View full 2023-24 profile

4.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

David De Gea

The annoying thing last night was that Chelsea, and in particular their keeper, were absolutely crumbling under the pressure last night. Someone with Rashfords speed, coming on against tired legs he really could have put a shift in to show he can do it. Instead he was still strolling round like a petulant, sulking little kid.

I've never been anti-Rashford, even this season i hoped he'd get out of the poor form and start contributing again. That performance last night though was almost the most damning thing for me, when the chips were down and the tide really going against him he chose to retreat rather than attack and show his worth. Give him an extended period out of the starting line up please.

Strelok

I can't relate to the mindset of multi millionaire footballers who (in Rashford's case) have had PR teams around them since before they were an adult probably telling them they never do anything wrong.

I do know that when my job is really shite I get demotivated and work far less hard, even though I technically will be trying and putting the same level of mental capacity into it, if not more. Maybe that's the cycle he's got himself into.

It could also be down to instructions he's been given positionally and just being that devoid of confidence he doesn't want to run around and then get scalded or make an error due to ending up in the wrong place. I doubt at Hackney Marshes you get someone waving tactical sheets in your face about where to correctly stand on the pitch in 100 different scenarios, before you come on as an 80th minute sub against Lea Valley Road Rovers over 40s b side. Also unlikely 70,000 people are going to turn up and yell at you if you run after a ball and get beaten to it and then the other team score 2 minutes later.

I don't know I'm just speculating. I don't think there's any real reason to think he's come on and actively made a point of not trying. He might have, but there's not much to assume that on. I do think there's a dose of arrogance/delusion to it and I'm with you that it's just quite odd to be dropped for a lack of effort and then not come on and make sure no one can accuse you of it again.
I was a big fan but tbh I don't care whatever the feck is wrong with his head but please bench him until he fixes it and start running like the rest. If he can't sell him.

Stig

Don't know what's going on with him but his laziness is inexcusable.

10 minutes tonight and he barely broke into a jog.
You've been dropped for being lazy, you've got 10 minutes

Run as far and as hard as you can for those 10 minutes, would be my plan.

Rashford just lolled around. Awful level of no effort . He just doesn't seem to want to play .

joedirt87

barely moved in his 10 minute cameo, keep him on the bench until he wants to try again.

VanTastic_

Is there a Rashford lowlight compilation vs Chelsea ? I was so convinced that we were gonna concede a late equalizer that his "performance" flew completely under my radar.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I was a big fan but tbh I don't care whatever the feck is wrong with his head but please bench him until he fixes it and start running like the rest. If he can't sell him.
I honestly think mindset seems to be a big problem with some players these days, and seemingly even more at United.

Some of the increased attention to mental health these days feels like such a double edged sword. It's good there is more recognition of the issue, but especially in sports and especially in sports that have a shit ton of side activities from a commercial pov and the ever increasing load of games it must be hard to ever really get back in the proper state of mind.

I could be way off and that there is no mental health issue with Marcus but his body language seems to suggest there is. The additional problem seems to be that when you have lads like Martial, Sancho or also Marcus sulking on the pitch it runs the risk of bringing the rest of the team with it. You want to give them time and attention, but the world allows for little patience - especially now.

Leonzo1

i actually wonder if he is physically ok. he looks as if he was protecting his body, maybe the back injury he had left some toll .
Apparently There is no limit for the amount of excuses being made for his pathetic performances. Would be the first one out the door if it was up to me. That kind of non existent effort has no place in this team no matter what happens in his personal life or physical condition. I'm sure that if there was really a problem the medical team and the manager wouldn't have played him. This is all about his attitude and mentality. Or lack of to be precise.

MadMike

I personally don't really care if his problem is motivation, fitness, mental or whatever. While he's playing like this, with no effort and no output, he is a 0/10 player.

Keep him on the bench unless he starts showing signs of getting it back together.

GreatDane

People are making all kind of excuses for him - he's suffering from depression, he's hurt, his girlfriend left ect ect.

Maybe he just doesn't give a shit and feels too important to give it his best.

kaku06

Vulgarian
People being drama queens as usual. Good player going through a rough patch. Nothing to more to it. He’ll come good again. Needs a spell on the bench that’s all. Competition for places is good. You want lots of viable options so your aren’t reliant on one player. His failure to fire this season has exposed what we all knew, that we were over reliant on his goals last season. A great opportunity for others to step up.
Nonsense. Two years ago people were saying he was shit and should be sold, as he played through a back injury. Next season he scored 30 goals, fired us to our first trophy in 6 years, and was easily our player of the season. A bad start to the season later and people are back on the “he’s shit should be sold” bus. The only cycle here is the cycle of fickle stupidity from fans.
Head. Sand. Burried.

Alemar

Keep him on the bench unless he starts showing signs of getting it back together.
Now, that Amad is back to full training, perhaps Marcus’ position on the bench is more under threat. Amad will definitely be willing to work hard, as is Pellistri

stevoc

He shouldn’t be playing LW or RW because he doesn’t track back.
I suspect at times like last season when he's in form. He's instructed not to track back as he's our outlet on the counter attack.

RedUnited86

feck him off and move him on. He's even more miserable on the pitch than Martial. He's a disgrace.

MadMike

Now, that Amad is back to full training, perhaps Marcus’ position on the bench is more under threat. Amad will definitely be willing to work hard, as is Pellistri
The problem is the LW position. Garnacho is doing well at the moment but he's still raw and he's goes through peaks and troughs.
With Sancho out of contention, either Rashford gets more games at LW or a 19yo plays every minute from now till the end of the season.
He'll get both starts and cameos, but I hope that for now he sits mostly on the bench.

clarkydaz

Nonsense. Two years ago people were saying he was shit and should be sold, as he played through a back injury. Next season he scored 30 goals, fired us to our first trophy in 6 years, and was easily our player of the season. A bad start to the season later and people are back on the “he’s shit should be sold” bus. The only cycle here is the cycle of fickle stupidity from fans.
Nope, Rangnik said he was free from injury at that point. He might have looked injured to you strolling around Etihad in a sulk

tomaldinho1

Don't get why anyone would bash him after yesterday - he doesn't really play CF any more and you could see him looking at other players for direction a few times. I fell like ETH brought him on just to show he is still part of the team etc.

I hope he just knuckles down in training and we stop seeing Rashford stories for a while, no reason he can't get back to form if the attitude is right even if I think he's lost yard of pace.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't get why anyone would bash him after yesterday - he doesn't really play CF any more and you could see him looking at other players for direction a few times. I fell like ETH brought him on just to show he is still part of the team etc.

I hope he just knuckles down in training and we stop seeing Rashford stories for a while, no reason he can't get back to form if the attitude is right even if I think he's lost yard of pace.
I read the same thing about Martial all the time. How unlucky do we have to be for our two most prolific strikers to both mysteriously lose a yard of pace as they hit their physical peak? How does that even happen?

Teja

My guess is he's trying to pull a Sancho and is waiting for the manager to get sacked before he gave a shit again.

Teja

He was on for 10 minutes mate, the least he could've done is to defend with a bit of intensity. No one was asking him to show off a good CF display when we were defending a 2-1 lead.

Somewhere around 83-85 mins in, Garnacho was busting a gut trying to press, the ball goes inwards to the guy Marcus is supposed to be defending and he's just non chalantly attempting to close down.

Same between 85-90 when Bruno from #10 went to press the GK with Marcus just aimlessly walking between the CBs.

tomaldinho1

I read the same thing about Martial all the time. How unlucky do we have to be for our two most prolific strikers to both mysteriously lose a yard of pace as they hit their physical peak? How does that even happen?
Both played a huge amount of football since a young age, both quite reliant on their acceleration/pace - Rashford moreso - both had a number of injuries, both now getting to the age where they would start to peak or even decline. You can still both have gas when they sprint but neither looks anywhere near as rapid as they were a few years ago.

He was on for 10 minutes mate, the least he could've done is to defend with a bit of intensity. No one was asking him to show off a good CF display when we were defending a 2-1 lead.

Somewhere around 83-85 mins in, Garnacho was busting a gut trying to press, the ball goes inwards to the guy Marcus is supposed to be defending and he's just non chalantly attempting to close down.

Same between 85-90 when Bruno from #10 went to press the GK with Marcus just aimlessly walking between the CBs.
It's just not his game though - I get if he were on a flank he should know 100% which man to press/track but as a CF he looked really lost, didn't know who to press or where to go. I get he could have sprinted a bit more to 'show' the effort but it was a short cameo devoid of much going on to be honest.

Teja

It's just not his game though - I get if he were on a flank he should know 100% which man to press/track but as a CF he looked really lost, didn't know who to press or where to go. I get he could have sprinted a bit more to 'show' the effort but it was a short cameo devoid of much going on to be honest.
Come on, I don't even play football and I could've known where to go. It's just basic movements, no fancy pressing triggers or anything. He's basically at Ronaldo level defensive workrate right now.

The thing that's weird to me is that he puts in work rate on attack - makes good runs constantly even if he's not being found by anyone. I used to think the lack of defensive workrate was tactical - we get more by having him stay upfront than trying to track the oppo fullback but now I'm more and more convinced he just doesn't give a shit defensively.

Our pressing scheme requires the winger to juggle between pressing the CB and sprinting back to track the fullback if the press attempt was unsuccessful (or rather, the pass from oppo CB -> FB is successful). He's absolute dogshit at doing that.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Both played a huge amount of football since a young age, both quite reliant on their acceleration/pace - Rashford moreso - both had a number of injuries, both now getting to the age where they would start to peak or even decline. You can still both have gas when they sprint but neither looks anywhere near as rapid as they were a few years ag
That would be very unusual though. You certainly never heard about top strikers at any of our rivals hitting a decline so young. Apart from perennial hamstring casualties like Torres or Owen. The only really significant injury for Rashford was the fracture in his back. He hasn’t had a pattern of recurring muscle injuries. Martial’s a bit different, I suppose. He’s been very injury prone. But it definitely feels like lightning striking twice if they both age prematurely at the same time.

tomaldinho1

Come on, I don't even play football and I could've known where to go. It's just basic movements, no fancy pressing triggers or anything. He's basically at Ronaldo level defensive workrate right now.

The thing that's weird to me is that he puts in work rate on attack - makes good runs constantly even if he's not being found by anyone. I used to think the lack of defensive workrate was tactical - we get more by having him stay upfront than trying to track the oppo fullback but now I'm more and more convinced he just doesn't give a shit defensively.

Our pressing scheme requires the winger to juggle between pressing the CB and sprinting back to track the fullback if the press attempt was unsuccessful (or rather, the pass from oppo CB -> FB is successful). He's absolute dogshit at doing that.
That's what it looked like to me, a player short of confidence and unsure where to go a number of times, it's much easier for us to say 'I would have known' when we're watching from on high.

You'll find no complaints from me about how bad h's been defensively when LW or RW and why Antony is so good in that aspect - something as simple coming in when the ball is with the LB to pressure the closest CB, then having to sprint back out to the wing if the ball then comes back and is lifted out to the RB, that's the off the ball running which should be an absolute minimum for our team.

Jeffthered

It's up to him. We (Man Utd) haven't the best squad, and I do question ETH on many things. but you have to dig in and give 100%. That's this season and he can either support that or sit on the bench. What a way to respond to a new contract. He is the highest earner in the squad and if he is feeling fed up, I can imagine some players just telling him to get on with it.

Rashford is not critical to the future of Man Utd or any club. He needs to focus (because he seems to have lost his focus, similar to when he was doing all those other off-field activities..) and remember what his job is.

C'est Moi Cantona

I have been here before with Rashford, in that I can't remember what he is actually good at, the last time I posted this it wasn't long before he went on a scoring spree, and it needs to happen again or I don't see a way back for him.

It seems a bit mad to say, but his goals have masked how average everything else is about his game.

United888

I suspect at times like last season when he's in form. He's instructed not to track back as he's our outlet on the counter attack.
If Rashford is only good in counter attack then we need to sell Rashford and use the money to buy players that can play in possession based team.

tomaldinho1

That would be very unusual though. You certainly never heard about top strikers at any of our rivals hitting a decline so young. Apart from perennial hamstring casualties like Torres or Owen. The only really significant injury for Rashford was the fracture in his back. He hasn’t had a pattern of recurring muscle injuries. Martial’s a bit different, I suppose. He’s been very injury prone. But it definitely feels like lightning striking twice if they both age prematurely at the same time.
Martial falls into the hamstring injury as well I would say - feel like he does that every year or two. Body type wise he's not the leanest player, carries a fair bit of muscle weight as well - he reminds me a bit of Sturridge, both highly skillful, could run at players, had that jinking dribbling style where they'd cut onto their favoured foot like Robben, good finishers, great burst of pace but a body that continually just has problems and leaves them constantly trying to regain fitness.

Rashford I look at and he looks so different to the lean, lightweight Rashford from a couple of seasons ago but the only thing I can think of which is armchair guesswork, is he's had to build out his shoulders for the long term injury he had which has added a bit of weight/probably impacted his running style a bit. Otherwise a complete mystery but he's 100% slower to my eye this season.

The_Midfielder

He needs to start working hard for the team to earn his place back ..
Would love him to be back in form

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The annoying thing last night was that Chelsea, and in particular their keeper, were absolutely crumbling under the pressure last night. Someone with Rashfords speed, coming on against tired legs he really could have put a shift in to show he can do it. Instead he was still strolling round like a petulant, sulking little kid.

I've never been anti-Rashford, even this season i hoped he'd get out of the poor form and start contributing again. That performance last night though was almost the most damning thing for me, when the chips were down and the tide really going against him he chose to retreat rather than attack and show his worth. Give him an extended period out of the starting line up please.
Agreed, he needs a few matches on the bench, with perhaps 10 or 15 minutes on the pitch just to see if he actually works hard looking to reclaim a start.
I'm not sure what his problem is, but he's a shadow of the player he has shown over the last few seasons.

Irwin99

I wouldn’t write him off physically yet but it is interesting. Sir Alex was always a huge fan of Michael Owen and maintained that Liverpool ruined him by overplaying him. We had that season where we just managed to scrape third place with Martial, Greenwood and Rashford as our main strikers and we asked a lot out of them that year (same year Rashford had his ridiculous back injury). Too much too soon?

I’m guessing but I still think the problem is mental and he’s clearly had massive periods of bad form. People talk about his goal tally in 20-21 but his performances were abysmal at times that year; he had a poor season the following year managing just 5 goals, had the best season of his career last year with 30 goals that dragged us to third place and has been crap again this year. I think we’re just seeing a naturally very inconsistent and moody player.

drodhay354

For me rashford has been poor ever since his shoulder injury under ole. Ever since then, he has not been really playing well and contributing to overall team play (wether it is defending, pressing or unselfish plays). Sure he had his highs during the high scoring seasons and he did score a lot of goal and having a couple of assists, but hat was basically a Ronaldo type involvement. While he was scoring goals, everything was good, but take away the goals and you see all the deficiencies. After his shoulder injury he has always been like that, apart from maybe a little number of matches where he was really good. Pre-shoulder injury rashford was more of a beast, he might not have been scoring that much at the time, but his overall play was really good! He was a danger throughout a match contributing to everything. The thing is at that time he was still an up and coming player, he still had to prove his worth! He gives me the impression now that he thinks too much of what he currently is and is not improving that much.
I believe there is still a potential world class player there, but unless he changes his mentality and come back to earth its going to be difficult. I would like to be wrong, i believe he wont ever reach the heights he can at man utd. Hopefully i am wrong but this has been oing on for a long time now. Maybe if moves to another team where he no longer have that sense of entitlement he garners at old trafford and is no longer the poster boy where he should be proving himself (just like when he just arrived on stage in 2015-2020 and as garnacho is currently oing now) he might make that step up. Unfortunately, its hard for me to see him realise his potential at man utd, maybe its time to sell him for the teams and his own good.

Banana Republic

People still forgetting that his goal spree last season, was mostly confined to 3 month period around and after the World Cup.
After the League Cup final at the end of February, he turned to dogshit for the last 3 months of the season.
Even in that scoring few months, he was shockingly bad at times, but the goals redeemed him.

I'm convinced that if he manages to get his shit together and rediscovers some good form, it'll only last for so long, before he slumps back again.
He's done that for about 4 seasons now.
It's just wishful thinking that he could become a consistent asset to the team.
We can't build a successful squad with players like that.

RedOrange

I don't mean to single you out, but I really don't get the constant excuse making for Rashford.

Last edited:

flappyjay

I know we shouldn't be making excuses for him but he has been coached horribly for most of his senior career. I think he was a better footballer as an 18 year old than he is today. Obviously the poor work rate is on him.I often wonder how he and Martial turn out if lvg had stayed longer.