4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't think holding on to him would bring us closer to a PL win or a good performance in the CL. He feels so...Everton.
There are several "senior" players we have in the club who won't look out of place in a 2008 Spurs team. He's one of them.

jem

And let's also have it right...he scored 17 goals in the Premier League in what is widely regarded as his best ever season.

17 is fine, but we're not talking about some kind of record-breaking season. I couldn't care less about goals in all competitions really because we know the opposition can be significantly weaker in cups, especially in Europa League seasons.

I have never been impressed or kidded even for one minute. I bet I have posts from 2019ish saying he's not all he blown up to be. It was obvious to people with an eye for a player - shame there's nobody at United who's a decent judge because I would have sold him for £80/90m four or five seasons ago.
To be honest, I don't think his 2022-23 season was that much better than Martial's 2019-20 season. Both very good seasons, but hardly all-conquering.

Last edited:

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Do you really think any of the 5 players you mentioned would be starting for City? Like I said, good players for sure, but not good enough to improve our starting eleven or elevate the team, never mind titlecontenders. Those are players you would buy as cover/rotation options for your starting eleven.

None of the players we have right now are performing to their own standards right now, and that's down to the management. Every player in our squad is playing at a level far below their actual quality or potential. I would let a new management assess our entire squad and have a go with them, before selling good players and replacing them with similar or worse quality players. New manager -> clean sheets

Rashford is definitely not our weakest link.
?? You really do not see the difference between 19 y old, 70k a week Garnacho and 26 y old, 375k a week Rashford?

Onana not having a good run? Maguire? Dalot? AWB? Mainoo? Hojlund breaking records? Bruno not being top class but within his measures, performing? Amad? Mount getting back and scoring?

But, again, you really don't think Garnacho's run the last 7 months completly stinks out whatever Rashford is serving? I'm kind of lost for words...

troylocker

I don't know your age but I assure you then when Kanchelskis and Ince left United that what massive. Kanchelskis was as effective on the right as Giggs was on the left while Ince was the best DM in the EPL. United weren't even able to bring replacements which meant that we were set to play with Keane as DM (Keane was a B2B midfielder at the time and had little experience in a deeper role), a very unconventional RW for the time ie Beckham and a forward in CM in Scholes. Sure these players were gifted and would end up becoming legends but back then, they had little experience in those roles/in the EPL. Guess what? We ended up better then before. The reason was that all negative vibes generated by Kanchelskis/Ince was gone and the squad stuck together. 2 years later Eric Cantona left and he was replaced with Teddy Sheringham who was clearly an inferior player. I remembered being pelted by Liverpool fans because of it. Again not only United didn't suffer with that but it thrived. That's because Eric's aura was far too big for players to ignore which meant that everyone looked at him before passing the ball. That made us predictable (Lippi's words not mine). Once Eric was gone, that mentality changed and everyone became an outlet for goals.

Rashford barely contribute defensively. He expects to be given a lion share of chances and he simply doesn't score goals or create as many chances to deserve that. On top of that he's on 300k a week. Therefore we've got a high earner/senior player who simply jogs around for most of the time and who expects to be kept in the thick of the action with barely any end product to show for it. That creates friction in the squad (why is he playing while I am not?), it makes us unpredictable and its unsustainable financially and football wise.

So yes, I would swap him with someone who might not be as good technically but would put a shift in. God knows how much we need someone who can drop deep, help the midfield out and who thinks that giving an assist to Hojlund is a viable option as opposed to try and score himself every single time.
I have been following Man United since the around 1980.
The big difference here is that mid 90s we were already a titlewinning team and had our best ever generation of youngsters coming through the ranks. We didn't have massive weaknesses in our squad like we do now. Then you can do sideways moves or recruit from your own ranks. The last season with Kanchelskis and Ince we would have won the league if we just beat West Ham on the final match day, or if Cantona hadn't done his kung fu back in January. We also had enough points that season to win us the league any other year in the 90s. Point is we already had by far the best squad in the country and the class of Scholes, Becks, Butt, Giggs and Keane was ready handle the midfield the next 10 years from there. We won the PL in Erics last season here and came second the season, remember. Then we came back and won the treble with Teddy in a backup role where he played by far the least of our 4 strikers.
Right now we are as far away from being title contenders as we've been since the 80s and have much bigger issues than getting rid of Rashford....and none of the five players mentioned are better LWs than Marcus, or as good.

A new management with a better man management skills should get a chance to make this group of players pull in the same direction, work their socks off for eachother and become better proffesionals. Players with suboptimal habits and mindsets are not chronics and changing their mindsets is not as hard as you would think. You just need to address it and have the right focus on it. ETH has not found the formula and has the charisma of a brick , so it would be interesting to see a new manager have a go at it. Maybe hire some people designated to work with the mental aspect of the game and guide players who need it in the right direction, in stead of just trusting that the players either are good pros or not.
It's obvious that, right now, it's not a good environment in and around the manager and squad.

mu4c_20le

I don't think holding on to him would bring us closer to a PL win or a good performance in the CL. He feels so...Everton.
Weird because I felt the same way about Hojlund. He'd be a great fit as a target man for a Dyche side, would get more service too.

Rashford seems more of a Dembele type, a luxury player who will show flashes of brilliance when he's not the face of the club and heavily relied on week in week out.

troylocker

?? You really do not see the difference between 19 y old, 70k a week Garnacho and 26 y old, 375k a week Rashford?

Onana not having a good run? Maguire? Dalot? AWB? Mainoo? Hojlund breaking records? Bruno not being top class but within his measures, performing? Amad? Mount getting back and scoring?

But, again, you really don't think Garnacho's run the last 7 months completly stinks out whatever Rashford is serving? I'm kind of lost for words...
Why are you pointing the finger at Garnacho? I think every player in our squad has been performing at a level or more below their ceiling this season, and I'm blaiming ETH and his crew for it. We've had maybe two good team performances the last 12 months. Mainoo and Garnacho has been positive surprises and I look forward to see them in a team that is not as out of tune as the current one. Onana has been good.

I have different expectation to Rashford than I have to Garnacho, yes.
I expect Rashford to be more consistant, be a better rolemodel and give his all every time he's on the pitch, and I think he deserves critizism on all those points.
I always expected Garnacho to be inconsistant and it's natural for a teenager to make some bad decisions every now and then, but I certainly think he could have done better too. Both with and without the ball. He's workrate has been great though. Same with Hojlund.

Why are you pointing the finger at Garnacho? I think every player in our squad has been performing at a level or more below their ceiling this season, and I'm blaiming ETH and his crew for it. We've had maybe two good team performances the last 12 months. Mainoo and Garnacho has been positive surprises and I look forward to see them in a team that is not as out of tune as the current one. Onana has been good.

I have different expectation to Rashford than I have to Garnacho, yes.
I expect Rashford to be more consistant, be a better rolemodel and give his all every time he's on the pitch, and I think he deserves critizism on all those points.
I always expected Garnacho to be inconsistant and it's natural for a teenager to make some bad decisions every now and then, but I certainly think he could have done better too. Both with and without the ball. He's workrate has been great though. Same with Hojlund.
Maybe you didn't understand me. You said the players all downed tools long ago and it's all fault of management.

Garnacho is working his balls off, runs on everything, tracks back and generally looks much more 375k a week than Rashford. It seems you give Rashford a free pass for just milking huge amounts of FFP money out of our budget whilst not doing the work when, Garnacho, evidently, does.

On top of that, if we continue your line of thinking,players can down tools anytime they deem tactics not right. We get in an endless loop of hiring expensive managers, who fail after 18 months, then these guys know the drill, fill up their bank accounts and wait for victim manager number umpteenth to emerge. That has to be the wrong approach. Even if you're right that the players don't believe in the manager anymore, do you really want to use that argument even in the slightest to make a manager change? The players would constantly keep the club hostage to their moods.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I have been following Man United since the around 1980.
The big difference here is that mid 90s we were already a titlewinning team and had our best ever generation of youngsters coming through the ranks. We didn't have massive weaknesses in our squad like we do now. Then you can do sideways moves or recruit from your own ranks. The last season with Kanchelskis and Ince we would have won the league if we just beat West Ham on the final match day, or if Cantona hadn't done his kung fu back in January. We also had enough points that season to win us the league any other year in the 90s. Point is we already had by far the best squad in the country and the class of Scholes, Becks, Butt, Giggs and Keane was ready handle the midfield the next 10 years from there. We won the PL in Erics last season here and came second the season, remember. Then we came back and won the treble with Teddy in a backup role where he played by far the least of our 4 strikers.
Right now we are as far away from being title contenders as we've been since the 80s and have much bigger issues than getting rid of Rashford....and none of the five players mentioned are better LWs than Marcus, or as good.

A new management with a better man management skills should get a chance to make this group of players pull in the same direction, work their socks off for eachother and become better proffesionals. Players with suboptimal habits and mindsets are not chronics and changing their mindsets is not as hard as you would think. You just need to address it and have the right focus on it. ETH has not found the formula and has the charisma of a brick , so it would be interesting to see a new manager have a go at it. Maybe hire some people designated to work with the mental aspect of the game and guide players who need it in the right direction, in stead of just trusting that the players either are good pros or not.
It's obvious that, right now, it's not a good environment in and around the manager and squad.
That's not how things were perceived back then though. Many pundits spoke of us not winning the league, some even placing us 4th at the time which would be great if we did it now but was a travesty back in the time. Manchester United weren't even able to secure SAF's only target at the time ie Darren Anderton (thank god).

My points are simple

a- removing toxicity and complacency trumps on everything. We're better off with a lesser player that is 100% committed to the cause then someone whose is more talented but would switch on and switch off according whether he likes the manager or not

b- balance is everything. A well balanced team would probably win over an unbalanced one filled with stars and would definitely win over an unbalanced one filled with overrated players.

We can argue whether we have the former (I think we do) but we certainly can't argue on the latter. Our defense is a mismatch of two different styles (Maguire, AWB and Lindelof are suited for a deep line, Varane, Martinez, Malacia and Dalot for a high line while Shaw can play both but is always injured), Bar Mainoo our CM is an utter mess. Most of our flank men think that there are all Ronaldos. They are lazy, they put their own interest first and would only pass the ball under torture. Even in our prime we could only afford 1 Ronaldo and to support him properly we had to build a squad around him with players like Park and Rooney fecking their careers to support him. These wingers are nowhere near to that level. Up front we only have Hojlund.

I was very critical to the likes of McT and Maguire and I still want them out of the club. However the first player I would sell if I was INEOS would be Rashford (bar of course the likes of Sancho). God knows how much we need to make a statement that NO ONE, not even Rashford, is bigger then the club

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think he definitely could, but I don't see him doing it. He's lost whatever spark he had.
The only way I see it happening if it's a choice between that or the bench. You could see it last night in the Real Madrid players, the commitment they had for their shirt. I miss seeing that in our team when the going gets tough

Hughes35

Do you really think any of the 5 players you mentioned would be starting for City? Like I said, good players for sure, but not good enough to improve our starting eleven or elevate the team, never mind titlecontenders. Those are players you would buy as cover/rotation options for your starting eleven.

None of the players we have right now are performing to their own standards right now, and that's down to the management. Every player in our squad is playing at a level far below their actual quality or potential. I would let a new management assess our entire squad and have a go with them, before selling good players and replacing them with similar or worse quality players. New manager -> clean sheets

Rashford is definitely not our weakest link.
Actually yes. Especially Mitoma, I could easily see him at City.

troylocker

Maybe you didn't understand me. You said the players all downed tools long ago and it's all fault of management.

Garnacho is working his balls off, runs on everything, tracks back and generally looks much more 375k a week than Rashford. It seems you give Rashford a free pass for just milking huge amounts of FFP money out of our budget whilst not doing the work when, Garnacho, evidently, does.

On top of that, if we continue your line of thinking,players can down tools anytime they deem tactics not right. We get in an endless loop of hiring expensive managers, who fail after 18 months, then these guys know the drill, fill up their bank accounts and wait for victim manager number umpteenth to emerge. That has to be the wrong approach. Even if you're right that the players don't believe in the manager anymore, do you really want to use that argument even in the slightest to make a manager change? The players would constantly keep the club hostage to their moods.
I haven't said anyone has downed their tools either. I think most our players are doing the best they can. I'm blaiming the current management for not getting the most out of our players, for the regression of the entire squad, for not successfully implementing a system/philosophy, for not managing/coaching players optimally, for not successfully implementing a healthy culture in the squad etc... It's just a long series of chaos and bad team performances. It makes me wonder what we actually do in practice.
I also said Rashford deservedly has gotten critizism for not being consistant, for not being the rolemodel he should be and for sometimes looking a bit lazy and like it's all the same to him. I want to see what a management with better people and man management skills can do with the squad (also with Rashford and Sancho - who both have WC ceilings in my opinion), and I think we need to get rid of players that is obviously not good enough before removing them.

Doracle

I haven't said anyone has downed their tools either. I think most our players are doing the best they can. I'm blaiming the current management for not getting the most out of our players, for the regression of the entire squad, for not successfully implementing a system/philosophy, for not managing/coaching players optimally, for not successfully implementing a healthy culture in the squad etc... It's just a long series of chaos and bad team performances. It makes me wonder what we actually do in practice.
I also said Rashford deservedly has gotten critizism for not being consistant, for not being the rolemodel he should be and for sometimes looking a bit lazy and like it's all the same to him. I want to see what a management with better people and man management skills can do with the squad (also with Rashford and Sancho - who both have WC ceilings in my opinion), and I think we need to get rid of players that is obviously not good enough before removing them.
I’ve generally been really impressed with our players’ attitude this season.The tactics look hopelessly naive and yet they’ve kept plugging away and produced results like the 4-3 against Liverpool, or the 3-2 against Villa.

As for Rashford, he was dropped in November as he was out of sorts. Since he came back, I actually think the Rash-Hoj-Nacho frontline has looked pretty strong (given how bad the supply to them has been). He’s got his head down and played well. The problems recently have been more due to Højlund and Garnacho really struggling (understandably as they are still young players), rather than Rashford.

CasaStreets

As for Rashford, he was dropped in November as he was out of sorts. Since he came back, I actually think the Rash-Hoj-Nacho frontline has looked pretty strong (given how bad the supply to them has been). He’s got his head down and played well. The problems recently have been more due to Højlund and Garnacho really struggling (understandably as they are still young players), rather than Rashford.
I take issue with your framing here.

Make no mistake, in terms of progressive passes received, Rashford (8.0 per 90m) and Garnacho (9.5 per 90m) blow Hojlund’s service out of the water (5.4 per 90m). And that’s not even factoring for overall touches.

The reality is actually that Rashford and Garnacho are abysmal progressive passers (passers in general, really) and therefore can’t find Hojlund. When we talk about a lack of service to Hojlund let’s be super explicit - that is Rashford and Garnacho’s poor passing over anything else. As wingers’ progressive passing goes, Rashford is in the 33rd percentile, Garnacho is in the 10th percentile. When you consider both of our starting wingers are that poor, Hojlund’s conundrum makes a great deal more sense.

These are pure head-down speed merchant players. The two major differences are that Garnacho tracks back more actively and is younger so will likely develop further.

At 26, this is Rashford in his final form. He’s not consistently good enough to help take us back to the top. He’s pure profit and worth a considerable amount. We must improve our progressive passing as a unit and the flanks are our biggest opportunity to do that.

While I doubt it will happen this summer, I personally think it’s time to say thank you for the memories and move forward.

Chairman Steve

:lol: this is the problem with this team.
We did it with Martial and Pogba under Jose and Rashford under Rangnick

This needs to be a high performance environment, if you have not performed in 2 years get out of the club. Sancho has been here under 2 managers + 1 interim across 3 years and has not delivered.
Luckily there was a press release back in January or maybe February saying Berrada works on this principle, and is a sound ethos for any football club.

The whole ‘let’s see these players under a new manager’ defence some people still have is wearing thin, which has started ever since Jose left. Face it, some of these players suck or worse don’t give a feck... they perform well initially then once comfy with the new manager or get a new contract they revert to type.

I hate the mental gymnastics surrounding players like Rashford where everything around him has to be simultaneously specific and even perfect in order for him to perform well, like he’s with his girlfriend, he’s 100% injury free, a specific set of players have to be around him playing a certain way, the wind is blowing north that day, the FTSE 100 is up etc.

FootballAI

Selling Rashford is critical this summer.

1. The money for a rebuild / FFP. Being homegrown, £80Million added to the books would go a long long way.
2. Make a statement that we don't accept lazy players at the club anymore.
3. He's been awful and we can massively upgrade so we play better football.

Really really hope PSG need a new poster boy.
This is not a legit argument, nobody will pay 80mp for him, that is the whole point. End of last season, maybe, but too late now nobody will pay us that much while paying him that salary based on current form. In this situation, hate the player but don't hate the game.

I seriously don't see why would we sell him this season, it's not like we have so many good wing forward option atm. Ganarcho is still inconsistent as expected of a youngster. Antony is only descent on his best day. Amad is only good as a squad player and nothing more.

QuietOn Fortune

I take issue with your framing here.

Make no mistake, in terms of progressive passes received, Rashford (8.0 per 90m) and Garnacho (9.5 per 90m) blow Hojlund’s service out of the water (5.4 per 90m). And that’s not even factoring for overall touches.

The reality is actually that Rashford and Garnacho are abysmal progressive passers (passers in general, really) and therefore can’t find Hojlund. When we talk about a lack of service to Hojlund let’s be super explicit - that is Rashford and Garnacho’s poor passing over anything else. As wingers’ progressive passing goes, Rashford is in the 33rd percentile, Garnacho is in the 10th percentile. When you consider both of our starting wingers are that poor, Hojlund’s conundrum makes a great deal more sense.

These are pure head-down speed merchant players. The two major differences are that Garnacho tracks back more actively and is younger so will likely develop further.

At 26, this is Rashford in his final form. He’s not consistently good enough to help take us back to the top. He’s pure profit and worth a considerable amount. We must improve our progressive passing as a unit and the flanks are our biggest opportunity to do that.

While I doubt it will happen this summer, I personally think it’s time to say thank you for the memories and move forward.
Likewise Hojlund is not good enough to find Rashford or Garnacho.

Rashford did best with Martial up front because Martial can drop deep, hold on to the ball and play Raahford & Greenwood in to score goals.

Hojlund is a pure poacher & we shouldn't change the whole team dynamic to just get the best out of Hojlund when there is more important players like Garnacho we should try get the best out of.

We need to find a striker like Martial who can play forwards in.

The only one i know is Zirkzee who doesnt have the most amazing stats for a CF.

Maybe Toney is good at it too.

Hughes35

This is not a legit argument, nobody will pay 80mp for him, that is the whole point. End of last season, maybe, but too late now nobody will pay us that much while paying him that salary based on current form. In this situation, hate the player but don't hate the game.

I seriously don't see why would we sell him this season, it's not like we have so many good wing forward option atm. Ganarcho is still inconsistent as expected of a youngster. Antony is only descent on his best day. Amad is only good as a squad player and nothing more.
I agree he's not worth 80M but I think there is a slim chance we can still get close to that. For some reason Rashford is still rated highly but a lot of people.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Do you ever envision Rashford doing what Rodryo and/or Vini did in defensive work last night ?
No. I even thought in the Bournemouth game - look at how Solanke tracked his men back to the edge of his box on a few occasions. It's just not part of his game and whoever wants him in their side has to accept that.

FootballAI

I agree he's not worth 80M but I think there is a slim chance we can still get close to that. For some reason Rashford is still rated highly but a lot of people.
The thing we all heard was that PSG always wanted Rashford, that is the only club that we heard in the past 2 years or so.

But in a recent report 2-3 weeks ago, PSG informed that they have no interest whatsoever about Rashford, esp. when looking at his form at United. Understanding French is not my strong suit, but that sounds like a clear no, never ever ever, to me. That would make a lot of sense since they already got rid of Neymar, Messi and Mbappe who are somewhat troublemakers in one way or another, why would they want another one of the same sort to come in?

To avoid this kind of issue where we have to stuck with a certain player with attitude in the future, we need to make a strong policy that outragious salary demand, in respect to performance, should not be tolerated and anyone who do that in the future should be kicked out of the club disgracefully.

RedDevil@84

For some reason Rashford is still rated highly but a lot of people.
It is just a British media rumour and typical "Let us use United for clicks" in media. If we put a decent price, everyone will just run away. If we put a low price, we may have some teams who would be ok to take a cheap punt and see what happens.

Teja

Do you ever envision Rashford doing what Rodryo and/or Vini did in defensive work last night ?
Nope - I think more than desire I think it's because he has permanently fecked up his back / hip. You see him going into a challenge and every time he clutches that lower back / hip area when he gets up.

Telsim

World class player. 100 million would be way too low. PSG better get that 150 million ready. Then I might consider it. 200 million even. Pound sterling.

Atheist

A total embarrassment and disgrace on the pitch. Ten Hag must have a real hard on for him to not sub him after a performance like that and only did it because of his injury.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Useless player. Hopefully PSG are dumb enough to sign him.

3 hundred seventy five thousand pounds. per week! Why not step up in the penalty shoot out? I don care if he scores 15 goals the next 5 games, Rashford needs to go. What a unbelievbale waste of money.

Sara125

Offers absolutely nothing. Can’t wait to see the back of him if ETH or any future managers have a spine.