g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Marcus Rashford vs Anthony Martial (2017 / 2018 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
But Mourinho doesn't, not only because the squad would lose the ability to control possession, but mainly because we'd be out of bench options to change the game attackingly. No one would be afraid if we subbed Lingard or Mata in, would they? Come Ibrahimović, that's another matter completely.
I take the points about the bench and the tactical element to not starting Martial and Rashford together, even though I think they'd be fine operating in tandem from either side.

However I don't see Zlatan's addition to the squad as an issue either way. Lukaku is the top striker at the club now and Zlatan won't be taking minutes off our wide forwards.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And you couldn't think of a few isolated occurrences for Rashford too? If creating a few chances is all it takes to be considered a creative passer then just about every attacker is.
Maybe I could, if that were the discussion and I could be bothered to. And what is 'a few isolated chances'? Is he supposed to create two at a time? Martial creates a lot of chances, through creative passing, which is why he's considered a creative passer. If you actually read my post, you will see it has no bearing at all on how many chances Rashford may or may not create.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd say Martial's the better player overall probably, but both should be getting a decent amount of playing time in the team.

acnumber9

Maybe I could, if that were the discussion and I could be bothered to. And what is 'a few isolated chances'? Is he supposed to create two at a time? Martial creates a lot of chances, through creative passing, which is why he's considered a creative passer. If you actually read my post, you will see it has no bearing at all on how many chances Rashford may or may not create.
Well you literally said they had different qualities before going on to mention creative passing. I'm not sure how that has no bearing on how creative Rashford's passing is. There isn't an attacker in the world who doesn't create some chances so on the criteria provided it's a redundant comment.

Who considers Martial a creative passer? When people talk of his qualities it's never one I hear mentioned.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well you literally said they had different qualities before going on to mention creative passing. I'm not sure how that has no bearing on how creative Rashford's passing is. There isn't an attacker in the world who doesn't create some chances so on the criteria provided it's a redundant comment.

Who considers Martial a creative passer? When people talk of his qualities it's never one I hear mentioned.
I was comparing Martial to Mata when referencing his passing. 'Literally', too.

And I don't get your point at all. If every forward creates chances, then perhaps nobody should be referred to as creative?

The detail, is in the variety of chances Martial creates. And that's actually the point, for anyone who isn't trying to split hairs and argue for the sake of it, or argue by 'technicality'. I have referenced through, balls, chips, crosses and the like. Lukaku may 'create chances', but he doesn't play the types of passes Martial can play, and more importantly - HAS played on a number of occasions. Hence my actual point that playing him WITH Rashford doesn't necessarily lose much of the creativity I imagine MATA is being selected to provide. He can play the same kind of passes, and offer other things too. He doesn't run in behind much, but Rashford does, as does Lukaku. hence the three potentially complimenting each other.

As for your last sentence, I get the impression you don't hear much at all when the conversation turns to discussing Martial's qualities.

GM K

I think Martial is a much better footballer than Rashford. He has a much higher ceiling as well. Martial can become world class but it's highly unlikely that Rashford will.

I actually think they are pretty close. Not much differences but I think Rashford is a slightly more rounded footballer. Better pace, better movement off the ball, better awareness, better crosses, better mentality.

Martial is better at dribbling, close ball control and finishing. Those are about the only areas I'll take him over Rashford.

As per shooting, ball control, heading, passing etc, I think they are at par.

I think it comes down to personal preferences in terms of style and tactics.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I think Martial stands out from a technical view. His ability to dribble in tight areas as well as his cool approach just make him very likeable.

Rashford is Mr United now. The kid who grew up from the bottom and got the big break. I think he's got that Ronaldo mound, where he can be whatever he wants to be but it's all about his dedication and application rather than natural ability. His physique and speed are incredible, everything else will come with practice. You can tell he's working on his finishing for example, and may not necessarily be a 'natural goal scorer'

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
I talked about it on here earlier in the season and Rio brought it up the other night... play the two of them, one either side of Lukaku. Both can put a shift in defensively and offensively, it has the potential to be devastating.

meamth

To those who question why Mata is superior choice at the right side.

Mata's off the ball movement is superior. Plus at the moment he seems more clinical than Martial. Mata's eye for that final ball and finishing is better, hence he is the better option.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To those who question why Mata is superior choice at the right side.

Mata's off the ball movement is superior. Plus at the moment he seems more clinical than Martial. Mata's eye for that final ball and finishing is better, hence he is the better option.
I don't agree that Mata is more decisive than Martial. Martial is a better goal scorer, and this Mata final pass is a bit overrated in my opinion, perhaps as he's a short, Spanish 10, who should be great at playing killer passes. Personally, I've not noticed he's THAT special at it.

I agree that his movement in behind is better, but that's not the be all and end all. Rashford and Lukaku can do that. Besides, everyone can't be running behind just waiting for Paul Pogba to get the ball to them. The constant pointing out of Martial's non-penetrative movement seems to be at the expense of what he DOES offer instead. And also, while he doesn't necessarily run behind like a winger would, he has good movement for a striker I think. His first goal this season involved him timing a run off the shoulder of the last defender, and he wasn't exactly stood on the halfway line waiting with his hands on his hips when he scored his second either. He ran ahead of Pogba on the break to receive the pass. Still, Rashford is certainly better, but I think that's partly because Martial has more to give on the ball. I don't want to see Lukaku in the 10 position all game, he isn't good enough there anyway. I have less issue with Martial wanting the ball at his feet all he time, as it is with the ball he can destroy teams, whereas Rashford is better suited to doing it without the ball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One of the highlights of this 2017 / 2018 season has been the intriguing battle between Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial.

In playing time terms, they have both been given their chances and we have seen what they can do this season.

I'll cut through the chase: who is or who has been better, Marcus or Anthony?
There is absolutely no rivalry between the two and nor is there a binary choice imo. We can use both of them.

el3mel

This debate is still going on ? What's the reason behind it ? Instead we should be pleased we have such 2 young talents occupying the left wing position. They can secure this position for years.

Anyway, they both have their advantages. Rashford has overall better movements on the pitch, while Martial is better in 1 vs 1 situations and has better finishing. Their style of play is different but they both have the ability to cause havoc in the opposition defense, either by Rashford's movement and pace or by Martial's skills in taking on players.

I'm really happy to have these 2 in this position. The 2 are very young, have great talent and are still improving. I wanted LW in the summer but after watching both I changed my opinion. This position will be secured for years by them. They will become better and better as the years pass. We should focus our efforts to upgrade the right flank.

Denis79

Rashford has done incredibly well in a position that's not his natural one imo. Martial can suddenly spark and show his talents. Wonderful to see two of our biggest talents battling it out.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How often have we seen one of Martial or Rashford come on in the last 20 minutes and make a massive impact? We shouldn't be playing both of them at the same time, having their legs and direct running coming off the bench is too great of a weapon to lose.

As for the 'Martial has the higher ceiling' debate, I can't see it any more. It used to be Martial providing more moments of brilliance but Rashford has overtaken him in that department.
If we are in desperate need of someone to pull a rabbit out of their arse to win us a game then I'll put my money on Rashford doing that over Martial.

ash_86

Competition for places bring out the best in players. I'm pretty sure there enough games for both of them to be contempt

Vaibhav Raj

Some people in Martial performance thread have told me that Martial's creative passing is same as Mkhi or Mata's if not better. And like the person you are having a discussion with, they fall back on that one chipped pass last season or that one eye of the needle pass in that one game to prove their point.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some people in Martial performance thread have told me that Martial's creative passing is same as Mkhi or Mata's if not better. And like the person you are having a discussion with, they fall back on that one chipped pass last season or that one eye of the needle pass in that one game to prove their point.
Pretty sure those people are in the minority.
I've said many times, that imo Martial is our most creative player but it's nothing to do with his passing.

Trequartistry

RE: users that complain about the comparison, the reason we're comparing is because one is being played ahead of the other, most of the time its Rashford ahead of Martial when Martial deserves to play.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
when Martial deserves to play.
In your opinion. Rashford does well when he plays, which is why he gets game time. Martial did well from the bench the first few games which is why he wound up in the starting XI.

The fact is that both have done very well at different periods and you can make a convincing case for either.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I'd not call it a battle. What we've got going with them is working brilliantly: one starts, one comes on and always impresses. I wouldn't change that for as long as it works!

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
There's something about Rashford's mentality that seems destined for greatness. I mean, Martial seems more talented, but I am 100% sure Rashford will go places in football. I think he's just that driven. And that might matter more in the end.

Trequartistry

In your opinion. Rashford does well when he plays, which is why he gets game time. Martial did well from the bench the first few games which is why he wound up in the starting XI.

The fact is that both have done very well at different periods and you can make a convincing case for either.
Not saying Rashford doesn't deserve to start, ideally I'd play Martial and Rashford.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
My view as an outsider is that Martial is the more talented player but Rashford is more likely to be a club legend for United.
He loves the club, has more heart and a burning desire to do what it takes to improve his game and iron out any flaws.
I don't see Martial at OT beyond about 3 more years no matter what but I cannot imagine Rashford anywhere else.

Cliche Guevara

It's absolutely right that they are compared to each other, as they are competing for the same position and the question is who has done better so far this season.

60/40 in Rashford's favour, for me.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I still don't get this argument about Martial needing more space than Rashford.
Everyone is in unanimous agreement that Martial is the better dribbler and has better close control and Rashford relies more on pace.
So how then can it be that Martial requires more space?
Imo, it's the other way round. It's Rashford that relies on space to use his pace and run into.
How many times have we seen Rashford run the ball out of play?
On the general point, I think Jose will keep rotating both but at some point, he will have to get both playing together.
I didn't mean to suggest Martial needs more space, but he's the one of the two I want benefitting from the spaces a tired defence leaves towards the end of a match.

Home&Away

Rashford made his debut for the injured martial - ever since Martial has lost his position as a CF to Rashford.

In an ideal world; reverting to the 352 and playing 2 of Lukaku, Martial, Rashford would get the best out of everyone.

Currently picking martials or Rashfords name pretty much out of a hat for a position they are both good but not class at is a tad disappointing to me.

meamth

For me it goes down to hard work and growth. Comparing Rashford and Martial, i find Rashford's growth is immense, from that 179 cm skinny boy into 185 cm physical beast. His running is more constant over the years, getting less tired and harder to knock out of possession. His off season training videos in Instagram shows how much work he put into his body, that is very impressive.

Martial however looks the same, the only difference is he made less mistakes due to Mourinho's coaching. For an 18 year old coming to the club and not showing any physical improvement is a bit worrying for me. Just my opinion.

But it's nice to see this friendly rivalry, just like back in the days with Rooney v Ronaldo.

meamth

Comparing their ability:

Acceleration : Rashford hands down.
Top Speed: Close, but Rashford wins.
Agility: Martial twice more agile.
Balance: Martial, lower centre of gravity
Technical Skills (first touch, ballers skill): Martial
Finesse: Martial's elegance is drooling to watch
Flair: Martial
Dribbling: Martial
Passing: Rashford improved a lot, that deep crosses, chipped ball from final third this season shows his growth as a player.
Crossing: Martial's low crosses and driving crosses are more dangerous than Rashford's
Aerial Ability: Probably Rashford, both aren't good enough.
Volleys: Martial
Shooting: Difficult to choose, but I guess Rashford has more in his locker.
Finishing: Martial so much better.
Work Rate: Rashford
Teamwork: Rashford
Stamina: Rashford
Strength: Rashford
Off the ball movement: Rashford got more chances than Martial.
Mentality (Based on mood, desire and hunger in games): Rashford

Listing that up I'm quite surprised how Rashford is marginally the better choice at the moment.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
For me it goes down to hard work and growth. Comparing Rashford and Martial, i find Rashford's growth is immense, from that 179 cm skinny boy into 185 cm physical beast. His running is more constant over the years, getting less tired and harder to knock out of possession. His off season training videos in Instagram shows how much work he put into his body, that is very impressive.

Martial however looks the same, the only difference is he made less mistakes due to Mourinho's coaching. For an 18 year old coming to the club and not showing any physical improvement is a bit worrying for me. Just my opinion.

But it's nice to see this friendly rivalry, just like back in the days with Rooney v Ronaldo.
Martial was 19 when he joined, he's now 21. Not much room to grow after that unless you are a late bloomer. Rashford is a year or two younger and just stopped by the look of it. It's also completely normal to not grow much beyond 16/18. Some men have incredible growth spurts whilst others do not.

beingshe7don

We all know that Martial is a very talented player but is he a Manchester United type of player? When you see Rashford, Pogba, Mhiktaryan and Lukaku play, you can tell that they are Manchester United type of players but Martial just doesn't give off that vibe. I just don't think he's got the drive to be a world class player. He hasn't improved on his off the ball movement. He still relies on getting the ball a little deeper and then runs at defenders which is all good but he hasn't improved on his major weaknesses. He's done well so far this season but that doesn't take away the fact that his finishing and off the ball movement is not of the highest standard. I just don't think he'll remain at OT for too long especially with Mourinho in-charge. I think Pulisic or Carrasco would be much better acquisitions.

GM K

This debate is still going on ? What's the reason behind it ? Instead we should be pleased we have such 2 young talents occupying the left wing position. They can secure this position for years.

Anyway, they both have their advantages. Rashford has overall better movements on the pitch, while Martial is better in 1 vs 1 situations and has better finishing. Their style of play is different but they both have the ability to cause havoc in the opposition defense, either by Rashford's movement and pace or by Martial's skills in taking on players.

I'm really happy to have these 2 in this position. The 2 are very young, have great talent and are still improving. I wanted LW in the summer but after watching both I changed my opinion. This position will be secured for years by them. They will become better and better as the years pass. We should focus our efforts to upgrade the right flank.
Only problem is that they are both so good that none of them will settle for rotating for long. Either they start playing together or one of them will move on. That is as sure as the talent they possess.

Klean

Like many others have said, I would like to see them both as a wide forward type player. In the current system I don't think it would work, but when Zlatan comes back I think there is some merit. Zlatan could drop deep to link up with Miki in the mid creating space in behind for both Rashford and Martial.

Simbo

They could comfortably play together I'm sure but the idea of having one run a full back to death for 60 minutes before bringing on fresh legs for more of the same is a tactic I doubt Jose wants to give up.

ghagua

They both should be starting on either side of Lukaku. Maybe we will look a different team without being handicapped on the right side of the pitch.

MeUnited

Neither are good enough to be a starter for a top side but both are good enough to come in and out of the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.