Marko Arnautovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You would rather have Andy Carroll than Arnautovic? Seriously?
They're both shit but yes. Arnautovic is nearly 30 and has had half a good season in his career. Carroll is a perma-crock but I'd still just about prefer him.

Edit: when say shit, I mean for a side with title aspirations.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
They're both shit but yes. Arnautovic is nearly 30 and has had half a good season in his career. Carroll is a perma-crock but I'd still just about prefer him.

Edit: when say shit, I mean for a side with title aspirations.
Arnautovic is a decent footballer. Carroll is just shit.

I agree that Arnoutovic wouldn’t necessarily be seen as a quality signing for any side in the top 4 but he’s head and shoulders above Carroll as a footballer.

I think it would be an interesting signing to be honest.

duffer

Scout
Arnautovic is a decent footballer. Carroll is just shit.

I agree that Arnoutovic wouldn’t necessarily be seen as a quality signing for any side in the top 4 but he’s head and shoulders above Carroll as a footballer.

I think it would be an interesting signing to be honest.
Carroll certainly has less skill but i'd argue is far more effective and therefore a better footballer (being a footballer is not just about ball control in my eyes).

There is a fair bit of talent in Arnautovic but talent is almost worthless without the right attitude. Arnautovic has had a great few months at West Ham, is that really enough to warrant a move to Manchester United?

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Carroll certainly has less skill but i'd argue is far more effective and therefore a better footballer (being a footballer is not just about ball control in my eyes).

There is a fair bit of talent in Arnautovic but talent is almost worthless without the right attitude. Arnautovic has had a great few months at West Ham, is that really enough to warrant a move to Manchester United?
Whilst it’s true football isn’t only about ball control, Arnoutovic has been far more effective this season than Carroll. 11 goals is a brilliant return from someone who isn’t even really a striker. I’m not sure how many assists he has but I’d wager it’s quite a few as well. Whereas Carroll has 3 goals from 25 appearances which is quite frankly shocking for a centre forward.

My only problem is I’m not even sure what position he is best in. I don’t see him as a centre forward and we need better quality of the wings than Arnoutovic. I’ve watched him a few times and he’s been absolutely quality but I also have doubts over his consistency. Still think it would be an interesting signing.

Edit: I’m not 100% for the signing by the way, I would look elsewhere.

duffer

Scout
Whilst it’s true football isn’t only about ball control, Arnoutovic has been far more effective this season than Carroll. 11 goals is a brilliant return from someone who isn’t even really a striker. I’m not sure how many assists he has but I’d wager it’s quite a few as well. Whereas Carroll has 3 goals from 25 appearances which is quite frankly shocking for a centre forward.

There's no way Caroll played 25 games this season, nowhere near than number he's been injured.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
According the premier league website he’s started 16 and used as a sub 9 times in the premier league this season.

That’s just prem - not sure if he’s played any other cup games also.

Edit: I might have read that wrong on second thought - not sure if it’s 16 apps overall and 9 have been as sub.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lets see where Martial is playing at that age.

He'll be in the French League and he won't be playing for PSG put it that way.

He's not a footballer's footballer. Terrible off the ball movement. And then people on here wonder why all the ex-pro's in the media give him a hard time.
So you're predicting that Martial won't improve on his game at all? He's still not the finished article. You must have a crystal ball huh?

Hope this is just another stupid rumor. United doesn't need this guy. Rashford has potential to be a much better player and is already the bigger talent.

settembrini

What about loans, Rashford to play striker for them for a year while we get Arnautovic for a year?
Maybe, don't think West Ham would go for it.

Ultimately this kind of signing, a backup to Lukaku, feels like something that can wait until closer to the end of the window. Mourinho seems desperate for a midfielder (or two), both are full backs are in dire need of improvement, we don't have a single good right winger, there's talk about us buying yet another centre back... that's a pretty big shopping list already!

If we solve all those problems and in pre-season Rashford is still looking poor upfront then maybe we would need another signing but right now we have bigger fish to fry imo.

ROFLUTION

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not both in the line up? If SAF was still here we would be playing a 4-4-2 and only go to one striker for the big away matches...
"If SAF was still here" needs to die. He's never coming back, and we'll never see another SAF. The argument of what SAF would have done has been such a hindering to what a new manager is trying to do, and frankly he's playing in a new era too and has another approach. We can't hire a guy who have won so much in his own way, and ask him to be another manager. Imitating will never lead to actually being the original.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
"If SAF was still here" needs to die. He's never coming back, and we'll never see another SAF. The argument of what SAF would have done has been such a hindering to what a new manager is trying to do, and frankly he's playing in a new era too and has another approach. We can't hire a guy who have won so much in his own way, and ask him to be another manager. Imitating will never lead to actually being the original.
SAF stopped using 2 strikers as a main tactic 15 years ago.

He either utilized a fluid front three (Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo), or a striker with support forwards (Striker + Rooney). He adapted to the modern game and realized you couldn't carry a striker and needed forwards that linked the midfield to the attack.

ROFLUTION

SAF stopped using 2 strikers as a main tactic 15 years ago.

He either utilized a fluid front three (Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo), or a striker with support forwards (Striker + Rooney). He adapted to the modern game and realized you couldn't carry a striker and needed forwards that linked the midfield to the attack.
I'm not pro 2 strikers/forwards neither, but I'll add to this that we stopped having a main tactic to be more versatile. He switched a lot between tactics and we did see the 2 strikers tactic several times against lower teams, and when pushing for a result behind behind.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm not pro 2 strikers/forwards neither, but I'll add to this that we stopped having a main tactic to be more versatile. He switched a lot between tactics and we did see the 2 strikers tactic several times against lower teams, and when pushing for a result behind behind.
Which was my point, 4-4-2 with two genuine strikers wasn't something that SAF built the team to do anymore.

It's like Martial and Rashford starting in the same game. We do it against the teams where we can take risks, but it's not something we rely on.

Camilo

The resistance to a backup striker is odd.. If Lukaku breaks his leg in September, what's the plan? Rashford?! For all the time and belief the club and fans have shown, he's been useless.

We need someone in, and the thought of a 32 year old mandzukic who's already seen and done it all fills me with dread.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Good player, can be really dangerous on his day. Only good enough to be a rotation player for a top 4 club though and we have more than enough of them already.

Zoo

The resistance to a backup striker is odd.. If Lukaku breaks his leg in September, what's the plan? Rashford?! For all the time and belief the club and fans have shown, he's been useless.

We need someone in, and the thought of a 32 year old mandzukic who's already seen and done it all fills me with dread.
Rashford hasn’t been useless he’s a young player going through ups and downs.

ZAGREB RED

Mourinho said Arnautovic had a lot of ability and potential when he had him at Inter, but the attitude of a child, or words to that effect anyway. Not really sure he is good enough to play for a top team, he will always stand out in a lower table side. A bit inconsistent also. A squad player at United maybe, but not even sure about that.

Aloysius's Back 3

Jose needs to be more adaptive with the squad. Expecting Rashford to play like Lukaku when the latter is injured is just poor management in my eyes.

There is no reason why a manager who adapts his tactics per opponent cannot do the same depending on the type of striker is available.

Alabaster Codify7

We definitely need a back-up striker but I dotn want Marko. Too much of an arse of a bloke, will not be happy with a squad role. If we have to choose one these two, Mandzukic would be my choice, would have nothing against him coming actually. He'd put a shift in when needed.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Someone with his character will be poison if he doesn't play regularly. Furthermore, West Ham would want £35m+ for him. Doesn't make sense.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I never said anything about imitating. I don't just see why we always have to have 3 centre midfielders and only 1 striker. It's not like we can't win the midfield battle against most teams in the league with Matic and Pogba. And I am just really craving to see us play an exciting brand of football again...

Jojo <3 Mou

Jose needs to be more adaptive with the squad. Expecting Rashford to play like Lukaku when the latter is injured is just poor management in my eyes.

There is no reason why a manager who adapts his tactics per opponent cannot do the same depending on the type of striker is available.
Does Mourinho actually expect Rashford to play like Lukaku?

We've seem him play with Rashford and he was expected to use his pace and skill. However, with that Chelsea defence he was never going to be given space so his skillset was effectively rendered useless. And, Rashford wasn't able to adapt midgame because he is kinda one-dimensional. He needs to evolve/improve his game.

Edited: spelling

Last edited:

Camilo

Rashford hasn’t been useless he’s a young player going through ups and downs.
That's fine, but he has been plenty useless for large parts of this season. He should go have his ups and downs elsewhere, because he's not improved one bit in the last two years. Loan deal, then get a proper backup striker in.

MooseTheMooche

What about Charlie Adam? or Peter Crouch? hell, a lot of presence here as well. Good God, I know it is just a rumour, but feck me if that is the caliber of players that we are being linked with.

Alfie092

Be a disappointing singing even if it was as a backup...

£50 million is being reported too!! :eek::lol::lol:

JoaquinJoaquin

What I find strange about this, is that I can't see him being happy being on the bench. And that is what his role would be.

Castia

This would be awful and just adds fuel to the fire in terms of we don't know what the feck we're doing with player recruitment.

tomaldinho1

Weird one

I think he'd do ok if we played him on the RW but I don't really see the need.

kentafuji

This would be awful and just adds fuel to the fire in terms of we don't know what the feck we're doing with player recruitment.
Think its more likely just reporters throwing names at walls, and hoping it sticks.

Generally think half the players we are linked to, arent players we are looking at. Its like we were supposed to sign Gaitan for multiple seasons in a row. Then when he finally moved elsewhere the headlines were about how we'd missed out on our target.

Status
Not open for further replies.