Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Moyes seems to be relatively straight-talking with Fellaini; I think he's been told 'Just get the ball to the more-talented players ASAP' (Fellaini's mentioned this in interviews). But, given the puacity of creative talent we have at the moment, this instruction is a waste of everyone's time & can't do much for Fellaini's confidence.

Moyes is unlikely to sell him though, as the press would have an absolute field day if he did...which doesn't speak well of Moyes' confidence either.
Not necessarily. I think it is possible (hopefully) that we could evolve to an extent where in a couple of seasons Moyes may think we no longer need such an option and is prepared to listen to offers.

And as for passing the ball to the more talente players, does anyone have a map of his passes last night as I am almost certain that he turned and passed it backwards everytime, at least for his completed passes.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't think it is a stamina thing. He seems to get up and down the pitch more than any midfielder we've had in ages. I think he just switches off mentally. Clearly ball-watching for the goal. These are things that any player can improve on though, but his technique will never be sufficient for a match of that standard. I still think we'll find him very useful in the second leg though.

dannymc1309

Not necessarily. I think it is possible (hopefully) that we could evolve to an extent where in a couple of seasons Moyes may think we no longer need such an option and is prepared to listen to offers.

And as for passing the ball to the more talente players, does anyone have a map of his passes last night as I am almost certain that he turned and passed it backwards everytime, at least for his completed passes.
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszon...er-stats/41184/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

If anybody can get that to show as an IMG

binary bot
Michael Cox of Zonal Marking was on 5 Live after the game yesterday - and he posed the question of whether Moyes will possibly adopt Pep's tactics he used away against Dortmund... basically using Fellaini how Pep used Javi Martinez that day, by shoving him up front and winning long balls - thus completely negating Dortmund's pressing game....

Interesting thought - but I imagine this place would explode if Moyes went for such an approach!
I thought we did that quite a bit last night, Fellaini was just generally abysmal at winning the aerial duel.

mufcwarm92

Moyes seems to be relatively straight-talking with Fellaini; I think he's been told 'Just get the ball to the more-talented players ASAP' (Fellaini's mentioned this in interviews). But, given the puacity of creative talent we have at the moment, this instruction is a waste of everyone's time & can't do much for Fellaini's confidence.

Moyes is unlikely to sell him though, as the press would have an absolute field day if he did...which doesn't speak well of Moyes' confidence either.
Very much agree with that first bit. His big game performances will surely improve when he has someone with genuine possession and passing qualities a la Kroos alongside him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
All managers make mistakes, accept that and move forward. The team should always be his first priority. If he's worried about what press reaction will be then he is absolutely the wrong man for the job.

DFreshKing

I honestly don't know what people expected Rio to do, he's in a perfect position when the cross comes in but it's a deep cross that he'd be an idiot to over-commit to. The only ones I see at fault for the goal are the midfield for not tracking Bastian.

If Rio over-commits to that deep ball and doesn't get there (which is likely), Mandžukić brings that ball down on his chest, leaving Rio looking like a complete fool and has a clear shot at goal from 4 yards.
You don't know how to defend then if you don't know what to do. If the man you are marking has time to drop back and win an uncontested header from six yards out then it is your fault period.

He either positioned himself too far away or miscalculated the cross. It was far too easy for him to just nod it back on a plate for Swine.

He was completely responsible for that man, whether Fellani was responsible for Swiney is arguable, no doubt it could have been his fault but also Jones seeing the danger earlier could have got a yard or two closer blocking the shot.

No one covered themselves in glory to give such a simple unchallenged goal away but to just isolate Fellani shows exactly what he is going to come up against to prove himself to the doubters.

I can understand ABU's but this level of bias against one of our own players is sad to see.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I've generally supported DM so the following isn't a dig; I'd just like to read others' opinions on this:

Felli seems to be playing within himself - do you think this is his own doing, or because Dave wants him to just keep things ticking over (with short passes to other players etc etc)?

Tyrion Lannister

You don't know how to defend then if you don't know what to do. If the man you are marking has time to drop back and win an uncontested header from six yards out then it is your fault period.
You're just showing a complete misunderstanding of football here DFresh. As a central defender you can't defend goal side whilst at the same time defending a deep cross, Rio is in a perfect position as a central defender defending a cross.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I've generally supported DM so the following isn't a dig; I'd just like to read others' opinions on this:

Felli seems to be playing within himself - do you think this is his own doing, or because Dave wants him to just keep things ticking over (with short passes to other players etc etc)?
I don't think he has the confidence in his own ability at the moment, and still seems a bit overawed by the prospect of playing for Manchester United.

DFreshKing

You're just showing a complete misunderstanding of football here DFresh. As a central defender you can't defend goal side whilst at the same time defending a deep cross, Rio is in a perfect position as a central defender defending a cross.
No, you are failing to understand defending full stop. When a cross comes in you have every chance to beat the man you are marking, not stand off him five yards and let him nod it back.

How did his opponent get the ball? of course he moved, are you suggesting that is not in Rio's armament?

He misread the flight and the danger - it happens but that does not mean he takes no blame.

If you do give up the header then you can block the passing line by watching the direction carefully, Rio just let the whole thing happen as a bystander, unfortunate cause he had a good game otherwise.

You are crazy if you think that moment was undefendable so I think I will just leave it here, agree to disagree is best.

The bolded bit is just weird. Fellani is rightly blamed for a poor Aerial showing yet a CB who's main job is to win headers is at no fault when his direct opponent wins a header in the box without a challange lol.

Kag

I like Fellaini, but again, he was woeful in a big game. He seemed to lose the ball every time he had it, he was bullied by Alaba in the air and the goal was on him. Must do better. I like his performances against the majority of the league, but he's out of his depth when we play against the bigger sides. Under this Moyes team void of quality coaching, at least.

Ixion

Huge ironic cheer when he managed to head one of their corners away in the first half. Felt a bit sorry for him.

NK86

I don't think it is a stamina thing. He seems to get up and down the pitch more than any midfielder we've had in ages. I think he just switches off mentally. Clearly ball-watching for the goal. These are things that any player can improve on though, but his technique will never be sufficient for a match of that standard. I still think we'll find him very useful in the second leg though.
It's not just his ball watching. He does not track runners, does not try and make interceptions. The worst is his ambling at the half-way line when our strikers are busting a gut to cover the space he has left behind.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:lol::lol: He runs across the width of the pitch never even changing direction always just chasing the ball and never having it really under control. Ribery was probably wondering where the feck is this guy running off to.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
at that point in the game, just relieving pressure was enough.

If it was at home to Fulham, that kind of run would be ridiculous

bugmat

Not good enough vs the good teams, which is exactly who we seemed to have bought him for...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Someone in the Telegraph said that he lost a header to Phillipp Lahm. Please tell me this isn't true.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Big man for a big man.

Redo91

Yeah. Weird. I thought I was the only one imagining things. He won the ball well towards the end of the game near the halfway line on our right side, didn't he?
I remember him muscling a player of the ball in a central position about 30 yards from our goal. Maybe he won two tackles after all! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.