Marcus Rashford vs Anthony Martial (2017 / 2018 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

It is not really a battle when Martial is the better player. Rashford runs more and works harder, but Martial is the better player. That skill when he took out 2 opponents is something Rashford cant do at the moment, Martial anytime.

devips

I think Rashford and Martial should have an American wrestling type fight out to determine who comes out as a sub in all our matches henceforth, because then he is guaranteed to score.

Rusholme Ruffian

Great to see them both from the start yesterday and both being pretty devastating (albeit against weak opposition).

Question for any French speakers/followers of French football: does Martial come across as intelligent when he's interviewed in French? I was pretty shocked at how poor his English was last night when he was interviewed and he came across as not the sharpest tool in the box...am I misjudging him?

Just wondering whether, if he isn't the sharpest, whether it has taken longer than anticipated for the penny to drop with him about what Mourinho is looking for from him, and it might partially explain last season's form.

Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying that the above is the case at all - Gareth Bale still can't speak any Spanish, but actually comes across as pretty intelligent (for a footballer) when interviewed in his mother tongue, so it's very possible that it's just the same with Tony M.

GM K

I've got a strange feeling that this thread would look pretty stupid in a few years.
Many things look stupid after a few years. The most baffling at times is when we look at the mirror after a few years.

GM K

Great to see them both from the start yesterday and both being pretty devastating (albeit against weak opposition).

Question for any French speakers/followers of French football: does Martial come across as intelligent when he's interviewed in French? I was pretty shocked at how poor his English was last night when he was interviewed and he came across as not the sharpest tool in the box...am I misjudging him?

Just wondering whether, if he isn't the sharpest, whether it has taken longer than anticipated for the penny to drop with him about what Mourinho is looking for from him, and it might partially explain last season's form.

Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying that the above is the case at all - Gareth Bale still can't speak any Spanish, but actually comes across as pretty intelligent (for a footballer) when interviewed in his mother tongue, so it's very possible that it's just the same with Tony M.
Interesting angle. You might have a point there.

tomaldinho1

I thought he was ok, bearing in mind Tony V literally hasn't bothered to learn English in over a decade. It's more about the player, if they want to be a real part of a squad they start to learn the lingo - Mcmanaman speaks decent Spanish and it's no coincidence he did well at RM.

Tapori

I thought he was ok, bearing in mind Tony V literally hasn't bothered to learn English in over a decade. It's more about the player, if they want to be a real part of a squad they start to learn the lingo - Mcmanaman speaks decent Spanish and it's no coincidence he did well at RM.
Where can i witness this scouse spanish dialect you speak of?

Rusholme Ruffian

Fair do's, but for me it wasn't just the poor English, he actually came across (to me anyway) as thick as feck. I am fully aware I am judging him on about 2 sentences though, hence me asking for more info from those in the know.

Maybe the reason why he always wears the same expression is because there is literally nothing going on inside his brain?!

Fully Fledged

I find it strange that so many hold such a strong favouritism towards Tony M over Marcus.

Take last night for instance Rashford scored the first 2 goals, which Jose stated rightly at the weekend are the most important 2 goals in a match where you win by a big score, but Tony M was overwhelmingly voted MoM on here (67% to 24% for Rashford).

Now They both had great games and I love Tony as much as the next guy but I cant see why there is not that same love for Marcus who is also an outstanding player and had the most important impact on the game (scoring the first 2 goals).

I'm not saying that Marcus should have won the vote just that the 43% gap between the two is crazy IMHO.

Shiva87

Fair do's, but for me it wasn't just the poor English, he actually came across (to me anyway) as thick as feck. I am fully aware I am judging him on about 2 sentences though, hence me asking for more info from those in the know.

Maybe the reason why he always wears the same expression is because there is literally nothing going on inside his brain?!
Guys, this is absurd. Judging him by 1 interview when he is 19! It was his first interview in English. He didn't want to say anything that would make it controversially in the papers. He had to go to collect his MOTM award and he may just be a shy person in front of the camera. Give the guy the space to grow up. How many unintelligent / thick persons can do the intelligent stuff he does when on the pitch. Beating a man with pace and trickery is a lot about intelligence. Aaron Lenon looked unintelligent on the pitch as he knew only to push the ball and run. Martial does many other things!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Like Wasim and Waqar, they'll make each other better.
I don't disagree with the point, but I would argue the difference is bowlers can both be brought in and out of the attack in the same game, whereas apart from last night we only get 60 mins of one and 30 mins of another.

Rusholme Ruffian

Guys, this is absurd. Judging him by 1 interview when he is 19! It was his first interview in English. He didn't want to say anything that would make it controversially in the papers. He had to go to collect his MOTM award and he may just be a shy person in front of the camera. Give the guy the space to grow up. How many unintelligent / thick persons can do the intelligent stuff he does when on the pitch. Beating a man with pace and trickery is a lot about intelligence. Aaron Lenon looked unintelligent on the pitch as he knew only to push the ball and run. Martial does many other things!
Thanks for the reply, but a) it was just a bit of idle speculation, and b) you appear to have ignored the fact that I wrote this:

and this
I am fully aware I am judging him on about 2 sentences though, hence me asking for more info from those in the know.
I don't give a monkeys whether he is an academic genius, or with an IQ marginally higher than an ameoba - plenty of brilliant footballers have not been the brightest sparks - I was just interested to hear from people that have heard him speak in his mother-tongue whether it was just a bad interview (for any one of many reasons as you mention above).

jem

For all this talk about Martial vs Rashford, I think the real battle will be Rashford vs Lukaku (not this year obviously, or even next, but in the not-so-distant future.)

Joeace2020

Are we going on about how intelligent a lad from France sounds speaking English for the first time in his life now? I guess Wayne Rooney was so intelligent too.. yes?

Tapori

I don't disagree with the point, but I would argue the difference is bowlers can both be brought in and out of the attack in the same game, whereas apart from last night we only get 60 mins of one and 30 mins of another.
Aye, of course you're practically right but the general point is vital.
I actually like the minutes switching as it keeps them both fresh and allows us to use them together as our Ace in the Deck and allows them to work on their game without each other.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I'd love to see United at some point play a 3-4-3 (or a 4-3-3 that can transition to a 3-4-3, like how Barca would with the WB's pushing forward and Busquets dropping back to create a back three), that would allow both Martial and Rashford to start and pick up these sorts of positions as often as possible (and obviously would be the same area on the other side for the right-sided forward):

Both seem to be very dangerous in that area in particular; Martial has more space than on the wing to beat players and drive in to the box in better positions, whilst Rashford can find the net brilliantly at times from that sort of position just outside the area.

Would have to look something like this I guess:

Last edited:

Litch

Excuse the pun, but it speaks volumes that he's given an interview in English. This lad has really turned a corner at the club in more ways than one and I've noticed a different kind of response from Rash, Pogs and Rom when he scores.

RedCurry

Jose for now is using both Rashford and Martial very effectively. We needed a wide forward to constantly score and create goals. Well we don't have a consistent enough player for that but as a combined unit, Rashford and Martial are that player for us. They are both guaranteed to play a combined total of at least 90 minutes every game and are hugely productive. One player rips apart a team for 60-70 minutes and the other comes on to capitalize on tired legs in defense. Eventually whoever does better in their given start will naturally get to start more games.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I find it strange that so many hold such a strong favouritism towards Tony M over Marcus.

Take last night for instance Rashford scored the first 2 goals, which Jose stated rightly at the weekend are the most important 2 goals in a match where you win by a big score, but Tony M was overwhelmingly voted MoM on here (67% to 24% for Rashford).

Now They both had great games and I love Tony as much as the next guy but I cant see why there is not that same love for Marcus who is also an outstanding player and had the most important impact on the game (scoring the first 2 goals).

I'm not saying that Marcus should have won the vote just that the 43% gap between the two is crazy IMHO.
I thought Rashford was actually quite poor in the second half, so that may have contributed towards the difference between them in the voting.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I loved yesterday's 4312 - so fluent and pacy ! Hope it gets tried more.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)

This, Martial was actually fairly poor until after 2-0 when he created that chance for Mata, then he kicked it up a notch and played an excellent match. But it was actually Rashford who broke the game open with his 2 excellently taken goals when the game was tighter, which opened up the game and allowed the likes of Martial to exploit the spaces.

You can say after the 2-0 Martial was the starman and star player, but it was Rashford who broke the deadlock excellently and thats something Martial might be inferior to Rashford in.

Against West Ham it was Rashford who was our most dangerous player when the game was tight, making things happen and eventually assisting Lukaku for the 1-0.

Against Swansea,although Rashford didnt score he was once again our most dangerous player when the game was still tight, creating for himself and others and being dangerous. Shame he missed that 1 vs 1.

Then Martial started vs Leicester, he was quite good and could have had an but not as super as in his cameo's, Rashford breaks the deadlock and the game opens up a bit. Against Stoke I dont really remember but I think Rashford started, fell asleep until early 2nd half.

Basel Martial started but was a bit passive, Rashford had a terrible off match vs Everton, Martial came when the game opened up and was excellent.

Yesterday Rashford opened the game when it was tight, and Martial capitulated afterwards.

It might be a trend, Rashford might be able to impose himself more than Tony when it's tight due to his intensity, directness, workrate, whilst when you give Martial a bit of space and time in an open game, he'll hammer you with dribbles, goals and assists.

Oneunited26

Unlike the stupid berbatov v tevez debate, these 2 bring so many different positive weapons to our game, but no question they both a plan A and B

I'd love to see United at some point play a 3-4-3 (or a 4-3-3 that can transition to a 3-4-3, like how Barca would with the WB's pushing forward and Busquets dropping back to create a back three), that would allow both Martial and Rashford to start and pick up these sorts of positions as often as possible (and obviously would be the same area on the other side for the right-sided forward):

Both seem to be very dangerous in that area in particular; Martial has more space than on the wing to beat players and drive in to the box in better positions, whilst Rashford can find the net brilliantly at times from that sort of position just outside the area.

Would have to look something like this I guess:

I think its nice to have a bit of class in which a Mkhi can really play those threaded balls through, which is why I would not sacrifice Mkhi and play a straight up 433 with herrera and pogba. Herrera works hard and does well alongside pogba, but we do need someone like mkhi to create those balls through to our front guys. Now if we sign an all round creative midfielder who can do the job mkhi provides, the assists, the intelligent, like a modric that kind of all round midfelder we could play rashford, martial and lukaku. At the minute for a 433, we are missing that creative all round midfielder, as pogba likes to do so many things, a scholes, iniesta kind of CM is what we would need for the 433 to function brilliantly

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

I thought Rashford was actually quite poor in the second half, so that may have contributed towards the difference between them in the voting.
Martial didn't do much before it was 2-0 he also missed a few 1 on 1's with the GK that Rashford would have been ripped to pieces for.

It sounds like I'm running Martial down but I'm not I'm just saying that the difference between them is not as big as some would make it out to be and it changes from game to game who is the best.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Comparing their ability:

Acceleration : Rashford hands down.
Top Speed: Close, but Rashford wins.
Agility: Martial twice more agile.
Balance: Martial, lower centre of gravity
Technical Skills (first touch, ballers skill): Martial
Finesse: Martial's elegance is drooling to watch
Flair: Martial
Dribbling: Martial
Passing: Rashford improved a lot, that deep crosses, chipped ball from final third this season shows his growth as a player.
Crossing: Martial's low crosses and driving crosses are more dangerous than Rashford's
Aerial Ability: Probably Rashford, both aren't good enough.
Volleys: Martial
Shooting: Difficult to choose, but I guess Rashford has more in his locker.
Finishing: Martial so much better.
Work Rate: Rashford
Teamwork: Rashford
Stamina: Rashford
Strength: Rashford
Off the ball movement: Rashford got more chances than Martial.
Mentality (Based on mood, desire and hunger in games): Rashford

Listing that up I'm quite surprised how Rashford is marginally the better choice at the moment.
Disagree. Teamwork is on par and Martial can hold off defenders much better than Rashford

Fully Fledged

This, Martial was actually fairly poor until after 2-0 when he created that chance for Mata, then he kicked it up a notch and played an excellent match. But it was actually Rashford who broke the game open with his 2 excellently taken goals when the game was tighter, which opened up the game and allowed the likes of Martial to exploit the spaces.

You can say after the 2-0 Martial was the starman and star player, but it was Rashford who broke the deadlock excellently and thats something Martial might be inferior to Rashford in.

Against West Ham it was Rashford who was our most dangerous player when the game was tight, making things happen and eventually assisting Lukaku for the 1-0.

Against Swansea,although Rashford didnt score he was once again our most dangerous player when the game was still tight, creating for himself and others and being dangerous. Shame he missed that 1 vs 1.

Then Martial started vs Leicester, he was quite good and could have had an but not as super as in his cameo's, Rashford breaks the deadlock and the game opens up a bit. Against Stoke I dont really remember but I think Rashford started, fell asleep until early 2nd half.

Basel Martial started but was a bit passive, Rashford had a terrible off match vs Everton, Martial came when the game opened up and was excellent.

Yesterday Rashford opened the game when it was tight, and Martial capitulated afterwards.

It might be a trend, Rashford might be able to impose himself more than Tony when it's tight due to his intensity, directness, workrate, whilst when you give Martial a bit of space and time in an open game, he'll hammer you with dribbles, goals and assists.
That was my point exactly.

They are different players but they both bring so much to the table at the moment. It's exciting to see these 2 develop at our club. I hope to see them grow here for the next 15 years or so. We should appreciate the 2 of them equally.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ws/man-utd-fixtures-rashford-martial-13653809

“It’s difficult when you’re in and out of the team, but we have to find the positives out of it and I think we’ve both done that,” said Rashford.

“I think the competition is always positive competition because we’re improving each other every day when we’re in training and in the games.

“We’re pushing each other more and more. It’s a bit of a headache for the manager, but it’s a good headache for him to have.”

fellaini's barber

We all know that Martial is a very talented player but is he a Manchester United type of player? When you see Rashford, Pogba, Mhiktaryan and Lukaku play, you can tell that they are Manchester United type of players but Martial just doesn't give off that vibe. I just don't think he's got the drive to be a world class player. He hasn't improved on his off the ball movement. He still relies on getting the ball a little deeper and then runs at defenders which is all good but he hasn't improved on his major weaknesses. He's done well so far this season but that doesn't take away the fact that his finishing and off the ball movement is not of the highest standard. I just don't think he'll remain at OT for too long especially with Mourinho in-charge. I think Pulisic or Carrasco would be much better acquisitions.
The feck does this even mean:wenger:

djembatheking

Interesting point about Martial , he does seem to be improving and it could be down to his understanding of Jose .

I`ve no idea how Gareth Bale can sound intelligent in his mother tongue though as he can`t speak Welsh .

prtk0811

Both Should push each other in a healty competiton to reach new heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.