Marco Silva | No longer Everton manager

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He needs 7 points out of the next 9 just to match Sam’s points total after 21 games (if they lose today).
Uhhhh, that hurts. So points wise there has been no improvement. Poor old Everton.

Djemba-Djemba

Everton at home is one of about 2 games all season under Mourinho where we actually played well and won.

That's an indictment of Everton.

Kapardin

He doesn't know how to set a defense. Third team in a row with same defensive problems now.

Decent manager but mental that some were talking about him to get United job.
I think it was due to the utter shit-show on display under LvG and Mourinho that caused people to lose their heads and call for hiring Marco Silva, Eddie Howe, Nuno Espirito Santo etc. Understandable considering our miserable situation. At one point, even I was like, feck it, give it to Howe, it can hardly get worse.

Some of the above are good managers who may go on to become special but they first need to cut their teeth at smaller clubs. Merely playing good football with Wolves, Bournemouth etc is not enough.

Nick7

I think it was due to the utter shit-show on display under LvG and Mourinho that caused people to lose their heads and call for hiring Marco Silva, Eddie Howe, Nuno Espirito Santo etc. Understandable considering our miserable situation. At one point, even I was like, feck it, give it to Howe, it can hardly get worse.

Some of the above are good managers who may go on to become special but they first need to cut their teeth at smaller clubs. Merely playing good football with Wolves, Bournemouth etc is not enough.
Think Howe is a far better manager than the other two.

Needham

You could see in the pre match greeting yesterday that he felt like the nervous junior to Pochettino's assured winner. Better get it right this time cause he's unlikely to get another chance.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Playing devils advocate for a minute but what is it you want them to achieve with Wolves & Bournemouth to prove themselves? I'd say playing good football and keeping them in the top half of the table is about as good as it gets with all respect to clubs like Bournemouth & Wolves. Would you expect them to challenge for the title? And before anyone says "Ranieri" well he was sacked six months later by the same club he did the impossible with. You could argue that someone like Eddie Howe has at least shown a level of consistency with a limited budget.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
6 goals conceded at home.

Shocking.
It's not so much their defence as the way they set to up to play against Spurs. They tried going head to head in an open game and so gave us exactly the situation we like the most. If they'd sat back much more, not played a high defensive line and been more cautious, then they might have gotten something from the game.

But no, they did exactly the same as last season when they got beaten 0 - 3 in the same fixture.

Cloud7

Weren’t our resident Portuguese football fans saying that out of the current batch of Portuguese managers kicking around, he was among the worst? I would have liked to tag them in this but I can’t remember any of them besides @Peyroteo

Kapardin

Playing devils advocate for a minute but what is it you want them to achieve with Wolves & Bournemouth to prove themselves? I'd say playing good football and keeping them in the top half of the table is about as good as it gets with all respect to clubs like Bournemouth & Wolves. Would you expect them to challenge for the title? And before anyone says "Ranieri" well he was sacked six months later by the same club he did the impossible with. You could argue that someone like Eddie Howe has at least shown a level of consistency with a limited budget.
Like how Pochettino moved from Southampton to Spurs, they need to make the step up to a decent sized club and finish in the top 6, perhaps win a domestic cup and prove that they can manage bigger egos than the players at Wolves or Bournemouth. Not necessarily in this league even, of course. What Emery did with Sevilla could be an example too.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
On one side, we keep saying we should have taken Poch from Southampton while on another side, we are saying Silva is a mid table coach . I really do not see a big difference between Poch at Southampton and Silva at Everton.
?

Pochettino took over Southampton in 15th mid-season and had them finish 8th the following year. Marco Silva has taken over a team that finished 8th and currently has them in 11th, having just spent £80m or so.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
?

Pochettino took over Southampton in 15th mid-season and had them finish 8th the following year. Marco Silva has taken over a team that finished 8th and currently has them in 11th, having just spent £80m or so.
And is the season over yet? I expect them to finish in top 8.
Howie also get thumped all the time and yet, he is a strong contender. When you play attacking game against one of the top teams, you will either reap the rewards or pay for it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Like how Pochettino moved from Southampton to Spurs, they need to make the step up to a decent sized club and finish in the top 6, perhaps win a domestic cup and prove that they can manage bigger egos than the players at Wolves or Bournemouth. Not necessarily in this league even, of course. What Emery did with Sevilla could be an example too.
Fair enough. I do agree that Pochettino is the ideal candidate but I'm not optimistic about it happening.

el3mel

The Howe thing is understandable and he'll get a chance at a big club in the future. Silva is just a terrible manager who will never get a chance at a big job.

Mick321

Yeah I reckon they'll be begging for Mourinho soon. Especially as Liverpool fans dont like him and they are all Everton really care about.

Seeing him at a smaller club with not great resources and a dutch dof would be hilarious to be fair.

DRM

Wait, so Paul Merson was right about him :eek:

Alabaster Codify7

Marcos Silva is a spoofer. He's somehow managed to con a lot of football fans into thinking he's some visionary new breed manager who's primed to flourish at a big club "if he's given a chance".

Bloke is a bang average midtable manager and always has been.

Spoof.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Hilarious how a load of people backed him cuz he continental and they wanted to seem like they were above pundits like Merson.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Doing poor. What i would worry about is Evertons lack of tactics or play. They dont look like they are drilled. Perhaps they are but for some reason its not translating to the football pitch.

DRM

Why did they get rid of big Sam anyway? A poster above said they finished 8th with him in charge, which let's face it is really good for Everton.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Hilarious how a load of people backed him cuz he continental and they wanted to seem like they were above pundits like Merson.
He's clueless when it comes to setting up a team - sure he may be "continental" but he's also defensively lacking. Everton got exactly what they asked for.