View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

el3mel

Anyone remembers that Mourinho used to speak highly of Rashford's energy, pressing and how defensively responsible he was?

I do agree that Rashford as of now is a detriment in many things but it wasnt always that way. He picked up those habits over time.
Years of Ole's amateur coaching probably left its toll.
He was far more energetic during LVG and Mourinho days, when he was a kid trying to prove himself, then Ole came and basically made him the superstar and icon of the team, and that's when Rashford started to act like Ronaldo and think he's not supposed to do defensive work as he's above that.

zaafi

Indeed. We've got a winger in Rashford who can cut in and shoot effectively and also go on the outside and cut it back. Hojlund has already had two big chances from the latter in 90 minutes, plus another great cross from Rashford with his left foot that he should have got on the end of.

But apparently Rashford is selfish and never looks up.
Rashford created 30 chances last season and 9 the season before. Give it a rest already. Embarrassing numbers for a left forward.

Doracle

Rashford created 30 chances last season and 9 the season before. Give it a rest already. Embarrassing numbers for a left forward.
How many did Antony create last season out of interest? Given he should have had Rashford to pick out with through balls/crosses (and we know how selfish Rashford is so he’s bound to have had lots of shots) Antony must have had loads more from that RW position?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mate, he's our best attacker by a country mile. It's not even close. So you can complain all you want, but no sane manager would drop him for some young lads who aren't anywhere near his level.

I'm not arguing that he isn't our best attacker though. I'm stating that there's 0 excuse for him being a lazy cnut out of possession given his faults as a player. And either that has to change or people need to accept that he's not worth "building around" in a sense that he's untouchable, especially since we've seen him do it properly and work his socks off (which means it's an attitude issue). You can't build entire squads around players that are so fundamentally flawed, it's going to create clear weaknesses within your "best XI" that any decent team will exploit.

Valencia Shin Crosses

How many did Antony create last season out of interest? Given he should have had Rashford to pick out with through balls/crosses (and we know how selfish Rashford is so he’s bound to have had lots of shots) Antony must have had loads more from that RW position?
To be fair Antony is terrible so that's not a great shout :lol: he's even more selfish than Rashford.

skc_18

He's our best player, we can't afford to drop him as we have no better options, and I believe him and Casemiro were the only reasons we finished top 4 last year.

One the same side I'm starting to get tired of his laziness and inconsistencies. He can't play two seasons in a row with the same form.

Honestly, starting to think the fact him and Bruno are our best players is one of the reasons we suck as a team. Both are inconsistent and has a rock bottom level when they're on off day.
Indeed. We've got a winger in Rashford who can cut in and shoot effectively and also go on the outside and cut it back. Hojlund has already had two big chances from the latter in 90 minutes, plus another great cross from Rashford with his left foot that he should have got on the end of.

Exactly the reason for his inconsistency I reckon. In our team, we dont have any one who is capable of producing dribbles / goals other than Rashford. Hoping Hojlund will change that but have to see.
I dont think Coaching team is even asking him to pass to other players probably because they know that his cutting in and shooting gonna give better outcome than passing to other player.
Although Rashford still does quite a bit of defensive work , look for a player to pass etc.. I feel Rashford has been given the license to just concentrate on attacking side.

Doracle

He was far more energetic during LVG and Mourinho days, when he was a kid trying to prove himself, then Ole came and basically made him the superstar and icon of the team, and that's when Rashford started to act like Ronaldo and think he's not supposed to do defensive work as he's above that.
Didn’t this drop in workrate coincide with him badly injuring his back, rather than Ole taking over as manager?

I definitely think he should be better at pressing than he is (although smarter pressing rather than more) but I do think it’s quite likely that it was the injury, rather than arrogance, which led to the change in approach.

He was also playing CF/LF on Saturday wasn’t he? How much tracking back is a Cf supposed to do, especially when we are aiming to use his pace to hit them on the break.

Doracle

To be fair Antony is terrible so that's not a great shout :lol: he's even more selfish than Rashford.
Quite - so Rashford scored 30 goals plus 11 assists (and probably a few penalties won as well) despite having a “terrible” RW who created nothing for him and Wout Weghorst as his main attacking buddies.

Even this season Antony and Garnacho were both appalling when Rashford played up front, and gave him no help at all, and he’s created most of our chances since moving back to LW - either for himself or Hojlund.

Why exactly are people in this thread talking about the number of chances he creates as though that’s the problem in our attack?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Quite - so Rashford scored 30 goals plus 11 assists (and probably a few penalties won as well) despite having a “terrible” RW who created nothing for him and Wout Weghorst as his main attacking buddies.

Even this season Antony and Garnacho were both appalling when Rashford played up front, and gave him no help at all, and he’s created most of our chances since moving back to LW - either for himself or Hojlund.

Why exactly are people in this thread talking about the number of chances he creates as though that’s the problem in our attack?
I mean it has to do with an earlier point some in here, including me, have made. His complete apathy towards defensive work is unacceptable for a player that isn't the total package going forward. He isn't an Mbappe/Ronaldo/Messi level attacking outlet that can stroll around until he's fed the ball and win the game on his own. He's a good goalscoring winger that's quite dangerous, but he's not complete in the slightest mainly because he's poor creatively. That's okay of course, as very few players can be elite in front of goal and creating for others, but it's not okay when he doesn't bring any sort of presence out of possession either.

So fans end up frustrated watching him against Brighton because while he was very dangerous, he failed to score any of his many shots and missed some easy opportunities to play others in WHILE being lazy off the ball.

Drizzle

If you're claiming Rashford's stats from last season are embarrassing then I don't know what to say :lol:

zaafi

If you're claiming Rashford's stats from last season are embarrassing then I don't know what to say :lol:
I don't care if he scores 10 goals in League Cup. He created 30 chances in Premier League, which is what we all want to win. You're not going to win the league with players that are both lazy and selfish. If he was close to Mbappé's level or Messi, then it would be fine, but even Mbappé isn't as selfish as him. Besides, Neymar/Mbappé/Messi struggled in Champions League because of their lack of work rate, despite being the best attacking trio in the world by far.

I didn't say his goals/assists are embarrassing. I said the amount of chances he creates is embarrassing.

zaafi

Antony created 28 and played 1000 less minutes than Rashford. Why is this relevant, anyway? No one claimed that Antony created many chances. Antony is also way too selfish, similar to Rashford.

Drizzle

I don't care if he scores 10 goals in League Cup. He created 30 chances in Premier League, which is what we all want to win. You're not going to win the league with players that are both lazy and selfish. If he was close to Mbappé's level or Messi, then it would be fine, but even Mbappé isn't as selfish as him. Besides, Neymar/Mbappé/Messi struggled in Champions League because of their lack of work rate, despite being the best attacking trio in the world by far.

I didn't say his goals/assists are embarrassing. I said the amount of chances he creates is embarrassing.
Sigh. Firstly he played as a striker for part of the season. Secondly he had Weghorst and a 37yo Ronaldo as his striker partners. Thirdly he got 11 assists last season. Fourthly he's already created 2 or 3 good chances for Hojlund in less than 90 minutes of playing football together.

Finally he scored 30 sodding goals. 30. Goals.

You can cherrypick minor stats to fit your agenda all you like, but Rashford was excellent last season, easily one of our best players. Goodnight.

zaafi

Incorrect. Both Bruno and Antony have created more than him.

The tiny amount of chances he creates clearly shows his selfishness, which is why it's being talked about. It's an issue with him, as is his laziness.

zaafi

Sigh. Firstly he played as a striker for part of the season. Secondly he had Weghorst and a 37yo Ronaldo as his striker partners. Thirdly he got 11 assists last season. Fourthly he's already created 2 or 3 good chances for Hojlund in less than 90 minutes of playing football together.

Finally he scored 30 sodding goals. 30. Goals.

You can cherrypick minor stats to fit your agenda all you like, but Rashford was excellent last season, easily one of our best players. Goodnight.
Salah scored 32 goals and had 10 assists in PL alone in his first season. Do you see the difference in quality here? Rashford's goals/assists numbers overall are very good, but not ridiculous.

Ronaldo was PL's number three top scorer in the season where Rashford created 9 chances in the entire PL season. Elanga created more than him ffs.

He has created 2 big chances all season. I'll wait and see if Rashford and Højlund will link up, but there were three occasions where Rashford could have created chances, but he decided to do it by himself and failed. I don't care if he creates two chances all game, when he fecks up the other attacks. Decision making has to be improved, or we're not going to be any more than a top 4 team.

Drizzle

Salah scored 32 goals and had 10 assists in PL alone in his first season. Do you see the difference in quality here?
So you're saying Salah is better than Rashford? Fair enough. But so what? Salah is one of the best forwards of recent years. Also, Salah had Firmino and Mane to work with, and TAA behind him. Look at what Rashford has had to work with.
I don't care if he creates two chances all game, when he fecks up the other attacks.
I mean, that's not how attacking works. Most attacks break down but it's a numbers game. If you could guarantee Rashford creates two good chances for Hojlund every 90 minutes (which he's done so far) I'd knock your hand off.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Ronaldo was PL's number three top scorer in the season where Rashford created 9 chances in the entire PL season. Elanga created more than him ffs.
You know you're clutching at straws when you still feel the need to reference the one bad season he's had out of his last four seasons. He's had over 20 goals and over 10 assists in three out of his last four seasons, he's just coming off the back of a 30 goal season where he won our PoY awards, and yet you're bringing up that one season under Rangnick where all of our players looked dross.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hard disagree, the only time Rashford attempted to cut it back was purely because he was out of room to make something for himself.

needs to cut the selfishness or get out of the first 11.
He can’t really win with you at this point though, can he? If he has a shot you’ll shame him for not crossing, and if he does cross you just write it off as him running out of options. All goalscorers are selfish, he isn’t a winger that looks to pass first, if that’s what we need then Rashford should be sold, that would be ridiculous though.

Marcelinho87

He can’t really win with you at this point though, can he? If he has a shot you’ll shame him for not crossing, and if he does cross you just write it off as him running out of options. All goalscorers are selfish, he isn’t a winger that looks to pass first, if that’s what we need then Rashford should be sold, that would be ridiculous though.
He can win, easily.

Make the right decision.... Simple enough really.

Dec9003

In a couple of instances yes but delayed.

I am hoping it's down to getting used to a new partner up top and not so much a selfish part of his game.
Which were delayed? Do you think there were any points in the match where he should have shot, or was it selfish every time?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Stop with the facts fella

Dec9003

Whats with the investigation? I think he was a greedy twat you don't.
I’m just interested to understand your point of view, because I’ve seen it said a lot that he was greedy but not instances outside of the obvious chance to pass to Hojlund, but that’s once over 90 mins.
Apologies if me asking you to further explain your stance has caused upset for some reason.

Cassidy

Or he was asked to do leas because he was our main transition outlet.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
oh no elanga made more key passes than rashford during the annus horribilis sell him sell him now this invalidates everything he did before and after cmon saudis come buy fraudford

zaafi

You know you're clutching at straws when you still feel the need to reference the one bad season he's had out of his last four seasons. He's had over 20 goals and over 10 assists in three out of his last four seasons, he's just coming off the back of a 30 goal season where he won our PoY awards, and yet you're bringing up that one season under Rangnick where all of our players looked dross.
Come on.. his PL stats are hardly incredible. They're fine, and some seasons he was really good. What's worrying is his lack of effort and decision making. He has barely - if at all - progressed, and he's almost 26. He's not the problem, of course, but he is a problem, like so many other players in the squad, and which is why we consistently lose/draw to mediocre teams.

17/18: 7 goals, 5 assists
18/19: 10 goals, 6 assists
19/20: 17 goals (6 penalties), 7 assists
20/21: 11 goals, 9 assists
21/22: 4 goals, 2 assists
22/23: 17 goals, 5 assists

zaafi

oh no elanga made more key passes than rashford during the annus horribilis sell him sell him now this invalidates everything he did before and after cmon saudis come buy fraudford
Go on and tell me how many sprints he made last season :drool::drool:

Cassidy

Come on.. his PL stats are hardly incredible. They're fine, and some seasons he was really good. What's worrying is his lack of effort and decision making. He has barely - if at all - progressed, and he's almost 26. He's not the problem, of course, but he is a problem, like so many other players in the squad, and which is why we consistently lose/draw to mediocre teams.

17/18: 7 goals, 5 assists
18/19: 10 goals, 6 assists
19/20: 17 goals (6 penalties), 7 assists
20/21: 11 goals, 9 assists
21/22: 4 goals, 2 assists
22/23: 17 goals, 5 assists
Those are good stats compared to other PL wide players. Minus the 21/22 season.

He can obviously improve in some areas. He would obviously be better if we had better players too.

Marcelinho87

I’m just interested to understand your point of view, because I’ve seen it said a lot that he was greedy but not instances outside of the obvious chance to pass to Hojlund, but that’s once over 90 mins.
Apologies if me asking you to further explain your stance has caused upset for some reason.
Hardly upset just not that bothered.

He's a good player, could be better and could do better it's really that simple.

He terrifies defenders with his pace and his skill - he could knock out assists for fun.

Cassidy

NZT-One

There is no real point comparing Rashford to Antony when a) Antony is on our team anyways and b) Antony didn't have the best seasons as well. Nobody denies that Rashford is the best attacker in our team but that doesn't equate to him being flawless or anything. Compare him to our rivals, he certainly holds up well but not outrageously well. And as long as he isn't producing elite numbers, it is difficult to cut him some slack for running down blind alleys (a thing that has been noted for quite some time) on a regular basis and stop participating in against-the-ball-work.

The talk of him needing better players around him sounds like Pogba... But it is a valid point of course, lets see. To me, the impression is that there is a player who sees himself as better than he is. Not that he isn't really good, but he thinks he is Mbappe level and I really doubt that. He has been labeled the best United attacker, but we have to keep in mind that this attack has been pretty shit (compared to our rivals) during this time.

Didn’t this drop in workrate coincide with him badly injuring his back, rather than Ole taking over as manager?
It coincided with him deciding to play through his injury. A thing somebody should have stopped him doing. Could it have been the manager? I guess he would have been one of the first to expect it from.

He was also playing CF/LF on Saturday wasn’t he? How much tracking back is a Cf supposed to do, especially when we are aiming to use his pace to hit them on the break.
Not gonna lie, I get the impression as if you and the other poster starting with D are running out of room to maneuvre. You think Salah doesn't have to work for the team? KDB? Obviously there are scenarios where an offensive player trys to stay free to be an option for a long ball but such a scenario isn't there when stuff is happening when in 2nd or final third after us losing the ball. When you see other players around him cutting passing lines and trying to close passing options, I think it takes a bit of creativity to state that Rashford would be the only one of our players who is freed from that.

Fourthly he's already created 2 or 3 good chances for Hojlund in less than 90 minutes of playing football together.
The more often we talk about it, the more and the better the chances get that Rashford "created" for Hojlund. Is there a chance, that your highlight clip maybe skipped a few? Maybe there were more and the whole matchday thread was absolutely wrong and only you noticed it thanks to watching your clip.

A) stop with the agenda stuff. It will only trigger the debate become even less constructive.
B) Stop acting as if it is only Rashford who gets criticized.
C) See above, there is no point endlessly comparing Rashford or the rest of our attackers. OF COURSE he has been the most productive nobody denies that. We are in competitions where our attack has to be more productive than the attacks of our rivals. Compare Rashford to them.

Drizzle

The more often we talk about it, the more and the better the chances get that Rashford "created" for Hojlund. Is there a chance, that your highlight clip maybe skipped a few? Maybe there were more and the whole matchday thread was absolutely wrong and only you noticed it thanks to watching your clip.
1) v Arsenal, reaches byline and cuts back to Hojlund, point blank save by Ramsdale
2) lovely left foot cross where Hojlund doesn't sort his feet out, should have done better from 8 yards out
3) the disallowed goal

Did he not create these? Am I missing something? That's in less than 90 minutes of football.

Drizzle

See above, there is no point endlessly comparing Rashford or the rest of our attackers. OF COURSE he has been the most productive nobody denies that. We are in competitions where our attack has to be more productive than the attacks of our rivals. Compare Rashford to them
But my whole point is that because he's our best attacker it's bizarre to focus our unhappiness on him. He's good enough. Not perfect, not world class, but very good. It's the rest of the attack and midfield we should be angry about. Just seems weird how we focus on all his shortcomings. He's not the problem.

Big Ray

His work rate destroys me more than anything. Was looking up some distance covered statistics for him. Can find nothing for this season yet, but last season he ran over 10k as an Example versus Liverpool at home where he had a great game. I’d be surprised if he broke 7k on Saturday and that is just completely unacceptable. Needs to be 10k every match.

Seems he has something he’s not happy with, whether that be tactics, his boy sancho getting sidelined or is he just afraid / too lazy to put in a shift. None of these potential reasons are acceptable by the way for the club talisman and one of the top earners.

NZT-One

But my whole point is that because he's our best attacker it's bizarre to focus our unhappiness on him. He's good enough. Not perfect, not world class, but very good. It's the rest of the attack and midfield we should be angry about. Just seems weird how we focus on all his shortcomings. He's not the problem.
I understand your point but Rashford is and has been the best of a pretty average bunch. That is why he is getting criticized. You know that Antony and Weghorst were criticized as well, right?! Rashford is very good in specific thing, running onto longballs. And Bruno is very good at giving long balls in behind. They were as productive as they were because they played in each others hands, which would be fine if a) it wouldn't just be the two who would be able to make use of it and b) if the results of this approach wouldn't make us relatively average in terms of goals and xG.
This is the point, many in here want to make. You will be able to find the best striker at Burnley. Doesn't mean he is necessarily a good or great striker. Rash and Bruno have some great capabilities, but they come with a price and while some are seemingly happy to pay the price others are questioning if that really should be the way to go. It is the Rashford thread after all and after a shit result, it shouldn't be a shock that there is criticism. Some of it may be over the top, I get it, but believe me, if he scores a low percentage shot after a low percentage dribbling some of the praise is OTT as well.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I think he had a very threatening game against Brighton but some of those moments were to the detriment of the team. Can’t see that changing because he’s put on a pedestal.

If one player stands out as entitled at United it’s Marcus Rashford. Remember last season after losing to Brentford, reports came out saying he confronted ETH for not playing him in the striker position he promised.

Since his goals dried out we are now told by everyone including Neville he does not want to play as a striker. Fair weather epitomised.

Now Marcus should tell us what is it he really wants because in his best goal scoring season ever, nearly half of his minutes were as a striker.

A king that doesn’t know or understand what leadership means. This is a problem and it will be costly if the club does not address it quickly.

Frank White

I think he had a very threatening game against Brighton but some of those moments were to the detriment of the team. Can’t see that changing because he’s put on a pedestal.

If one player stands out as entitled at United it’s Marcus Rashford. Remember last season after losing to Brentford, reports came out saying he confronted ETH for not playing him in the striker position he promised.

Since his goals dried out we are now told by everyone including Neville he does not want to play as a striker. Fair weather epitomised.

Now Marcus should tell us what is it he really wants because in his best goal scoring season ever, nearly half of his minutes were as a striker.

A king that doesn’t know or understand what leadership means. This is a problem and it will be costly if the club does not address it quickly.
Got a link for that? Can't seem to find anything about it online.