Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

He's great when the ball is in the air.

That looked bad at the time and there were groans from the fans but that looks even worse on rewatching

He didn't look fit the second half and was obviously injured at the end.

Oscar Bonavena

Not sure what he was thinking there
That was an embarrassment. Thinks he's too important to compete for a header.

You'd almost forgive it in a pre-season friendly, but this was a game where these guys were supposed to be defending this club's history, and he can't even be bothered trying to win a header?!

And he's not the only one like that on that team.

Can't go into battle without soldiers I'm afraid.

RedStarUnited

Not sure what he was thinking there
Simply cant be bothered. Watch him closely when he is “pressing” its always enough just to look like an attempt but not a real attempt.

The minimum he should do for that header is make it harder for Rodri.

El Zoido

You'd almost forgive it in a pre-season friendly, but this was a game where these guys were supposed to be defending this club's history, and he can't even be bothered trying to win a header?!

And he was in the press in the week talking about stopping their treble. Talk means nothing without action.

A-man

Rashford was poor, but why trash talking United like that? It’s not like our players didn’t put in an effort. They did fight just weren’t as good as City. Nobody is atm.
And actually: We won more aerials than City.

Oscar Bonavena

Rashford was poor, but why trash talking United like that? It’s not like our players didn’t put in an effort. They did fight just weren’t as good as City. Nobody is atm.
And actually: We won more aerials than City.
They didn't. Certainly not Rashford and Sancho for example. But as long as we keep making excuses for them, we'll never get back to the top.

stw2022

When he's in form he's very good. Problem is his base performance level is STILL awful. He's either going to have a 9/10 or 3/10 game. Even in this, the best of all seasons for him, there have been some wild swings in his form.

Yes he's scored 30 goals but he still lacks consistently. And nobody thinks 'consistency' means scoring every match or not having dips n form. But by now there should be the ability to play well and contribute, even if he's struggling to find the back of the net. Walking around disengaged with play; no fight or effort about him. His workrate at times is non-existent.

It doesn't take much for him to retreat within himself. It's scary how quickly and naturally he transitions from enthusiastic goal beast to 40- a day 53 year old Soccer Aid celebrity in terms of his effort and contribution in a game.

As a manager you cannot have that uncertainty as a key component of your first choice XI if you have ambitions of challenging for league titles.

dan1509

Give him better attacking outlets & he’ll be a better player for it.
The excuses just keep evolving. Let me add it to the list:
  1. He is playing with an injury OR He is clearly not 100%
  2. Mourinho and OGS have bad tactics!
  3. Blame a previous injury ("he hasn't been the same since he broke his back!")
  4. He's sad over his breakup​
  5. He's sad over missing a penalty in the final​
  6. He's tired​
  7. He's playing out of position he's a winger!​
  8. He's playing out of position he's a striker!​
  9. His teammates are not good (new addition)
Apologies if I missed any!

dal

He’s not playing in his best position, what do we expect, that said Garnacho looked fabulous.

AFC NimbleThumb

The excuses just keep evolving. Let me add it to the list:
  1. He is playing with an injury OR He is clearly not 100%
  2. Mourinho and OGS have bad tactics!
  3. Blame a previous injury ("he hasn't been the same since he broke his back!")
  4. He's sad over his breakup​
  5. He's sad over missing a penalty in the final​
  6. He's tired​
  7. He's playing out of position he's a winger!​
  8. He's playing out of position he's a striker!​
  9. His teammates are not good (new addition)
Apologies if I missed any!
Where’s the excuse? He’s so red 30 goals for a team that managed how many all season?

If I’m making a 9 point list to slate a player he’s the last person I’d make one for in this squad, no need to apologise - he brings the worst out in this fanbase for some reason.

redcafe_reader

Cristiano Rashfornaldo (without any title or cup, and much better PR).

When he's on his form he's unstoppable, but his effort... Just look at how Haaland play, even on an off day he tried much harder.

Where’s the excuse? He’s so red 30 goals for a team that managed how many all season?

If I’m making a 9 point list to slate a player he’s the last person I’d make one for in this squad, no need to apologise - he brings the worst out in this fanbase for some reason.
Literally one post after the post you quoted...

rpitchfo

Being at Wembley yesterday and getting to see what haaland does off the ball vs what rashford does off the ball….

The gulf in workrate was staggering.

AFC NimbleThumb

Literally one post after the post you quoted...
If that’s the case I’d suggest quoting that poster in the future.

It’ll forever be enlightening to me how people like yourself wait for what you consider a bad performance to bring out the Rashfornaldo & the name calling, it’s as if you want him to fail.

Of the reasons we lost yesterday him not running round like Haaland doesn’t make the Top 9.

redcafe_reader

If that’s the case I’d suggest quoting that poster in the future.
You asked where's the excuse, I gave you another samples of the excuse, since I am sure you are aware that your excuse is already added in the list of that post (His teammates are not good (new addition)).

If you don't want to receive answer you don't like, then don't ask.

It’ll forever be enlightening to me how people like yourself wait for what you consider a bad performance to bring out the Rashfornaldo & the name calling,
If you want to defend him or think I am wrong, you can argue again that.

But you didn't, and go straight to attacking the poster. That tell me either you don't think I am wrong, or his performance/work rate is indefensible for you.

This is the first time I called him Cristiano Rashfordnaldo, so unless you don't think he has a single bad performance before, your "wait for what you consider a bad performance to bring out the Rashfornaldo & the name calling" is factually wrong and only served a purpose of attacking me, not arguing my point or defending Rashford. That actually say a lot.

it’s as if you want him to fail.
It doesn't matter if I want him to fail or not. My post doesn't matter. My intention doesn't matter. I can even be a Man City fan. That doesn't change the fact that his work rate is abysmal, very Cristiano Ronaldo-like (minus the title and cup, and with much better PR).

If you don't agree on his Ronaldo-like (without goals) performance, you can argue again that. Why do you focus on me instead of the person of the thread (Rashford)? On the other hand, I don't even know who you are?

Of the reasons we lost yesterday him not running round like Haaland doesn’t make the Top 9.
I would say top 3.

If we have Haaland and they have Rashford our game will be much better. We may even win.

AFC NimbleThumb

You asked where's the excuse, I gave you another samples of the excuse, since I am sure you are aware that your excuse is already added in the list of that post (His teammates are not good (new addition)).

If you don't want to receive answer you don't like, then don't ask.

If you want to defend him or think I am wrong, you can argue again that.

But you didn't, and go straight to attacking the poster. That tell me either you don't think I am wrong, or his performance/work rate is indefensible for you.

This is the first time I called him Cristiano Rashfordnaldo, so unless you don't think he has a single bad performance before, your "wait for what you consider a bad performance to bring out the Rashfornaldo & the name calling" is factually wrong and only served a purpose of attacking me, not arguing my point or defending Rashford. That actually say a lot.

It doesn't matter if I want him to fail or not. My post doesn't matter. My intention doesn't matter. I can even be a Man City fan. That doesn't change the fact that his work rate is abysmal, very Cristiano Ronaldo-like (minus the title and cup, and with much better PR).

If you don't agree on his Ronaldo-like (without goals) performance, you can argue again that. Why do you focus on me instead of the person of the thread (Rashford)? On the other hand, I don't even know who you are?

I would say top 3.

If we have Haaland and they have Rashford our game will be much better. We may even win.
I’m not defending Rashford, he wasn’t particularly good in multiple games this year. I just find people that wrote War & Peace to slate him, as above, a little misplaced when we’ll over 2/3 of the squad need to go before we even look at him.

No ones attacked you lad, I highlighted your name calling of him as an issue. You’re free to have your own opinion & if that is that simply swapping Rashford for Haaland would win us that game then I don’t see much to discuss in all honesty.

Rashford not being as good as Haaland leaves him in rather large company, it’s barely an insult.

Andersons Dietician

He has these games quite often. It’s more like he just gives up, or goes in to a sulk. And it’s weird because you can see in other games where ok he doesn’t defend well but he’ll challenge or press people up top. Then you get games like yesterday against superior opposition and he quits.

redcafe_reader

I’m not defending Rashford, he wasn’t particularly good in multiple games this year.
Good to hear. So, I assume that you don't believe what I or the other poster posted is incorrect, or you are unable to defend against it since you are not "defending him." I will accept that.

The point is simple: his work rate is subpar for a player on his wage and level of importance. This is not defensible even for you.

I just find people that wrote War & Peace to slate him
I assume you said, "wrote War & Peace," in relation to the post length being too long?

So what is the appropriate length for a negative post about Rashford? Is there a word count limit when we post about him negatively? Does this limit apply only to Rashford, or can we apply the "word count" rule to other players as well?

a little misplaced when we’ll over 2/3 of the squad need to go before we even look at him.
So, is this a Rashford thread or a squad thread? Should we also discuss other players here?

And what is the percentage of the squad that needs to go before we are allowed to "look at him"? Again, does this apply only to Rashford, or can we apply the same "rule" to other players as well?

No ones attacked you lad
Sure, "no one attacked" when you literally said " how people like yourself wait for what you consider a bad performance to bring out the Rashfornaldo & the name calling" and "it’s as if you want him to fail.".

There is nothing mentioned about whether the post is right or wrong, just solely focusing on the poster. For me, it is "attacking the poster." You are free to think otherwise.

I highlighted your name calling of him as an issue.
In the context of a discussion about Rashford (the name of the thread), is it an issue because it's wrong? because it's not appropriate? because of any other reasons?

However, you didn't make any attempt to explain why this is an issue, despite it's quite clear that you are not pleased with the term "Rashfordnaldo."

This speaks volumes. If you believe that "Rashfordnaldo" is wrong, you would have already presented your arguments, but you didn't (and instead chose to bring the topic to "me" - totally irrelevant to the thread).

You’re free to have your own opinion & if that is that simply swapping Rashford for Haaland would win us that game
This is obviously wrong. My original post is about his Cristiano Ronaldo (minus the goal)-like performance, and you spent a majority of your post to attack that.

The fact that you now try to say my opinion is "simply swapping Rashford for Haaland would win us that game" show that you are either not arguing in good faith, or can't read. Since you obviously can read and post in the forum, I think it's the former.

I don’t see much to discuss in all honesty.
I don't think you even "discuss" anything in the first place. You said it yourself you "are not defending Rashford". All you ever did is trying to police people's post about Rashford (word length, should look at 2/3 squad, namecalling etc) .

Rashford not being as good as Haaland leaves him in rather large company, it’s barely an insult.
I am not talking about if Rashford being as good as Haaland. It's quite clear that he's at least 1 level behind Halaand so no point compare the 2's talents.

My points (and a lot of other's points) is about how terrible Rashford work rate is, we just use Haaland as 1 of the example.

Oranges038

Was up top on his own and was just getting balls lumped up to him. The problem with him is he never even challenges for a header, there was one in particular, bouncing ball and he just stood and watched the City player win it.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Was up top on his own and was just getting balls lumped up to him. The problem with him is he never even challenges for a header, there was one in particular, bouncing ball and he just stood and watched the City player win it.
Which part of the match was that because I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread?

El Jefe

When he's in form he's very good. Problem is his base performance level is STILL awful. He's either going to have a 9/10 or 3/10 game. Even in this, the best of all seasons for him, there have been some wild swings in his form.

Yes he's scored 30 goals but he still lacks consistently. And nobody thinks 'consistency' means scoring every match or not having dips n form. But by now there should be the ability to play well and contribute, even if he's struggling to find the back of the net. Walking around disengaged with play; no fight or effort about him. His workrate at times is non-existent.

It doesn't take much for him to retreat within himself. It's scary how quickly and naturally he transitions from enthusiastic goal beast to 40- a day 53 year old Soccer Aid celebrity in terms of his effort and contribution in a game.

As a manager you cannot have that uncertainty as a key component of your first choice XI if you have ambitions of challenging for league titles.
Agreed. 30 goals is a hell of a return but its important to note that he played 56 games which is far more than most.

Nowadays Rashford does very little if he doesn't score. A shame because he used to create quite a lot under Ole and Jose.

He scored more goals in his purple patch from the end of December to the end of February than he did in the rest of the season. There's no doubt he's our best attacker by far but I still have reservations about him.

Everything in the final third runs through him. When we get players as good or better than him in the forward positions I'm not sure how effective he'll be.

Oranges038

Which part of the match was that because I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread?
At some point in the second half, the ball bounced and he just stood and watched the city player take it. Never even attempted to challenge for it.

stw2022

Agreed. 30 goals is a hell of a return but its important to note that he played 56 games which is far more than most.

Nowadays Rashford does very little if he doesn't score. A shame because he used to create quite a lot under Ole and Jose.

He scored more goals in his purple patch from the end of December to the end of February than he did in the rest of the season. There's no doubt he's our best attacker by far but I still have reservations about him.

Everything in the final third runs through him. When we get players as good or better than him in the forward positions I'm not sure how effective he'll be.
He's a much better player when he simplifies his game and doesn't try to be creator, playmaker, winger, striker, superhero. At times this season he got that. He wasn't dwelling on the ball, he kept things simple.

He keeps pointing to his head whenever he scores as a dig at this criticism, but his 'footballing brain' is so slow. Unless things open up for him instantly then you may as well forget it. If one or two seconds have lapsed with him on the ball and he hasn't already passed the last defender he rarely knows how to get out of that situation and that's where he comes unstuck. He doesn't seem what to do in those situations.

Again it isn't that he needs to score every week. It's that when he isn't on form - as happens with all forwards - he puts in a shift and puts himself about and causes chaos in the opposition's defensive line. If Rashford isn't feeling up to it, he does absolutely none of these things. And that's been the criticism for years, which will no doubt be interpreted as "lmao fans who have a go cos he didn't score in one match", naturally

Rossa

Glad people are finally noticing how poor his work rate is. I've said it many times but if we want to win trophies he can't be a starter because he is far to inconsistent especially when he isn't scoring goals because his overall game like hold up play and linking with team-mates are average at best.
Of course he has terrible work rate. Heck, Ronaldo ran past him several times to chase the ball when Rashford lost it only to stand still. And Ronaldo wasn’t exactly renowned for tracking back.

Rossa

He has these games quite often. It’s more like he just gives up, or goes in to a sulk. And it’s weird because you can see in other games where ok he doesn’t defend well but he’ll challenge or press people up top. Then you get games like yesterday against superior opposition and he quits.
Agreed. After he lost that first sprint against Walker, he looked to just give up.

Cole9

Invisible.

30 goals or not, I can’t see us competing for the top honours with him in the starting 11 every game. It’s pointless playing him up top. It should be on the left or on the bench.

In typical United fashion we’ll now give him a £350,000 a week, 5/6 year contract.

Marwood

He talked pre game about concentrating on being in goal scoring postions. Not wasting energy dropping too deep.

Think he took that to an extreme yesterday.

Idxomer

He was fine on the ball yesterday, didn't misplace a lot of passes or run into a crowd dribbling. The main problem as noted was his workrate and it's not like he isn't capable when he's switched on. He did track back and took the ball off Rodri at one time, most of the time though he doesn't seem bothered till we get the ball. The defenders don't worry about him when they have the ball and it does affect our pressing when one of our forwards is standing there doing nothing.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he's emblematic of a lot of our problems and most of his teammates.

Many good players but lacking that drive to win at all costs.

LS17

He looked exhausted from the first minute and struggled to get in to it. Injury was definitely legitimate at the end though when he went down, he could barely move afterwards and was clutching the back of his leg

stw2022

Invisible.

30 goals or not, I can’t see us competing for the top honours with him in the starting 11 every game. It’s pointless playing him up top. It should be on the left or on the bench.

In typical United fashion we’ll now give him a £350,000 a week, 5/6 year contract.
If the squad was where it needs to be to challenge for league championships, he would be a very good rotation/off the bench option. But you can't go into battle with many players like him leading the line because he has so little about him unless it's a perfect storm. If he's feeling good, isn't remembering past injuries, has a smile on his face, against a team that plays a high line, he gets on the ball and he can be bothered to put in a shift he's out of this world. But that's not something a serious side relies on in their starting line up every week.

-Supreme-

He was fine on the ball yesterday, didn't misplace a lot of passes or run into a crowd dribbling. The main problem as noted was his workrate and it's not like he isn't capable when he's switched on. He did track back and took the ball off Rodri at one time, most of the time though he doesn't seem bothered till we get the ball. The defenders don't worry about him when they have the ball and it does affect our pressing when one of our forwards is standing there doing nothing.
Yup, he has those rare moments of sprinting back helping out once every other game, but majority of times he is non existence where he pretends to be defending by casually walking around / closing spaces.

stw2022

I get injuries but too often he's fit enough to play but apparently not fit enough to put in a shift. I don't get that. He's the only player who gets away with that over the last couple of years. He isn't selected against his will. If you're injured or not fit, you shouldn't play.

People tend to decide if he's injured or not by looking at his performance often over a full 90 min game he wasn't injured enough to miss a minute of.

Lee565

Didn't look fit and wasn't helped by team mates spamming poor long balls for him to hopelessly chase down

stw2022

From Christmas to mid February he was very good. Best run of form of his career.

Looking just at his league goals this season, the three month period mid-season is doing all the heavy lifting when it comes to reviewing how his season has gone. He scored 4 goals in first four months of the season and 3 goals in the last 3 months.

His season was 60 days

Last edited:

Belisarius

I think City's tactics seemed to take him out of the game offensively. I haven't watched the game back but it seemed to me City often had Walker covering Rashford and/or had 2 defenders on him most of the game. I think we tried to shift him around the front line a bit to get him away from Walker but were never able to find him any space. When we tried to have him run in behind, he's ineffective against Walker because he can't outrun him. So, I don't entirely blame him for not producing much offensively.

But, as many in here have pointed out his lack of effort in pressing or trying to win the many high long balls De Gea sent was really disappointing. I really think he's got some mentality issues. He either needs to learn how to still contribute effectively when he's not scoring or I don't think he will have a long term future here.

I understand why he wasn't subbed because we needed a goal and he has been our best goal scorer over the course of the season. But, he was so poor at the end that I think we should have considered bringing Pellistri or even Elanga on for him.

Stacks

If the squad was where it needs to be to challenge for league championships, he would be a very good rotation/off the bench option. But you can't go into battle with many players like him leading the line because he has so little about him unless it's a perfect storm. If he's feeling good, isn't remembering past injuries, has a smile on his face, against a team that plays a high line, he gets on the ball and he can be bothered to put in a shift he's out of this world. But that's not something a serious side relies on in their starting line up every week.
11 assists
From Christmas to mid February he was very good. Best run of form of his career.

Looking just at his league goals this season, the three month period mid-season is doing all the heavy lifting when it comes to reviewing how his season has gone. He scored 4 goals in first four months of the season and 3 goals in the last 3 months.

His season was 60 days
He has played 11 league matches, 3 goals, 2 assists. United would be in league one if not for Rashford's goal scoring form this season

Status
Not open for further replies.