g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

so fellaini is the new scapegoat out of our players? get bored of cleverly lads. arsenal have giroud, chelsea have luiz, guess every club has to have a scapegoat

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Someone in the Telegraph said that he lost a header to Phillipp Lahm. Please tell me this isn't true.
He lost a header 6/8 times he tried, and Bayern aren't exactly a team full of giants like him, so it wouldn't surprise me :lol:

Sam

He's genuinely the worst player I've ever seen play for United. Throw all your Kleberson's, Djemba-Djemba's and Bebe's at me...this guy is worse. The fact he cost £27.5 million just compounds the matter.

That 'dribble' :lol::lol:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Came here to post that GIF, its amazing. :lol:

Can't believe AS refused to rate his performance last night, he is an absolute shambles of a football player.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
To be fair to him, we'll get away with playing him against much lesser opposition, particularly in the league. He was completely out of his depth last night, the Champions League is not his level, pure and simple. Still think he's a decent squad player, and can prove to be one. He's an upgrade on Anderson.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
What's annoying is he's running at a decent pace there. Most times this season he's just walked around the pitch not bothering to track runners or even look like he cares. I still think he could be decent for us but he needs to improve a great deal because his performances in the big games have been awful - much like the rest of our squad to be fair.

Blasphemy

As hilarious as those two gifs are we're all forgetting it was his fault Bayern even scored. Strolling around the penalty area without a care in the world the useless lampshade, letting Schweinsteiger in to score.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be fair to him, we'll get away with playing him against much lesser opposition, particularly in the league. He was completely out of his depth last night, the Champions League is not his level, pure and simple. Still think he's a decent squad player, and can prove to be one. He's an upgrade on Anderson.
If I could choose between an Anderson who doesn't get injured all the time, and Fellaini, it would be Anderson by a mile. Anderson was way more talented then Fellaini is, and more mobile, despite all his fat holding him back. Also Anderson actually seems like he knows how to play football most of the time so there's that, unlike Fellaini.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
If I could choose between an Anderson who doesn't get injured all the time, and Fellaini, it would be Anderson by a mile. Anderson was way more talented then Fellaini is, and more mobile, despite all his fat holding him back. Also Anderson actually seems like he knows how to play football most of the time so there's that, unlike Fellaini.
No contest.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
To be fair, I'd take that over any other midfielder we've got pretty much. Anderson's biggest problem was constant injuries.
Yup. Anderson and Nani are probably the biggest wasted talents in the club, for two different reasons.

And in comparison with Fellaini, at least Anderson attacked the right space.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I'm lost here....Bastian(can't spell his 2nd name) scored pretty much, the same goal against Arsenal...Everyone here blamed their midfielders.
Why anyone is making an excuse for it last night is beyond me...

I said a few mins before the goal "I'm shocked Bayern aren't taking advantage of Fellaini's positional play here".....They scored a few mins later, due to it, from what this idiot in an armchair could see.

I've never rated Fellaini...Both here and at Everton....So genuinely, could someone tell me what he brings to the team?

It's not his passing, it's not his vision, it's not his positioning, it's not his eye for goal, it's not his defensive qualities, it's not his strength.....So what the hell is it?!!

BTW, I'd be saying the same thing if he was at Everton and have done if you check threads/posts on him from last year

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm lost here....Bastian(can't spell his 2nd name) scored pretty much, the same goal against Arsenal...Everyone here blamed their midfielders.
Why anyone is making an excuse for it last night is beyond me...

I said a few mins before the goal "I'm shocked Bayern aren't taking advantage of Fellaini's positional play here".....They scored a few mins later, due to it, from what this idiot in an armchair could see.

I've never rated Fellaini...Both here and at Everton....So genuinely, could someone tell me what he brings to the team?

It's not his passing, it's not his vision, it's not his positioning, it's not his eye for goal, it's not his defensive qualities, it's not his strength.....So what the hell is it?!!

BTW, I'd be saying the same thing if he was at Everton and have done if you check threads/posts on him from last year
His elbows and his sensational chest control.

Red Harry

Fellaini was poor, is poor. However he suffered yesterday from our poor tactical approach to handling the transition.

That gif showing Fellaini charging out with the ball is an example, but there were many, many more, especially in the first half. Anytime we finally got on the ball, everybody put their heads down and charged forward. Nobody came toward the man in possession, and nobody came into space near that player. If you won the ball, in that game yesterday and looked up all you would have seen was 9 Man United shirts running forward in straight lines up the field. The only out pass was a miracle ball (and Fellaini isn't making no miracle balls!) .

The right thing to do it that situation is for the players nearest the first man on the ball, get into to space nearby and receive the short pass. Their job is then to hit the out ball, by which time the forwards can be in space, and that players has more time to control an easy pass and see the options ahead of him.

One of the reasons why in virtually every situation we only had one touch in possession was this poor transition play. We only made 166 passes all night, Bayern made 698. The key to exercising control over possession is handling the transition. If we do that better in Munich, we can create far more opportunities.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He's just not a box to box player, yet Moyes consistently plays him as one. He was completely exposed and hasn't the pace to do it against the top teams.

Varun

Staff
He was absolutely poor. Though I must say am confused about what instructions he gets because he ambles on so casually that I get the impression that he's confused at times.

DFreshKing

He did not beat him as Ferdinand didn't even jump, Fellaini tried to jump for several headers and was beaten. Big difference.
oh thats ok then :rolleyes:.

The definition of the stat is win or lose the header not jump or not, pure fantasy to attach to a weak premise. In fact a few of compaints are he did not even attempt to jump but in your world that makes it ok strangely.

Fellani was poor in the air jump or not, the idea that he should never lose a header because he is tall though is daft. He is good in the air and he does win a lot and if you include balls he controlled from the air the stat is not nearly as bad. We will see a lot games of him impressing with that going forward i expect.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Is anyone a fan of his? Serious question, I'd like to know why, not that I'm disputing it, I just haven't seen a hell of a lot of Fellaini or followed him closely, what are his better attributes and where would you play him positionally?

NK86

No, you are failing to understand defending full stop. When a cross comes in you have every chance to beat the man you are marking, not stand off him five yards and let him nod it back.

How did his opponent get the ball? of course he moved, are you suggesting that is not in Rio's armament?

He misread the flight and the danger - it happens but that does not mean he takes no blame.

If you do give up the header then you can block the passing line by watching the direction carefully, Rio just let the whole thing happen as a bystander, unfortunate cause he had a good game otherwise.

You are crazy if you think that moment was undefendable so I think I will just leave it here, agree to disagree is best.

The bolded bit is just weird. Fellani is rightly blamed for a poor Aerial showing yet a CB who's main job is to win headers is at no fault when his direct opponent wins a header in the box without a challange lol.

The definition of the stat is win or lose the header not jump or not, pure fantasy to attach to a weak premise. In fact a few of compaints are he did not even attempt to jump but in your world that makes it ok strangely.

Fellani was poor in the air jump or not, the idea that he should never lose a header because he is tall though is daft. He is good in the air and he does win a lot and if you include balls he controlled from the air the stat is not nearly as bad. We will see a lot games of him impressing with that going forward i expect.
Ferdinand did make a mistake leading to the goal. However, Fellaini was absolute gash in terms of backing up his defender.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Very intelligent use of a smiley to make fun of a point I didn't even make (never said it was ok). Moreover no said that he can't lose an aerial battle because he's tall, maybe you should stop interpreting things extremely. It is a joke that a guy as tall as him and as good as him in the air, couldn't win more than half the aerial battles he was involved in.

DFreshKing

Very intelligent use of a smiley to make fun of a point I didn't even make (never said it was ok). Moreover no said that he can't lose an aerial battle because he's tall, maybe you should stop interpreting things extremely. It is a joke that a guy as tall as him and as good as him in the air, couldn't win more than half the aerial battles he was involved in.
I hate using smilies but really was at a loss of how esle to respond to your point. If you were not excusing Rio losing to messi because of the jump then what was your meaning.

People were going "zomg he lost a header to x" my respose was to the them explianing that even Rio Lost headers to midgets, you response, well he didnt jump, big difference! Deary me im confused now.

I agree he should have won more headers and he usually does. was a bad day for him but some posters are acting worse than ABUs.

Gerald G

I think some are being a bit too harsh on him. He's a good squad player but not good enough to play at the top level. When he plays against mediocre opposition he usually does a good job. You think there's a bit of hope and then we play a good team and he is totally useless. I would still keep him here though. No point selling him just yet.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I hate using smilies but really was at a loss of how esle to respond to your point. If you were not excusing Rio losing to messi because of the jump then what was your meaning.

People were going "zomg he lost a header to x" my respose was to the them explianing that even Rio Lost headers to midgets, you response, well he didnt jump, big difference! Deary me im confused now.

I agree he should have won more headers and he usually does. was a bad day for him but some posters are acting worse than ABUs.
I wasn't shocked by him losing battles when the other player was in a better position and therefore it was pointless to even try jumping. That was what I meant with Rio too, a big part of winning headers is positioning (boxing out for rebounds in basketball) and then other factors are taken into account.
Both him and his opponent going for a header and Fellaini not gettng it, is what I had a problem with.

Needham

so fellaini is the new scapegoat out of our players? get bored of cleverly lads. arsenal have giroud, chelsea have luiz, guess every club has to have a scapegoat
Me, too. Seems that Carrick has ranged through some anonymous, subpar, or crushingly average performances this year without attracting much by way of flak. Numerous reasons for that, of course. But we've learned this season how many of these players need a Ferguson to make them among the league's very best.

bishblaize

But we've learned this season how many of these players need a Ferguson to make them among the league's very best.
No-one can really say that with any conviction. Maybe any top manager could get them playing well.

Deleted member 78215

That hair just makes him even more annoying. It looks ridiculous bobbing around on the pitch.

Needham

No-one can really say that with any conviction. Maybe any top manager could get them playing well.
Agree it's possible any top manager could get some of them playing as well as we've known them to play in the past. But in one or two cases it would require a top top manager. A Clough, a Mourinho, a Ferguson, etc. And maybe -and this hurts- a Rogers.

Gerald G

At the same time it's not his fault we paid £27.5m for him. But I said it in the summer we should have went for Matic. Annoying to see him flourish at Chelsea now. The Europa league final vs Chelsea last season convinced me. I just wish we went for him. We could have signed Thiago and Matic last season for a good price. I wanted that and Anderson to be sold. But it was worse than I expected. Hopefully we don't miss out on our targets this year and we can bring in genuine quality.
We have been slaving off with this poor midfield for quite some time now. It was bound to catch up with us.

Liam147

On Probation
You basically said Fellaini can't play football, it didn't really deserve an argument in response.
Yes he can
I wonder if these two still stand by this. This weird, bizarre notion that Fellaini is good at anything, and is in fact, a good tackler. He's so obviously not. Just look at his attempt to tackle Toure the other week when he stands him up, attempts a tackle, and somehow ends up on the wrong side of him with Toure having a run at goal. Probably the most limited player to have ever been signed for over £20m.

Status
Not open for further replies.