5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ10

Should have been leading those lads but he played like one of them.

Hopefully he improves.

dablem_10

i dont care about stats or goals much, what worries me each match more and more is his decision making, selfishness, limited ability in small space, running only in straight lines. I dont care he didnt score, but interplay was at Chongs level. Too big ego for too low football IQ. I knew it was almost end of match, he was at line, mata in middle absolutely alone 20 meters, counter attack 3 on 3 i think and he run into defender...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That last moment, when he carried the ball forward and instead of passing to Mata he chose to clatter into the defender - that is Marcus Rashford.
That was embarrassing.

He was poor tonight. No two ways about it. He's a striker hiding out wide. We saw that with Lukaku last season: The pressure to perform as a goalscorer has got to him, he feels more freedom out wide where it's not on his shoulders to decide games.

Sad turn if you ask me. Rashford was an instinctual number 9 when he broke through. Martial is clearly better in that role now though, while Greenwood is creeping up behind and James does more at wide left.

Kopral Jono

That last moment, when he carried the ball forward and instead of passing to Mata he chose to clatter into the defender - that is Marcus Rashford.
Spot on. I may sound like a broken record given the number of times I've said the following in this forum, but I'm truly convinced that Rashford has a footballing IQ of about 60.

Canagel

How is he wearing the number 10 shirt it's a mystery. Too overhyped. He should wear a high number like the other kids.

spiriticon

How is he wearing the number 10 shirt it's a mystery. Too overhyped. He should wear a high number like the other kids.
Agreed. Should have stuck with 19. He is not ready for the #10 and should stay far away from the #9

Irrational.

He's still young and missing a mentor figure, which he's never really had for a reasonable amount of time It would've done him the world of good having someone like Ibra around for another season. He lacks that leadership and big game mentality.

People saying he's still young... he's into his 5th season in the first team. He should be progressing way faster than he is, in fact its difficult to say what he has actually improved on in that time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not defending either of them, but I think people should calm down a bit about Martial being much better centre forward than him because he proved absolutely nothing as a centre forward yet, it's been 3 games into this season ffs, and many here have decided that somehow Martial is far better striker than him. Their record for Manchester United is almost identical, Rashford has scored 48 goals in 10895 minutes, and Martial has scored 50 goals in 11579 minutes, with both being shifted central and wide from time to time, and both having mixed performances everywhere and having bad periods through pretty much every season.

In general, Rashford takes more shots per games and has better movement which makes people think he is worse finisher because he generally misses more chances, but pretty much every striker and manager will say that player who gets into good goalscoring chances has a better chance to become better goalscorer in his career. Whether Rashford will improve his finishing or not is another thing, but for now they are basically identical when it comes to scoring for Manchester United, and I really don't see why people see Martial as some safe option as a centre forward when he has other flaws himself.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not defending either of them, but I think people should calm down a bit about Martial being much better centre forward than him because he proved absolutely nothing as a centre forward yet, it's been 3 games into this season ffs, and many here have decided that somehow Martial is far better striker than him. Their record for Manchester United is almost identical, Rashford has scored 48 goals in 10895 minutes, and Martial has scored 50 goals in 11579 minutes, with both being shifted central and wide from time to time, and both having mixed performances everywhere and having bad periods through pretty much every season.

In general, Rashford takes more shots per games and has better movement which makes people think he is worse finisher because he generally misses more chances, but pretty much every striker and manager will say that player who gets into good goalscoring chances has a better chance to become better goalscorer in his career. Whether Rashford will improve his finishing or not is another thing, but for now they are basically identical when it comes to scoring for Manchester United, and I really don't see why people see Martial as some safe option as a centre forward when he has other flaws himself.
This.

Sylar

The issue he has is (and that a few of our youth will have is) who will be the mentor to take pressure of them. Example ive seen Cole miss chances like him for us, but then others would get goals or create more chances for him.

I think his finishing today didnt help. But what also doesnt help is after that, he goes and does selfish things instead of doing the hard work for the team to ensure we get the win. Taking shots from distance, or just running and running with the ball without passing. Its the one thing a lot of players talk about, when things arent going your way, you need to work hard for the team to make up for it, but he doesnt seem to do that.

Ill tell you one thing though, the confidence is oozing whenever he lines up to take a free kick. He truly looks like a superstar just before he takes it.

mancan92

For me its more rashford's link up play and decision making is absolutely terrible.

VJ1762

I have been saying that this guy is absolutely terrible and it showed tonight. Can't even score against this team. The sooner Mason takes his spot, the better.

James_42

The most senior attacking player on the pitch tonight and it didn't look like it at all.

He has barely improved his game since he made his debut, it's bizarre.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Doesn't his contract have goal related clauses? Maybe he's trying too hard to hit those bonuses, Ronaldo thrived on his bet with SAF, Rashford seems to be crumbling under the pressure.

He's a good player, but he isnt a striker, a right forward that's trying to be something he's not, he looked better when he first broke through, which is worrying.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Watching the highlights he didn’t do much wrong. Some good shots that the keeper happened to save. It happens. I’d be worried if he didn’t get the chances.

Everyone’s purring over Greenwood and he only scores as the keeper lets a fairly straightforward shot through his legs. Pause the match at the moment the ball leaves Rashford’s foot on his two first half chances and I’d favour both of them to hit the back of the net.

pablo__p

I genuinely think what he unfortunately has missed and really could have done with is a loan spell somewhere afar from Old Trafford safe space where he could prove his real worth.

Sadly, instead we gave him no 10, massive wages and keep turning blind eye on his everlasting poor streak.

Obiorahking_

People really out here saying he hasn't changed at all since his debut are actually insane. The criticisms are valid true, but I don't understand the idea that it is a linear growth model for a guy that made his debut when he 18.

Suedesi

Despite the stats, Martial is a much more intelligent player in how he uses the ball, when to dribble, when to shoot, when to lay it off. Rashford is more instinctive and has a higher workrate. Neither are ideal to be honest for Man Utd's #9.

Swiss_Red89

He really seems to be a smart young men when he talks. But on the pitch he often lacks a bit of IQ. The scene at the end where he dribbles into the defender instead of passing it to Mata was a bit symbolic.

I really hope the coaching staff is working with him on that. Show him those scenes again and tell him what the better options are in those situations. Unfortunately i'm not sure this happens.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Sorry to say but the boy wants to be the hero. He has become way too egotistical of a player. It was alright when he got a few minutes at the end of a match to change the game, because he could just run and create something when everybody was standing still but he just doesn't provide enough. His ego-tendancies means he takes up positions where we'd rather see other players that are more lethal in front of goal. The most frustrating thing however is when he directly chooses not to pass the ball for the betterment of the team but for himself. I feel the toxicity that went on during the period he came into the team may have stained on him a bit, sadly.

Bwuk

He had to play as a leader in our attack, as the most experienced of the 4 and I thought he was poor.
L

Red00012

Ole needs to do what Southgate did with him.
James left Martial up too Greenwood right.

Rashford to come off the bench when we’re 3-0 up

Based Adnan

The sooner he stops being the main man at the club the better. Quite obviously not good enough. Finishing and decision making are hilariously bad. Looking so far away from a 20 goals all competitions player let alone 20 in the league.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He really seems to be a smart young men when he talks. But on the pitch he often lacks a bit of IQ. The scene at the end where he dribbles into the defender instead of passing it to Mata was a bit symbolic.

I really hope the coaching staff is working with him on that. Show him those scenes again and tell him what the better options are in those situations. Unfortunately i'm not sure this happens.
It happens trust me, just when a player is that focused on themselves and their own personal glory, it clouds their better judgement. Rashford is a great player, he just needs to stop trying so hard to do it himself, start playing simple football again.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I keep telling myself he’s still a young kid but he’s so inconsistent at times.

I have no idea how he manages to run the ball out of play so often also :lol:

His finishing was a real let down tonight, I think he should have started on the left as he had zero space in the middle and his movement just isn’t good enough.

arnie_ni

His finishing is woeful. Such a drastic change from his youth days and when he first burst on the scene under lvg.

Youd swear its two different players.

Status
Not open for further replies.