Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just depends how you define sitters.

To me, Rashford should bury that chance. He had almost the entire left side of the goal to bury it.

The replay from his back showed it all.
I also expect a United forward to bury that.

legball

He doesn't look up when he has the ball, it's one of his many flaws, could have played Lukaku through on goal but choose to run with the ball, as always.

Dobbs

Against Real Madrid that's a sitter. You get very few chances and normally they don't come clearer than that.

I've not written him off but we don't have space for passengers this season and he should be judged on contribution and not age or future potential.
Sure but you've also got to make sure your expectations are in line with his age and experience. There's no point expecting seasoned performances from a 19/20 year old.

Just for some perspective...Beckham was on loan at Preston at Rashford's age. An unknown at that stage.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was our most positive attacking player tonight. Wanted the ball and willing to take players on, he is fearless, doesn't matter who he comes up against.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sure but you've also got to make sure your expectations are in line with his age and experience. There's no point expecting seasoned performances from a 19/20 year old.

Just for some perspective...Beckham was on loan at Preston at Rashford's age. An unknown at that stage.
My expectations do not factor in his age. Thats my point.

I agree Rashford should be on loan and not in our starting XI.

Pls read my post again.

Last edited:

MattyB1986

Next thing Rashford needs in his development is to look up when running or shooting the ball... Head down all the time. Is that an English winger thing? because Young was notoriously bad for that too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good cameo but he really needed to take that chance. That's the difference between winning and losing.

Madrid had 3 chances and scored twice. We have 3 chances and scored once.

I don't get why he didn't control it with his right foot then curl it in? Instead he let it run across him, navas called his bluff and showed him the near post, there was so much room to slot it in!

Dobbs

My expectations do not factor in his age. Thats my point.

I agree Rashford should be on loan and not in our starting XI.

Pls read my post again.
Frankly that's ridiculous. Why would you expect mature, top level contributions from a 19 year old?

At any stage of a player's career expectations are partly based on the guys age.

For more perspective..at 19/20 Keane had just left Cobh Ramblers, Scholes wasn't first choice. These are legends of the club. Thankfully SAF did take age into consideration and gave young players time.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Frankly that's ridiculous. Why would you expect mature, top level contributions from a 19 year old?

At any stage of a player's career expectations are partly based on the guys age.

For more perspective..at 19/20 Keane had just left Cobh Ramblers, Scholes wasn't first choice. These are legends of the club. Thankfully SAF did take age into consideration and gave young players time.
So you think we should sacrifice points this season so Rashford gets a proper education?

Pls don't moan when we finish outside top 4 then.

Dobbs

So you think we should sacrifice points this season so Rashford gets a proper education?

Pls don't moan when we finish outside top 4 then.
I'm sure there's enough quality in this squad to get top four and give Rashford enough game time to evolve.

You're creating an either/or situation that doesn't exist.

What's your alternative? Have a squad that only contains players at the top of their game?

AXVnee7

As other people mentioned even the Madrid players were missing sitters. Rashford usually puts those chances away. We were unfortunate.

His free kick was terrible, but then so was Ronaldo's.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm sure there's enough quality in this squad to get top four and give Rashford enough game time to evolve.

You're creating an either/or situation that doesn't exist.

What's your alternative? Have a squad that only contains players at the top of their game?
Well sqaud has not changed up front (Lukaku=Ibra) and we fell way short last season. Not sure why I'd expect that to dramatically change.

I'd rather we had a proven front 4 like we always had under SAF. At least til we win the league. We can have young players after that.

Dobbs

Well sqaud has not changed up front (Lukaku=Ibra) and we fell way short last season. Not sure why I'd expect that to dramatically change.

I'd rather we had a proven front 4 like we always had under SAF. At least til we win the league. We can have young players after that.
But dropping Rashford will get us into the top four?

SAF's policy was the exact opposite of yours. He always had young players in and around the team, having the patience to evolve them. Put up with their immaturity in the short term.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
But dropping Rashford will get us into the top four?

SAF's policy was the exact opposite of yours. He always had young players in and around the team, having the patience to evolve them. Put up with their immaturity in the short term.
I'm sure we'll revist these points as the season progresses

luke511

Seems to have picked up the English winger curse, all dribble and pace but no consistency in his end product.

Sylar

I think he scores if its on the other side and its his right foot :nervous:

Mr Smith

People can bitch about the missed chance (and that is an issue) but the fact is he looked really dangerous when he came on, gave the best right back in the world a torrid time, and probably earned himself a start against West Ham.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He did well when he came on but really should've scored that chance. The kind of chance a top striker wouldn't think twice about converting.

I don't think we'd be doing him any favours if we keep judging his contributions based on his age. By all accounts, he seems to be a hardworking kid who can handle pressure well. He might come good if we started expecting more from him.

NoPace

Fantastic when he came on. Made a big difference down that left, even with no left back to help him out. Only disappointment was that he didn't finish his chance.

Should definitely start vs West Ham on Sunday.
I think that when we play 4-3-3, which will be most of the time, Rashford and Mata start the season as our first choice wingers ahead of Martial, Mkhitaryan and Lingard, with Mata maybe benched in some tougher games for a pacier option since Mourinho will want to play on the break much of the time anyways.

IWat

I guess the whole point is, he isn't on loan. He played 32 times for us in the league last season as a forward/winger and scored 5 goals. That shouldn't be looked at as being the standard for being considered a starter for a team hoping to challenge for the title when you consider you need 80 goals + to do so. He's quick, he has talent and confidence yes and should 100% be a consideration in our future plans. But honestly the fact he and Martial are currently the only 2 players capable of pretty much providing any pace or width means he is having to be shoehorned into playing a role in the squad he isn't at the level to fulfil yet.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Should have taken his chance but the difference between him and Lingard is stark. Our left side looked so much more threatening once he came on.

hubbuh

I'm sure we'll revist these points as the season progresses
It seems like you're suggesting Rashford might be the reason why we could potentially fall short this season.. when it was he who scored the decisive goal in the EL semi-final, who was instrumental in our best league win over the course of the season against Chelsea, and who was our single best attacking player outside of Ibra. Mkhi, Martial, Lingard, Rooney and to a lesser extent Mata all proved to be less than reliable last season, whether it be through injury or just not showing up, so it seems odd you'd pick out Rashford as one that might provide some problems given all the evidence presented to you suggests the complete opposite.

If he had scored with that chance everybody would be singing his praises. It's frustrating that he didn't bury that but the totality of his performance was positive considering his age.
The problem is he never scores those chances. He needs to start being more clinical, as soon as he picked that ball up and was one on one I knew he was going to miss it.

Arka_BleedingRed

I didn't see why he even went right. Was the only place not to put the shot.
Because when one on one, Rashford can only finish in the bottom right or left corner. He cannot improvise his finish. Based on what he has shown till now though.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought he was fine, he at least attempt things and was dangerous. Apart from that terrible 1v1 situation where it showed to everyone that he's still got to learn a lot in terms of composure, he was alright I thought.

RedPnutz

If we do not expect a mature performance from Rashford then it is also fair for him to get less playing time if we are chasing top honours.

If fans keep griping about wanting to win the major trophies but would take less mature, non-top level performance from a United forward; isn't that accepting mediocrity/lower standards as we keep hearing about in the Fellaini and Lingard threads?

Ashley R1+O

I fully expected him to munch that one vs one when he was put through with the neat interplay. Haven't seen a replay, what happened? Seemed to get his feet muddled or something. He's a bright talent and relentless with his attitude and he'll go far this season if he can find a vein of form and confidence.

ManuMou

Good cameo but he really needed to take that chance. That's the difference between winning and losing.

Madrid had 3 chances and scored twice. We have 3 chances and scored once.

I don't get why he didn't control it with his right foot then curl it in? Instead he let it run across him, navas called his bluff and showed him the near post, there was so much room to slot it in!
Not true.

Real had 6 chances (including hitting the woodwork)
MU had 3 chances (4 chances, if you include our 1st counter where Pogba should hav passed to Mkhi on the right)

OldTrevil

Thought he played fairly well today. Was a massive nuisance to them after coming on and nearly scored.
He missed as close to an open chance as you can get, with Navas positioned poorly. He made a couple of other poor decisions as well and was the most frustrating for me.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Setting aside the miss, which was unusual since he hit it with his left, he looked like he belong to this level of football.

redIndianDevil

Marcus Rashford is a typical English young talent - technically poor, make up for said inferior technique by running around madly and conceding niggling fouls, absolutely no control of the ball when dribbling, try pointless dragbacks, flicks and skill moves and still end up running into a blind alley and a lack of composure which leads to poor finishing. I still cannot understand how he was allowed to take corners, set-pieces when his delivery is so crap, isn't Pogba a better free kick taker?

I cannot for the life of me understand how people on here rate Rashford higher than Martial. I was totally against bringing in Perisic, but if Rashford and Lingard are going to be ahead of Martial in the left side, then I pray to god that Woodward pays whatever Inter want for Perisic.

Dobbs

I guess the whole point is, he isn't on loan. He played 32 times for us in the league last season as a forward/winger and scored 5 goals. That shouldn't be looked at as being the standard for being considered a starter for a team hoping to challenge for the title when you consider you need 80 goals + to do so. He's quick, he has talent and confidence yes and should 100% be a consideration in our future plans. But honestly the fact he and Martial are currently the only 2 players capable of pretty much providing any pace or width means he is having to be shoehorned into playing a role in the squad he isn't at the level to fulfil yet.
I agree with that, good post.

However your point is really about the makeup of the squad rather than Rashford. We shouldn't be depending on a 19 year old but then I don't think we are. If Mourinho can't get us challenging for the league after the money that's been spent and the quality we have something is wrong. He can get us there and have Rashford play an important role. Both things are possible.

If we do not expect a mature performance from Rashford then it is also fair for him to get less playing time if we are chasing top honours.

If fans keep griping about wanting to win the major trophies but would take less mature, non-top level performance from a United forward; isn't that accepting mediocrity/lower standards as we keep hearing about in the Fellaini and Lingard threads?
How can we? He's 19. I've mentioned a few absolute legends of the club who weren't capable of mature performances at 19 so why would anybody expect it of Rashford?

I agree his playing time should be a little less than it has been but as I've said above, that's a squad problem rather than a Rashford problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.