Mario Götze

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not yet but it's getting stronger with each passing year with no problem solving actions from us.
We already have lot of average players, not really sure it's the way forward buying more average players no one wants, and Gaitan is really far from special.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We already have lot of average players, not really sure it's the way forward buying more average players no one wants, and Gaitan is really far from special.
That's what I wanted to know. I doubt Mou will just go the easiest route and start signing these kind of players but if I was him I would at some point risk and attempt to sign Gotze. The skill is there at relatively young age for a guy who won few big things already in his career... not sure about his mental attitude though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It will be Ancelotti's call. There's a big chance he leaves on a free next year imo.

Stacks

Don't know why on earth we would want him. He'd be another Mata.. overpriced, not very athletic and we would be struggling to fit him in as he doesn't have a natural position in which he can thrive. Do not want.
He is merely one year older than Depay. So if Depay is going to be given a chance to be something, Gotze should too. Plus he has achieved more already and performed at a higher level. Did I mention he is merely 1 year older than Memphis Depay?

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
It will be Ancelotti's call. There's a big chance he leaves on a free next year imo.
Bayern announced there would be "plenty of time in summer to assess his situation" although his contract expires '17. Doesn't sound like a love affair. His income is generous and was part of the reason Kroos left, the return was meager. Doubt either partner, Bayern or Götze, will shed a tear if the other party decides its time to part ways. According to rumours, Klopp is still in contact with him, so who knows.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He is merely one year older than Depay. So if Depay is going to be given a chance to be something, Gotze should too. Plus he has achieved more already and performed at a higher level. Did I mention he is merely 1 year older than Memphis Depay?
He is a more safer player than a Depay i.e. matured alot faster and hence why he was able to shine quite early in his career, type of player who always made good decisions on the ball but I don't see much growth in his game. I've always found him quite boring to watch and never quite understood why some posters considered him the equal of Neymar who for me shits on him as a footballer.

Depay if everything clicked and his footballing intelligence improved, could be a much more spectacular footballer but on the flip side may never reach the level Gotze reached as a youngster. Gotze has alot of class in his game but I don't consider him dynamic and United need dynamic players - we're an incredibly pedestrian side and we don't need what would effectively be another Mata for us. For Gotze to thrive, he needs to either go to Liverpool and work under a manager who gets his game inside out or go to an Arsenal where there is not much pressure to perform - I could see him linking up well with Ozil/Sanchez. He needs to rediscover his game and understand what he is about and what he has to offer. At the moment he looks like a 'lost' footballer to me.. told he's a german Messi when he has nowhere near as good dribbling skills, and isn't as good a playmaker as he thinks either.

There is obviously a very talented player in him - you don't score goals like that in a world cup final if you don't possess an iota of talent but he's not an obviously brilliant footballer who takes your breath away. He needs to understand that and tailor his game accordingly to become a more productive/efficient footballer.

Adisa

Bayern announced there would be "plenty of time in summer to assess his situation" although his contract expires '17. Doesn't sound like a love affair. His income is generous and was part of the reason Kroos left, the return was meager. Doubt either partner, Bayern or Götze, will shed a tear if the other party decides its time to part ways. According to rumours, Klopp is still in contact with him, so who knows.
Dou you think Bayern would rather let him go on a free than receive meager amount for him.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It would be a bit sad if Götze left before Ancelotti takes over. Ancelotti has a history of finding the perfect role for struggling but talented players. It's a bad situation though. Götze's wages make it impossible to extend his contract unless he's willing to take a significant paycut. I doubt we want to go into the next season with Götze's contract running out though. It just hasn't worked out so far and it would be a financial disaster if we kept him for his final year without an important contribution on his part and then let him leave on a free.

I'm also not sure how great his relationship to the board actually is. I have the impression that it's not great and that the likes of Rummenigge and Sammer wouldn't care if he left. I hope I'm wrong though, I still like the player he can be and would love to see him for a year under Ancelotti just to find out if he's maybe just struggling a bit too much under Guardiola.

manutd619

I bought Gotze on FM and played him as the number 10 behind Harry Kane, won the league the next season

Kane
Reus Gotze Isco
W.Carvalo Schweinster
Shaw Stones Smalling Darmian
DDG

I realise the above is completely irrelevant but wanted to share and couldnt find a FM thread :(

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
It would be a bit sad if Götze left before Ancelotti takes over. Ancelotti has a history of finding the perfect role for struggling but talented players. It's a bad situation though. Götze's wages make it impossible to extend his contract unless he's willing to take a significant paycut.
Career-wise, a player of his age and with his trophy case will not accept a pay cut. As he will not go back to BVB. He could as well put a one-pager ad in the newspapers "I wasn't good enough".

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It would be a bit sad if Götze left before Ancelotti takes over. Ancelotti has a history of finding the perfect role for struggling but talented players. It's a bad situation though. Götze's wages make it impossible to extend his contract unless he's willing to take a significant paycut. I doubt we want to go into the next season with Götze's contract running out though. It just hasn't worked out so far and it would be a financial disaster if we kept him for his final year without an important contribution on his part and then let him leave on a free.

I'm also not sure how great his relationship to the board actually is. I have the impression that it's not great and that the likes of Rummenigge and Sammer wouldn't care if he left. I hope I'm wrong though, I still like the player he can be and would love to see him for a year under Ancelotti just to find out if he's maybe just struggling a bit too much under Guardiola.
The only thing that annoys me is, that Pep uses Götze in a really weird role. For Dortmund he was a brilliant attacking midfielder; not just a player “for the final 1/3 of the pitch”. I don’t want to see him instead of Lewandowski and I don´t like it when he is hugging the line. We have such a flexible system yet for some reason Götze never really plays in his best position.

Generally speaking I am not bothered about him leaving; sometimes players just don´t fit. Still I´d hate it, if he leaves without ever getting a run in his best position.

Without Ribery on the pitch and with Thiago being patchy we sometimes miss this extra tiny bit of quality in terms of play-making; I think Götze could add that.

People who think that he isn´t really that talented are imo insane. What he showed for Dortmund at times was pure class.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Career-wise, a player of his age and with his trophy case will not accept a pay cut. As he will not go back to BVB. He could as well put a one-pager ad in the newspapers "I wasn't good enough".
Yeah, I know.

The only thing that annoys me is, that Pep uses Götze in a really weird role. For Dortmund he was a brilliant attacking midfielder; not just a player “for the final 1/3 of the pitch”. I don’t want to see him instead of Lewandowski and I don´t like it when he is hugging the line. We have such a flexible system yet for some reason Götze never really plays in his best position.

Generally speaking I am not bothered about him leaving; sometimes players just don´t fit. Still I´d hate it, if he leaves without ever getting a run in his best position.

Without Ribery on the pitch and with Thiago being patchy we sometimes miss this extra tiny bit of quality in terms of play-making; I think Götze could add that.

People who think that he isn´t really that talented are imo insane. What he showed for Dortmund at times was pure class.
Agree with all of that.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
He's one of those players we're going to get linked to death with, but not one of those players I'll be too fussed if we miss out on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's one of those players we're going to get linked to death with, but not one of those players I'll be too fussed if we miss out on.
I would gladly take him at United. But would prefer Isco at this stage.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Would take him in a heartbeat. Let's not forget that he was probably Dortmund's best player in that ridiculous Klopp team. Still very young too, talent isn't in doubt. How's his attitude in general?

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I Götzes time, BVB played "assault football". Insane pressing in the own third, after ball win supersonic counterattack with up to 7 players and fast passes. Bayern doesn't, can't play like this.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
He'd be a better fit for United. We already have Cou & Firmino who are very similar players, so if we're going to break the bank for someone, I hope it's for someone different... Could do with a wide player moreso than another #10.

Not saying Gotze isn't class & wouldn't improve us, though!

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I Götzes time, BVB played "assault football". Insane pressing in the own third, after ball win supersonic counterattack with up to 7 players and fast passes. Bayern doesn't, can't play like this.
I don’t think that Götze is limited to any specific brand of football. He has all the tools to be great in a possession oriented team.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I don’t think that Götze is limited to any specific brand of football. He has all the tools to be great in a possession oriented team.
Possibly not. Its just the kind of football in which he excelled, no doubt many of the skills needed for this are valuable when employing other tactics, such as Bayern does. Only he hasn't really impressed in more than a few matches at Bayern at all, instead he's been an also-played in the majority.

Stacks

We are in an age when both potentially are available. 3 years ago they would've been muppet signings. They still have youth and quality in them. Fully expect them to go elsewhere. Perhaps Arsenal or Liverpool, maybe even Chelsea. Are they Philosophy players?

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich

How can you say that with a straight face after almost three years at Bayern München? He was tested on numerous positions where his performances ranged from underwhelming to good, but only very rarely great. He was rel atedly dropped in important games because Guardiola was unable to utilize him in his possession based tactics.

He has obvious pace issues, he can't play the advanced central midfield role, his passing in the final third is average at the top level. He was never more than your typical role player who exceled when the team played well, but was anonymous when we struggled.

He lacks plenty of tools to achive greatness outside an environment that specifically caters to his strengths.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We are in an age when both potentially are available. 3 years ago they would've been muppet signings. They still have youth and quality in them. Fully expect them to go elsewhere. Perhaps Arsenal or Liverpool, maybe even Chelsea. Are they Philosophy players?
Expecting LVG to be gone by the summer. Either would be excellent. If Gotze fulfills his potential he should provide a lot more end product whereas Isco would be great as the third in the midfield trio controlling the game.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Will we be a 'philosophy' club come June?

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
He'd be a better fit for United. We already have Cou & Firmino who are very similar players, so if we're going to break the bank for someone, I hope it's for someone different... Could do with a wide player moreso than another #10.

Not saying Gotze isn't class & wouldn't improve us, though!
Klopp would sign Gotze and drop Coutinho for him IMO. Or drop Coutinho back and play him in midfield like he did with Gundogan. Firmino is much more of a forward then a playmaker too, so would definitely fit in with Gotze there.

You really need a top class striker more then anything, though. If you get one in you should be challenging for top 4/the league. That's assuming your players follow a natural curve of development and Gotze is signed by Klopp.

Firmino---Striker---Ibe
Gotze
Coutinho---Can

Then its only your defence that really needs sorting. A whole new defence might I add.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp would sign Gotze and drop Coutinho for him IMO. Or drop Coutinho back and play him in midfield like he did with Gundogan. Firmino is much more of a forward then a playmaker too, so would definitely fit in with Gotze there.

You really need a top class striker more then anything, though. If you get one in you should be challenging for top 4/the league. That's assuming your players follow a natural curve of development and Gotze is signed by Klopp.

Firmino---Striker---Ibe
Gotze
Coutinho---Can

Then its only your defence that really needs sorting. A whole new defence might I add.
I think we'd be better off with an upgrade to Ibe & keeping Ibe/Lallana (who's found some good form) as rotation/squad players. Sturridge would be good enough if he weren't broken.

And hey, Clyne has been very good for us :D

If we could only sign 3 players in the summer, I'd go for a keeper, a winger, and a midfielder in the mould of Alonso to play alongside Lucas/Can. Willing to see how Matip does alongside Sakho.

Bwuk

Firmino---Striker---Ibe
Gotze
Coutinho---Can

Can - Coutinho as a base in midfield is far too weak.

Adisa

Another game on the bench for 90mins. Definitely for sale.