Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

If I'm being honest I quite liked his performance today. Is he worth £27m? No, he's not. He did a good job today, though. All of this criticism strikes me as 'I'll choose one moment in the game to prove he's shit'. Going by that route you can bollock just about every player on the planet.

What I don't like is his concentration issues. And I'm not sure he can cut it completely. The fact he didn't even follow the Newcastle player who dispossessed him was quite awful as well but I won't judge his performance only because of that.
He comes across as half-arsed because he'll track his man so far then just watch him go past him. It's easily perceived as a lack of effort and that's more frustrating than any limitations he might have on the ball. He's alright against lower-mid table dross but awful against the bigger teams. When he plays against sides who are technically good on the ball, pass quickly and keep possession well, he looks completely lost. He's not a DM imo and wasn't at all what we needed.

I far from judging Fellaini on individual games atm. I pointed out several reasons why he wasn't suitable for us before we bought him. What we are seeing now isn't a surprise.

Lance Uppercut

What the hell is that in the video that brwned posted if not an elbow? In fact he does 2 pretty deliberate and nasty elbows in a second. Just because Turner didn't roll around after doesn't mean he didn't do it. The guys a limited player and a thug on the pitch, always has been.
It's clearly his tricep. And the reason he is thrashing around is because the guy has him in a bear hug.

Plugsy

He needs to speed things up a bit, he languishes on the ball and now he's got a reputation of being sloppy with possession he'll find (and is finding) himself closed down a lot quicker

Lance Uppercut

Fair point. I'd describe that as an attempted elbow then. Unfortunately he didn't have enough space to work in there so ended up just hitting him multiple times with his arm. I think that's besides the point though. I can definitely see someone like that deliberately elbowing someone in the face. And I can guarantee you there will be examples of the very point of his elbow hitting someone in the face.
For me, he is trying to get free from the defender. Illegally, I accept.

Anyway, I think I am done with defending Fellaini for this evening. It's exhausting.

arthurka

Terrible signing... Nowhere near our standard even this season when our standard has been poor..

itso 7

If I was tasked with rebuilding Manchester United's midfield I'd pick a sick Fletcher and a thirty two year old Carrick in the 'keep column' ahead of him . He is just so ill suited to any form of positive, progressive football ....

Empire

I wouldn't put it past him hitting somebody in the Munich game. I mean if he is willing to elbow Zabaleta then no way I could play him against Bayern.
'

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
That's compelling!

Why has Moyes not been able to stop the guy?
Not excusing it but in both videos the defenders also had their arms wrapped around Fellaini and were hanging on like their lives depended on it.

bucky

:lol: How hard is Michael Turner? Jesus.
Turner should've asked him, if he wants to try it again. Pathetic player. He's exactly the kind of midfield signing Ferguson would have dreaded. No value and not good enough.

Dante

Average bang
Since Fellaini's returned from injury, we've played two out of Kagawa/Mata/Januzaj in every match other than in the ones against City and Munich. Basically, against any team outside of the elite, Moyes like to play with at least 2 creative AMs, but will only do so if Fellaini is in the side.

In every PL or CL game stretching back to 11th January where Fellaini hasn't started, at least one out of Young/Welbeck/Valencia has been on the wing.

The salient point of all of this is:
Fellaini = at least 2 out of Kagawa/Mata/Januzaj start
No Fellaini = Valencia or Young start on one wing with Mata on the other (both Januzaj and Kagawa are left out)

Love him or hate him, Fellaini adds enough steel to allow the side to feature a few more of our lightweight players. We play better football with Fellaini in the side.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
[QUOTE post: 15419197, member: 56319"]Since Fellaini's returned from injury, we've played two out of Kagawa/Mata/Januzaj in every match other than in the ones against City and Munich. Basically, against any team outside of the elite, Moyes like to play with at least 2 creative AMs, but will only do so if Fellaini is in the side.

In every PL or CL game stretching back to 11th January where Fellaini hasn't started, at least one out of Young/Welbeck/Valencia has been on the wing.

No Fellaini = Valencia or Young start on one wing with Mata on the other (both Januzaj and Kagawa are left out)

Love him or hate him, Fellaini adds enough steel to allow the side to feature a few more of our lightweight players. We play better football with Fellaini in the side.[/QUOTE]

I will corect you: we play better football when two of Januzaj, Kagawa,Mata are on the pitch despite Fellaini being in the team.

Dante

Average bang
Since Fellaini's returned from injury, we've played two out of Kagawa/Mata/Januzaj in every match other than in the ones against City and Munich. Basically, against any team outside of the elite, Moyes like to play with at least 2 creative AMs, but will only do so if Fellaini is in the side.

Love him or hate him, Fellaini adds enough steel to allow the side to feature a few more of our lightweight players. We play better football with Fellaini in the side.
I will corect you: we play better football when two of Januzaj, Kagawa,Mata are on the pitch despite Fellaini being in the team.
Without Fellaini to shore up the midfield, it would be suicide to play any two of them at the same time. Mourinho couldn't get it to work either.

bobbyf

Terrible signing... Nowhere near our standard even this season when our standard has been poor..
Cannot believe some supporters actually rate him. Total liability in midfield and no improvement on what we've already got. For a DM he has no positional sense whatsoever. When teams are attacking, he just jogs into the box and doesn't pick up anyone in particular. Absolute garbage. What some people call 'steel' is actually just thuggery.

For the money, one of our worst ever signings. Cleverley isn't up to it either and should be sold, but at least he scores occasionally and he cost us nothing.

Eugenius

Once again, the mythical "steel" argument. He doesn't really do much defensive work in the team and he spends a lot of time ahead of the play (and quite aimlessly IMO, given that his mainly quality in forward areas is when the ball is in the air). He's always played with Carrick and Fletcher who do the mopping up and have the tactical intelligence to do so. He covers a lot of ground and tries to make a lot of tackles but doesn't really do that much good defensive work in important areas, if anything he's more likely to let a man get goal side of him or give away a free kick in bad areas.

Ash_G

I thought he was alright but he really needs to do more on the ball. At the moment he's quite conservative in his play which would be fine if he was a real defensive wall but he's not. I'm also not really a fan of the way we push him up high for goal kicks, he doesn't seem to win the ball enough to justify it, would much rather us work on building from the back which is something we need to improve on anyway.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Adding steel...good one..

He rushes in covering the wrong side of the player, you want to block an opponents chances of running towards our goal not his own goal....The amount of times he just runs in and ends up on the wrong side, with the player running towards us, and Fellaini not bothering to run back. It's as much as a sign that you need of a player that's far too used to playing high up the pitch with no defensive duties

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Is this a new quote?

Fooking hell.

Gannicus

Cannot believe some supporters actually rate him. Total liability in midfield and no improvement on what we've already got. For a DM he has no positional sense whatsoever. When teams are attacking, he just jogs into the box and doesn't pick up anyone in particular. Absolute garbage. What some people call 'steel' is actually just thuggery.

For the money, one of our worst ever signings. Cleverley isn't up to it either and should be sold, but at least he scores occasionally and he cost us nothing.
Sums it up for me. I'm good with giving a new player a chance to overcome early wobbles, but Fellaini has been horrid for all except one, perhaps two matches. There was never anything about his play at Everton that screamed United quality. He's a liability with the ball and he's a liability without the ball, which doesn't leave a lot room for other reasons for him to be on this squad. And he's a thug, which we don't need.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sums it up for me. I'm good with giving a new player a chance to overcome early wobbles, but Fellaini has been horrid for all except one, perhaps two matches. There was never anything about his play at Everton that screamed United quality. He's a liability with the ball and he's a liability without the ball, which doesn't leave a lot room for other reasons for him to be on this squad. And he's a thug, which we don't need.
Fellaini will come good imo Decent on the ball (not flashy) has a good presence great for set pieces adaptable and has a bit nastiest which we lacked.

Crono

Is this a new quote?

Fooking hell.
From The Mirror:

Fellaini has not scored since his £27million summer move from Everton and was subject to ironic cheers by United fans when he made a successful pass in the first leg 1-1 draw with Bayern Munich last week.

But Moyes insisted: “His first goal will be the turning point – I really think so. Some of the stuff he has done with the ball on his chest has been great.

“I can see bits where the supporters probably want more than that. But hopefully he’ll get better, and I think and hope the supporters grow to like him because I think he has a part to play in many of the games we’ll play.

“He is capable of big goals and in Munich on Wednesday wouldn’t be a bad time if he could get an opener.
So, so pleased to know he will be starting on Wednesday.

Roundy knows. September 2013:

“When you get to work with him every day, you get to realise that technically he is excellent,” Round added.

“His chest control is arguably one of the best in the world. You can bang the ball at him from anywhere and he will bring it down on his chest and bring others into play.
:drool:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Pretty cringeworthy quotes there. Hopefully next season we'll finally have enough quality in our midfield that we won't have to see him often. Every time I see the ball near him I kind of hold my breath and look away, hoping he doesn't do anything rash or dangerous.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'll have a lot more respect for Moyes if he can admit (it doesn't have to be a public announcement, rectifying the mistake would be enough) that Fellaini was simply a midfielder he could trust and he felt the position was desperate.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Anyone can control a ball well with their chest ffs :lol: It immediately drops down at your feet, it's hardly like a proper first touch with your foot that actually requires, you know... ability!

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
That's compelling!

Why has Moyes not been able to stop the guy?
Because I'm assuming he actually likes these sort of "fighting qualities".

The two players that were most prominent in Moyes' tenure with Everton are Fellaini and Tim Cahill. Both nasty sods.

DFreshKing

I like this, good confidence boast for the beast. Smash em big man. I can imagine him tubthumping his chest in training, everyone scared shitless of the lunatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.