Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
People should relax. It may be more than the release clause but even the main papers can't agree what that was, they also can't agree whether the extra fee to standard liege (I think it was them) was to be paid on top of that and by whom. Also the release clause would have to be paid in one go. The 27m certainly will not, and it will also involve payments that are add ons for our success.
That is always the way for us. It was for rvp also, everyone mentions we paid 24m for him ignoring it was actually 21m plus add ons (which I expect we Probably have to pay now for winning league.
Who on here has finance for their car? ( Oh yes, this is a RAWK life meets football analogy). When you pay for your car over a few years you always pay more for it, because it benefits you to keep cash in the bank.

fellaini will be a very good player, he's already proven it in the premier league.

This club won't miss 4m in the slightest, it would have gone to a glazer dividend anyway. Chelsea and city fans don't moan and they have paid at least 4m over the odds for every player they have bought in the last 5 years. Arse over pay for ozil but you don't hear them moaning. Big clubs have to pay big amounts when everyone knows what you need

Siorac

My attitude was if we're going to kick Cleverley out of the first team it should be for someone truly world class, much like Van Persie's quality was what justified demoting Danny. Fabregas or bust, in other words. Considering the stick Moyes is getting for signing just the one CM, it stands to reason that he simply couldn't take that attitude because of our moaning gobshite fanbase.
Wouldn't go as far as saying Fábregas or bust; a definite improvement on Cleverley would have done it for me. Fellaini, however, isn't that player: he's different to Cleverley, better at some things, worse at others. He will not improve our team's quality, he's merely an extra body who can be a slightly better deputy for Carrick than Jones. But at 27.5m he can't really be a squad player.

This means the midfield still isn't sorted; next summer Carrick, Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand will all be a year older, Van Persie will be 31 as well... the core of the squad is aging and it will be hard to properly replace them. Well, maybe with the exception of the CBs, if Smalling, Evans and Jones all fulfil their potential.

Shark

@NotShark
I think that people will take to Fellaini a lot quicker than they did to Carrick. Although I currently rate Carrick higher, I think that Fellaini has more of a presence about him. As in, fans will definitely have a better idea of what he does for us on the pitch, as opposed to Carrick.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
This is a good transfer for us. Yes, we fecked up but he will add some grit in the team. I'd be quite happy for us to give Adnan a chance to be honest. He could give us that creativity in addition to Anderson and maybe Cleverly. Fellaini will surprise some folks i'm petty sure of that. He certainly offers a goal threat from the midfield which we've lacked for a good while now. He can play in a number of positions and he'll be valuable in either box. He's not the finished article and will be used differently to what he was at Everton - apart from the odd rare occasion. Also he WANTS to play here and i'm sure will show that on the pitch.

Our summers been a disaster but it's gone. Hopefully by the time I write this Woodwood will have gone :) ...shameless bastard...and we move on

Cina

I think with Fellaini and Carrick as a platform we can do what we want with the front 4. And we have enough creativity in the squad in my opinion, just unlocking it is now Moyes' job.
Yeah there is, my point was that with Fabregas we'd be far less reliant on that happening. Rooney, Kagawa and Nani are our most creative footballers and there have been question marks over all three this summer. Hopefully things improve with them now.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Why was this thread full of moaning kept open and the actual thread where real things were being discussed is closed? Bizarre.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I do too, I don't really blame the club for Fabregas, except making it so public was a bit silly is all. I'd have been a lot more confident about using a player like Fellaini in midfield if we had someone as absurdly creative as Fabregas in there too, and a three man midfield with them and Carrick would've been great in the big games. It's a shame it was never possible. I'm not sure Carrick and Fellaini alone is going to solve creativity issues, that's why we need Kagawa & Rooney more involved and/or our wingers to get back to form now.
That three than midfield would have taken away one of Uniteds best aspects though, two potentially world class number 10's in Kagawa/Rooney.

I don't think we would have ever really moved to a 4-3-3 like that given the players we have. Fellaini coming in is exactly what we needed, more than a creative midfielder we needed some solidity in the midfield. Ideally it would have been someone like Vidal but Fellaini isn't a bad option.

Carrick and Fellaini together will give an excellent platform for the four attackers to play from. We just need virtually every one of them to sort their shit out and get back to close to their best

StuCol

Chimp
I welcome Fellaini. I voted for him as the 'realistic' signing that we should get in that poll at the beginning of the window. I think he can do a fantastic job for us and wish him all the luck in the world. He is a Manchester United player now. I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I'm happy with this signing in isolation, he adds another thing for teams to consider to a team which already has a large number of considerable assets. I think he'll grow in stature at Old Trafford. Shame we were utterly moronic in the window though because we did need more.

Cina

That three than midfield would have taken away one of Uniteds best aspects though, two potentially world class number 10's in Kagawa/Rooney.

I don't think we would have ever really moved to a 4-3-3 like that given the players we have. Fellaini coming in is exactly what we needed, more than a creative midfielder we needed some solidity in the midfield. Ideally it would have been someone like Vidal but Fellaini isn't a bad option.

Carrick and Fellaini together will give an excellent platform for the four attackers to play from. We just need virtually every one of them to sort their shit out and get back to close to their best
I'd have preferred Carrick & Fabregas with Fellaini as a squad player who we use when we rest them and want a midfield three. That's why I said "big games" with the midfield three thing, not always. We've sacrificed key players to accommodate three man midfields in big games before, it's not a big deal, almost a necessity really.

Still, all hindsight really, not worth focusing on now.

gaz1185

Personally, I think we would have gotten both if it was possible, but one of them might have been the sum total either. Although they are different, the squad could be used to accommodate either to good effect? Anything is possible.
I think we were always after both and have stated all summer that Fellaini was a separate target from the likes of Fabregas & Herrera. Jonathan Northcroft had a interview early on in the summer with Moyes who stated he wanted a DM and a CM who can create but also add goals to the team - Fellaini was always the DM he wanted.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Moyes also must have had some doubts seeing as the signing was clearly a panic one at the last minute. Moyes was wary of paying £24 million for him weeks ago and in the end buckled as buying no one would have been worse.

Walcott would improve the team. Doesn't mean I particularly want him here.
That's a fair point man, but I have a feelin Moyesy didn't want to go back & raid Everton because its kind of a cliché for a manager to raid the best players of their previous club - comfort purchases type of thing, but he brought half of Everton with him anyway..

Also, he probably thought there must be a better alternative out there - as there is in all walks of life, so its just human nature for him to try something outside the box!

As regards to Fellaini's price-tag. Moyes bought him for Everton £18m (add-ons included) & that was 5 years ago & he's a helluva better player than he was then, so of course his price is gonna be higher than £18m - regardless of Everton bein over-charged in the first place...

£25m for him is a reasonable price, considering he's 5 years more experienced & one of Belgium's key stand-out players with 60 caps too & that shit inflates transfer fees most of the time!

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Truth is with all this megamillion transfers today it's really hard to get good/great player for his true value.

You've all heard of Alen Halilović, Dinamo recieved and accepted Tottenham bid for him in region of 15m euro, but his family rejected the proposed move to London.

That's 15 million euro for a player that's 17 year old and can't get in the Dinamo first eleven let alone in Tottenhams.

He's talented for sure, but talented enough to command such a fee? Don't think so.

Same with all this other transfers, if clubs see they can get extra millions for the player of course they'll try to milk potential buyer as much as they can.

Fellaini is PL proven player, can cover multiple positions, has height and great technique for that height, can score and isn't afraid of putting up a fight, for me that's enough to consider him great buy for United.

Sure we've paid few extra millions, but who cares as long as we got a player that we lacked in the middle of the pitch for so long.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'd have preferred Carrick & Fabregas with Fellaini as a squad player who we use when we rest them and want a midfield three. That's why I said "big games" with the midfield three thing, not always. We've sacrificed key players to accommodate three man midfields in big games before, it's not a big deal, almost a necessity really.

Still, all hindsight really, not worth focusing on now.
It would be counter-attacking suicide. Carrick and Cleverley have completed 5 tackles between them (MC 2, TC 3) in their three games so far this season. Fellaini has already made 18 tackles and won 16 aerial duels.

Statistically the cat is out of the bag that Michael Carrick only tackles when he thinks he needs to. That can be very dangerous.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It would be counter-attacking suicide. Carrick and Cleverley have completed 5 tackles between them (MC 2, TC 3) in their three games so far this season. Fellaini has already made 18 tackles and won 16 aerial duels.

Statistically the cat is out of the bag that Michael Carrick only tackles when he thinks he needs to. That can be very dangerous.
Carrick has made 6 to be fair, but I completely agree with you that Fellaini was the type we needed.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Carrick has made 6 to be fair, but I completely agree with you that Fellaini was the type we needed.
Sorry, should have said according to Whoscored. More weight to the fact that their shit is slipping a bit. Further to the point the obvious thing to play into Carricks strong point is to move ball players toward a crunch pass past Carrick. A huge % of those will be intercepts. For me, all the defending should be doing by Carrick is literally standing between key passes while someone is closing the ball carrier.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Sorry, should have said according to Whoscored. More weight to the fact that their shit is slipping a bit.
It was whoscored man :)

If you hover over the figure it says the total, but also where it says number of tackles that's an average. So you take the two and multiply it by the three games.

You obviously know that though because you did it with Fellaini, so just a mistake

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Is our first choice midfield now Carrick and Fellaini? That doesn't look particularly well balanced to me. Fellaini will be exposed unless one of the attackers or wide players drops in to help out.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I agree. He's PL proven, Moyes knows all his qualities from their time at Everton, he's a goal threat and is perfectly capable in both attack and defence. I don't think we will be as overrun as much in midfield now. I think he will give us that steel.
He gets easily beaten by smaller players and is one of the most easily dispossessed players of the ball in the Everton team. He really needs to work on that part of his game.

Furthermore, Fellaini was dispossessed on an average of 2.4 times per game, compared with Carrick (0.8), Toure (1.2), Dembele (1.3), and Gerrard (0.8). When it came to passing, Fellaini had a success rate of 79.3 %, with Carrick (88.1), Toure (88.9), Dembele (90.9) and Gerrard (85.5) all bettering the Belgian by quite some distance.

Cina

What is the official sold price? Transfermarket has it as £28,512,000? Has it been confirmed as 27.5m by the club?
We never disclose fees so it's hard to know for certain, seems 27.5 is the accepted fee going around though.

MikeUpNorth

He gets easily beaten by smaller players and is one of the most easily dispossessed players of the ball in the Everton team. He really needs to work on that part of his game.
He's not the kind of player which allows you to have any sort of control over a game. I think Carrick will find it frustrating to play alongside him.

Sir A1ex

Is there anything we can do to persuade him to cut his hair?

Not only does it make him look a dick, but it just can't be advantageous for his game, surely?

And as for the wigs...

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Is our first choice midfield now Carrick and Fellaini? That doesn't look particularly well balanced to me. Fellaini will be exposed unless one of the attackers or wide players drops in to help out.
He's far more solid than Cleverley, why would he get exposed?

Attackers dropping back wont happen, your way off there. The main thing he will bring next to Carrick is a soild platform for the 4 attackers to play off

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
We never disclose fees so it's hard to know for certain, seems 27.5 is the accepted fee going around though.
As ever, the real details are how it is broken down by installments, how much up front. The buying and selling clubs will always put the best spin on things of course.

Siorac

Yes, we'll be even worse off against teams who press high up the pitch and hassle us aggressively. That's a big concern.

Chabon

This means the midfield still isn't sorted; next summer Carrick, Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand will all be a year older, Van Persie will be 31 as well... the core of the squad is aging and it will be hard to properly replace them. Well, maybe with the exception of the CBs, if Smalling, Evans and Jones all fulfil their potential.
I've been saying for years that we need to sign a back-up/long term replacement for Carrick (Martinez was the dream). It seems obvious that Moyes sees Fellaini as that player. Can't pretend I'm thrilled with it, but I suppose it could be a lot worse. The defense couldn't be more fine, and Welbeck will eventually succeed Van Persie as our number 9. We have a small army of hugely talented under 25s, and will only need a couple of big signings down the line to replace the quality we'll lose from our over-30s.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
This is is like arguing with a girlfriend, I never said anything of the sort.

I think as a forum we could be less hysterical about stuff we are not really that well informed on, but as your post here shows, hysteria is the way for now.

I don't think I could agree with this post more. It's absolutely spot on.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't understand the "expensive squad player" argument. He's clearly not been bought as a squad player. He's going to be a starter, I'm certain of that. He will play alongside Carrick, most probably, and Cleverley and Anderson will be the rotation options. I may be wrong, but I can't see him being below anyone in the pecking order, and could possibly be considered an equal to Carrick, in terms of importance.

He's not the star-man we were hoping for at the start of summer, but I hope our supporters back him. I genuinely think he can become a fan favourite here like he was at Everton.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Those stats are from last season aren't they? If so he played as a number 10 so its pointless comparing him to Carrick et al. No shit he got dispossessed more.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I think as a forum we could be less hysterical about stuff we are not really that well informed on, but as your post here shows, hysteria is the way for now.
Preach!

MikeUpNorth

He's far more solid than Cleverley, why would he get exposed?

Attackers dropping back wont happen, your way off there. The main thing he will bring next to Carrick is a soild platform for the 4 attackers to play off
He'll get exposed because he struggles to pass the ball.

I suspect that Fellaini will appear to play well individually - scoring a few goals and putting himself about - but it will be to the detriment of the team overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.