Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

:lol: He's still young and learning isn't he ?
I've never actually seen a good football from him (no offense jake, you'll get there), it's generally just a one line "yeah this seems the cool/popular thing to say here, this'll look good to all the seniors".

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Carrick's 32, even if Fellaini, by some unforeseen wizardry, turns out to be actually good enough for Manchester United, we're still not 'sorted for years to come'.
Fellaini's 25 years old so that's the "defensive side of our midfield sorted for years to come."

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Actually if you read my post in other threads you'll see that I think the transfer window (in terms of players) turned out pretty well for the club, it's the shambolic handling of it that's the problem. You're a young lad always trying to impress on here jake, it was always inevitable that you'd that the super positive never criticize our club approach to do that, I guess.

:lol: who am I trying to impress? And how?

Siorac

Fellaini's 25 years old so that's the "defensive side of our midfield sorted for years to come."
Again, the only other player who can do a defensive job in midfield is 32. So it's NOT sorted. Y'know, there were all these threads how we shouldn't rely on Carrick being fit for an entire season. And he's a markedly superior player to Fellaini in just about every aspect except aerial threat so the idea that Fellaini will be our main man for years with nobody else necessary is scary.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Actually if you read my post in other threads you'll see that I think the transfer window (in terms of players) turned out pretty well for the club, it's the shambolic handling of it that's the problem. You're a young lad always trying to impress on here jake, it was always inevitable that you'd that the super positive never criticize our club approach to do that, I guess.
Its always easier to criticise from outside though, isn't it? We don't know anything about the way that things have panned out in reality, so passing judgement on the club is pretty worthless. With the changes at the club this was never going to be a smooth summer, and I'd bet that Woodward and Moyes have probably learnt a ton about dealing for players at this end of the market.

Cina

Its always easier to criticise from outside though, isn't it? We don't know anything about the way that things have panned out in reality, so passing judgement on the club is pretty worthless. With the changes at the club this was never going to be a smooth summer, and I'd bet that Woodward and Moyes have probably learnt a ton about dealing for players at this end of the market.
Come on now, you can't look back on this window and especially yesterday and not come to the conclusion that this was all handled very badly.

I don't blame Moyes, not his fault.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Fellaini is a good signing, its a shame it has come after what has been one hell of a clusterfeck of a summer though. Woodward needs sacking after this debacle, people blaming Moyes are strange.

Our first XI is very strong, I'd say the strongest in the league, but injuries in midfield could cripple us. Let's hope Carrick stays fit.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Come on now, you can't look back on this window and especially yesterday and not come to the conclusion that this was all handled very badly.

I don't blame Moyes, not his fault.
I haven't reached any conclusion. How can we, given the fact that we have no information to work with?

What is the end result? Rooney still here. Nani still here. A midfielder added that gives us a lot of things we don't already have. When the dust settles and emotions calm down, the end result is satisfactory.

Cina

I haven't reached any conclusion. How can we, given the fact that we have no information to work with?

What is the end result? Rooney still here. Nani still here. A midfielder added that gives us a lot of things we don't already have. When the dust settles and emotions calm down, the end result is satisfactory.
And by my posts in the other thread, that's basically my conclusion about our team.

I'm talking about the club here, and there's plenty going around that shows we fecked up in lots of areas. Herrera especially was shambolic.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Very pleased with this signing. Finally I can feel a bit safer when going into away or big games with Carrick and Fellaini in CM, instead of Cleverley who's a wonderful young player but a bit liability on defensive duty.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Overpaid by £10 million. Decent player who'll improve our team and squad. Not to the level we should be aspiring for though. Amateur stuff from Moyes and we all know about Woodward.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Yep, a bit of bite added to a side that strolled to the league.

The idea that Moyes is shit is a good early runner for the newspapers so they will paint any situation to look like crisis at United. Only a madman would actually believe the versions printed, especially this early. I'll be not judging him for a while and at that it will be on the team's performance not his transfers, but saying that, he's signed the CM that Fergie wouldn't, despite us needing one for a while now.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm not too happy with what we ended up paying for Fellaini, but I am happy with the signing itself. He's the type of player that opposition will fear coming up against by his presence alone, which is something we've lacked in midfield for a long time now. He's good on the ball, great at intercepting passes and bullying the opposition. He also offers us some goals from midfield and he'll be especially a danger from set-pieces and will be an asset defending them.

It'll be exciting to see what kind of partnerships we can form. Carrick/Fellaini, Cleverly/Fellaini, Anderson/Fellaini, Cleverly/Anderson/Fellaini, Carrick/Anderson/Fellaini.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Overpaid by £10 million. Decent player who'll improve our team and squad. Not to the level we should be aspiring for though. Amateur stuff from Moyes and we all know about Woodward.

A player who will improve the team is not something we should aspire to? That makes the sum of total of no sense.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm not too happy with what we ended up paying for Fellaini, but I am happy with the signing itself. He's the type of player that opposition will fear coming up against by his presence alone, which is something we've lacked in midfield for a long time now. He's good on the ball, great at intercepting passes and bullying the opposition. He also offers us some goals from midfield and he'll be especially a danger from set-pieces and will be an asset defending them.

It'll be exciting to see what kind of partnerships we can form. Carrick/Fellaini, Cleverly/Fellaini, Anderson/Fellaini, Cleverly/Anderson/Fellaini, Carrick/Anderson/Fellaini.

Siorac

A player who will improve the team is not something we should aspire to? That makes the sum of total of no sense.
It's debatable that he will improve the team, you can't just take that for granted.

shaggy

We signed him for £30 million and for that I'd expect a potentially world class talent which Fellaini is not. He's not good enough to help us challenge Europe's top clubs.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Why? You think MUFC can't absorb what you consider the excess? Do you give a shit about any of the other running costs of the multi million pound multinational sports club?

MUFCgal

So you admit he will improve the team, but also he isn't what we should aspire to? That doesn't make sense to me.

He will improve us, especially in big games where we tend to get overrun in midfield. He's not pretty, he may have huge hair but he will give us something we've lacked for a while. I don't see us getting bullied in midfield at all now. He will change that.

shaggy

Why? You think MUFC can't absorb what you consider the excess? Do you give a shit about any of the other running costs of the multi million pound multinational sports club?
We've seen it with Anderson. We can't just write off big signings like City can. He'll now be a main part of our midfield for years even if he isn't really good enough... like Anderson.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We signed him for £30 million and for that I'd expect a potentially world class talent which Fellaini is not. He's not good enough to help us challenge Europe's top clubs.

But we did challenge the top clubs last year and this chap in your own words improves the team. So again, you are making no sense.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
And by my posts in the other thread, that's basically my conclusion about our team.

I'm talking about the club here, and there's plenty going around that shows we fecked up in lots of areas. Herrera especially was shambolic.
Plenty of gossip. What I find most frustrating about football nowadays, above everything else, is that the bigger the game gets, the less factual information we are fed. In other words, we know nothing. I find these transfer windows a massive bore nowadays, for this very reason.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We've seen it with Anderson. We can't just write off big signings like City can. He'll now be a main part of our midfield for years even if he isn't really good enough... like Anderson.

You are writing him off before he's kicked a ball for us. Nice.

Siorac

Come on moses, we could have had him for 4.5m less. I'm all for pushing the boat out and paying what's necessary for a player that the manager wants but needlessly overpaying is just stupid.

shaggy

You are writing him off before he's kicked a ball for us. Nice.
I've seen him play plenty of times and I don't think he is good enough.
But we did challenge the top clubs last year and this chap in your own words improves the team. So again, you are making no sense.
Improving our midfield doesn't take much.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Absolute drivel. Nothing like Anderson in any respect whatsoever. In fact you couldnt have picked a worse player to make your arguement with.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

That money will probably pay off as he's being more consistent with each passing season.

25 is still a good age to step to club like this one and improve even more than in Everton.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
We paid 27.5m with minutes to go on the deadline for a player we could've had months earlier for 4m less?

I meant from a footballing point of view. That's nothing to do with football, thats suits fecking up.

Siorac

Not really. If he didnt have PL experience then yes. Not only does he have it but he knows the manager inside out. His physical presence in both boxes alone could give us 10-12 points this season.
Young did have PL experience and he didn't improve the team. I'm not sure why you consider Premier League experience as some sort of guarantee that he will improve Manchester United.

Brophs

The One and Only
Fellaini's better than what we already have and gives us more options but that only really highlights the problems we had there beforehand. He's a decent-ish player with an inflated price tag. That we've paid £4m more than his release clause is probably the most worrying thing in all of this deadline madness but that's not his fault. As I've said all along, my biggest concern about signing him is the possibility that our style of play might suffer to play to (some of) his strengths.

Oh well. We're better off than we were last week, even if not by as much as we would have wanted.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I've seen him play plenty of times and I don't think he is good enough.

Improving our midfield doesn't take much.

Correction you have seen him play for Everton plenty of times. He was the shining diamond in a bucket of coal at Everton here he will be surrounded by better players and the focus of the play wont be always on him.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Come on moses, we could have had him for 4.5m less. I'm all for pushing the boat out and paying what's necessary for a player that the manager wants but needlessly overpaying is just stupid.

So what? I'm sure we could make savings right across the board. We could fly the team to matches in business class? I personally couldn't care less.

There's as much bitching about not spending enough as there is spending too much on these boards which highlights how whimsical and uninformed a gripe it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.