Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
To the shock of no-one a positive Rashford article comes out the day after Southgate said he needs to do more to get back into the England squad

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/sport/191447
Steve McClaren’s return to United as assistant manager may also be a concern in light of his rather brutal assessment of Rashford’s body language in January when the player’s season hit rock bottom during a FA Cup tie against Aston Villa. ‘I hate that attitude in a player,’ said McClaren.

‘Rashford has probably had this problem throughout his career in terms of questioning his attitude. ‘He gets deterred too easily and doesn't fight through bad moments. He doesn’t stay in the game. If he's not having a good first half, he'll never have a good second half.’
The PR is sure earning their money getting that in there.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He’s been playing regular games ever since he broke into the squad against Midgetland. He may be one of those footballers who were a victim of how good they were when young. They were overplayed and overhyped, instead of being gradually eased into the team. Now he’s hit a brick wall and it’s up to him to get himself out of this rut.
Still going with this overplayed shit? He played less minutes than a young Ronaldo did for us.

ForeverRed1

To the shock of no-one a positive Rashford article comes out the day after Southgate said he needs to do more to get back into the England squad

hes putting so much pressure on himself that he’s not playing with joy. He’s so in his head that he’s almost over trying and over thinking every move.. it’s not coming naturally or flowing. He almost needs to go back to basics and just keep it simple, do the simple things right and learn to enjoy the game again, build on some confidence. He’s got to work on just being effective on the pitch.. I’d love a manager to set him a assist target over a goal one. His biggest flaw was always his decision making.. he always scored plenty but he could of had more effectiveness for the whole team if he played the ball at better moments and got his head up. His greediness at times is frustrating. Head down and just go for goal, even when there is much better options.

the biggest thing for him next season is remembering why he loves the game and finding that joy with it again. I don’t know why he just looks like a guy who doesn’t enjoy it like he used to.. he’s lost a little bit of the humility aswell that made everyone love him. He’s been going more the lingard direction, which he needs to snap out of.

maybe the fact he’s not getting picked for club and or country can snap him back to the guy that burst on to the scene not all that long ago. We have seen the talent and potential he just needs to unlock it again.

mctrials23

Even Rangnick appears to have been persuaded to overlook his form for the longest time because of his energy, effort and enthusiasm in match preparation .
I have a theory which is probably complete rubbish but it has been niggling me for ages.

Over the past few years we have had various reports from ex-players that the training at United has been a bit of a joke. Its not at a high enough intensity and new arrivals have been surprised when they start.

We have also heard so many times from the manager that players are "training really well".

Our biggest issue in games seems to be intensity and application. We are sluggish, low energy and effort and crumble as soon as we are put under pressure.

One thing would go a long way to explaining why these things have happened. Our training isn't up to scratch. Its too easy, too relaxed and isn't preparing the players for the reality on match day. If your attackers are going at 80% in training then your defenders can go at 80% and look OK.

Anyway, like I said, perhaps complete rubbish but it would make sense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have a theory which is probably complete rubbish but it has been niggling me for ages.

Over the past few years we have had various reports from ex-players that the training at United has been a bit of a joke. Its not at a high enough intensity and new arrivals have been surprised when they start.

We have also heard so many times from the manager that players are "training really well".

Our biggest issue in games seems to be intensity and application. We are sluggish, low energy and effort and crumble as soon as we are put under pressure.

One thing would go a long way to explaining why these things have happened. Our training isn't up to scratch. Its too easy, too relaxed and isn't preparing the players for the reality on match day. If your attackers are going at 80% in training then your defenders can go at 80% and look OK.

Anyway, like I said, perhaps complete rubbish but it would make sense.
I think that you are right, if the supposed highlights that United share are actual highs than it's mainly laughable. Low intensity and a lot of technical imprecision, the worst clips being United players pretending to do a Toro.

Swiss_Red89

Looks in brilliant shape according to his last post and current story on Instagram.

Some will play it down to "PR" but this are really positive signs for me.

SER19

Looks in brilliant shape according to his last post and current story on Instagram.

Some will play it down to "PR" but this are really positive signs for me.
Hes done this every pre season for years though.

I do hope he improves and wonder will a new manager and the chuckle brothers leaving help him.

Swiss_Red89

Hes done this every pre season for years though.

I do hope he improves and wonder will a new manager and the chuckle brothers leaving help him.
Last year was different. Operation after euros and no preseason. Then he went straight back to PL football after being fit.

If he has a full pre season (including this "pre pre season") and ETH manages to improve his decision making and effort on the pitch we could see a completely different Rashford on the pitch compared to last season. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

SER19

Last year was different. Operation after euros and no preseason. Then he went straight back to PL football after being fit.

If he has a full pre season (including this "pre pre season") and ETH manages to improve his decision making and effort on the pitch it could be that we see a completely different Rashford on the pitch compared to last season. Fingers crossed.

I hope so, I suppose I've just seen the ripped and sweating rashford on Instagram every summer for a while now. Hes a professional athlete and is undoubtedly in the shape of one.

Ive criticised him so much to the point of really not wanting him near the team - i think he has a terrible pr team around him- but would love to see him excel with Ten Hag and happily eat my words

stw2022

It’s very nice but nobody thought his poor work rate, God-awful decision making, toxic leaks and petulant attitude on the pitch had anything to do with not being physically fit enough.

Grande

hes putting so much pressure on himself that he’s not playing with joy. He’s so in his head that he’s almost over trying and over thinking every move.. it’s not coming naturally or flowing. He almost needs to go back to basics and just keep it simple, do the simple things right and learn to enjoy the game again, build on some confidence. He’s got to work on just being effective on the pitch.. I’d love a manager to set him a assist target over a goal one. His biggest flaw was always his decision making.. he always scored plenty but he could of had more effectiveness for the whole team if he played the ball at better moments and got his head up. His greediness at times is frustrating. Head down and just go for goal, even when there is much better options.

the biggest thing for him next season is remembering why he loves the game and finding that joy with it again. I don’t know why he just looks like a guy who doesn’t enjoy it like he used to.. he’s lost a little bit of the humility aswell that made everyone love him. He’s been going more the lingard direction, which he needs to snap out of.

maybe the fact he’s not getting picked for club and or country can snap him back to the guy that burst on to the scene not all that long ago. We have seen the talent and potential he just needs to unlock it again.
Good take. It’s really the only thing that can explain his drop of level from 22 to 24. injuries and surgery affected him and set him back, yes, and loss of two preseasons in a row didn’t help him, but his ball control, shooting and passing technique used to be much better. That stuff don’t disappear the same way. Also every coach around him has said his dedication in training has been top notch all this time.

So it’s confidence. Like you say, failing the pressures put on himself by himself and others, takes the joy and confidence out of his football. Ironically if a humble person is subjected to too much critique, it may spill over and result in pent up anger. When you see a guy like Rashford, always known to be humble off the pitch, shout back at fans criticizing him in a moment of failure - that’s not typical arrogance, it’s a typical reaction to critique heaped on top of mountains of self critique.

If Rashford comes back to his best, it will be because he is supported to get back to the fun of improving and succeeding with plays, and forget what anyone else might think he should or should not be.

Swiss_Red89

I hope so, I suppose I've just seen the ripped and sweating rashford on Instagram every summer for a while now. Hes a professional athlete and is undoubtedly in the shape of one.

Ive criticised him so much to the point of really not wanting him near the team - i think he has a terrible pr team around him- but would love to see him excel with Ten Hag and happily eat my words
Fair enough

One extremely positive thing in that article, even if it is a lot of PR waffle, is that he has been seeing a psychologist. As someone who has struggled with my mental health, getting help is always the hardest step, but it can be the most rewarding. It will take time and is by no means an overnight fix. It is something he obviously needed, as he has looked mentally drained for such a young player. He has had a ton of weight on his shoulders and a massive amount of expectation, not to mention relationship problems, external commitments, and injuries. He needs support and I reckon this will help him get back to his best.

Reactions: Penna

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Marcus lost the hunger for football years ago.

In my humble opinion he is just using United to get the paycheck he would never get anywhere else.

Is ETH serious enough ? Time to sell this man, the club can easily get 50M for him.
These two are mutually exclusive no?

padzilla

Hipster
I do find it interesting that Rashford and Sancho have been dropped by England but Maguire hasn't.
When he has been demonstrably in worse form than either of them.
What's the difference?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I do find it interesting that Rashford and Sancho have been dropped by England but Maguire hasn't.
What's the difference?
There's a lot more competition on the wings, when given opportunities Rashford and Sancho haven't done anything to suggest they are better options than Sterling or Saka. Maguire has shown good form for England, specifically in the big tournaments and center back is probably one of the weakest positions for England.

Kag

What's the difference?
It’s obvious, isn’t it? Rashford and Sancho are being kept out by the likes of Foden, Sterling, Grealish and Saka.

Maguire is competing with shite like Coady and (yes) Stones.

Godfather

What's the difference?
Maguire hasn't been in worse form than Rashford. I don't think anyone has from our squad

GoldanoGraham

Good to see he is focusing on getting himself in the right physical condition for pre season and he can have a fresh start under ETH.

If he can get back to anywhere near his best form it will save us a lot of money.

Really hoping that Rashy and Sancho deliver next season. Think with the likes of Pogba and Lingard now gone there will be less to distract these two.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I always have a soft spot for him tbh. And think he still has it in him to get back to his best and surpass his best form. Last season was horrible for everyone, but I'm really hoping and expecting even that Rashford puts it behind him and has a valuable role to play under Ten Hag. He won't be an automatic choice, but as part of the rotation, either up top or on the wings (but the main rotation option meaning they'll all just go based on form).
Also glad the blonde hair is gone. Was a shite cut.

UncleBob

The PR is sure earning their money getting that in there.
Rather weird that they portrait it as potentially negative that McClaren has pointed out that Rashford needs to work on his attitude/mentality. If anything it's positive, as it means they will focus a lot on that side of his game, and it's certainly an area that needs improving.

It'll be interesting to see him this season. Ten Hag will hopefully form him into more of a team player rather than all the solo stuff he goes for, if he gets Rashford to play more sensible it will be a vast improvement and something to build on.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Rather weird that they portrait it as potentially negative that McClaren has pointed out that Rashford needs to work on his attitude/mentality. If anything it's positive, as it means they will focus a lot on that side of his game, and it's certainly an area that needs improving.

It'll be interesting to see him this season. Ten Hag will hopefully form him into more of a team player rather than all the solo stuff he goes for, if he gets Rashford to play more sensible it will be a vast improvement and something to build on.
I guess it depends if you view it as a weakness they can work on and improve or an inherent character flaw that makes them wary of trusting him.

UncleBob

I guess it depends if you view it as a weakness they can work on and improve or an inherent character flaw that makes them wary of trusting him.
I suppose they won't find out until they actually start working with him

ForeverRed1

Good take. It’s really the only thing that can explain his drop of level from 22 to 24. injuries and surgery affected him and set him back, yes, and loss of two preseasons in a row didn’t help him, but his ball control, shooting and passing technique used to be much better. That stuff don’t disappear the same way. Also every coach around him has said his dedication in training has been top notch all this time.

So it’s confidence. Like you say, failing the pressures put on himself by himself and others, takes the joy and confidence out of his football. Ironically if a humble person is subjected to too much critique, it may spill over and result in pent up anger. When you see a guy like Rashford, always known to be humble off the pitch, shout back at fans criticizing him in a moment of failure - that’s not typical arrogance, it’s a typical reaction to critique heaped on top of mountains of self critique.

If Rashford comes back to his best, it will be because he is supported to get back to the fun of improving and succeeding with plays, and forget what anyone else might think he should or should not be.
Exactly that. He’s over thinking every move instead of being his natural self. People forget also how heavy a shirt this is, this isn’t a normal football club.. all eyes are on it like no other club. People really love to see us not do so well, people love to laugh at us.. and even though we have been pretty bad over the last 10 years.. the expectation that this badge has with it, doesn’t warrant the actually results and performances. Look at lingard at West Ham compared to here.. there’s a reason for it. Look how many players come here and crumble.

He needs to find the love for the game again or we won’t get the rashford of old back .. and it’ll be a shame because he is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.