4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stw2022

Once again, isn't and never will be a RW. Even when he was in great form for us, he still looked shite when moved out to the RW. Either play him off the left where he can make full use of his best attributes and let him play back into form, or keep him out of the squad, cause he isn't a RW. Wingers playing on their stronger side are generally more 'playmakers' than inside forwards.
Thanks I forgot about this one but I think it’s my favourite if I’m honest. Can’t look competent unless on his favourite side of the pitch.

GMoore23

His hearts no longer in the game. All the media praise has gone to his head. He looks bored to tears everytime he plays for us now.

superdry

touched by a genius
Hasn't got the will or the skill set to actually be a top class player.

Idxomer

The mental gymnastics regarding his form are always interesting but also very detached from reality.

People have been complaining about his attitude and workrate since 2017, it's not something new. It didn't start under Ole like many on here like to believe. All of the flaws in his game have always been there and they've never been masked by great play except for that period before his back injury. We need to admit now that period was nothing more than a purple patch.

Last edited:

9 Stone Elvis

But here’s the thing, the explosive pace is still there. I’m not denying he was injured but what’s lacking in his game is the basics; the ability to look up, judgement, time his runs, positional awareness, contribute to the defensive organisation when we don’t have the ball.

To blame that on ‘injury’ for two years during a period where he’s been fit enough to play 90 minutes in the vast majority of games only exists as an excuse because collectively that’s easier than admitting we we wrong about how good he’d become
Exactly. Regardless of whats up, whether there is something genuinely wrong that we find out later or this is just the way he is, the mental gymnastics being done to explain the situation is staggering. I've never seen a player have so many excuses made over such a long period.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Difficult to know what's wrong with him. I hope & suspect its simply a confidence thing and not something physical or worse.

What we can do as United supporters is get behind him. I'm sure a struggling player would benefit more from knowing the fans have got his back.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Difficult to know what's wrong with him. I hope & suspect its simply a confidence thing and not something physical or worse.

What we can do as United supporters is get behind him. I'm sure a struggling player would benefit more from knowing the fans have got his back.
It's more difficult to get behind a player when whilst on the pitch he looks like he doesn't give a feck.

Foxbatt

People can't seriously be suggesting Lingard's situation is why Rashford looks disinterested? Like come on, that might be one of the worst excuses I've ever heard.
I think it could be more about Bojo and his party gate? Maybe Rashy was at the party?

Alfie092

I'm so scared that some of the injuries have hampered him and will probably prevent him from ever becoming a top class player because surely by now at the age of 24 he should be showing so much more consistency in his game that will say to us "yes in 2-4 years he has the potential to become a world class player. Sadly I think he will only slightly improve and get some consistency back. I also believe he is lacking confidence and some off-field stuff hasn't helped. Hope I am wrong!

Crazy as around 2 years ago a lot of United fans, including myself was so excited about the prospect of Rashford - Martial - Greenwood potentially being our front 3 for several years to come :(

9 Stone Elvis

Its a fine line.

Im sure the fans in the ground are behind him but heres the problem.....If you aren't playing well enough to be a top player, and we want to be a top side again, is it more important to be nice to the player not playing well or is it more important to admit we need something better if we want to challenge again? The acceptance of falling standards is a big part of the problem.

Foxbatt

Struggling and not being arsed about attempting are two very different things. James struggled but no once can accuse of being not arsed about trying. He simply was not good enough. I did not see the fans having his back? Rashford's problem is not that he is struggling. He is taking the piss out of everyone including the fans and the manager and the club.

Marcus

We shoud bring up more of our U-23 team strikers to show him we have options.

Alfie092

Either play him off the left where he can make full use of his best attributes and let him play back into form, or keep him out of the squad
Then keep him out of the starting 11 it is. As even while playing off the left it appears he can't even go past a parked car and runs into brick walls 9 out of 10 times!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's more difficult to get behind a player when whilst on the pitch he looks like he doesn't give a feck.
Well, lack of effort is always the most justifiable reason to let loose on a player, that I agree with. This is Rashford though. He's one of our own. A local lad and a United fan. If he is struggling in this way then I'm more liable to believe that there is something more to it.

greendevil

Woeful last night when he came on and again no interest in tracking back until he realised after waving his arms complaining I better get back here otherwise fans will be on to me

Born2Lose

I appreciate the sentiment but for how long exactly? He's been poor for well over a season now and the trajectory is clearly downward over the long term. This forum has tried to pervert the idea of the "United Way" into an overly sentimental running of the club which was never the case. SAF knew when to be loyal and when to get rid and he got rid of far better players than Rashford in his time here.

When it comes to Rashford some people on this forum behave as if there's no correlation between getting behind an underperforming player and the results on the pitch.

The great SAF quote about the bus not waiting for anyone applies to everyone, even fan favourites.

I don't think Rashford would get this sort of succour and calls for infinite patience at Liverpool or City.

Look at Sterling, he's arguably a better player than Rashford but seems to be constantly fighting for his place at City. We pay the same wages they do and should expect the same standards as fans.

Cloud7

I have never seen more excuses being made for a player than I have for Rashford. There’s mental gymnastics and then there’s what’s going on in this thread.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

I think the goodwill is running out for him.

He is taking an absolute fortune and this is how he repays the faith and support

Hes a celbrity footballer.

He needs a reset in the head space to know he is a footballer first and not some /pop/hiphop star

mctrials23

I have never seen more excuses being made for a player than I have for Rashford. There’s mental gymnastics and then there’s what’s going on in this thread.
Yeah, hes clearly not right and who knows whats truly at the core but his next contract should be a pay cut and he needs to sort himself out or we move him on.

I don't care that he is "one of ours" and does charity work off the pitch. This is a football club. I support us because I want to watch United play good football and compete for trophies. I find it really strange that people place any value in his off field work when its clear that his on field work isn't up to scratch. Its great that hes doing it but it has no impact on whether he should stay at the club and hes getting paid the wages of a world class player. He has never been world class and has regressed massively.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I appreciate the sentiment but for how long exactly? He's been poor for well over a season now and the trajectory is clearly downward over the long term. This forum has tried to pervert the idea of the "United Way" into an overly sentimental running of the club which was never the case. SAF knew when to be loyal and when to get rid and he got rid of far better players than Rashford in his time here.

When it comes to Rashford some people on this forum behave as if there's no correlation between getting behind an underperforming player and the results on the pitch.

The great SAF quote about the bus not waiting for anyone applies to everyone, even fan favourites.

I don't think Rashford would get this sort of succour and calls for infinite patience at Liverpool or City.

Look at Sterling, he's arguably a better player than Rashford but seems to be constantly fighting for his place at City. We pay the same wages they do and should expect the same standards as fans.
I don't disagree with any of that. My point about getting behind him doesn't mean we should carry on playing him every game, merely that hammering him on social media and, increasingly it seems now, at the stadium is not going to help anything. It's in everyone's best interests that we have the best version of Rashford back on the field, and I don't think we are at the stage of writing him off as a player yet.

OmarUnited4ever

Who's to say if it's actually down to his injury, but he's certainly not been the same player since.
yes, not the same player of 2017-2019, he was on the ascendency, now he can even execute simple stuff, makes basic errors and his fundamentals are almost nonexistent.

9 Stone Elvis

I don't disagree with any of that. My point about getting behind him doesn't mean we should carry on playing him every game, merely that hammering him on social media and, increasingly it seems now, at the stadium is not going to help anything. It's in everyone's best interests that we have the best version of Rashford back on the field, and I don't think we are at the stage of writing him off as a player yet.
Few players have got as long as he has.

Oranges038

yes, not the same player of 2017-2019, he was on the ascendency, now he can even execute simple stuff, makes basic errors and his fundamentals are almost nonexistent.
You can forgive a player who is physically limited after an injury, if they adapt their game accordingly and still get the basics right. He literally has nothing going in his favour at this point, zero work rate, pathetic off the ball movement, runs into blind alleys with the ball, poor decision making and his passing is awful.

Injury aside. He still hasn't improved on any of the basic aspects of his game in about 3 years.

rooney2009

Only God knows what's going on with him
He looks so poor and fragile at the moment
I think its a mental thing with him

youmeletsfly

Actually, I don't think that's the right way to think about it.
It's in everyone's best interests that we have the best version of a player on the left or the right, be it Martial/Rashford/Sancho/whoever.

In regards to his decline, let's be a bit honest, he never was a special player anyway. He just patched his game with a few moments of brilliance here and there.

I don't think his decline is even down to him or his injury, I think it's more down to our medical/fitness staff. He's too tall and skinny in my opinion and his balance is all over the place, including when he hits the ball. I think he should bulk up a few kilos, especially if he wants to play more around the box.

The type of player he is now is kinda dead in today's football, unless you're some freak of nature like Mbappe and you were given mental speed and technique.

pablo__p

The best scenario for all would be if PSG thought he'd be a fantastic mbappe replacement.

Come on, Leonardo!

Lewnited

The mental gymnastics here are astonishing, if he was simply trying things that weren't coming off you could let it slide and hope he comes back stronger.

Currently, he's jumping out of every 50/50, not tracking back, strolling towards loose balls and generally making his teammates jobs harder for them. It's a level of non-application that I haven't even seen from the likes of Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Matic etc who have caught pelters for their supposed lack of effort. Unsurprising that the traditionally forgiving OT crowd seems to be on his back more and more.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Well, lack of effort is always the most justifiable reason to let loose on a player, that I agree with. This is Rashford though. He's one of our own. A local lad and a United fan. If he is struggling in this way then I'm more liable to believe that there is something more to it.
There may well be and I'd admit that having local lads is great... IF they're the right option. But if not, I've got no issue with United playing a team of non UK players if they're the best option for us and show total commitment.

But right now, he isn't the best option and his off the pitch work/medal/social media campaigns v Govt will always be an easy reason for people to say it's affecting him, even if it isn't.

Personally, I think he seems to be easily affected by criticism and (like a lot of players), he needs to toughen up and prove doubters wrong on the pitch - else move on and we will. I don't mean that nastily but winning teams have ability and mental toughness - right now, he doesn't seem to have that (and he's not alone) and I wonder if he needs to pass everything non-football on and focus purely on us. We can't afford a wide player who only scores a few and doesn't track back... Shaw needs all the help he can get. We didn't accept it from Martial so shouldn't from Rashford.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I could see the shoulder potentially causing the disinterest if it's still a problem. If he still can't use it properly and he can't be as physical etc that must be frustrating, and if he's still needing painkilling injections just to play that's going to get pretty miserable, pretty fast. I also wouldn't look forward to my job regardless of the amount I was being paid if I knew I was going to be in pain all the time. At least last season he knew he could get the surgery after the season and so had something to aim towards getting to.

Would sum our club up as of late if him playing with it for months has now messed it up for life.
Rashford has come out himself and said it's the first time in a long while he's playing injury free after he had his surgery on his shoulder so that's another excuse that should be chalked off.

If his pain has returned then he should know from his previous experience to get it sorted because he isn't doing himself or the club any favours.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There may well be and I'd admit that having local lads is great... IF they're the right option. But if not, I've got no issue with United playing a team of non UK players if they're the best option for us and show total commitment.

But right now, he isn't the best option and his off the pitch work/medal/social media campaigns v Govt will always be an easy reason for people to say it's affecting him, even if it isn't.

Personally, I think he seems to be easily affected by criticism and (like a lot of players), he needs to toughen up and prove doubters wrong on the pitch - else move on and we will. I don't mean that nastily but winning teams have ability and mental toughness - right now, he doesn't seem to have that (and he's not alone) and I wonder if he needs to pass everything non-football on and focus purely on us. We can't afford a wide player who only scores a few and doesn't track back... Shaw needs all the help he can get. We didn't accept it from Martial so shouldn't from Rashford.
I agree, and I'm not suggesting for one moment that we should be starting him if he doesn't deserve it. I'm simply talking about our support for him. We can choose to all pile in on him and make the situation worse, or we can choose to be a little more empathic and give him a chance to find his form. It's impossible to imagine that our reactions as supporters don't have an effect on players.

It might not mean much to many people that he is a homegrown United supporter, but it should really.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why doesnt it help? All those boos doesnt stop the Galacticos in madrid from performing. Nor does our support even encourage rashyboy to even give a feck.

Martial, lingard, shaw, maguire, they need to be booed out of the team, told their places and rot in the reserves, and if somehow they got better, roll up their sleeves then they got another chance.

I'm sick of this playing into form stinking out the place. If you cant perform, get out of the team

Foxbatt

This is the problem with this club. This is a professional football club and not a charity that needs to take care of Manchester born players.
I don't care if he was born in the Stretford End. If he is not performing enough ( he hasn't for a very long time) then he should be sold.

Devil’s Trident

There you have it. I mean how to deal with this mindset.
Out of curiosity, how much more the fans have to be sit and watch dogshit after dogshit performances ? Also, why Rashford the united fan doesn’t work hard for united ? Why Rashford the local lad not willing to put the shift in for his local club ?

Born2Lose

Why doesnt it help? All those boos doesnt stop the Galacticos in madrid from performing. Nor does our support even encourage rashyboy to even give a feck.

Martial, lingard, shaw, maguire, they need to be booed out of the team, told their places and rot in the reserves, and if somehow they got better, roll up their sleeves then they got another chance.

I'm sick of this playing into form stinking out the place. If you cant perform, get out of the team
Agreed, the idea of loyalty to players isn't a one way street, there has to be some commitement from the player too.

Andy Cole I always think is a great example, he struggled with goals when he arrived but instead of giving up he showed more commitment, worked hard on developing his game and the fans were loyal to him. That's healthy loyalty, not this overly sentimental mothering we get nowadays.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I agree, and I'm not suggesting for one moment that we should be starting him if he doesn't deserve it. I'm simply talking about our support for him. We can choose to all pile in on him and make the situation worse, or we can choose to be a little more empathic and give him a chance to find his form. It's impossible to imagine that our reactions as supporters don't have an effect on players.

It might not mean much to many people that he is a homegrown United supporter, but it should really.
I get the sentiment and if hypothetically there were two identical options, one home grown and one not, then fine. But those hypotheticals don't happen (and aren't here).

Schmeicel, Irwin, Rio, Keane, Ince, Cantona, Ronaldo, Ruud, RvP... did we care if they were home grown, no. Did we care they were mainly foreign, no. Some came from rivals and/or our most hated clubs. The front four in the treble season were ALL bought and paid for from other clubs as was all the defence bar GN.

I wouldn't go out of my way to criticise players for little things or make stupid comments on social media but Rashfords criticism is not knee-jerk, hell he's probably been given more patience than most?

But the BIG issue is not form, external work, whether he likes the fame... it's effort and (very transparent) lack of effort which impacts on our performances, other players and results. That's unacceptable at United and rightly so... fans pay a lot of hard earned money to watch millionaires play football at a club that is a huge part of our lives from kids to old age.

Home grown or not, he's playing shit and will have to take the flak like everyone else. It's up to him to take it, work harder, prove people wrong or leave. Whatever's best for United suits me.

united for life

It's not really an injury - its more the result of an injury.

When you look at what the spine is - its a link between the top and bottom of your body and more importantly is the central support structure of your body. Its part of someone's posture and an area which is very close to the nervous system.

Now after an injury it doesn't mean things go back to normal, things tend to change and people have to adapt be it a footballer or a normal human being. Sometimes the pain of the spine is always there which means a person is avoiding trying to trigger that pain from certain movements.

Now a difference in posture may seem minimal to someone's eyes but these little changes does effect what a person can do or more so how they go about doing it. Is a player with a difference posture going to have the same balance they had before? The same pace or dribbling ability? (Don't even have to mention the mental ability for someone who doesn't have the same physical ability anymore)

There's things called the GAIT as well which is basically the manner of a person's walking. How is things like this going to change after injuries to their back? Maybe even the littlest bit?

Injuries on the spine and legs can really effect alot of those things which leads to players having to adapt their game.
i totally understand that part. I myself have disc bulges and it's the kind of pain that is there all the time. I just assumed that with the medical facilities/rehabilitation centers available at the club, he would be in a good condition to play especially that he is declared fit. Probably pushing him to the limit despite being injured last year was a stupid decision.

Nonetheless, his body language indicates lack of interest for some reason, is it pain? I don't know. He just looks like a man with no passion on the pitch.

arthurka

His effort after he came on was shocking. He just strolled around and had zero impact on the game. It's really sad to see. I like our Rashford but he is really sinking fast.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He just looks uninspired and well... bored. Like football is a chore for him now.

If this carries on until the end of the season then we should get another winger IMO. Go for Moussa Diaby.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
At some point we just need to admit he's not that good. He's been a constant in our poor sides of the last few years. We need a new RW in summer.

Hughes35

I just don't think he's that good tbh. Purely as a footballer and forgetting everything else, this is his list.

Pros - Speed, a few tricks & a hard shot.
Cons - movement, decision making, vision, consistent finishing, workrate

Status
Not open for further replies.