Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

Plenty of gossip. What I find most frustrating about football nowadays, above everything else, is that the bigger the game gets, the less factual information we are fed. In other words, we know nothing. I find these transfer windows a massive bore nowadays, for this very reason.
Far from just gossip really, lots of reputably sources full on saying it.

I might meant from a footballing point of view. That's nothing to do with football, thats suits fecking up.
Yeah fair enough, just as long as we're all agreed on that :)

Cina

So what? I'm sure we could make savings right across the board. We could fly the team to matches in business class? I personally couldn't care less.

There's as much bitching about not spending enough as there is spending too much on these boards which highlights how whimsical and uninformed a gripe it is.
Maybe because we're overpaying for a player at the very end of the transfer window after underbidding for better players all summer?

Bape

This should be a good signing. He's a better option than Cleverley or Anderson next to Carrick, I expect him to cement his starting position very soon.

Cina

None of it is that far from gossip, in fairness.
I think people need to see a middle ground rather than being completely on either side of the spectrum. By the logic here you could say we never even approached for Coentrao (for example) but it's blatant we did. If that's the case, let's dismiss the whole summer as gossip, we were never even in for Herrera!

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Young did have PL experience and he didn't improve the team. I'm not sure why you consider Premier League experience as some sort of guarantee that he will improve Manchester United.

I didnt say it was a guarantee I just said his PL experience makes him past debatable in my opinion. Plus the fact he knows the manager not to mention the physical tools he brings.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Maybe because we're overpaying for a player at the very end of the transfer window after underbidding for better players all summer?

Yeah, the only thing I know is that we signed Fellaini and we needed a CM. The rest is just looking for something to complain about.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Far from just gossip really, lots of reputably sources full on saying it.
Reputable sources are extremely thin on the ground in football. Even the most in-the-know reporters are fed information - used by clubs. Its naive to think otherwise. None of these guys are ever in the room when things are actually happening.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think people need to see a middle ground rather than being completely on either side of the spectrum. By the logic here you could say we never even approached for Coentrao (for example) but it's blatant we did. If that's the case, let's dismiss the whole summer as gossip, we were never even in for Herrera!

Yes, lets. And concentrate on the football. Not some surreal version of the apprentice where we want to sack people in suits.

MUFCgal

Not really. If he didnt have PL experience then yes. Not only does he have it but he knows the manager inside out. His physical presence in both boxes alone could give us 10-12 points this season.
I agree. He's PL proven, Moyes knows all his qualities from their time at Everton, he's a goal threat and is perfectly capable in both attack and defence. I don't think we will be as overrun as much in midfield now. I think he will give us that steel.

Cina

Reputable sources are extremely thin on the ground in football. Even the most in-the-know reporters are fed information - used by clubs. Its naive to think otherwise. None of these guys are ever in the room when things are actually happening.
it's naive to think everything is just gossip too though. Middle ground is a glorious thing. I think there's a lot of bollocks too but when sites like the BBC are flat out stating it as fact, you can't ignore that.
Yes, lets. And concentrate on the football. Not some surreal version of the apprentice where we want to sack people in suits.
So ... never speak about the past? Never diss anything the club have done?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree. He's PL proven, Moyes knows all his qualities from their time at Everton, he's a goal threat and is perfectly capable in both attack and defence. I don't think we will be as overrun as much in midfield now. I think he will give us that steel.

Especially not by Everton (hopefully).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Well said mate. Its a lynchmob around here at the moment. "Sack someone, anyone!"

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

This is is like arguing with a girlfriend, I never said anything of the sort.

I think as a forum we could be less hysterical about stuff we are not really that well informed on, but as your post here shows, hysteria is the way for now.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How? Name me a better header of the ball in the premier league? Then name me a team that crosses the ball more than United?
Because it's very simplistic way of seeing things. Let's say he scores a winning header in a 1-0 match where the defense has been superb. Do you say Fellaini earned the three pts and not the defense ? Not DDG if he makes an incredible save in injury time ? All I'm saying football is a collective thing, goals scored do not equal points earned.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Its always easier to criticise from outside though, isn't it? We don't know anything about the way that things have panned out in reality, so passing judgement on the club is pretty worthless. With the changes at the club this was never going to be a smooth summer, and I'd bet that Woodward and Moyes have probably learnt a ton about dealing for players at this end of the market.
Ah Jesus weeps with ye ole "we don't know what was goin on behind the scenes" jazz.

It doesn't take a genius to work out there was feck all goin on behind the scenes man, apart from Moyesy & dick Ed playin Footballer Manager & pickin a wish list. Oh & Moyes has been doin that for over 10 years so he's no excuses..

Ask any Everton fan what Moyesy's nickname was & they'll say "The Ditherer" & he dithered all summer - same as dick Ed & we could have ended up with no-one.

Fellaini was registered at 23.06 last nite - after more than 3 months since the season finished for Christ sake. We were blessed that Powell agreed to the Wigan loan & we don't even know how he felt about bein the pawn in the move for McCarthy to go to Everton, so we could be shafted for Fellaini just before 11pm.

Ramshock

Because it's very simplistic way of seeing things. Let's say he scores a winning header in a 1-0 match where the defense has been superb. Do you say Fellaini earned the three pts and not the defense ? Not DDG if he makes an incredible save in injury time ? All I'm saying football is a collective thing, goals scored do not equal points earned.

You could say that about any player in any game then. Look at how often we score from set pieces, rarely at all, when you have a target in the box like Fellaini with his ability your chances of scoring goals increases significantly. His presence in both boxes will cause teams problems because he is fantastic at scoring in the air and clearing in the air.

Cina

This is is like arguing with a girlfriend, I never said anything of the sort.

I think as a forum we could be less hysterical about stuff we are not really that well informed on, but as your post here shows, hysteria is the way for now.
How am I being hysterical? I've said I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it's just the way the club have handled things that's the problem. Most of the football world seems to see it that way, hell, even Twigginator does, if you choose to dismiss everything as gossip, that's fine, I don't really see the problem with not doing that.

As I said, it's just as naive to believe nothing we've heard is true as it is to believe everything is true.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ask any Everton fan what Moyesy's nickname was & they'll say "The Ditherer" & he dithered all summer - same as dick Ed & we could have ended up with no-one.

While that may be true, we have been bitching about United's failure to identify and close signings for years now. So let's bear that in mind.

Siorac

People also forget that his physical presence will give Carrick a bit more freedom to push up and attack.
I don't really want Carrick to do that, to be honest. He's brilliant in front of the back four, breaking up attacks and launching our moves from deep. He's not good at running with the ball and lacks the mobility to be an actual box-to-box player so he should focus on his strengths. Fellaini, when played alongside Carrick, should be our "facilitator", the one bringing the attackers into play. And God help us when he tries to do that.

Lance Uppercut

We paid the going rate. Possibly we could have gotten him cheaper, but we didn't. Who cares?

I saw numerous "people" uttering their disgust that we were allegedly quibbling over 6 million for Herrara. Yet pay 4 million over the release clause and it's a cardinal sin, punishable by catapult.

Shark

@NotShark
I do see where moses is coming from. Constant moaning all summer for not offering enough money and not landing any of our midfield targets and when we finally do there's more moaning for paying an extra 4m. At the end of the day, we've no clue what went on behind the scenes and there should be more of a collective relief that we at least managed to get a midfielder of his attributes in.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Just listening to his interview from the previous page, he's very softly spoken isn't he?

Anyway, lets get the Youtube videos out! Lets not treat him any differently than any other signing eh people?!

Siorac

We paid the going rate. Possibly we could have gotten him cheaper, but we didn't. Who cares?

I saw numerous "people" uttering their disgust that we were allegedly quibbling over 6 million for Herrara. Yet pay 4 million over the release clause and it's a cardinal sin, punishable by catapult.
We had no qualms of paying 4m more for Fellaini when we could have got him cheaper and gave him a pre-season at United but balked at paying €6m for Herrera at the same time. You seriously don't see why people have a problem with that?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
it's naive to think everything is just gossip too though. Middle ground is a glorious thing. I think there's a lot of bollocks too but when sites like the BBC are flat out stating it as fact, you can't ignore that.

Everyone wants to sell their opinion though. None of it is free. Papers need to be sold, websites need hits for advertising revenue etc etc. You know this, but everyone laps up the gossip because they love football, and they love transfers just as much if not more, and they want to believe it.

I just find it slightly ridiculous for people to criticise anything based on hearsay.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair to Fellaini... he should be judged as 23.5m signing... our incredibly poor lack of planning isn't his fault after all.

What's the difference between the judgment levels for a 27.5m and a 23.5m player mind? Answers on a postcard

Cina

Everyone wants to sell their opinion though. None of it is free. Papers need to be sold, websites need hits for advertising revenue etc etc. You know this, but everyone laps up the gossip because they love football, and they love transfers just as much if not more, and they want to believe it.

I just find it slightly ridiculous for people to criticise anything based on hearsay.
How do you know it's all hearsay though?

Siorac

To be fair to Fellaini... he should be judged as 23.5m signing... our incredibly poor lack of planning isn't his fault after all.

What's the difference between the judgment levels for a 27.5m and a 23.5m player mind? Answers on a postcard
No, he shouldn't. The management saw fit to pay 27.5m for him which means they see him as a key player and someone who'll be a mainstay of our midfield for years. Any less than that and he's a failure.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You could say that about any player in any game then. Look at how often we score from set pieces, rarely at all, when you have a target in the box like Fellaini with his ability your chances of scoring goals increases significantly. His presence in both boxes will cause teams problems because he is fantastic at scoring in the air and clearing in the air.
I definitely agree with that Ramshock, although the quality of the crosses will have to drastically improve (RVP has to take the set pieces, no other way about it). He could have a great scoring record this season for Utd and all his goals could mean nothing if the defense is leaking them was basically my pt. He'll bring a welcome threat inside and even outside the box with his shooting. He is easily the second best midfielder of the club right now.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned

You don't think its a little bit mental that we could have had the player 4 weeks ago, playing in preseason, settling in and getting used to the team then being able to play against Chelsea and Liverpool all for 4 million cheaper?

Prices don't bother me, but stupidity certainly does because I can't think of any reason why we've done it this way round. I think its fairly obvious we've always been in for him, Moyes as said we were after two midfielders and was led to believe that Fellaini was always one of them. So why not tie that up weeks ago.

I'm excited by the player because I think he's good and will do really well for us and surprise a few people. But they way we've gone about it is just utterly perplexing to be honest.

Chabon

Have to admit I'm also very confused by this, not least because Fellaini (at this stage) is a much more established player. We overpaid badly for him, and had we paid what it would have taken to get Herrera we would have overpaid hideously for him. Why is it unacceptable to get shafted by Everton but would have been brilliant to get shafted by Bilbao?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
How am I being hysterical?

That's kind of a hysterical reaction to the assertion we shouldn't believe the print media.

This window has been slightly more transparent than a few recently, but not really any different in terms of activity, that's pretty much a fact? Also it's been one that answered an age old question, a new type of CM, which is also a fact. I'm happy with that and not going to get too worked up about the mechanism for now, even if it is a disaster, I'm willing to give them one shoddy window to get their act together as the bottom line is quite good. We have a decent lump in CM.

Ramshock

RVP doesn't have to take set pieces he prefers it doesnt he? But I do agree we dont have enough great set piece takers. Another reason I wanted Baines was for his delivery especially considering how he and Fellaini played together.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
We had no qualms of paying 4m more for Fellaini when we could have got him cheaper and gave him a pre-season at United but balked at paying €6m for Herrera at the same time. You seriously don't see why people have a problem with that?
You don't know how much more Bilboa wanted for Herrera. It certainly was going to me more (including tax) than this "buyout clause".
But now you want to use that as a stick to beat a player who will be playing for us?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
As I said, it's just as naive to believe nothing we've heard is true as it is to believe everything is true.
The difference being that the people who side with believing nothing aren't getting emotional and forming opinions based on gossip. Football is going the same way as wrestling. The drama is now more important than the thing itself.

Ramshock

The club havent spoken about it yet lets wait and see. Friday should be interesting.

gaz1185

We probably haven't even paid anything near his release clause fee, yet.

I can see this deal having a few add-ons in there, if we've paid over £20m upfront I'd be very surprised. People fail to release that if we paid the clause we would have had to pay the £23.5m upfront, this way we save money in the immediate future, but yes potentially will end up paying more in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.