4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

One thing Ole got right fairly early on for me was ralising Rashford isnt a striker and Martial isnt a left winger, had thought that for years they should be playing in each others posittions.

Well personally I dont think he is ever a £70m player in terms of a footballer even before the last season of pitiful displays. I agree that probably a few very big clubs that had an interest hav lost it and are not interested in him at all now, but if he was put up for sale (and yes its a guess opinion) I think there are several clubs would be interested in him and we are talking about £50m.....its why personally I hope he had considered future and wanted a new challenge, I really thinnk £50m is more valuable to a rebuild than Rashford the player, he isnt for me a striker at all and we have other options for the left in SAncho, Elanga, Hannibal, Garnacho that means he is expendable to me
Martial I think has definitely got to play up-top as he no longer has the quickness or agility to beat players, which is downright odd.

But Rashford, I'm not sure. He should get stronger in the 2nd half his 20s and he links play in tight situations centrally better than he does on the wing. I don't know what Ten Hag will make of him. After seeing Haller succeed at Ajax, I think Cristiano can produce one more good season as a forward for us and we have so many other holes and the forward market is so ugly right now that I'd be tempted to buy elsewhere and give Rashford a go as a the backup #9 for Cristiano. I really think our back 7 might need 5 new starters and that's assuming De Gea can learn to pass again and Varane can be the elder statesman type sweeper defender for us.

jesperjaap

Martial I think has definitely got to play up-top as he no longer has the quickness or agility to beat players, which is downright odd.

But Rashford, I'm not sure. He should get stronger in the 2nd half his 20s and he links play in tight situations centrally better than he does on the wing. I don't know what Ten Hag will make of him. After seeing Haller succeed at Ajax, I think Cristiano can produce one more good season as a forward for us and we have so many other holes and the forward market is so ugly right now that I'd be tempted to buy elsewhere and give Rashford a go as a the backup #9 for Cristiano. I really think our back 7 might need 5 new starters and that's assuming De Gea can learn to pass again and Varane can be the elder statesman type sweeper defender for us.
Peronally thought the opposite, Martial when he came looked a natural finisher and Rashfor didnt but had pace and tricks. I think there is another decent season in Ronaldo too but he deefinately needs back up and I dont see it in either of them, Martial certainly needs to go and personally wowuld sell Rashford in a heartbeat btu dont think he is going anywhere this season coming....but I also am not sure he gets a new contract or the game time he desires as I dont see him in our starting elven personally...think its goin gto be a once valuable player that ends up leaving for nothing that should have been sold while still able

jesperjaap

And yes, I agree the majority of our back seven needs replacing, personally I still have some hope for SHaw, would expect him to sink or swim under Ten Hag, Varane with a competent partner and lack of injuries should be good and despite all th etalk of DeGea and his feet and lack of presence I still think he is competent in those departments and his sterngths still make him for me a top keeper if he can keep his form...but a cb, rb and two cm is definately needed I feel and its crazy with the cm as despite all those we are losing there is still McFred, Hannibal, VDB, Garner and even still Pereira currently that is a lot of players before signings for two spots when maybe none are right

NoPace

And yes, I agree the majority of our back seven needs replacing, personally I still have some hope for SHaw, would expect him to sink or swim under Ten Hag, Varane with a competent partner and lack of injuries should be good and despite all th etalk of DeGea and his feet and lack of presence I still think he is competent in those departments and his sterngths still make him for me a top keeper if he can keep his form...but a cb, rb and two cm is definately needed I feel and its crazy with the cm as despite all those we are losing there is still McFred, Hannibal, VDB, Garner and even still Pereira currently that is a lot of players before signings for two spots when maybe none are right
Shaw is good enough, hopefully he finally stays healthy, yeah. I think our realistic best case scenario for next year is this:

------------Cristiano---------
------Bruno--VDB-----Sancho
----------#8----#6-------------
Shaw-LCB-Varane-RB
------------De Gea---------

and then a fair amount of games for Fred, Dalot, Maguire, Rashford, Telles, and one of the young attackers breaks out and that's 17 core guys which is about how many full-time guys West Ham played this year, with some extra minutes for Elanga in attack, Garner/Hannibal in midfield and Lindelof in defence. Everyone else over 22 years old should go immediately if possible.

I just don't see how we spend 65M on Darwin and have enough to build a proper midfield and getting a left-sided partner for Varane, which has to be priority number one, 2 and 3 if we're going to try to pass the ball around our defensive half and control possession like an Ajax team.

Anustart89

With regards to what Rashford could fetch in terms of a transfer fee, I think that many potential buyers would be very put off by the fact that United would be willing to sell him in the first place.

Here, we have a player at Manchester United that's Manchester born and bred, came through the academy, seems to be a nice lad off the pitch, fecking feeds school children during a pandemic and has been awarded an MBE for his community efforts. Yet he's being offered to other clubs. I wouldn't spend any money on him for his on-pitch performances because they have to have been really bad for the club who developed him to even be considering selling him. Now, if I were running some sort of sportswashing enterprise where having a character like that would be beneficial regardless of performances on the pitch (and I had unlimited funds) then obviously I'd consider a bid, but not otherwise.

ManRed

Shaw is good enough, hopefully he finally stays healthy, yeah. I think our realistic best case scenario for next year is this:

------------Cristiano---------
------Bruno--VDB-----Sancho
----------#8----#6-------------
Shaw-LCB-Varane-RB
------------De Gea---------

and then a fair amount of games for Fred, Dalot, Maguire, Rashford, Telles, and one of the young attackers breaks out and that's 17 core guys which is about how many full-time guys West Ham played this year, with some extra minutes for Elanga in attack, Garner/Hannibal in midfield and Lindelof in defence. Everyone else over 22 years old should go immediately if possible.

I just don't see how we spend 65M on Darwin and have enough to build a proper midfield and getting a left-sided partner for Varane, which has to be priority number one, 2 and 3 if we're going to try to pass the ball around our defensive half and control possession like an Ajax team.
Has Bruno played on the left? Its like Pogba all over again! Move him to the left so we can play others in their position. Bruno's best position for us has been CAM then why move him to the LW. VDB learns to play deeper or sits on the bench. Rashford needs to step up and improve to last season. He is too highly paid to be a rotation winger so either improve or leave.

Striker Ronaldo / New ST
Wingers - Rashford / Sancho / Elanga / Amad
Cam - Bruno / VDB / Hannibal
CM - Fred / Scott / New Cm / Garner (VDB)
LB - Shaw / Telles
CB - Varane / Maguire / Lindelof / New CB / Mengi
RB - Dalot / New RB
GK - De Gea / Heaton

Buys - ST, CM, RB and CB

Would prefer a winger or CDM buy as well to the above if possible

NoPace

Has Bruno played on the left? Its like Pogba all over again! Move him to the left so we can play others in their position. Bruno's best position for us has been CAM then why move him to the LW. VDB learns to play deeper or sits on the bench. Rashford needs to step up and improve to last season. He is too highly paid to be a rotation winger so either improve or leave.

Striker Ronaldo / New ST
Wingers - Rashford / Sancho / Elanga / Amad
Cam - Bruno / VDB / Hannibal
CM - Fred / Scott / New Cm / Garner (VDB)
LB - Shaw / Telles
CB - Varane / Maguire / Lindelof / New CB / Mengi
RB - Dalot / New RB
GK - De Gea / Heaton

Buys - ST, CM, RB and CB

Would prefer a winger or CDM buy as well to the above if possible
It's more that Ten Hag has played Tadic on the left, we only really have the one winger who can definitely start in Sancho, and VDB might be the #10 because he knows the system.

M Bison

Supports
York City
With regards to what Rashford could fetch in terms of a transfer fee, I think that many potential buyers would be very put off by the fact that United would be willing to sell him in the first place.

Here, we have a player at Manchester United that's Manchester born and bred, came through the academy, seems to be a nice lad off the pitch, fecking feeds school children during a pandemic and has been awarded an MBE for his community efforts. Yet he's being offered to other clubs. I wouldn't spend any money on him for his on-pitch performances because they have to have been really bad for the club who developed him to even be considering selling him. Now, if I were running some sort of sportswashing enterprise where having a character like that would be beneficial regardless of performances on the pitch (and I had unlimited funds) then obviously I'd consider a bid, but not otherwise.
Spot on. surprises me there aren’t more posts like this on any Rashford related threads.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
think he doesnt like his picture taken outside of his PR office hours
People constantly photographing/filming you wherever u are is annoying. I once saw Holland's biggest celebrity in a lidl (like Aldi) of all places. The attention didn't stop.

clarkydaz

People constantly photographing/filming you wherever u are is annoying. I once saw Holland's biggest celebrity in a lidl (like Aldi) of all places. The attention didn't stop.
he's set himself up as a social media influencer. if thats in America then he is fair game

VanDeBank

Ma’am
he's set himself up as a social media influencer. if thats in America then he is fair game
Yeah if he was just a footballer then it would be okay to photograph/film him whenever whenever :rolleyes:

The daily fail crowd hating on Rashford but not being able to say the quiet part loud is :drool:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah if he was just a footballer then it would be okay to photograph/film him whenever whenever :rolleyes:

The daily fail crowd hating on Rashford but not being able to say the quiet part loud is :drool:
Not everyone who criticizes Rashy is a Daily Heil acolyte.

TOKUGAWA-X

Marcus lost the hunger for football years ago.

In my humble opinion he is just using United to get the paycheck he would never get anywhere else.

Is ETH serious enough ? Time to sell this man, the club can easily get 50M for him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Hopefully with ETH coaching and if he works on his attitude issue, we can see a completely new Rashford . Will be like a new signing :angel:

SAF is the GOAT

Hopefully with ETH coaching and if he works on his attitude issue, we can see a completely new Rashford . Will be like a new signing :angel:
I don't know if he's that player anymore

his own body movement is limited and he can't turn no more, we could all see that he was afraid all season to do something because of his former injuries.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hopefully a longer break with no International football will have done him some good.

It's a big season for him unquestionably. Can't believe how much abuse he's got on here though. He's had a poor 18 months for sure. Name me a player in this squad, bar Ronaldo, who hasnt. Even DDG had a dodgy 2 years after the last world cup.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Hopefully a longer break with no International football will have done him some good.

It's a big season for him unquestionably. Can't believe how much abuse he's got on here though. He's had a poor 18 months for sure. Name me a player in this squad, bar Ronaldo, who hasnt. Even DDG had a dodgy 2 years after the last world cup.
And name me one player who hasn't been receiving dogs abuse the last year? Rashford isn't unique you know?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

You would find it hard to find a player performance thread from last season where a player didn't receive a torrent of abuse. Rashford is not the sole victim of critcism in here, nor stupid abuse which, again, pretty much every player received at one point

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't know if he's that player anymore

his own body movement is limited and he can't turn no more, we could all see that he was afraid all season to do something because of his former injuries.
His problem is mental, not physical. He's returned from injury perfectly fine. Rangnick confirmed many times last season that Rashford had been training on a high level (why he kept picking him), but that he could not translate that form into the actual matches.

Rangnick in Jan:
“He is trying to give his very best and he does show that in training. There have been a couple of training sessions over the past few weeks when he has performed at the highest level and that is why I have always given him the chance to play again.

“As long as he does that, he will always make my list to be involved within the starting XI. Of course, it’s about showing that on a regular basis and continuously playing at a high level. For him though, like anyone else, there is still room for improvement.”

Speaking to the press ahead of this weekend's game in the Midlands, Ralf said that he believed Rashford's best form was not too far away, and pointed to the opening 20 minutes of the cup tie against Villa as evidence.

“I think in the first 20 minutes of the game against Aston Villa, he was good,” assessed Rangnick. “He was on fire and constantly involved.

“But then after that, he didn’t play on the same kind of energetic level that he did in the first half-hour. Of course we need to speak about that because he cannot do that regularly.”
Rangnick in Feb:
"We had a very similar situation, if I remember, with Jadon six or seven weeks ago,” Rangnick said,

"He is the best example of what can happen, again it’s the player himself who has to perform and get the best out of his own performance – and this is the same with Marcus."

Sancho initially failed to make an impact following his high-profile £73million transfer from Borussia Dortmund.

But after a rocky start, the 21-year-old winger is now beginning to find his feet in Rangnick’s side, with two goals and two assists coming in his last six games.

Sancho’s form has been in stark contrast to Rashford, who was hauled off in the 75th minute for Anthony Elanga against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday.

Elanga went on to score the all-important equaliser in the 1-1 draw in Spain, but Rangnick rejects the idea that there is anything hampering Rashford.

"He is definitely not injured. He definitely has no issues with his shoulder any more,” he explained on Friday.

"We have spoken a lot about Marcus in the last couple of weeks and I have personally spoken a lot with him.

"It's with him like with all the other players, when it counts and they are on the pitch, they just have to perform and I am pretty sure he is not happy with his performances right now.

"Right now he is trying to find his best possible shape and performance, and we just try to give him helping hands with everything we can. We show him video footage and we speak with him regularly.

"In training he is in top form. That is why I decided to play him (in Madrid). Now it’s about having that transformation from training performance to the competition in the league – and this is the next step he has to take."
After he started to leave him out in March:
"To play on the same level he trains," Rangnick replied when asked what Rashford had to do to get back into the team. "This is all, we spoke about that a week ago, two weeks ago in a press conference. "Marcus is training well, he's got an abundant of talent, he's got almost everything you need for a modern striker, it's about transforming the performance of the training sessions into the regular games."
End of April:
Ralf Rangnick is hoping Marcus Rashford can replicate his training ground form onto the pitch at Old Trafford against Chelsea.

The Mancunian striker exploded into scoring form this season with three goals in his first four matches of the season, but he has since been on a barren spell since scoring against Brentford and West Ham in January.

However, he starts tonight against Thomas Tuchel’s side, looking to end the campaign on a high.

Asked if he hoped this would be a big night for Rashford our interim boss Rangnick told MUTV. “Yeah I hope so as, often before, he has been good in training and I very much hope, not only for himself but also for the team, that he can also transform that onto the pitch tonight.”

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Two things need to happen for next year’s thread…

1. A more recent picture of Rashford.

2. ‘MBE’ is removed as it is not germane to a player performance thread.

SAFMUTD

His contract expires on 2024, due to the lack of players we have I think we'll have to keep him for another season. Hopefully Ten Hag can get him firing again, its been so long since he was on good form that it seems unlikely but maybe it's a motivation issue or lack of proper training and tactics.

Anyway I expect him to either improve massively or be gone by next summer. I dont think Ten Hag will warrant him a place in the squad, even as a sub, if he continues with his awful form.

Seij

To the shock of no-one a positive Rashford article comes out the day after Southgate said he needs to do more to get back into the England squad

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/sport/191447
Like clockwork. He has just about the most annoying PR team in the world.

GET YOUR HEAD DOWN AND SHOW IT ON THE PITCH. Stop throwing your hands up and run for that loose ball in front of the goal. These blatant propaganda articles aren't doing you any favor with anyone, except for your own ego.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Southgate drops Rashford, some journalist wrote article on why Rashford faces uphill battle to be in the squad but somehow it's PR and propaganda :lol:

Greck

To the shock of no-one a positive Rashford article comes out the day after Southgate said he needs to do more to get back into the England squad

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/sport/191447
https://www.mailplus.co.uk/authors/chris-wheeler
Rashford’s versatility counted against him as he was shunted around different positions with caretaker boss Ralf Rangnick, who even played him at wing-back on one occasion, promoting rookie Anthony Elanga in attack.
This kind of thing is almost insulting to United fans because we actually saw how he ended up getting moved all over the pitch. Less to do with versatility and more to do with his lack of utility. Rashford started at CF in Rangnick's first 2 games. He got moved wide 10 minutes into the second because it had become glaring just how bad he was at filling the link up role beside Ronaldo.

That limited skillset would plague his play all over the pitch as RR struggled to find what he was actually good at. Rashford was poor with his back to goal, poor playmaking and poor linking up with the more advanced Ronaldo. Without the freedom to shoot from anywhere it became glaring how bad of a decisionmaker he was in general. I sometimes wonder if we're going to regret giving him so much freedom before he could become rounded. Rashford wasn't mismanged last season but I do feel like he was criminally mismanaged before that. From his lack of all round development to his playing through that back injury.

Last edited:

stw2022

I have never understood why capability is the last thing many people think of when groping for reasons why he’s been so poor. It appears to be true that he works hard in training. And if you don’t believe that he’ll tell you himself through his PR team. Even Rangnick appears to have been persuaded to overlook his form for the longest time because of his energy, effort and enthusiasm in match preparation .

But it hasn’t translated into the pitch. It seems odd for someone carrying an injury or compensating for discomfort. Wouldn’t that show just as much in training as on match day? Or it’s he especially in pain only on weekends or days when we have a midweek fixture?

There’s only so long we can avoid the capability issue. Physically he’s apparently fine. Indeed impressive in training. How does someone playing with a current injury or pain because of a past one, achieving that on the training field but look so poor on the pitch?

Pointing out his goals and assists stat from a couple of seasons back accompanied by doing this with seemingly every single post: :lol: - at some point has to stop being used as a deflection

roonster09

Scout
PR team, PR team that, every article is a propoganda , moan about his productivity when pointed out his goals and assists move the goal posts to something else. Make a dumb point (borderline hatred post) and then tag yourself with posters who actually make good points as if you made same points :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
PR team, PR team that, every article is a propoganda , moan about his productivity when pointed out his goals and assists move the goal posts to something else. Make a dumb point (borderline hatred post) and then tag yourself with posters who actually make good points as if you made same points :lol:
:lol: Exactly.

Nothing is happened new yet certain fan base talk about him constantly about the same shit like the PR team that’s against him.

roonster09

Scout
:lol: Exactly.

Nothing is happened new yet certain fan base talk about him constantly about the same shit like the PR team that’s against him.
At least one, the guy spent more than half of his posts moaning about Rashford.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well I have a completely open mind about him tbh. For 18 months he's not been good enough to play for Man Utd or England. For the 18 months previous he was first name on the teamsheet for both and as a consequence is a key reason why both teams have dropped off.

If he's done himself some permanent injury or he's lost the attitude that got him to where he was then I guess he'll eventually have to drop down the league to irrelevance. If on the other hand he can bottle the old lightning, then he's a potentially world class player. All about him and the coach now. Hopefully Ten Hag can get far more out of him than the likes of Southgate and Rangnick have managed.

Grande

I have never understood why capability is the last thing many people think of when groping for reasons why he’s been so poor. It appears to be true that he works hard in training. And if you don’t believe that he’ll tell you himself through his PR team. Even Rangnick appears to have been persuaded to overlook his form for the longest time because of his energy, effort and enthusiasm in match preparation .

But it hasn’t translated into the pitch. It seems odd for someone carrying an injury or compensating for discomfort. Wouldn’t that show just as much in training as on match day? Or it’s he especially in pain only on weekends or days when we have a midweek fixture?

There’s only so long we can avoid the capability issue. Physically he’s apparently fine. Indeed impressive in training. How does someone playing with a current injury or pain because of a past one, achieving that on the training field but look so poor on the pitch?

Pointing out his goals and assists stat from a couple of seasons back accompanied by doing this with seemingly every single post: :lol: - at some point has to stop being used as a deflection
I think you’re onto something here, but the wrong thing. There is something that can be there for two seasons and disappear for the next two seasons, and there is something that can be present in 5v5/11v11 games in training but disappear on Saturday at kick off - and it’s not effort, it’s not discipline, it’s not altruism, and it’s certainly not capability. The one thing that can disappear in that manner, is self confidence, self efficacy. The loss of self-confidence, however, explains it perfectly. We know a player can go from key player to benchwarmer just through loss of self confidence. We know a player’s self-confidence is so situationally dependent that she can be useless for months in the league, yet suddenly shine when it is a cup game, or an opponent she’s previously scored against.

Does loss of self confidence fit Rashford’s picture? We know both Mourinho and Solskjær talked about him needing to sustain/develop his self confidence. We know he had a depressive reaction after missing that penalty. We know as McClaren pointed out - his quality drops when he/we starts playing badly in a game.

When someone plays badly when injured or straight back from injury, we don’t need further explanation. However, when someone plays badly after injury - and keeps playing badly for a year, without having lost physical ability in itself - it’s not the injury, it’s the reaction to the playing badly.

Everyone who has ever actually worked with Rashford - youth coaches, managers, coaches, players - all say the same: he’s a typecast for humility and dedication. Humility is a prerequisite for improvement and team work, but it also makes you vulnerable for one thing, and it’s not egotism, nor complacency. It’s loss of confidence.

Loss of confidence temporarily (sometimes for a whole carreer) removes capabilities you have. Looking at Rashford the last two years, does not tell us of what he might be capable. What his capasities are, is what Southgate saw that made him third on the team sheet for a long period of time, what Solskjær saw that made him a central piece of his team from his first game off. Those capabilities are not gone, but lack of confidence will neutralize them.

So what does someone who has lost confidence need to regain it?

1) To be told that he is a useless, selfish twat?

2) Support and patience?

What say the caf lay psychologists?

Irrational.

He’s been playing regular games ever since he broke into the squad against Midgetland. He may be one of those footballers who were a victim of how good they were when young. They were overplayed and overhyped, instead of being gradually eased into the team. Now he’s hit a brick wall and it’s up to him to get himself out of this rut.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It really is all up to him.

He could be up there with the best, or he could end up at a mid table club somewhere wondering where it went wrong.

I'm hoping Ten Hag's team can work with directly and help him remember how to play football. This might sound silly but he looked completely lost on the pitch.

This is a big season for him that's for sure. If he doesn't start it fast he misses the world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.