g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Marcus Rashford new contract thread | It's officially signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

I thought United had a new wage structure in place where the maximum would be 200k week?
This was aways comical to me. I'm pretty sure mid-table prem teams have their highest earners touching that. United would stop existing as an elite club if we were to ever do that.

I always assumed those reports meant £200K basic salary with the rest then being made up of easy to achieve performance related incentives/targets. We would never be able to compete at the highest level with a £200k hard cap.

Hammondo

Of course other clubs would offer the wages. Are you insane? Do you see the transfers getting made? The absolute scarce number of goalscorer about? We could quote any transfer figure we want and we’d have a taker.
If they deserve it then they should ask for similar wages. If the club doesn’t think they’re worth it then they’ll be sold.
I really do not think hes attracting any top team, his overall game is not good enough.

El Jefe

The problem with £375k for Rashford is now he's the reference point.

DDG's contract was so ridiculous that no player reached that amount or more because it was seen as a one-off crazy deal.

My issue with Rashford's contract isn't actually the money but his ability. KDB is on £400k and Haaland on £375k (apparently). This is fine for City because the number of players better than these two in world football is no more than two if that, so you can be assured City won't go beyond this.

In Rashford's case, he isn't good enough to lead us to the trophies we want. Even if we improve the squad, a team with Rashford as it's best player won't be winning the PL or CL. So now players we bring in who are better or potentially better will look at his wage and their starting point.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I thought United had a new wage structure in place where the maximum would be 200k week?
Nah, keep up.

That was the new regime and this is... the new regime. feck, call the Murtough police because you might have found a flaw in the matrix.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I really do not think hes attracting any top team, his overall game is not good enough.
Rashford? If he was actually made available, he would have Barca and PSG going for him, and possibly Bayern depending on price (if he was out of contract for example). I have 0 doubts on that. He'd have the elite clubs not named Real Madrid who have Vini, and the non PL rivals who are non starters going after him. And they'd all offer him huge wages. Rashford brings a lot of marketing potential too which increases his wages. And if he stays there's a very real chance he ends as one of our top 5 all time top scorers.

Hammondo

Rashford? If he was actually made available, he would have Barca and PSG going for him, and possibly Bayern depending on price (if he was out of contract for example). I have 0 doubts on that. He'd have the elite clubs not named Real Madrid who have Vini, and the non PL rivals who are non starters going after him. And they'd all offer him huge wages. Rashford brings a lot of marketing potential too which increases his wages. And if he stays there's a very real chance he ends as one of our top 5 all time top scorers.
Barca could not afford him, and they don't go for players are technically limited as Rashford, he wouldn't make their first 11.

PSG is probably the only possibility, but no club has ever made an offer for Rashford, and with a much higher wage I doubt they would start. Basically all of it depends on if PSG would go for him.

Cloud7

I said somewhere else that realistically the only player that can come in for Rashford in our setup is Mbappe, so unless he was coming in the club was always gonna give him a huge contract. At least you could say that based on last season (hopefully he continues like that) he deserves to be our highest earner.

Side note but I cringe every time I see Sancho’s wage and what we get from him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Barca could not afford him, and they don't go for players are technically limited as Rashford, he wouldn't make their first 11.

PSG is probably the only possibility, but no club has ever made an offer for Rashford, and with a much higher wage I doubt they would start. Basically all of it depends on if PSG would go for him.
No club has made an offer because there's no point in it. Teams don't make random offers for players who have no interest in leaving. Barcelona would of course be interested, he'd walk into their team. Why is he technically limited? He's very good at linking up, and has excellent technique with his passing and shooting especially. There's different types of players, he's not a left wing type who is constantly running with the ball, he provides his cutting edge with his off the ball runs while being able to provide a lot of other excellent attributes.

He's a top player and thankfully Ten Hag values him highly too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This was aways comical to me. I'm pretty sure mid-table prem teams have their highest earners touching that. United would stop existing as an elite club if we were to ever do that.

I always assumed those reports meant £200K basic salary with the rest then being made up of easy to achieve performance related incentives/targets. We would never be able to compete at the highest level with a £200k hard cap.
The idea of a flat wage cap is silly but very few (if any) teams outside of the “big 6” have anyone touching 200k+

M Bison

Supports
York City
Cant wait until his first poor game next season and everyone says what a bad idea it was giving him that new contract :drool:

Burst his bubble etc...

Irwin99

Another season like last year and we won't be complaining. I did think however, that we were meant to be implementing a wage/salary cap to prevent wages getting out of control? Did i just imagine that or was that part of the briefing a year or so back?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Raphina says hi

TsuWave

The idea of a flat wage cap is silly but very few (if any) teams outside of the “big 6” have anyone touching 200k+
Not gon hold you breh, when I said "mid-table" I was envisioning any club outside of the top 4 :lol: my bad. But yeah, I assume Spurs' highest earners are touching £200K (not plus) but there or close to. Wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle's highest earners there too soon, and IIRC West Ham wanted to offer something like that to Rice

I hear you though

Devil You Know

Oof.

I love the guy, but that salary is going to screw up any chance of a sensible wage structure for the next few years.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This wage jump will comeback later down line with other players. Money is ridiculous now, Europe needs wage cap to control this. Be better long term for all leagues.
Why? There's more money coming into the sport now than ever before. What doesn't go to the players will just go to the billionaire owners instead.

Rightnr

Why? There's more money coming into the sport now than ever before. What doesn't go to the players will just go to the billionaire owners instead.
This I agree on. Pay the people creating the entertainment, not leeches like the Glazers who come from money and just hoard it anyway.

However, if contracts like these means football becomes ever more expensive for the average Joe which reduces its reach and ability to be the global sport of choice, it's dangerous and rather the opposite of what United should stand for.

Battery

Madness, I honestly do not think he is worth that much.

He was the best player for a few months after the world cup and that never lasted.

Lets hope he further improves and is consistent with it for that money.

Frank White

DDG's contract was so ridiculous that no player reached that amount or more because it was seen as a one-off crazy deal.

My issue with Rashford's contract isn't actually the money but his ability. KDB is on £400k and Haaland on £375k (apparently). This is fine for City because the number of players better than these two in world football is no more than two if that, so you can be assured City won't go beyond this.

In Rashford's case, he isn't good enough to lead us to the trophies we want. Even if we improve the squad, a team with Rashford as it's best player won't be winning the PL or CL. So now players we bring in who are better or potentially better will look at his wage and their starting point.
Isn't that what Rashford is doing with Sancho as the benchmark for a better wage? You say DDG was a one off crazy deal but yet Sancho is supposedly on 350k a week, and he cost 80m on top of that.

Lets say this new wage being thrown around is gospel, which lets face it it's more than likely not but let's say it is. Whoever we bring in is going to cost a arm and a leg to replace him and will probably be on stupid wages to match i.e Antony who cost 100m and is on 200k a week.

cyberman

Barcelona tried to sign him a few years ago before he signed this contract. Thought they had him too but Marcus bottled the move.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People really thought we had 200K wage cap? :lol:

Rightnr

People really thought we had 200K wage cap? :lol:
I never did but if you go back to that thread you'll see a lot of Murtough supporters welcoming a new age in the running of the club.

Gullible lot.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
With the inflation and also lack of goal scorer in the market, 375k contract seems normal for Rashford. Even Saka is on 290k and he is much younger and without the goals.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He had a great couple of months this year, but giving someone a massive contract based on a few good months among years of mediocrity seems like a risk.

Giggsyking

Haaland is nowhere near 375k. He closer to 1m than that number. FFS he rejected an offer from Real madrid for 500k a week. Why would he take less many at small club?

Devil You Know

He had a great couple of months this year, but giving someone a massive contract based on a few good months among years of mediocrity seems like a risk.
He's not had years of mediocrity at all.

Rashford had one bad season in the last four since being 20 years old. And that was a season when he was playing with a broken back with Ronaldo up front forcing the entire team to play through him.

22/23 - 30 goals, 11 assists = 41 goal involvements
21/22 - 5 goals, 2 assists = 7 goal involvements
20/21 - 21 goals, 15 assists = 36 goal involvements
19/20 - 22 goals, 12 assists = 34 goal involvements

He's not quite elite level, but he's only a notch below with potential to get there. Maybe about 80% of prime Gareth Bale at the moment.

Eugenius

Feel like it's very difficult to compare apples to apples nowadays with wages. I think most players have a 25 percent increase/decrease clause depending on CL.

And I'm sure City and the other middle East clubs have some big off-the-books nod and wink agreements (eg Mancini getting a few million for coaching jollies in AD).

What needs to change is that we are awful at contracts. It's ridiculous that we are regularly leaving our most valuable players with one year left on their contract, and either lose them for free (Pogba) or getting rinsed for cash (DDG).

Sylar

Reckon it's no where near that as a base wage and it's been exaggerated as it usually is for our player wages and transfers.

Oranges038

He could get 10x that in from the Saudi league.

Doubt it's anywhere near the quoted figures, but makes sense to tie him up with a new deal.

Hammondo

Barcelona tried to sign him a few years ago before he signed this contract. Thought they had him too but Marcus bottled the move.
Unproven rumors, strange how almost none of these rumors never work out. Where was the offer?

Devil You Know

Chelsea are letting their star academy graduate Mason Mount go because of his wage demands. But United can't do the same with Rashford because he's our only reliable attacker right now.

The aim should be to build a strong enough squad so that existing players no longer dictate to the club. The problem is that buying new players on sensible wages is going to be harder precisely because of those existing players dictating to the club.

It's a vicious circle and I'm not sure how we get out of it. We can't buy a Rashford replacement without putting the replacement on the massive wages himself.

Last edited:

Frank White

Unproven rumors, strange how almost none of these rumors never work out. Where was the offer?
The president of PSG was quite open in his admiration for Rashford and said that they'd spoke prior to last year with him and would be interested if he did become available.

Genuine question if he did run his contract down what calibre of club do you think he'd get interest from?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The president of PSG was quite open in his admiration for Rashford and said that they'd spoke prior to last year with him and would be interested if he did become available.

Genuine question if he did run his contract down what calibre of club do you think he'd get interest from?
Maybe in his mind, Southampton, Bournemouth or at best West Ham.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The cafe will find a way to be upset about anything.

cyberman

Well what can ever be presented to you if everything is just a rumour?
What about Xavi himself saying he hopes Fati can be a similar player to Rashford? Is that Xavi hoping Fati will fail?
Lewandowski is a box player, does nothing outside of the box yet Barca bought him. Raphina is levels below Rashford in every facet of the game.
It’s easy to say every report is nonsense when you have literally nothing to back your point up with? Are there many reports saying Barca etc don’t see Marcus as good enough?

zaafi

Do people genuinely feel he deserves to be on this wage? And no, neither does Sancho but it's a bit late for that.

Hammondo

Yes I knew about PSG, but thats very different to Barcelona.

I am not sure what club he would go to after United, I could see him at Chelsea or possibly Liverpool (I realize he might not want to go to another English team), I could see PSG go for him but since they are changing so many players I have no idea what their plans for the future are in terms of style.

Status
Not open for further replies.