Marcus Rashford vs Anthony Martial (2017 / 2018 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My view as an outsider is that Martial is the more talented player but Rashford is more likely to be a club legend for United.
He loves the club, has more heart and a burning desire to do what it takes to improve his game and iron out any flaws.
I don't see Martial at OT beyond about 3 more years no matter what but I cannot imagine Rashford anywhere else.
I've seen this sort of theory around, and probably believed it myself for a bit, but it does beg the question of 'why'?

Like, personally, I don't think it's much beyond style of play. Rashford is 'busier' in the Vardy mode, maybe it seems he cares more. Or perhaps the fact that he's had cameras and media in his face doing loads of interviews in English talking about his 'story' and determination.

He may we'll be more driven than Martial, but I can't see it being more than a guess. I think if their roles were reversed and Rashford initially moved away from home at 16 to play for, I dunno, West Ham, and then went to France or Germany at 19 to play for a big club, I imagine that would be seen similarly impressive and dedicated. It's just the norm here for others coming in - but when things have gotten tough for Martial, there has been no suggestion he has run and hidden or agitated for a move. He has quickly quashed every rumour about him wanting out, even as a sub. I suspect that stereotypes would always see him as the lesser dedicated. He doesn't run all over the pitch, and doesn't speak to the press much. If he did, he could be constantly telling his story of a tough upbringing in France and how 'scary' it was leaving at 19 and people would think differently I suspect.

Nikelesh Reddy

I think they"ve both been terrific and it's great to see them both shining so brightly at the same time.I think that both of them will get plenty of football this season,so I"m sure that both will score 15 goals this season.As for who's been better so far,well,it's tight but I think that Martial probably shades it for me....

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Martial's better at attacking players and he's a better finisher and has better ball control, though Rashford is improving. Martial's bad games are better than Rashford's if you know what I mean but Rashford gets around the pitch a lot more. Can't split them to be honest. Would have them both as starters.

tomaldinho1

I read that Phil Neville said on telly last night that Rashford is every bit as good as Mbappe and Dembele. What do you think?
Why not. It's hard to judge because there is such a disparity between their three domestic leagues but all three have the tools to become great players.

From my perspective, Mbappe is slightly ahead of the other two, probably because of his successful CL exposure last yr.

AndersB

Saying this is even absolutely blows my mind. Martial has contributed very little apart from a couple of late 3-0 / 4-0 type goals. He's been dispossessed a zillion times and way too often doesn't seem to have a plan. Sure, Rashford loses the ball a lot too, but at least he's determined and very direct

haram

Rashford's movement and runs from the LF position makes him more effective than Martial. Martial is a better dribbler and finisher but you need more than that in that position. It's clear to see, Mourinho is picking Rashford for a reason.

carlosp

I find it strange that so many hold such a strong favouritism towards Tony M over Marcus.

Take last night for instance Rashford scored the first 2 goals, which Jose stated rightly at the weekend are the most important 2 goals in a match where you win by a big score, but Tony M was overwhelmingly voted MoM on here (67% to 24% for Rashford).

Now They both had great games and I love Tony as much as the next guy but I cant see why there is not that same love for Marcus who is also an outstanding player and had the most important impact on the game (scoring the first 2 goals).

I'm not saying that Marcus should have won the vote just that the 43% gap between the two is crazy IMHO.
Agreed.

Rashford should have been MOTM. Martial was terrible the first 20 minutes of the 1st half. He was better in the second half but the damage was done already and Burton had opened up by then trying to chase a goal.

People go on about Martial scoring and assisting once while Rashford scored twice and assisted with Martial's goal.

And to those saying Martial wasn't terrible. Go watch the first half again. He literally lost the ball 3 or 4 times in the first 20 minutes(I have seen him do the same in other games too this season), Blind saved his first embarrassing attempt while other attempts were equally bad. Only later in the first half did he seem to come good and in the second half he was better.

I like Martial but I see many praising him while ignoring his bad habits. Rashford over Martial any day in my books and I'm not even English. Rashford might not have the dribbling potential of Martial but Rashford is a better goal scorer, a better runner with the ball and is more direct while being a vetter number 9.

Hell even Sir Alex had issues with Ronaldo and told him to cut out the show boating. Martial needs to do the same and needs to concentrate on been better.

Last edited:

Ibi Dreams

It's an interesting battle for sure, but overall it's just been such a joy to have them both on form creating and scoring goals already this season.

OL29

Saying this is even absolutely blows my mind. Martial has contributed very little apart from a couple of late 3-0 / 4-0 type goals. He's been dispossessed a zillion times and way too often doesn't seem to have a plan. Sure, Rashford loses the ball a lot too, but at least he's determined and very direct
This is very harsh, you can't really expect a lot more from him in the limited game time he's had. it just shows the crazy expectations some have for him.

criticalanalysis

Guys, this is absurd. Judging him by 1 interview when he is 19! It was his first interview in English. He didn't want to say anything that would make it controversially in the papers. He had to go to collect his MOTM award and he may just be a shy person in front of the camera.
I only saw it once but I actually think he kind of let up with a freudian slip, where he said something like 'I hope I can continue to [play] on Saturday' and sort of corrected it to 'we win'.

He's desparate to start and it showed in this performance but I'd be surprised if he does on Saturday.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
When he comes on with 10 mins of the game left there isn't much more he can do.

Tribec

I think it's fair to say that during most games this year when one has started and the other is on the bench, the one starting has worked hard ran the defence ragged without much success, before allowing another jet heeled teenager to come on and benefit from the others hard work. Whilst it isn't ideal that in most games neither of them start, both have undoubted talent and after last year's second season blues seem to have come back this year hungry and better.

I should say that whilst I think working with Zlatan will have improved them on the training pitch and watching him play, neither really benefited on the pitch with him. It worries me when he returns, if that this may happen again, but lets cross that bridge when it arrives.

jungledrums

The prevailing view away from the caf seems to be that Martial is the superior player (at least in my own, admittedly limited, experiences). There is a potentially world class player in Martial if he continues to develop. Honestly, how can you say it's not even close?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Both are in top form right now. I rate them pretty equally but Martial shades it, could see them both getting 15-20 goals this season. With Lukaku pretty much a cert for 30+ that should silence all those who asked "but where will the goals come from?"

Lebo

Not that I disagree with people who rate Mbappe on his champions league perfomances but why are his goals against City worth more than Rashford's league goals vs City? Or is it the one goal in 180 min against Juve? The sample is too small to form a conclusion. Mind you Rashford did score against Arsenal and Chelsea and I believe they are on par with Dortmund.

yfoFC

Agreed.

Rashford should have been MOTM. Martial was terrible the first 20 minutes of the 1st half. He was better in the second half but the damage was done already and Burton had opened up by then trying to chase a goal.

People go on about Martial scoring and assisting once while Rashford scored twice and assisted with Martial's goal.

And to those saying Martial wasn't terrible. Go watch the first half again. He literally lost the ball 3 or 4 times in the first 20 minutes(I have seen him do the same in other games too this season), Blind saved his first embarrassing attempt while other attempts were equally bad. Only later in the first half did he seem to come good and in the second half he was better.

I like Martial but I see many praising him while ignoring his bad habits. Rashford over Martial any day in my books and I'm not even English. Rashford might not have the dribbling potential of Martial but Rashford is a better goal scorer, a better runner with the ball and is more direct while being a vetter number 9.

Hell even Sir Alex had issues with Ronaldo and told him to cut out the show boating. Martial needs to do the same and needs to concentrate on been better.

"Rashford is a better goal scorer"... Oh no he's not, his finishing most times sucks unless you just started watching him yesterday

"Rashford is a better runner with the ball and direct"... No and yes, martial moves with the ball like it's glued to his feet while rashford just kicks and runs most times. As for being direct, yes rashford is more direct

"Rashfors is a better number 9"... They are competing for the LW role, what does this have to do with anything?

This discussion/argument as I can see it will be extremely tedious 'cause most people will use only the most recent match the two boys play to judge them while having selective amnesia for the matches prior to that and that's the way football works. When one of them does well, his supporters will come here and flag the other off and so it will happen vice-versa rinse and repeat.

There are some things set in stone for now which one game will not change between the two like martial being the better dribbler, finisher, Creator (more assists over time) and link up play while rashford has better movement, is more direct, better work rate and pace. Now are these things going to stay the same? No 'cause the both of them are young and will develop further to refine some aspects of their play while adding others and rashford has had the biggest jump in this aspect with his long range shooting now being better and also his creative abilities.

For these abilities to now be said to be part of rashford's game then he has to show it over a long period if time rather than just flashes of it every now and then. For now I accept there will be game to game pendulum switches according to their recent performances but I hope we don't let that discolour our view of their overall abilities, give it a couple of months and we'll see where one has improved in relation to the other and not just basing it on one game

JeffBoomTetris

Rashford's drive and determination to improve is exceptional in our squad. He still has certain facets to his game that need polishing. But I'm glad he's scoring goals. That's the most important thing in a forward; scoring goals.

Martial needs to make more of his game time. He had stalled his improvement last season. This season is the acid test.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Rashford's drive and determination to improve is exceptional in our squad. He still has certain facets to his game that need polishing. But I'm glad he's scoring goals. That's the most important thing in a forward; scoring goals.

Martial needs to make more of his game time. He had stalled his improvement last season. This season is the acid test.
He's literally got the highest goal-to-minutes ratio in the PL this season.

RedStarUnited

It kinda feels like the Ronaldo/Messi debate. Its a matter of styles, some prefer one and other prefer the other.

Im in the Martial camp and fear we will never see his best years at OT as long as Jose is around. At this moment and time he simply prefers the way Rashford plays.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
"Rashfords finishing sucks" :lol: Deary me some people...
His finishing is erratic. Martial is a far better finisher than Rashford - remember back to some of his goals in his first season such as Liverpool, Southampton, Sunderland, Everton (x2) etc. All of these aforementioned goals were displays of brilliant finishing. When I think of Rashford and his goals, I think of a youngster with an immense "footballing brain" and will get himself into a goal scoring position more often than not - think of his debut goals against Midtjylland, Arsenal, Leicester and Hull, last season. It's not to say he can't score other types of goals but I can think of a fair few "easy" chances which Martial has scored and Rashford hasn't. Martial highlighted his incredible composure infront of goal in his first 10 minutes at the club whereas, Rashford, for me, displayed his brilliant ability to read the game and get himself into goal scoring positions. The two are different players and will follow different paths - hopefully, both of them will reach elite status at our club.

podurban2

His finishing is erratic. Martial is a far better finisher than Rashford - remember back to some of his goals in his first season such as Liverpool, Southampton, Sunderland, Everton (x2) etc. All of these aforementioned goals were displays of brilliant finishing. When I think of Rashford and his goals, I think of a youngster with an immense "footballing brain" and will get himself into a goal scoring position more often than not - think of his debut goals against Midtjylland, Arsenal, Leicester and Hull, last season. It's not to say he can't score other types of goals but I can think of a fair few "easy" chances which Martial has scored and Rashford hasn't. Martial highlighted his incredible composure infront of goal in his first 10 minutes at the club whereas, Rashford, for me, displayed his brilliant ability to read the game and get himself into goal scoring positions. The two are different players and will follow different paths - hopefully, both of them will reach elite status at our club.
That's funny because Rashford scored on his senior PL debut. His goal scoring record is in fact very, very good for a 19yo striker. To say it is bad/sucks/etc is mental. Notice how I didn't even mention Martial in my post, I never said Rashford is better than Martial in front of goal, I only stated he isn't what some make him out to be - a poor finisher.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That's funny because Rashford scored on his senior PL debut. His goal scoring record is in fact very, very good for a 19yo striker. To say it is bad/sucks/etc is mental. Notice how I didn't even mention Martial in my post, I never said Rashford is better than Martial in front of goal, I only stated he isn't what some make him out to be - a poor finisher.
This is the Martial vs Rashford thread. You're right, though, Rashford is not a poor finisher. He still has a lot of work to do on that aspect.

red_john

I wouldn't call it a battle. Things are fine the way they are. Both will get alot of game time this season.

NoPace

This is the kind of thing that will seem like a battle week to week and for specific big games, but in reality it's basically a nothing issue except for the 6 more months we might see Zlatan around. Otherwise, we're talking about 110 games or so a year of 9 and LW games and so about 9900 minutes of total time available at those 2 spots, with guys who never miss time normally getting around 4500 minutes, so if we assume some injuries and suspensions and wanting to have Martial or Rashford to come on and run against tired defenses when they don't start, I don't think having them and Lukaku average 3300 minutes each is a big problem, especially since you might see another 500 minutes or so a year of Rashford on the right or 2 up front or whatever things injury or suspensions elsewhere create.

Zlatan coming back might see one of Rashford or more likely Martial frustrated at the end of the year, though.

spiriticon

My conclusion is that they are both pretty fecking good and I'm glad to have two of the best attacking talents in Europe playing for us.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Both same skill ceiling, at the moment martial is probably more complete, rashford's decision making is mediocre, he needs couple of seasons to figure shit out imo, for some reason he is mourinho's favorite so whatever the boss says.

Jean claude van hire

This is a fantastic predicament for Jose and genuinely exciting to have these two prospects vying for a spot in our front line.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not that I disagree with people who rate Mbappe on his champions league perfomances but why are his goals against City worth more than Rashford's league goals vs City? Or is it the one goal in 180 min against Juve? The sample is too small to form a conclusion. Mind you Rashford did score against Arsenal and Chelsea and I believe they are on par with Dortmund.
Because it's the CL and the CL is rated higher than the PL. MBappé also scored versus Dortmund.

RedStarUnited

This is the kind of thing that will seem like a battle week to week and for specific big games, but in reality it's basically a nothing issue except for the 6 more months we might see Zlatan around. Otherwise, we're talking about 110 games or so a year of 9 and LW games and so about 9900 minutes of total time available at those 2 spots, with guys who never miss time normally getting around 4500 minutes, so if we assume some injuries and suspensions and wanting to have Martial or Rashford to come on and run against tired defenses when they don't start, I don't think having them and Lukaku average 3300 minutes each is a big problem, especially since you might see another 500 minutes or so a year of Rashford on the right or 2 up front or whatever things injury or suspensions elsewhere create.

Zlatan coming back might see one of Rashford or more likely Martial frustrated at the end of the year, though.
Never excited by his come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.