Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

Remember this one ?

I don't understand how the FA watched this and did nothing about the rules. How can a goal stand that has clearly only been possible because of a handball? It's going out of play if it doesn't hit his hand. After we've had 3 of these handball decisions today, I hope something changes soon.

Olecurls99

Just thinking about that stupid disallowed goal. He must have felt the ball hit his arm. He must have known that VAR would have a look if he scored. He must have known that if another player scored then his accidental handball wouldn’t be an issue.

Sooooooo… should he be criticised for not rolling it to Bruno for a tap-in?
I'm fairly sure it still would have been disallowed if he passed to Bruno too. If a goal is scored with a handball it's disallowed, no?

CloneMC16

I'm fairly sure it still would have been disallowed if he passed to Bruno too. If a goal is scored with a handball it's disallowed, no?
Nope. Only seems to be if the player that handballed it scores themselves during that phase. If the ball is passed, the goal is allowed. We had that against Boro. If the player that handballs it scores in the 2nd phase, that is also supposedly allowed. Happened today for Antonio.

Olecurls99

Nope. Only seems to be if the player that handballed it scores themselves during that phase. If the ball is passed, the goal is allowed. We had that against Boro. If the player that handballs it scores in the 2nd phase, that is also supposedly allowed. Happened today for Antonio.
Bloody hell. How stupid can a rule be?

arthurka

Unlucky today, should've had both an assist and a goal. But that chance came straight after Lampard went gung ho and removed the RB.

CloneMC16

Bloody hell. How stupid can a rule be?
I don't understand it. I feel like the handball rule needs to go back to being more of an subjective call. Did the flight of the ball change and give the player/team an advantage? If so, you rule it out. If it's more like Rashford's and it hasn't given him an advantage, you allow it.

Grande

Rules of the game at FA says it’s hand ball if the player scores in the opponents' goal:
directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper OR
immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.

So today’s VAR team was completely sure that it was a ‘clear and obvious error’ not to deem it ‘immediately after’, when Rashford runs 20 meters, handles the ball four times and Pickford touches it in between.

I’m going to bet there are a host of different interpretations among refs as to what ‘immediately’ actually means.

CloneMC16

Rules of the game at FA says it’s hand ball if the player scores in the opponents' goal:
directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper OR
immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.

So today’s VAR team was completely sure that it was a ‘clear and obvious error’ not to deem it ‘immediately after’, when Rashford runs 20 meters, handles the ball four times and Pickford touches it in between.

I’m going to bet there are a host of different interpretations among refs as to what ‘immediately’ actually means.
It just shows that these rules should be changed. I wouldn't consider the goal to be immediately after the handball, but the term is probably subjective.

I don't know what the fairest solution is, but I have doubts that many people would think a goal being scored in this way should be disallowed. For their own team, at least.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
another good performance. I like that he’s fighting with defenders again. a few times he backed into them and pushed them off before holding onto the ball. he wasn’t managing that last season.

it seems he’s put on weight/muscle or improved his core strength. really unlucky to have his goal disallowed.

Good performance. Looks like he’s found his blistering pace again and in the last 2 matches since his POTM award he’s been sprinting and finding that appetite for the game again. Good crossing and link up play in general. Unlucky VAR chalked off his goal.

Golden Nugget

Overall it was a good performance from him - but there was a period in the game where he was just walking around, ignoring his defensive work while Bruno was running past him and even Ronaldo was pressing. Not long later, he has his disallowed goal and starts sprinting when defending.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
In the sequence for his disallowed goal he won a header!, then chased down the opposition, winning the ball and creating his own chance. He messed up the finish but that type of energy is exactly what we need from him consistently. I thought he had an okay game, nothing special but as long as he's putting his shift in, he is earning his starting spot.

norm87cro

I think Rashford was quite good. I like that he's stopped trying to run through 3 defenders and making much better decisions on the ball. He deserved his goal. These rules need a change. He also put a brilliant ball into Casemiro. He should have had a goal and an assist.
This. The haters are running out of ammo and Im loving it

Lentwood

These are the performances I want to see from Rashford and also demonstrates why I don't really care for the 'goal contributions'/statistical arguments

Didn't score, didn't get an assist but worked hard, chased lost causes, protected the ball, used the ball well...all of the things I actually look for in a footballer

I'd much rather see regular performances like that than the half-arsed walking about the pitch, not competing, complicating everything on the ball and then scoring a tap-in

flameinthesun

These are the performances I want to see from Rashford and also demonstrates why I don't really care for the 'goal contributions'/statistical arguments

Didn't score, didn't get an assist but worked hard, chased lost causes, protected the ball, used the ball well...all of the things I actually look for in a footballer

I'd much rather see regular performances like that than the half-arsed walking about the pitch, not competing, complicating everything on the ball and then scoring a tap-in
Definitely think there is a level he can go up but agree, a Rashford that performs like yesterday stays in the team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This is nuts. You seem to be arguing that when you used to play football the ball would hit you on the arm and you wouldn’t feel it. If you didn’t feel the ball hit your arm, how do you know it hit your arm? Was there VAR in the league you played in?!
No but there are things like wet patches and mud stains. Things happen quickly sometimes and when you have the ball touch multiple places in quick succession that can happen. But of course you know what you know so you must be right.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No but there are things like wet patches and mud stains. Things happen quickly sometimes and when you have the ball touch multiple places in quick succession that can happen. But of course you know what you know so you must be right.
I know when a football hits my bare arm I feel it. That’s literally the only point I’m arguing right now. Can’t quite believe there’s anyone out there who would disagree with that but here we are.

Cassidy

I know when a football hits my bare arm I feel it. That’s literally the only point I’m arguing right now. Can’t quite believe there’s anyone out there who would disagree with that but here we are.
Again Im speaking from first hand experience to let you know it can happen. You can use that information how you like

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just thinking about that stupid disallowed goal. He must have felt the ball hit his arm. He must have known that VAR would have a look if he scored. He must have known that if another player scored then his accidental handball wouldn’t be an issue.

Sooooooo… should he be criticised for not rolling it to Bruno for a tap-in?
No, in the heat of the moment I wouldn't expect him to recall one of the most ridiculous rules in football.

If it happens to him again then maybe there'd be a point but yeah, as it stands I wouldn't blame him at all.

Lentwood

Definitely think there is a level he can go up but agree, a Rashford that performs like yesterday stays in the team.
I think we need to give all of the players a fresh start and judge them solely on their performances under ETH. If I had only ever seen this Rashford, I would conclude we're a better team with him than without him, so definitely deserves his starting spot at the moment

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No, in the heat of the moment I wouldn't expect him to recall one of the most ridiculous rules in football.

If it happens to him again then maybe there'd be a point but yeah, as it stands I wouldn't blame him at all.
Yeah, I think that’s fair. Part of me was thinking they should rehearse incidents like this. They’re not going to get away with scoring when the ball has hit them on their arm, so maybe work those scenarios in training? Even something which seems silly like a shouting a phrase to strikers when through on goal which triggers them to act as though the ball hit their hand. Fine margins and all that.

Of course, the absolute refereeing clown show we saw in the West Ham game would make a nonsense of all of the above. So it’s as you were really.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That LW spot is his to lose as far as I'm concerned. He's now had more good performances than bad ones this season. Think a lot of our season's hopes are going to rely on him and Antony providing equal threat down both flanks, one can dream right?

Hammondo

Mixed performance from him. At times he just lost the ball for no reason with bad passes and run, at other teams he did well. Once Martial went off it showed more because of Ronaldo, I do not think they are a good match for each other.

Lecland07

People complain about him not constantly pressing, but it will be pretty stupid if he used up all his energy and had none left to actually be able to attack. You have to remember that we are not a team that controls possession. Most teams that are able to sustain a press throughout the 90 minutes also have about 60%-70% possession consistently consistently throughout the season. We don't have that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
@Pogue Mahone @Cassidy An interesting note - on their latest podcast both Michael Antonio and Callum Wilson claim to have not realised the ball has actually hit their arm before they've scored a goal... So can take that for what is worth.

Cassidy

@Pogue Mahone @Cassidy An interesting note - on their latest podcast both Michael Antonio and Callum Wilson claim to have not realised the ball has actually hit their arm before they've scored a goal... So can take that for what is worth.
Ha - I had forgotten about this conversation, but yes it can happen

acnumber9

Constant threat and looked the most likely to score. Apart of course from the few sitters he missed.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Lively... but what in the feck was that finishing?

Made Timo Werner look like Romario today.

Status
Not open for further replies.