Marcus Rashford new contract thread | It's officially signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Whether it's gross, whether it's loaded with bonuses...theres only one thing I can take from the Rashford scenario.

We can ill-afford to lose him now, or for nothing. The FFP situation is pretty poor, not to mention on the pitch we lose a potential 40 goal contribution player. We're already severely lacking goals, and those waiting in the wings fill absolutely no one with confidence.

He and his agent(s) can have United by the bollocks if they really want to, but it highlights poor strategic management of the football operation yet again.

Happy he stays either way.

Andersons Dietician

Is Ed Woodward back? 375k when we are talking about bringing wages back in line and currently trying to get a very high earner to take a paycut.
Hes never shown a level of consistent greatness to deserve such a price. At least arguably you could say DeGea was at one point the best in the world.

Biggins

The problem with £375k for Rashford is now he's the reference point.

DDG's contract was so ridiculous that no player reached that amount or more because it was seen as a one-off crazy deal.

My issue with Rashford's contract isn't actually the money but his ability. KDB is on £400k and Haaland on £375k (apparently). This is fine for City because the number of players better than these two in world football is no more than two if that, so you can be assured City won't go beyond this.

In Rashford's case, he isn't good enough to lead us to the trophies we want. Even if we improve the squad, a team with Rashford as it's best player won't be winning the PL or CL. So now players we bring in who are better or potentially better will look at his wage and their starting point.
Yes, of course KDB and Haaland are on 400k and 375k respectively <wink wink>

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Is Ed Woodward back? 375k when we are talking about bringing wages back in line and currently trying to get a very high earner to take a paycut.
Hes never shown a level of consistent greatness to deserve such a price. At least arguably you could say DeGea was at one point the best in the world.
De Gea was already on the decline by 2019 when we gave him a new contract. Rashford has just come off the back of a 41 G/A season. In 2020/21 he had a 36 G/A season. The season before that he had a 34 G/A season. What more consistency do you want? Peak Messi numbers?

RuudTom83

How many times do you need to read utter rubbish before you begin to realise that the media know no more than the average fan on the cafe.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Feels like thoes numbers must be from the Rashford camp. We really have to start enforcing our wage cap, whatever that is, and work towards getting players back down to it (looking at you Jadon Sancho).

Rashford is a United lad, has and will continue to make more money than any of us can dream about playing for this club and has managed 30 goals in a season exactly once. In no world should he be on par with Kane, Salah, Haaland and so forth.

Would other clubs offer him 375k? I don't really think so, outside of PSG, and I don't believe he'd go there.

From all we've seen of Marcus, anyone feel more than 50/50 that he'll get 30 goals again next season? Given injuiries, form and so forth? Because that's the kind of wages we're talking about here.

It kind of grates that as a club we couldn't say something like: look, we need to get wages under control so we can continue to bring players in and move us forward. That figure is, say, 250k a week. That's an obscene amount of money. If his agents, or even Marcus himself refuses to sign up to this club under thoes terms than fine, let's see who will offer it, and if he'd really be happier there.

-Supreme-

Bruno only renewed his contract last year on £240k a week, what has he achieved to earn £120k more than the team’s captain?

telstar96

I really like Rashford.

But it's just a lie that Rashford is consistent. He has had massive dips in form for every 8 seasons of his career. And I promise you, he will have long stretches of bad form next season, and every season after that. He is just that type of player who gets stuck in long ruts, goes missing entirely, becomes negative and just poor. Then he comes back for a while, before he disappears again. On and off, hot and cold. That's his career in a summary.

Right now, his pace is a great asset that we can use all the time. But when we start playing possession based football, and less counterattacking, he will not fit our style at all.

Did you know that we score just as many goals on average every time Rashford doesn't play? There are other ways to judge players than how many goals they score. Like for instance, how they make us more dominant in matches:
How they defend and track back.
How they don't give away possession constantly.
How they pass to players in a better position instead of being selfish.
How they actually go in for duels in both the air and on ground.

Perfect example of a better player on lower wages: Jack Grealish. He is nowhere near Rashford's "numbers", but he is a much better and complete player than Rashford ever will be.

I'd happily keep him on 150-200k a week. Anything more is just senseless. The fact that he will earn more than Salah, Kane and just as much as Haaland is nothing more than a joke.

He will still be very useful when have to play on the counter, which is likely to be a lot less when Ten Hag finally can implement his style of play.

Now, flame me all you want. It just shows your anger because you know there is some truth in there that you can't stand to process.
I'm with you. Rashford has brought me a lot of joy but I'd be denial if I ever thought he was an elite player. People get caught up in his goals and assists but considering he offers very little outside of that, we should really be holding him to the same standards as Mbappe and Salah who profile similar but are miles better. The truth is there are other wingers who offer a similar threat in front of goal but offer much more to their game than Rashford. Saka, Martinelli for example, offer a lot in possession, without the ball and defensively. Rashford has to be carried defensively, is not technically refined yet and has questionable decision making. But sadly these nuances will be swatted away as 'hate' and 'moaning'. A lot of the cafe has a zero tolerance policy against Rashford skepticism.

Posh Red

How many times do you need to read utter rubbish before you begin to realise that the media know no more than the average fan on the cafe.
That’s not relevant I feel. There seems to be a lot of posters that can’t wait to get angry about anything relating to Marcus Rashford.

finneh

Surely it can’t be £375k? That’s the type of money someone like Salah who puts up numbers season after season should be on. Until he shows he can do it consistently I don’t know why we’d offer that much.
It's because the club relentlessly allows players to reach the last year of their contract in order to save a few million.

It's incredibly shortsighted though given the several £m "saved" is offset by multiple times that in the cost of the new contract (e.g. £275k 2 years ago on a 6 year contract would have cost £7.5m more over the last 2 years, but would save £20m over the next 4). That's before considering the inevitable cost of wage inflation as a result.

It also means it's rare we receive a great fee for a player if we decide to sell. It's a lose-lose as if Rashford had another poor year we'd be unlikely to shift him for a decent fee; conversely even after a great year he holds all the cards as he can sign an agreement with another team in 6 months.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
First off, I'm going to get the obvious out of the way and say that nobody deserves to make that much...and with that being said...

For me, players like Rashford and Bruno deserve to be the highest paid players on our team. The question is, how much should that equate to? Salah makes 350k per week but he's been putting up incredible numbers for quite a while. This is Rashford's first year of "world class" numbers. But I get why Rashford is looking to get this kind of raise. All he has to do is look at what other players in the squad are making. Sancho is on 350k. Varane is 340k. Cassemiro 300k. De Gea 375k. So it makes sense that's what he's going to make. The board are a bunch of idiots. Pay Rashford, but my god, stop handing out 350k contracts to players like Sancho. Rashford has earned his raise. Make everyone else earn it too...

-Supreme-

Not necessarily defending this wage offer but...

Bruno 29 G/A 2022/23
Rashford 41 G/A 2022/23
If only we could quantify someone’s performance without G/A and funnily enough Bruno’s numbers are actually as impressive if not more considering he’s had to help out the midfield a lot more last season.

SER19

If those numbers are true Id genuinely sell him. Even if it means a reduced fee, I'd sooner take 60mm for Rashford to put towards a proper number nine and go with garnacho and sancho as options from the left (their best positions) than pay rashford this so he can play on the left with some third choice number 9.

I don't understand how people think he has SUCH leverage, we have good options on the left and desperately need an out and out goalscorer.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
First off, I'm going to get the obvious out of the way and say that nobody deserves to make that much...and with that being said...

For me, players like Rashford and Bruno deserve to be the highest paid players on our team. The question is, how much should that equate to? Salah makes 350k per week but he's been putting up incredible numbers for quite a while. This is Rashford's first year of "world class" numbers. But I get why Rashford is looking to get this kind of raise. All he has to do is look at what other players in the squad are making. Sancho is on 350k. Varane is 340k. Cassemiro 300k. De Gea 375k. So it makes sense that's what he's going to make. The board are a bunch of idiots. Pay Rashford, but my god, stop handing out 350k contracts to players like Sancho. Rashford has earned his raise. Make everyone else earn it too...
Sancho is on 350k a week…

Utd are paying Sancho more than Kane or Salah earn!?

FFS sell him and sack the cnut that gave him that contract, then sack the cnut that hired the cnut that gave him that contract!

That’s insane.

Sell Sancho, offer DDG a sensible new contract for his level in the PL likewise with Rashford.

No, we’re not paying you more than Kane or Salah, don’t like it, feck off.

ifightdragons

Is that true? Would love to see the stats if you have them? Even so would be a small sample size because Rashford seems to play every game while are other options are on a sabbatical or eternally injured.

As for Grealish he might be on a lower wage (honestly who knows with them lot) he also went for 100m.
It's true. I added up all our games since he debuted and averaged them. Then I did the same for the games he has missed.

The results were really close, hovering below 2 goals on average per game. Granted, he plays a lot, so the sample size could be bigger, like you said.

What so many Rashford fans don't understand, is that certain players who score a lot, can also play in a way that impedes on the rest of the team playing style, and essentially take away goal scoring opportunities for other players.

There are many examples of this happening in teams... But the best is probably Ronaldo in 21/22. He was a very good goal scorer for us, but he effectively didn't improve us. Rashford is the same.

He IS quick, and he will net you some goals. But how often haven't you heard fans say, or even thought yourself, that: "Rashford did score today, but he did not play very well". That's been almost every game this season. Take away the goals, and his match ratings would be a 5+ (out of 10) on average. That's not an exaggeration either.

That's actually most of his games. He rarely has an overall good game. And it's statistically proven that his goals aren't improving us.

Lazy fans will say that "We would be nowhere without Rashford this season. He scores all our goals."

Yeah, he does. Take him out of the team, and do you think we'll play worse or score less? Then they're just wrong, or lying. We end up being more dynamic, and score just as many goals.

This player is who we're going to make the biggest earner in the entire country, and break our entire wage structure for.

I"m sorry to all the deluded Rashford fans, but that's pure insanity.

The sober, nuanced reality is that Rashford is an incredibly inconsistent, yet a good, not fantastic, attacker with great pace. He is nowhere near world class, no matter if he got 30 goals this season. If that's only criteria for judging a player, then DDG must also be world class, because he won the golden glove.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

If those numbers are true Id genuinely sell him. Even if it means a reduced fee, I'd sooner take 60mm for Rashford to put towards a proper number nine and go with garnacho and sancho as options from the left (their best positions) than pay rashford this so he can play on the left with some third choice number 9.

I don't understand how people think he has SUCH leverage, we have good options on the left and desperately need an out and out goalscorer.
What number 9? Kane isn't available for under 100m. Osimhen would cost upwards of 120m+. Why would we make moves that are lateral moves for the team? They don't move the needle.

And no Garnacho and Sancho aren't comparable to Rashford.

Garnacho while promising is still potential and he could easily flame out. Plenty of youngsters have promising 1st seasons and then just never live up to the potential. Garnacho isn't some certainty. We had a player more talented than him and he flamed out in a different way.

Rashford is miles better than Sancho and has been for years. People are still holding out hope for Sancho?

Rashford is our best option on the left and an out and out goal scorer. He just scored 30 goals in a season which our attack was misfiring for certain parts of the campaign and we had no number 9 for him to play off on. We had dross like Ronaldo and Weghorst up top and he was still producing a rate far better than our other attackers.

Nori-

Insane wages but that's what you get when you let one of your best players run their contract down to the last year.

If they didn't make this offer now, he'd be walking away on a free transfer next summer with wages of £500k+ a week at another club.

You see huge potential in a player? You tie them down early, like they did with Garnacho.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is nowhere near world class, no matter if he got 30 goals this season. If that's only criteria for judging a player, then DDG must also be world class, because he won the golden glove.
What a flawed comparison. Someone who scores 30 goals actually has to score.

A GK can win the golden glove on the back of making zero saves theoretically.

Rhyme Animal

Insane wages but that's what you get when you let one of your best players run their contract down to the last year.

If they didn't make this offer now, he'd be walking away on a free transfer next summer with wages of £500k+ a week at another club.

You see huge potential in a player? You tie them down early, like they did with Garnacho.
Who’s gonna pay Rashford 500k a week…? Genuine question.

ifightdragons

I'm with you. Rashford has brought me a lot of joy but I'd be denial if I ever thought he was an elite player. People get caught up in his goals and assists but considering he offers very little outside of that, we should really be holding him to the same standards as Mbappe and Salah who profile similar but are miles better. The truth is there are other wingers who offer a similar threat in front of goal but offer much more to their game than Rashford. Saka, Martinelli for example, offer a lot in possession, without the ball and defensively. Rashford has to be carried defensively, is not technically refined yet and has questionable decision making. But sadly these nuances will be swatted away as 'hate' and 'moaning'. A lot of the cafe has a zero tolerance policy against Rashford skepticism.
This is such a well written and objectively nuanced post, that 90% of the caf will likely just "hate" it.

Eddy_JukeZ

PSG have admired him for a long time. They just lost Messi. They might lose Neymar. They're making wholesale changes to the squad and getting younger.

They'd likely match our current wage offer(if it's true) or even offer more.

Thiagoal

Rashford is our star player- the player that young fans look up to and want to be like. He brings in millions of pounds to the club through various endorsements- he’s also one hell of a player in the prime of his career! Yes he will be paid an obscene amount but we are happy to pay it because we believe he’s worth it financially and on the pitch!

Nori-

On a free transfer that wouldn't be much to be honest. Whoever takes him would be saving a fortune in transfers fees.

For example, 500k a week x 52 weeks = £26m a year in wages.

Say you put him on a 5 year contract, you sell him on year 3 for what you've paid him in wages to that point (£26m x 3 = £78m). You've essentially got him for free for 3 years, could even make a profit.

Even if the new club decided to keep him, there's a few who could afford it - PSG & Madrid are the obvious ones. Even Juve or Bayern would love a deal like that.

Eddy_JukeZ

22/23 - 30 goals, 11 assists = 41 goal involvements
21/22 - 5 goals, 2 assists = 7 goal involvements
20/21 - 21 goals, 15 assists = 36 goal involvements
19/20 - 22 goals, 12 assists = 34 goal involvements

Why do people keep peddling the idea that this was the 1st season he produced at a good rate? The anomaly was his performances in the 21-22 season(likely caused by his back issues).

We should have tied him down to a new contract sooner(and on likely lesser wages).

Tiber

It's a vast amount of money unless he returns to his crazy hot streak and sustains it for the rest of his career rather than a month or so

wolvored

Why dont they pay a basic 250k and performance relate everything else to keep him on his toes? What happens when the next top player wants a new contract? What happens to this FFP on wages we keep hearing about? We are supposed to be struggling as it is and if Maguire, McTom, Fred, Bailley etc refuse to go we are fecked anyway with bringing in new players. De Gea as well. Will we cave in at the last second and agree to his demands? Its all a nightmare that rich owners cant just (legally) pay their way out of.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Sancho is on 350k a week…

Utd are paying Sancho more than Kane or Salah earn!?

FFS sell him and sack the cnut that gave him that contract, then sack the cnut that hired the cnut that gave him that contract!

That’s insane.

Sell Sancho, offer DDG a sensible new contract for his level in the PL likewise with Rashford.

No, we’re not paying you more than Kane or Salah, don’t like it, feck off.
Who would buy him on that contract? And no...offer De Gea nothing. Should've been sold years ago

Rhyme Animal

PSG have admired him for a long time. They just lost Messi. They might lose Neymar. They're making wholesale changes to the squad and getting younger.

They'd likely match our current wage offer(if it's true) or even offer more.
Come on, Messi and Neymar to Rashford? I know he’s quality and has just had his best season but they want HUGE names.

Plus he’s not gonna wanna go for the fecking French league and abandon an exciting time at Utd.

On a free transfer that wouldn't be much to be honest. Whoever takes him would be saving a fortune in transfers fees.

For example, 500k a week x 52 weeks = £26m a year in wages.

Say you put him on a 5 year contract, you sell him on year 3 for what you've paid him in wages to that point (£26m x 3 = £78m). You've essentially got him for free for 3 years, could even make a profit.
Right, but what about wage structure…? Other clubs aren’t as ridiculously run as Utd has been and say, Real, bringing in Rashford and paying him double what Vinicius Jr earns isn’t gonna happen, it’s a laughable notion.

He isn’t worth any more than 250k a week on any scale in football.

Al Hilal, by the looks of it.
The only realistic answer. And if Rashford wants to go play in a joke league for silly money, let him (I don’t think he’d even entertain such an idea personally).

Btw, I really like Rashford. But paying him 250k a week is very generous already. You can’t go giving Rashford 375k a week ffs, it’s genuinely ridiculous.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Why do people keep peddling the idea that this was the 1st season he produced at a good rate? The anomaly was his performances in the 21-22 season(likely caused by his back issues).

We should have tied him down to a new contract sooner(and on likely lesser wages).
This.

The way some fans are complaining on here you would've thought we were giving Elanga a huge new contract after a handful of good games. Rashford has been one of the most productive players in the PL in 4 out of the last 5 seasons and at the age of 25 he's still yet to hit his peak. The only downside is that we didn't offer him a new contract sooner - we would've saved ourselves thousands a week if we had been proactive and tied him down shortly after the World Cup.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If Rashford can't get a 375k contract from Man Utd, he probably will get it next summer from other clubs with big signing bonus. However he needs to perform like any other player who is fighting for his next big pay check. It is less risk for him to re-sign with Man Utd given the season he just had.

AFC NimbleThumb

Cause people went so far & so personal last year it’s difficult for them to admit they got carried away. You aren’t the first to post those stats & wont be the last unfortunately.

The truth is, a vocal number of the fanbase simply don’t like certain players for non-footballing reasons.

acnumber9

Would other clubs offer him 375k? I don't really think so, outside of PSG, and I don't believe he'd go there.
On a free transfer? Of course they would. Chelsea are paying Sterling £325k a week and spent big on him. Real Madrid would happily take him on a free too. There’s more to this than just what others would pay him. The cost for us to replace him would be astronomical.

acnumber9

The truth is there are other wingers who offer a similar threat in front of goal but offer much more to their game than Rashford. Saka, Martinelli for example,
Between them they scored the same number of goals as Rashford last season. If he played for any other club our fans would be drooling at the prospect of signing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.