Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
What concerns me about him is how he seems to have developed or improved very little since his break through season. Most footballers improves immensely between the age of 18-22 and he has shown very little improvement and is still incredibly inconsistent. Like one match he can look like prime Ronaldo and the next one he looks like a poor mans Welbeck

littleman

"If you're good enough you're old enough"

If all the defense here around Rashford is his YOUTH then the implication is he's not good enough.

Let Rashford meet his friend, the bench.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You can tell he’s picking up goal scoring positions based on countless ole training hours. It’s just a shame his natural finishing is garbage and can’t really be coached like masons

hubbuh

We desperately need a reliable 20 goal a season striker to mentor and take the pressure off Rashford! Someone like Lewandowski! He looks like he can’t cope with the expectation at this stage
Which is completely understandable. It’s been a blessing and a curse for him that he’s come through during a time when we have no consistent forward players, and haven’t done for fecking ages (last one being van Persie!). As others have said the club failed to make the right signings so hoisted him with the tag of being the go-to guy to effectively minimise their own failings. You can’t blame him for wanting to believe he could match the insane expectation. No doubt we’d see huge improvements in his game if wasn’t constantly itching to prove he can be ‘that guy’.

CR1

I still very much believe in Rashford.

He's out of form at the moment, yes, but so is the team as a whole. Let's not pretend we've played particularly well since the Chelsea game on the opening day of the season, even in our two recent wins.

In 2018/2019 Rashford scored 10 PL goals, despite playing 50 % of the season out of position in a woefully dysfunctional team and another 25 % injured. During the remaining 25 % when Ole first came in Rashford was absolutely flying and everyone was saying how good he was.

Based on that, you'd have to think Rashford can get 20 league goals in a season where the team is playing well as a whole and he is starting centrally. But even if he doesn't he's still a very useful player in many other ways. Does Firmino get 20 league goals a season for Liverpool? No, yet they won the CL with him as an integral part of their team. It's all about finding the best roles for each player and getting the most out of the squad as a whole. Also, I think football might be moving away from the 30-40 goals a season strikers anyway. I think the most PL goals any player scored last season was 22. Rashford still got half of that despite the factors I mentioned above.

He's got great pace, movement, dedication, work rate and many other attributes. Particularly, he's very good at stretching the opposition's defense and running onto through balls from the likes of Pogba. Yes, there's also a lot of room for improvement with regards to his box-play etc.

He is playing too many matches and should be rested. Personally I wouldn't have started him yesterday and instead played Lingard as a false 9. So I would do a bit of rotation and then bring Rashford back to play centrally together with Martial in the following line-up, where he would have the added responsibility of occasionally drifting out wide right in order to provide width there:

--------Martial Rashford--------
James----------------------------
---Pogba---Fred---McTominay---
Shaw - Maguire - Lindelöf - AWB
--------------DDG-----------------

I think that is how you get he best out of him. Allow him to play to his strengths and stop focusing too much on his finishing right now, we have other players who can share that responsibility.

Reactions: Niall

Djemba-Djemba

Watching the highlights he didn’t do much wrong. Some good shots that the keeper happened to save. It happens. I’d be worried if he didn’t get the chances.

Everyone’s purring over Greenwood and he only scores as the keeper lets a fairly straightforward shot through his legs. Pause the match at the moment the ball leaves Rashford’s foot on his two first half chances and I’d favour both of them to hit the back of the net.
Well there's your problem right there.

The highlights won't show him constantly putting his head down and running into defenders, or running the ball straight out of play which he did on numerous occasions last night.

I'm a big fan of Rashford and I still think he can become a top player, but he was woeful last night.

Shinjch

Just an unreliable player. I fear this unreliability will always be a feature to his game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He is paid and treated like a key player, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to perform like one.
Why?

Is it his fault he got a big contract? Is it his fault he's considered a key player?

He's 22, the fact that he's on big money and is one of our senior players doesn't change that. You can't suddenly expect a 22 year old to be at their peak because of that. Clearly he's not a freak of nature like Rooney or Ronaldo and needs longer to develop, like most strikers. Look at Sterling, he was unbelievably inconsistent at 22, couldn't finish for shit.

No doubt Rashford is far too inconsistent to lead the line at Utd right now and be one of our most important players, but that's due to the stupidity of the club and Ole for doing that, not him.

ottosec

Why?

Is it his fault he got a big contract? Is it his fault he's considered a key player?
What a weird thing to say...

Do you think the club went out and offered him a top contract out of the blue? He clearly fancies himself as a star and demanded to be played accordingly. So, we, and no doubt the club too, expect performances that reflect that.

With fame and money comes responsibility, that's life. Last night he was the senior attacker, the one who should have bailed us out if we needed it, and he was the attacker who let us down the most.

This is his 5th season in the first team, he has 170 games played for the club, he can hardly be considered a youngster anymore. Or maybe he's the next Lingard who at 27 is still "developing"?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What a weird thing to say...

Do you think the club went out and offered him a top contract out of the blue? He clearly fancies himself as a star and demanded to be played accordingly. So, we, and no doubt the club too, expect performances that reflect that.

With fame and money comes responsibility, that's life. Last night he was the senior attacker, the one who should have bailed us out if we needed it, and he was the attacker who let us down the most.

This is his 5th season in the first team, he has 170 games played for the club, he can hardly be considered a youngster anymore. Or maybe he's the next Lingard who at 27 is still "developing"?
Except that's a stupid comparison because he's TWENTY TWO i.e. nowhere near his peak as a footballer.

it's unreal the amount of times I've seen young players dismissed on here because they haven't been world beaters at that age.

Your argument makes no sense, he wanted a wage, the club gave it to him, why does that suddenly mean he's expected to be a star right now because his agent got him a really good contract? Besides, the market is so insane right now that his wage has really been overblown anyway. He'd have probably gone somewhere on a free and got that amount of money regardless if we didn't sign him up.

Right now Rashford is clearly not good enough to lead the line here, I don't think anyone doubts that, but there's every chance he could be good enough for us in the future, we've seen the talent in him plenty of times.

ottosec

Except that's a stupid comparison because he's TWENTY TWO i.e. nowhere near his peak as a footballer.

it's unreal the amount of times I've seen young players dismissed on here because they haven't been world beaters at that age.

Your argument makes no sense, he wanted a wage, the club gave it to him, why does that suddenly mean he's expected to be a star right now because his agent got him a really good contract? Besides, the market is so insane right now that his wage has really been overblown anyway. He'd have probably gone somewhere on a free and got that amount of money regardless if we didn't sign him up.

Right now Rashford is clearly not good enough to lead the line here, I don't think anyone doubts that, but there's every chance he could be good enough for us in the future, we've seen the talent in him plenty of times.
You don't seem to or don't want to understand simple, obvious things, so I don't see the point in continuing this discussion with you.

red4ever 79

Really poor again. If he cant put two one on one chances away at home to friggin Astana. Club have backed him with a big contract believed in the hype. Never in a million years is this guy going to lead the line and score the goals needed for us. I would even say his place on the left should be taken away as well as Dan James has been much brighter there. Poor hold up play, poor IQ, cant finish for sure cant take free kicks. He's a trier though.

red4ever 79

You can tell he’s picking up goal scoring positions based on countless ole training hours. It’s just a shame his natural finishing is garbage and can’t really be coached like masons
This. Against Southampton he wasnt even in those spaces. He took up those spaces last night but you can see he is not a finisher. He doesnt have that instinct. Martial and Mason have it.

Water Melon

Rashy is Rashy and is not fit to lead the line for us. Mason and Anthony are better CFs, and Dan James is the better player on left wing. Marcus needs to step it up big time in the future. In the meantime should be benched to make space for players who are performing better. A good trier, local lad, but can not lead the line for a top top club.

Alabaster Codify7

200k a week, and several clear-cut goal scoring chances against a Kazakhstani team on par with one of the poor sides from the Championship. No goals.

That contract will be another disaster in the near future when realisation kicks in for some people. Rashy is not good enough to carry a big club as the main striker. Extremely poor.

red4ever 79

Even Ole knows now as well. Look at his comments after the game

On Mason
For sure it’s natural for him to play football, it’s natural for him to score goals, in and around the box he knows how to hit the ball.

On the team (Rashy)
When you don’t score in the first half from four or five massive massive chances, you always wonder if it’s going to be one of those nights when you get punished for being sloppy,” he said.

settembrini

We have to stop this idea that he can develop into two players in one. It's not good for him and has been going on for years.

In pre-season he played both left wing and upfront. At the start of the season he was on the left. Then Martial got injured and he went upfront. Then he played for England on the left. Then he came back to United and was upfront. Yesterday he started upfront and then played most of the second half on the left. When Martial is fit again he will probably go back to the left.

When young players first come into the team it's okay to play them in a couple of positions because any experience is good experience. But this is Rashford's fourth season as a starter. He has played over 200 games for United and England. At this point it's doing him more harm than good.

Kurton

His wage is important because, with the contract, he, manager and the club agreed that he will be one of the main attackers in the team. The wages basically makes his a starter and that comes with expectations. No club can have players on wages like that and have another one to do all the work while he still learns. Works the same way in every field of work. Yes, it's the club who gave him that contract, but it does not absolve him of the responsibilities that come with it.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Marcus Rash-Fraud

Acts like a senior player, paid like a senior player, but we have to consider him like a rookie ?

Never. He was poor yesterday. Didn't scored out of his 3 huge chances and this affected his confidence.

Ole played him (wrongly) on the left yesterday and he was less effective.

An overall poor performace

HowieC

Pretty amazing how he’s the least talented (and i mean talented not just current form) among our young attackers James, Mason, Martial (including him here although hes a little older), with the others showing better technique and better game iq, and yet all we keep hearing is hes young.

It seems like though Rashford lacks close control, finishing, iq, passing, hold up, heading he does have the two great talents of being young , and being fast.

I mean thats worth 200k/week and a starter spot right?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There are two thing I hate the most about football:
  1. When a striker hits the ball directly into the goal keeper but it's still marked as "a shot on target" or "good effort" (yeah, as if the target is the keeper)
  2. When a goal keeper doesn't move much and the striker hits the ball directly into him but it's still marked as "a save" and even "a great save"
The way He took his chances it almost looked like He took the piss. He just fecking hit it into the goalkeeper and it's not even Alisson ffs.

littleman

His wage is important because, with the contract, he, manager and the club agreed that he will be one of the main attackers in the team. The wages basically makes his a starter and that comes with expectations. No club can have players on wages like that and have another one to do all the work while he still learns. Works the same way in every field of work. Yes, it's the club who gave him that contract, but it does not absolve him of the responsibilities that come with it.
Responsibility is a complex word when it comes to this issue, I think it's simpler than that.. it's a fairness issue.

The club pays Rashford like a superstar because it expects him to perform like a superstar. If he doesn't, he's a net negative drag to MUFC because he's being paid wages that could otherwise go to other players that could enhance the team.

None of his defenders here have a rational position when it comes to defending Rashford. If you worked for a manager in your office who was younger than you and paid better than you, but fumbles simple tasks and doesn't pull his weight.. would you be unhappy? Or are you gonna be OK with a colleague saying, "but your manager is young!! Give him time"

Complete irrational and stupid position from the Rashford defenders here.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Since Rashford has come into the first team he's been played on the Right,Left,Centre and (using old school PES term here) as a Second Striker.

You compare that to someone like Abraham's at Chelsea. Whether on loan or when he's recently been featuring for Chelsea he's predominantly being used as a centre forward.

He's grown into that role due to learning that position in the reserves and,more importantly,on loan at a good competitive level.

Rashford on the otherhand has just been thrown around here,there and everywhere. That cannot have helped his progression one bit,though people seem to suggest the more roles a young player learns the more better he's adaptable for future scenario's. I solely disagree with that.

Look at Ronaldo. There's this myth that Ronaldo featured across the front line for United in his early days.Not true. Ronaldo was a right winger for 2 years straight only in 1 or 2 games would he feature on the left.
SAF didn't over-complicate things when putting young players into the squad and why would you ?
Its absolutely ridiculous to over complicate things for a young guy breaking into this sport.

One day Rashford is instructed to play on the left,then in the next game just off the forward and then following that told to perform as a out-and-out forward. From Rashford's point of view his head must be fecking spinning.

So ,all in all,Rashford has been treated poorly in that regard and I go as far to say that United,since SAF retired,haven't sensibly developed a young talent into the squad.
They've just thrown them in.

Last edited:

Martialfc

I get the opinion that Rashford is a sulker. He’s not the type of player to galvanise a team. When we are playing bad he can’t elevate his game to carry the team. I get that he’s only in his early twenties but you can’t blame United fans for expecting more from Uniteds main striker. We’ve been spoilt over the past years with RVN, Rooney, Rvp.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The club have blown too much smoke up Rashfords' arse and it is now showing on pitch.

Absolutely dreadful performance, and he's been putting those for a while.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is paid and treated like a key player, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to perform like one.
Time for that gentle reminder - he is being paid 200k/week
And how exactly is that his problem ? He is kid and he will have off days where he wouldn't even hit a barn. That has nothing to do with his salary.

NoMidfielders

Thinks he's a lot better than he is, probably doesn't help that we're paying him the wages of a top class player at 21 when he's yet to have a 15 goal season. I think almost everyone here knew he wasn't ready to be our main striker but given the wages he's on he'll get a long chance I'd imagine. Let's hope he improves.

red4ever 79

And how exactly is that his problem ? He is kid and he will have off days where he wouldn't even hit a barn. That has nothing to do with his salary.
It's unfair to bring salary into it. That's what he and his agent asked for and Utd relented. Also it's not his fault that Utd seem to think he is good enough to lead the line and be the main guy. Utd surely must bring in a top class striker next summer and this guy should be a back up. Also if any of the coaches read the caf please take him of freekicks he is fecking awful at them

DoomSlayer

Very disappointing game from Rashford. Should have scored at least 1 goal in the first half and we would have won comfortably.

He seems so tense and frustrated when playing, needs to steady his emotions and be more composed. Has all the ability but rushes his play way too often.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

The highlights won't show him constantly putting his head down and running into defenders, or running the ball straight out of play which he did on numerous occasions last night.

I'm a big fan of Rashford and I still think he can become a top player, but he was woeful last night.
I was at the game last night in my usual spot and was referring to watching the highlights solely for his finishing.

red4ever 79

Very disappointing game from Rashford. Should have scored at least 1 goal in the first half and we would have won comfortably.

He seems so tense and frustrated when playing, needs to steady his emotions and be more composed. Has all the ability but rushes his play way too often.
Star Wars fan right there

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The bit in bold happened literally once. He also didn’t run into defenders very often. His all round play last night was decent. One of his better games, despite the missed chances.

I’m mainly worried with how dependent we are on him. If he can’t get a night off in games like last night, when can he?

Stadjer

It's unfair to bring salary into it. That's what he and his agent asked for and Utd relented. Also it's not his fault that Utd seem to think he is good enough to lead the line and be the main guy. Utd surely must bring in a top class striker next summer and this guy should be a back up. Also if any of the coaches read the caf please take him of freekicks he is fecking awful at them
He isnt actually awful at them.. he only is awful when he does his wannabe Ronaldo knuckball freekick. He had a decent free kick last night and a good one against Leicester. When he plays as Marcus Rashford he is a decent player and good enough to play for Manchester United but when he goes into his Marcus 'CR7' Rashford mode he is really frustrating.

Rashford needs to make runs without the ball and shoot with a normal shooting technique when he is in a good position. He shouldnt try to take on multiple opponents and/or shoot whenever he gets the ball.

He has the talent of Marcus Rashford... he is nowhere near the talent of Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.