Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
If Martial had delivered such a shit performance, he wouldn't be anywhere near the team for a long period.

However i guess this is how it will go: Martial will probably start in the cup game, in a makeshift team that doesn't impress, and Rashford will be back in the starting lineup for the next PL game.

Vanya

He looked tired and leggy against Everton and probably needs a rest imo. If Martial produced a performance like the one we saw from Rashford against Everton everyone would have their knives out.

IMO both players need time and leeway. Both are young - consistency is something we cannot expect from them. Therefore feeling elated or let down or passing judgement on their future from a game to game basis makes no sense at all.

Instead we should expect consistency from Mkhi and Mata. And all the more reason we need to sign another world class RW and let Martial and Rashford compete for the LW while giving them the opportunity to make mistakes or underperform in the odd game without receiving a barrage of criticism.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
TBH, not many of our players score headed goals from open play. Weve done so more last few games, but before that? I wouldnt expect it given the way we cross into the box.

I dont agree hes a winger. Hes more pace than trickery. Id rather he works on finishing and being ice cold in front of goal with both feet. And making runs to stretch play, etc.
I think some of us football fans are perhaps guilty of not 'keeping up' with modern football evolution. I think Rashford's particular skill-set is suited to that of a wide forward - which has different requirements than a winger or a striker I think. The role is common in the game now, and seems an amalgamation of winger, striker and second striker. I think the fundamental tools for this role are speed and finishing. It is acceptable for a 'winger' to score 8 goals a season, however, good wide forwards should be near the 20 mark now. Players like Mané and Sanchez, fit into this mould, whereas Sané or Sterling are more wingers. I also suspect Barcelona may suffer in trying to replace a wide forward in Neymar with a winger in Dembele. Subtle differences, but Dembele is primarily a creator for me, and will never match Neymar's goal tally. He is more gifted than Mané, but probably won't match his goal returns either. Mbappé on the other hand, is suited for the wide forward role, but not that of a winger.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
He looked tired and you could see the stark difference in energy levels when Lingard came on. Hopefully Jose picks up on that and doesn't repeat last year's mistake of not rotating enough. We have enough wide options to mix it up regularly.

Gbenger

Rashford is an athlete. That's what he has shown. He's fast, but not the fastest. I've said it before and I'll say it now. His technical skills will prevent him from attaining world class levels. It's almost certainly too late in his development for him to suddenly develop close ball control skills, and a silky first touch. His footballing sense is also completely lacking. He seems incapable of dribbling with his head up. He finds himself in blind alley after blind alley.

So long as he has his speed, he will always be a danger against slow, or tiring defenders with his directness. However, as it stands right now, he often derails any attack he is involved with when he decides to attack rather than pass. He can improve the decision making part of his game, that comes with age. What I don't think he will be able to improve much, is his tight ball control skills, and his ability to do anything but knock the ball on and try to outrun the defender to it.
This exactly. You're only able to post this without so much criticism because Rashford has just had a bad game. Rashford didn't even do that badly yesterday because that the kind of game he played or level he played at is very much close to the norm for him when he starts a game but people are actually being harsher because he failed to score or assist and we could have lost the game. The criticism he's getting now is totally way over the top.

Rashford would've a decent game soon or score a goal and we are back to hearing how he's a better talent than Martial and then people start expecting too much again.
I just wish some people would make up their minds and stop being so fickle.

ReallyUSA

People are REALLY dissecting his skill set even though the kid isn't even done growing? He's 19, he's going to have shortcomings. He has players around him to learn from, and he will have great teachers to help him obtain a higher level of skill.

Andersons Dietician

He wasn't great yesterday but he seemed to be trying to play a bit more. Getting his head up making passes and not just mindlessly running up blind alleys. Tried to play more like Martial even. Realised he doesn't have to run with it every time it gets to him.
Problem was he just wasn't that great at it but it shows signs he is thinking about his game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rashford is an athlete. That's what he has shown. He's fast, but not the fastest. I've said it before and I'll say it now. His technical skills will prevent him from attaining world class levels. It's almost certainly too late in his development for him to suddenly develop close ball control skills, and a silky first touch. His footballing sense is also completely lacking. He seems incapable of dribbling with his head up. He finds himself in blind alley after blind alley.

So long as he has his speed, he will always be a danger against slow, or tiring defenders with his directness. However, as it stands right now, he often derails any attack he is involved with when he decides to attack rather than pass. He can improve the decision making part of his game, that comes with age. What I don't think he will be able to improve much, is his tight ball control skills, and his ability to do anything but knock the ball on and try to outrun the defender to it.

He is young and exciting now, and he is getting plenty of opportunity, so we will see. For me, Rashford has the better attitude, but Martial has the better talent. If only we could combine Lingard, Rashford and Martial. We take Lingards head, he's an intelligent, crafty player without much else going for him. We take Rashfords body and athleticism, cause he's a speed demon. We take Martials technique. If we could make one player out of those three, we'd have someone who is legitimately world class.
Margins are fine, and I'm not sure you can be so definitive as to what he will or won't become yet.

There isn't a great deal of difference between your assessment of Marcus Rashford and an unbiased breakdown of Gareth Bale's qualities. I've said a few times, but it is Bale and not Ronaldo who I liken him too most. I see no reason why he can't develop similarly here.

Nucks

RT History Department
People are REALLY dissecting his skill set even though the kid isn't even done growing? He's 19, he's going to have shortcomings. He has players around him to learn from, and he will have great teachers to help him obtain a higher level of skill.
The kind of technical skill I am talking about, is usually developed when the kid is a pre-teen. Formative years. Is it impossible for someone 19? I don't know, I don't think I've ever seen someone develop that foundational technique that late in any sport. I don't know if it can be done. I've just never seen it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He is young and exciting now, and he is getting plenty of opportunity, so we will see. For me, Rashford has the better attitude, but Martial has the better talent. If only we could combine Lingard, Rashford and Martial. We take Lingards head, he's an intelligent, crafty player without much else going for him. We take Rashfords body and athleticism, cause he's a speed demon. We take Martials technique. If we could make one player out of those three, we'd have someone who is legitimately world class.
His close control is absolutely 100% fine.

ghagua

Not sure what the issue is, but maybe Rashford is believing in his own hype. He looks to have become rather selfish and constantly choosing the wrong option. Hopefully he buckles up and realizes the team comes first.

El-Manos

I stand by it, i do not think Rashford is a special few talent in england. I think there are potentially better players in our academy than him. Being England's best player means feck all these days. Its like signing denmark' s best player. Lingard has no technical quality and is not a intellegent player and he is not a young player anymore, he is fecking as old as Pogba.
On rashford's(20 in a months time) case here are some of the best talents in england aged 19-21
  • Dele ali
  • Gab jesus
  • Ryan sessegnon
  • Davinson sanchez
  • Sane
  • Martial
  • Ilhenacho
And i would take all of them ahead of rashford. If we go to the world level he wont make it anywhere near.
Why si it so hard for people to accept rashford isnt as good as they think he is. If he were at west ham his best move would be to stoke/everton where he might have been a decent striker but thats it. Just like jhon o shea, wes brown. He is not a potential gary neville or a beckham standard player.
What the feck.

NoPace

The kind of technical skill I am talking about, is usually developed when the kid is a pre-teen. Formative years. Is it impossible for someone 19? I don't know, I don't think I've ever seen someone develop that foundational technique that late in any sport. I don't know if it can be done. I've just never seen it.
I think a lot of players improve in that regard. Just thinking about the Prem, Drogba comes to mind. Left Chelsea a different player technically than when he arrived. Gareth Barry is technically much, much better than when he was a teenage left back. N'Zonzi was nowhere as comfortable on the ball at Blackburn or even Stoke as he is now. Our own former striker Josh King has really improved technically. Steven Davis at Southampton is much sharper on the ball than he was as a youngster.

Who knows how Rashford will develop, but I'm optimistic. He won't be Bernardo Silva or Isco, but with his pace he may not need to be to be as effective.

U99ted

I stand by it, i do not think Rashford is a special few talent in england. I think there are potentially better players in our academy than him. Being England's best player means feck all these days. Its like signing denmark' s best player. Lingard has no technical quality and is not a intellegent player and he is not a young player anymore, he is fecking as old as Pogba.
On rashford's(20 in a months time) case here are some of the best talents in england aged 19-21
  • Dele ali
  • Gab jesus
  • Ryan sessegnon
  • Davinson sanchez
  • Sane
  • Martial
  • Ilhenacho
And i would take all of them ahead of rashford. If we go to the world level he wont make it anywhere near.
Why si it so hard for people to accept rashford isnt as good as they think he is. If he were at west ham his best move would be to stoke/everton where he might have been a decent striker but thats it. Just like jhon o shea, wes brown. He is not a potential gary neville or a beckham standard player.
You declare that and yet you've listed a Fulham player, and a player who's best move has been to go from Man City to bottom half Leicester City.

Dante

Average bang
Not sure what the issue is, but maybe Rashford is believing in his own hype. He looks to have become rather selfish and constantly choosing the wrong option. Hopefully he buckles up and realizes the team comes first.
I think the opposite was true. He was playing within himself, doing none of the things he normally does by instinct.

I reckon Mourinho gave him a specific set of instructions for the first time in his career. He's never played in front of a wingback like Young before and struggled to adjust to the new role the manager had given him. You could see Rashford constantly check himself and try to do things that weren't natural to him. It was a bit worrying that his head dropped as a result... but, you know... he's a teenager.

I'm going to chalk it up to a learning experience. Hopefully.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
  • Dele ali
  • Gab jesus
  • Ryan sessegnon
  • Davinson sanchez
  • Sane
  • Martial
  • Ilhenacho
Nice wum, oh wait you are serious.

stepic

some on that list are a bit silly, but Alli, Jesus, Sane and Martial are all definitely better attackers right now, with more potential.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think it's ridiculous to suggest that at 19, Rashford can't improve his close control, touch, or dribbling. Remember Thierry Henry in the '98 world cup or with Monaco? He was nowhere near the technical player he ended up becoming. He worked his ass off and managed to add to his game beyond just pace and finishing. It's too early to make any definitive statement about a young player like him or even a 21 yr old like Martial.

SATA

He'll be fine. He's too good to end up with the likes of Fraizer Campbell or Josh King. I would prefer him to play as a striker though (watch how he played against Chelsea at OT last season or at City during van Gaal) but he's not going to take the spot away from Lukaku

ti vu

He'll be fine. He's too good to end up with the likes of Fraizer Campbell or Josh King. I would prefer him to play as a striker (watch how he played against Chelsea at OT last season) but he's not going to take the spot away from Lukaku
Problem with Rashford as central forward is he is still one dimension. He gets lost vs deep lying defense. One prime example vs Hull in the first leg of EL. He had no space to run behind and he became useless. By playing wide, he was given space to make use of his pace. Rashford is yet to reach a stage where he can lead the line regardless opposition's tactic.

Dobbs

Problem with Rashford as central forward is he is still one dimension. He gets lost vs deep lying defense. One prime example vs Hull in the first leg of EL. He had no space to run behind and he became useless. By playing wide, he was given space to make use of his pace. Rashford is yet to reach a stage where he can lead the line regardless opposition's tactic.
Biggest myth in football for me. See it said a lot about quick players.

No forward thinks "great, a deep lying defence. Just my thing." It's harder for any striker to play against. His pace is still a massive boost no matter how deep the defensive line is.

ti vu

No forward thinks "great, a deep lying defence. Just my thing." It's harder for any striker to play against. His pace is still a massive boost no matter how deep the defensive line is.
Deep defense is tough, that's always valid point. Some other players just have the know how to make do with it and get relatively good result. Some struggle. We can agree to disagree but I hold my opinion that Rashford yet to develop his game to be able to hold his own in a crowded box. Leicester game at OT in LVG second season was another game of this type where he was kid vs man in the box.

Dobbs

Deep defense is tough, that's always valid point. Some other players just have the know how to make do with it and get relatively good result. Some struggle. We can agree to disagree but I hold my opinion that Rashford yet to develop his game to be able to hold his own in a crowded box. Leicester game at OT in LVG second season was another game of this type where he was kid vs man in the box.
United face deep lying defenses almost every week. Therefore so has Rashford since he broke through. I reckon he's coped well so far.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think every day that passes without a football match is leading to his performance being over-analysed now.

He had a poor game, but I didn't see some of these opinions about him before he game. And I am a poster who thinks Martial is a superior player to him and have said that much many times, but I think some with that view need to be careful not to get polarised in this pitting of one against the other.

Classical Mechanic

A deep lying defence means there is less space for the forward to operate in and do damage. Football is all about finding space, if there is less then it becomes more difficult.

Dobbs

A deep lying defence means there is less space for the forward to operate in and do damage. Football is all about finding space, if there is less then it becomes more difficult.
True but that also applies to every other forward in the world. That's why teams do everything they can to reduce space between the lines. Not sure why we're saying it's a problem for Rashford in particular. As I said above he's spent most of his senior career so far playing against that tactic.

It's not like Rashford can only do any damage if he has 20 yards of clear grass in front of him.

Bestietom

Rashford lost the ball a lot on Sunday, he needs to let it off early but this will most likely come with game time and maturity.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's careless, not great at dribbling, and a little selfish these days. I don't think he's suited to the winger role, at all. As a striker or wide forward in a front three, he'd shine. He gets himself into good positions to score and he clearly has the pace to get in behind defenses. His best performances have been as a striker. Martial is simply better as a winger, although, he, too, would be suited to a more advanced role.

NotQuiteManc

He had a bad game. I think he should be tried more at right flank as he has a pretty mean crossing in him.

ti vu

United face deep lying defenses almost every week. Therefore so has Rashford since he broke through. I reckon he's coped well so far.
His best games IMO were all vs a less packed defense. Overall he did well in his development but as my initial point was he is not there yet to lead the line regardless of oppositions. In comparison Lukaku has that extra dimension in his play and is a better central forward for the time being.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I am a big fan of him, largely because he is local and definitely has something about him.

That said, I think he seems to be a really poor dribbler. He only seems to beat his man through a combination of fortuitous ricochets.

Hope it's something he can improve as he has lightening pace to work with.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Looked completely unbothered against Everton. Hence why I feel he should start up front tonight with Lukaku getting a rest. Maybe a goal or two will get him goal-hungry.

Stacks

He is a professional footballer playing for the team top of the league so its natural really. This isn't the under 15s. He is doing ok though

AshRK

This thread is very funny, one week he becomes the greatest talent and then next week he is a sunday league footballer according to some. Jeez, let us get a grip. No one can predict the future and there is no reason why he cannot become a top player. One bad game doesnt make him a crap footballer. He has a long way to go but the best thing about him is his attitude and that will help him immensely.

redom

This thread is very funny, one week he becomes the greatest talent and then next week he is a sunday league footballer according to some. Jeez, let us get a grip. No one can predict the future and there is no reason why he cannot become a top player. One bad game doesnt make him a crap footballer. He has a long way to go but the best thing about him is his attitude and that will help him immensely.
To be fair those opinions are probably held by different people using individual appearances to strengthen their claims rather than people changing their minds about him week in week out.

His attitude and application are probably his best qualities, he's already improved a lot since his debut just over 18 months ago and if that trajectory continues he's going to be a very good player and he's already a very useful one. It's interesting he's playing up front tonight, I wonder if that's still where we see him long term or if it's just a case of no other real options right now with Zlatan still to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.