Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unless you're thinking of Ronaldo, wide forwards don't usually score headers.

Mbappe is the extreme version of Rashford. Unreal pace, that makes the rest of his game work.
I haven't watched enough Liverpool to be sure about this, but pace and finishing were definitely Mane's strengths, and he seemed to be good but not great at everything else.

Yes, he would have no place at City or Bayern. But apart from Martinez and maybe the Dortmund version of Sancho, no one else would either.
Mbappe’s technical ability is so far ahead of Rashford it’s not even funny. Ditto Mane’s workrate and strength on the ball. Plus Mane’s weaker foot is miles better than Rashford, who couldn’t kick snow off a rope with his left foot. And Mane scores plenty of headers.

Feck me it’s a depressing job comparing Rashford with legitimate top class players in the same position…

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
His work rate and attitude is quite poor.

And his talent doesn’t match the reputation he has in British press and pundits.

Marwood

For a tall lad with broad shoulders he's so weak.

At one down he had a legitimately good chance to get through.

The last defender was the wrong side of him, he had the perfect angle to push him out the way, to use a bit of body strength but alas nothing there.

Fell over instead.

RedDevilQuebecois

Considering that both Rashford and Sancho got dropped from an England squad that has been poor for months, one would think that they would try to do everything to make the national manager eat a lot of crow by performing at club level. That was just outright pathetic from Rashford regardless of where he plays on a teamsheet.

RedDevilQuebecois

The successful public facade of 'home grown lad, loves the club, bleeds red' when for the longest time he's had the workrate and application of the worst kind of 'lazy overseas player who regrets signing and wants out of the club ASAP and wears gloves when it falls below 14 degrees' is the most impressive public relations achievements that can be attributed to any professional athlete in the last 10 years.
If I didn't know any better, I would say that Rashford is merely the homegrown version of Angel Di Maria.

Doracle

For a tall lad with broad shoulders he's so weak.

At one down he had a legitimately good chance to get through.

The last defender was the wrong side of him, he had the perfect angle to push him out the way, to use a bit of body strength but alas nothing there.

Fell over instead.
Weird criticism but to be expected on this thread. I remember that incident and he did everything right. Knocked the defender out of the way and then his foot slipped. That’s bad luck not something to be criticised for (unless you think he had chosen the wrong studs?).

Not his best game but hard to blame the number 9 when the rest of the team is dreadful. Looking forward to hopefully seeing him linking up with Martial from the LW going forwards.

Waynne

He was back to his usual self today . He made Ake look like a Ball carrying midfielder to be fair to him.
Everytime Ake was allowed to run straight through our midfield with Rashford just looking on made me rage.

One trick pony, running onto through balls or an absolute waste of a shirt!
This.

Only decent when its an open game.

Foxbatt

Everytime Ake was allowed to run straight through our midfield with Rashford just looking on made me rage.

This.

Only decent when its an open game.
It can't be more open than this. We got hammered for 6 goals. It's not as if City set back and defended for their lives and hit us on the counter all the time .
People will say that his best position is on the left wing. I agree with that he is better on the left rather than as CF. The question is that is he good enough to be a regular for United or any other top club on the left wing? I say no. He is not good enough.

Waynne

It can't be more open than this. We got hammered for 6 goals. It's not as if City set back and defended for their lives and hit us on the counter all the time .
People will say that his best position is on the left wing. I agree with that he is better on the left rather than as CF. The question is that is he good enough to be a regular for United or any other top club on the left wing? I say no. He is not good enough.
Doesn't have the quality. You can't rely on him to create something from wide areas. He the has pace to stretch defenses but when he gets the ball in advanced areas you can't rely on him to make the smart decision to play in his team mates nor can you bank on him to create something for himself to score.

stw2022

If I didn't know any better, I would say that Rashford is merely the homegrown version of Angel Di Maria.
Unsure why he's not called out on it more. It's not just that he's limited, it's that he's not arsed. He isn't even bothered to challenge in the air to the point where his attempts at winning headers almost look sarcastic.

And yet, to a very significant degree, he still gets away with this 'United through and through, poster boy' act. He's probably the least 'United player' we've had in a long time.

NK86

He wasn't on the pitch whilst City were up for it and Martial is much more attuned to playing as a number 9.
Rashford is a wide attacker, pretty obvious we weren't going to be building attacks with his hold up play and City nullified our passes in the channels for him to run onto. But feel free to carry on blaming him for filling in as best he can.
Yeah, Rashford was pressing, fighting for his life, not giving simple passes away, not having the first touch of a rock. It's only that is not suited to playing as a striker that was the problem.

Yet you come in talking about anti-English agenda while all you've done is try to project Rashford being an abject failure because of the position he played when even a blind dog could see he showed zero fight and effort while being absolutely awful in doing the basics too.
As for him drifting to the left, Akanji was under no pressure throughout the game.

Not sure what game you watched if you feel Rashford was awful simply because he was out of position rather than him being completely useless and overall a poor technical footballer not good enough for where we aspire to be.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am still shocked he won PL player of the month above the likes of Haaland, who is in superb form.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Considering that both Rashford and Sancho got dropped from an England squad that has been poor for months, one would think that they would try to do everything to make the national manager eat a lot of crow by performing at club level. That was just outright pathetic from Rashford regardless of where he plays on a teamsheet.
Rashford wasn't drop. He withdrew due to injury. Sancho was the only one being dropped.

dan1509

Someone else already said it but I feel it needs to be reiterated. This is how he ALWAYS plays. The only difference is that he didnt get a through ball against a high defensive line to go one on one with the keeper. This is why judging players by statistics is an awful indicator of their quality. For further evidence, see Bruno

Marwood

Weird criticism but to be expected on this thread. I remember that incident and he did everything right. Knocked the defender out of the way and then his foot slipped. That’s bad luck not something to be criticised for (unless you think he had chosen the wrong studs?).

Not his best game but hard to blame the number 9 when the rest of the team is dreadful. Looking forward to hopefully seeing him linking up with Martial from the LW going forwards.
You can say slipped but he just wasn't strong enough for me. Big part of the reason he can't play CF.

stw2022

So... What's the excuse this week?

Lack of preseason? Tired? Wrong position?
He cares about the club too much, which caused him to have a fall out with his partner that led to kids starving and a Messiah-like mural of his very image to shed a tear that sent distracting shock waves across the world

Has a player with as little raw talent and ability achieved such high celebrity status in Football?

Raven

It's been incredibly clear for a very long time that he's not a striker. He's been pretty good this season so I hope this doesn't knock his confidence too badly.

OmarUnited4ever

Player of Month award, then followed by a shit performance.

He isn't really at the level of top team forward.

Smores

Someone else already said it but I feel it needs to be reiterated. This is how he ALWAYS plays. The only difference is that he didnt get a through ball against a high defensive line to go one on one with the keeper. This is why judging players by statistics is an awful indicator of their quality. For further evidence, see Bruno
Pretty much I find it odd anyone saying he's been good this season.

He's lasy and simply doesn't know how to play as a striker. Now its not his fault he's being asked to play there it's circumstance but the effort is inexcusable.

JeffFromHK

Pretty much I find it odd anyone saying he's been good this season.

He's lasy and simply doesn't know how to play as a striker. Now its not his fault he's being asked to play there it's circumstance but the effort is inexcusable.
Rashford's style is tailored for those youtube highlights and social media. Apart from decent (i.e. at Darren Bent, Defoe, or Louis Saha level) goal/assist output. He basically lacks everything in the game.

No pressing
No off the runs to create space for teammates
No ball shielding and distribution as pivot
Almost no dribbling in past couple years
No header, unable to win any aerial duels against 2nd class CBs.
Lacks fight, energy and never die attitude.

You can't be a top team consistently starting like of Rashford (or McTominay, etc).

As soon as I saw him and McTominay in the lineup I knew we had no chance. I understand Ten Hag thought we might get chances on the break but City win the ball back so quickly up high, and he can't hold the ball up at all when he does get it as a number 9. If he doesn't get those gaps in behind we might aswell play with 10 men.

Idxomer

He's just too static these days in any position if the ball isn't played in behind against a high defensive line. This makes him pretty useless in like 99% of most games.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Very true. If we are to believe the leaks coming from his side, he wants to start on the left so that he can make the diagonal run in-behind the defensive line. He basically lives and breathes for a specific pass - the through ball in-behind that leads to a direct shot - which, according to OPTA is the most difficult pass in football since no player has managed one per game since 2009-10. Not even that Argentinian short fella, who's probably the best footballer to grace the game.

I'd like to add a couple of things. Firstly, it doesn't have to do with a high line. City played a high-line yesterday, and Rashford didn't get a sniff at goal. Again, according to OPTA, one of the reasons the number of through balls behind the defence that lead to direct shots has plummeted in recent years is because the introduction of VAR has made the teams that implement a high line even more courageous. They gain more in the long-term by making the pitch smaller and the first ball out of the defence more difficult by playing the percentages, knowing that half a toe, shown in his resolution, will turn the decision in their favour.

Plus, there's a misconception that the midfielder's vision is all that matters against compact defences. The quality of the forward is as important as anything else. I argued, a few pages back, that Rashford's issue is not just how much space he needs. It's also how much time he needs to execute. Can he spot the pockets of space against organized defences? And when he does, can he finish when he's afforded one or, at best, two touches? Or does he always need the perfect ball that is so hard to find?

And pace can only mean something in correlation with technical skill, vision and intelligence. As we say in my part of the world: Horses are fast, it doesn't mean they'd make good footballers.

studs

Was never a good footballer and never will be one, he is just too overated and doesn't have any technical ability or iQ to match the hype. What you see now from Rashford has always been Rashford, nothing will change with him.

Fabio Rochemback

I feel for him a bit, he's very obviously not a lone striker and is having to play there out of necessity.

His hold up play is totally non-existent. He doesn't know when to come short for the ball and even if he did, he has neither the touch or use of his body to make it stick. He's a good option on the left, because he's quick, tricky, has a good shot on him, and has decent movement and decent ability to get involved in quick passing moves (sometimes). I do think he can still be a good player here, just not a nailed on starter, so any reasonable bid should be strongly considered.

Doracle

He's probably our best player when up against the big teams. He didn't show it in this one though, extremely sloppy
When did he return to training? He didn’t look sharp to me but he also got no service either. There were a couple of times he took up dangerous positions and Bruno or one of our other midfielders played a poor pass which might have led to him being away if they’d got it right. Sancho and Antony were non-existent as well so nothing from the wide areas either (although Antony improved after his excellent goal). Definitely one of the least culpable in an overall horror performance.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
People focus way too much on what footballers can't do then what they can do when used optimally. Rashford has always been indifferent at centre forward and always will be. Get him cutting in from the left, with someone else providing the focal point and laying balls on for him and we have a completely different asset. Rashford is an inside left and should do little else but play there. The club need to stop wasting him and messing around with him at centre forward.

Foxbatt

He can't even control the ball and his heading is non-existent. He can push and run and has a good shot. That's all he can do now. He is going to score the odd brilliant goal now and then for sure.

Chief123

It probably feels inappropriate to criticise him after getting 2 goals and 1 assist, but there are still some concerning aspects of his game which don't seem to be changing or improving even under ETH.

It was quite noticeable yesterday and even previous games where is off the ball work and intensity is still poor. There were a few occasions yesterday where the crowd got on his back because he made very little effort to close down or press in situations where we could have put pressure on the defenders and keeper. I'm certain ETH would want forwards who have high intensity and pressing which I'm sure is what ETH keeps referring to after every match that we need to improve on our pressing. It was noticeable Bruno getting frustrated with Rashford on one occasion yesterday where Rashford should have been the one to press but he just slowed down and Bruno went and pressed instead.

If we are going to beat teams who sit deep, the high intensity and pressing is very important as that is what will allow us to force errors and lead to key chances. Rashford's pace will be less important in these games.
My thoughts are still exactly the same as a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.