Mario Götze

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I don't think the title race will be very interesting next season either way. Dortmund lost a bunch of established players and bought kids as replacements.
In any case, I hope he stays in the Bundesliga. Who knows, maybe Tuchel can bring him back to former glory. And make something of Schürrle, while he's at it. :D

Bwuk

It's quite likely that Alli will spend a fair few games deployed deeper in midfield, as a CM alongside Dier. This is because Dembele is quite injury prone - and is in any case suspended for the first 4 league games. In the last 3 seasons he's averaged 27 league appearances - i.e. has not played on average in 11 league games per season.

So Goetze - as part of an Eriksen + Goetze + Lamela attacking three - would get a fair few starts on this basis alone. If we then factor in the chances of injury to either Eriksen or Alli (or both), plus the need to rest players, it's quite likely that he'd get plenty of starts.

And of course he might do well enough to permanently displace one of Spurs current first choice attacking three.
From what I've seen of Spurs, which granted isn't as much as you, I'd rather sign another midfielder to replace Dembele when he's unavailable, and keep the Alli/Kane partnership.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can obviously see that Goetze would feel more comfortable staying in his home country, in a league that he knows, but to go back to a club that's he's already left once strikes me as a bad move for the player, a literal step backwards.

Of course I'm biased because I'd like to see him at Spurs, but I think that a fresh challenge, in the more competitive Prem league - and a league with a far bigger global audience - would be the better move for him. He would still get to play in the CL next season at Spurs, but also have the chance to experience living in one of the world's most vibrant capital cities.
I can see where you're coming from, but your arguments don't seem that football related. Götze is at a crossroads imho, he has to decide if he wants to salvage his career or if he's fine with being the underachieving golden boy. Choosing a club because it has a bigger audience and London is a nicer city would signify the latter to me.

In any case, I hope he stays in the Bundesliga. Who knows, maybe Tuchel can bring him back to former glory. And make something of Schürrle, while he's at it. :D
Don't get me started on Schürrle..

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
From what I've seen of Spurs, which granted isn't as much as you, I'd rather sign another midfielder to replace Dembele when he's unavailable, and keep the Alli/Kane partnership.
That's certainly another way of proceeding, but the problem is who? It would have to be someone who is potentially available, wouldn't be a big drop in quality compared to Dembele, who would be willing to come on the basis of cover/competition rather than an assumed starting slot, and who wouldn't cost more than say £20m tops. Got any suggestions?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I can see where you're coming from, but your arguments don't seem that football related. Götze is at a crossroads imho, he has to decide if he wants to salvage his career or if he's fine with being the underachieving golden boy. Choosing a club because it has a bigger audience and London is a nicer city would signify the latter to me. ...
How would he salvage his career by going back to his old club? Wouldn't it just put a cap on his failure to progress and represent a type of resignation - a baulking at new challenges?

And why would moving to the Prem and Spurs mean "underachieving golden boy"? Might he not, under Pochettino, recover his former promise?

These are genuine questions, not necessarily denials of what you're saying, so I'd be interested to hear more of your views on this.

Bwuk

That's certainly another way of proceeding, but the problem is who? It would have to be someone who is potentially available, wouldn't be a big drop in quality compared to Dembele, who would be willing to come on the basis of cover/competition rather than an assumed starting slot, and who wouldn't cost more than say £20m tops. Got any suggestions?
You've already signed Wanyama. Him next to Dier would be a very strong midfield.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You've already signed Wanyama. Him next to Dier would be a very strong midfield.
I see Wanyama as a DM mainly (and as such, cover/competition for Dier), whereas Dembele is box-to-box, mobile, excellent at keeping the ball and going past other players with ease, driving forward.

Wanyama and Dier wouldn't be terrible, but nor would it contribute much to the attack, driving into spaces and drawing players out of position in the way that Dembele does. If we don't get a Goetze-like player (which would allow Alli to drop back into CM when needed), then I'd much prefer to sign proper cover/competition for Dembele rather than rely on Wanyama. Only I don't know who that player might be.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How would he salvage his career by going back to his old club? Wouldn't it just put a cap on his failure to progress and represent a type of resignation - a baulking at new challenges?

And why would moving to the Prem and Spurs mean "underachieving golden boy"? Might he not, under Pochettino, recover his former promise?

These are genuine questions, not necessarily denials of what you're saying, so I'd be interested to hear more of your views on this.
No offense, but it's not like Spurs are any higher on the pecking order than Dortmund and his time at Bayern is already a failure, no matter how you look at it. It's also not like he wouldn't have to work for a spot in Dortmund's first team, it would be a different kind of challenge and the way I see it he's looking to consolidate his position most of all, because the next one or two seasons could easily shape the rest of his career.
Or to word it differently: getting back into shape and recovering his confidence will already be quite a big challenge for him, so I don't think he is in a position to be adventurous.

The way I see it most (if not all) (football) reasons speak for Dortmund. Both Mkhitaryan left a creative vacuum that hasn't been filled with established players - so if he performs there is a very good chance to be a starter for him.
Secondly Dortmund's style should be perfect for him. It likely wouldn't matter whether he plays as a CM, 10 or LM/RM they all those roles play with a focus on the center, since width is provided by the FBs/WBs, so in theory he will always have plenty of players around him and he should be able to play to his strengths without relying on pace or 1on1s, which are probably his biggest weaknesses (relatively speaking) at this point.
The fact that he's already familiar with the club should also make it easier for him to settle in.

In general I'm not saying that Spurs would necessarily be a terrible choice, but to me it seems like Dortmund offers him a much higher chance to get back on track.

Last edited:

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think some are being very harsh on Gotze. His goal return was still something like 1 in 3 during his time in Bayern and wasn't he like the 3rd or 4th best scorer in Pep's time there? That's pretty darn great for an AM. Especially one who was considered to have had a hard time. I also can't see him returning to Dortmund as fan approval is incredibly important in the Bundesliga and the fans see him as a turncoat and therefore don't want him back.

I think coming to us (Spurs) would be a mutually beneficial move. Poch is good at developing young players and Gotze's best years were in a pressing team under Klopp which is incredibly similar to the system we run.

To those wondering who he'd displace, it could be anyone. He brings a different aspect with his incredible dribbling that we lack in our attacking trio. Only Alli has that somewhat and even then it's not as good as Gotze. We've long needed someone to displace Eriksen and rest him and we could also be looking to drop Alli deeper at times. Last year Dembele was an absolute boss for us, but he did show that he can't play twice a week or his body will break down, so we may look to play Alli in midfield alongside Wanyama or Dier to help add more attacking impetus. Now that we're in CL we want to try and cement our place in the top 4 and be able to rotate strong players around the squad - Gotze could obviously help with that.

We've now brought in our biggest needs with depth at striker (Janssen) and DM (Wanyama) so any signings beyond this are gravy. That said there have been rumours of us looking at another AM option and it seems like we're looking for a specific type that can add a dribbling aspect. Gotze and previously Boufal both have the attributes and have been now linked with us.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
According to tomorrows BILD......Götze and Dortmund have a agreement!!!!
The only little problem is - Dortmund's first offer was €23m and Bayern Munich want €27m.

Who comes back to Dortmund as next player - Mkhitaryan or Gündogan??

Last edited:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
According to tomorrows BILD......Götze and Dortmund have a agreement!!!!
The only little problem is - Dortmund's first offer was €23m and Bayern Munich want €27m.

Who comes back to Dortmund as next player - Mkhitaryan or Gündogan??

Gündogan - Miki will just sit his contract out.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
First Sahin came back, then Kagawa and probably Gotze as well now. Quite unusual to see 3 players come back at an age between 23-27ish. Dortmund was and is a great club for them.

Blackwidow

First Sahin came back, then Kagawa and probably Gotze as well now. Quite unusual to see 3 players come back at an age between 23-27ish. Dortmund was and is a great club for them.
If they would come back after a successful time elsewhere...

Bernerr

Supports
Bayern
Well i think its just some basic thinking, they left dortmund and didnt succed at their new team so they want to go back where things worked out well. Tough times for dortmund fans though. Most of what i read at their sites is that they dont want götze back and neither they want schürrle to come for such a big amount of money when they are loaded with young talents on their positions...

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well i think its just some basic thinking, they left dortmund and didnt succed at their new team so they want to go back where things worked out well. Tough times for dortmund fans though. Most of what i read at their sites is that they dont want götze back and neither they want schürrle to come for such a big amount of money when they are loaded with young talents on their positions...
It is certainly a very controversial case, which right now splits the support in several groups. For what it is worth the fellow supporters I´m in contact with are more open minded than some of the internet warrior.

I have not changed the stance I had since the first rumours surfaced: If the guy is willing to face the music of parts of the stadium that will certainly come and to earn back the respect he lost with his move, then he deserves a chance to do so. If under Tuchel he manages to recapture the form he has shown back then for us, we will get an extremely valuable player (especially in terms of creativity) for what is pocket change in the current market.

With a couple of years of hindsight I can also much rather forgive a 20 years young player for having his head turned and handling his move poorly than a captain who was just all talk and a guy who basically showed the middle finger to the coach who got his career back on track. Compared to these instances the Götze transfer was harmless aside of the shock value.

Jaybomb

Dortmund are a joke club. No ambition whatsoever. A bit like Liverpool.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It is certainly a very controversial case, which right now splits the support in several groups. For what it is worth the fellow supporters I´m in contact with are more open minded than some of the internet warrior.

I have not changed the stance I had since the first rumours surfaced: If the guy is willing to face the music of parts of the stadium that will certainly come and to earn back the respect he lost with his move, then he deserves a chance to do so. If under Tuchel he manages to recapture the form he has shown back then for us, we will get an extremely valuable player (especially in terms of creativity) for what is pocket change in the current market.

With a couple of years of hindsight I can also much rather forgive a 20 years young player for having his head turned and handling his move poorly than a captain who was just all talk and a guy who basically showed the middle finger to the coach who got his career back on track. Compared to these instances the Götze transfer was harmless aside of the shock value.
What if he reaches a great level and Bayern tries to sign him in a couple of years :lol: ?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
What if he reaches a great level and Bayern tries to sign him in a couple of years :lol: ?
Might happen. :wenger:

I for one am quite excited about Dortmund next season. They have a huge influx of talented people right now (Dembele, Schürrle, Rode, potentially Götze and Sissoko), and I trust Tuchel when it comes to developing players to reach their potential. Look at Mkhitaryan. He looked more or less failed at Dortmund and was now one of the top transfers after just one season under Tuchel.
I wouldn't be surprised if they played another fantastic season.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Dortmund are a joke club. No ambition whatsoever. A bit like Liverpool.
What?! They are very ambitious, but it's hard to keep starplayers because they simply don't have the money and prestige to do so.

gorky_utd

Are bvb signing both schurrle and gotze?That will be great business from them I think.They will be very strong next season .Still think they need to replace hummels and I dont think bartra is the answer.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks like Schürrle will move to Dortmund to for €30-35m in the next days :houllier:
It makes sense, if they sign players that aren't good enough for the top teams then rich clubs will stop pinching them.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Are bvb signing both schurrle and gotze?That will be great business from them I think.They will be very strong next season .Still think they need to replace hummels and I dont think bartra is the answer.
Sorry but to sign Götze and Schürrle for at least €60m is a big risk......Götze is a poor player since 3 years and Schürrle is average (Yes he played good under Tuchel at Mainz but still).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Goetze is a nothing player to me. As Jay-Z said, 'you had a spark when you started, but now you're just garbage'.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I've never seen Goetze play well. Showed some early promise, but even then the hype never matched the performances. That's most Dortmund players tbh. Fingers crossed over Micki. I imagine Auba is next to go, probably next summer or whenever Bayern sell Lewandowski to Real.

Player wise, they've fallen even further behind Bayern. Only hope for them is that Ancelotti has a terrible league record.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I've never seen Goetze play well. Showed some early promise, but even then the hype never matched the performances. That's most Dortmund players tbh. Fingers crossed over Micki. I imagine Auba is next to go, probably next summer or whenever Bayern sell Lewandowski to Real.

Player wise, they've fallen even further behind Bayern. Only hope for them is that Ancelotti has a terrible league record.
I still think they have a pretty good team and yes of course Bayern will be favourites for the league but Dortmund will probably be their main challengers

.............................Aubamyang...........................
Reus........................Gotze.......................Schurle
...................Bender..............Weigl......................
Gurreriro.......Sokratis.......Ginter...........Piszczek
...............................Burki..................................

Is a pretty good team I think - and they have plenty of quality to back it up as well

Wedenfeller, Bartra, Durm, Sahin, Kagawa, Pulisic, Dembele:
Bonmann, Bandowski, schmelzer, Castro, Leitner, Rode, Ramos

And thats presuming Blaz and Subotic go...

If they stay largely injury free to key players I can see them doing very well in Europe this year if they line up something like that

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I still think they have a pretty good team and yes of course Bayern will be favourites for the league but Dortmund will probably be their main challengers

Is a pretty good team I think - and they have plenty of quality to back it up as well

If they stay largely injury free to key players I can see them doing very well in Europe this year if they line up something like that
Yeah, it's ok. Nothing great though. Reus is injured more often than not, Goetze and Schurrle are very hit and miss. And the defence looks suspect to me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Imo Ginter won't play as CB, Bender won't play in midfield.

I think Sokratis, Bender and Bartra will be equals for the CB spot, Tuchel will probably pick a pair (if he doesn't use a back three) based on tactical considerations (Sokratis = destroyer, Bartra = play making, Bender = something inbetween).
Schmelzer will probably have a head start, because Guerreiro is new to the league and will miss a lot of the pre season, mid term I can see a similar deal as on the CB position, Schmelzer for a more defensive role, Guerreiro for a more attacking approach or WB.
Piszczek seems a safe bet for RB right now (Durm might be prefered as RWB, with Piszczek as RCB).
CM will probably be Weigl + two out of Rode/Kagawa/Castro/Götze (assuming a 4141)
On the "wings" Reus will be a starter, otherwise it'll probably be between Schürrle/Götze/Dembele, for the first team.

Also afaik a Götze deal isn't official yet and while Schürrle seems likely thus far we only know that the player is willing but Dortmund and Wolfsburg haven't reached an agreement.

Dembele, Bartra, Mor and Merino could turn out either way, so it's hard to make predictions about their strength next season, though obviously it seems likely that they won't be as good as before losing the trio.

edit:
Zorc: "utter nonsense, the deal is not done"

Aki_United

I am a live long bvb supporter and don't want him back. Why are we buying all the old players who did not shine and decided to leave us (Sahin, Kagawa). I hate Götze, his betrayal was the one which hurts the most of all the other players. Don't want him back, but he will come, that's business. I am curious how the Südtribüne will invite him...

United Pro

Imo a big problem with Gotze is unfortunately for him his physical attributes. He's not fast, strong or particularly tall and these factors can really limit how far a player can go, unless a team is built around him. An example would be Mata, who excelled at Chelsea when he played as a CAM, but has struggled in his last season at Chelsea and at United. Klopp's Dortmund was perfect for Gotze, but I'm not sure Tuchel's Dortmund are.

Ruffian

Supports
Liverpool
Dortmund are a hell of a side, one of the best in Europe. Mor, and especially Dembele, might just light up the league.

ctp

I wouldn't expect 4-2-3-1 form Dortmund. Something more like

Aubameyang
Reus - Götze - Castro - Dembele
Weigl
Guerreiro - Bartra - Sokratis - Piszczek
Bürki
€ Not that Götze is actually a done dealio. Zorc denied it today.

Enigma_87

You know who
So is it on or off?

At the figure quoted we should be all over this. I still think he will turn good.