Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Uppercut

I'm just watching the game again on Sky Sports, and he was again very fortunate not to get booked twice.

It's understandable why Fellaini was out for so long with a hand injury earlier in the season. He's half the player without his flailing hands and deliberate elbows.
Deliberate? He must be the only guy in the world who 'deliberately' throws elbows without actually looking where he's throwing them.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Erm Gattuso effect? Gattuso got sent off 4 times in his career which are nothing compared to other players in his role ( De Rossi (7), Viera (9) and Keane (11)).
Which is exactly his point.

LR7

This elbowing issue was brought up before we bought him. It's no surprise. He did it a lot at Everton.

Fergie in 2012: "It was just difficult to handle him [Fellaini] when they were knocking these balls up to him. He is a handful, a big, tall, gangly lad, and they just lumped the ball forward to him, that's all they did. They worked from that base all the time and they got a goal from him, so it's justified".
It's weird. Can't see why Fergie thought a manager who sets his teams up like this was right for us.

Fergie had it spot on. Fellaini is a 'big tall gangly lad' with sharp elbows who is a handful and suits having the ball limp lumped up to him all game. He's no use here given that we don't play like that. He's not good at anything else.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Deliberate? He must be the only guy in the world who 'deliberately' throws elbows without actually looking where he's throwing them.
His movement towards the player was deliberate. You'd have a sense where the player is without having eyes in the back of your head. Happens too often to be an accident.

Lance Uppercut

Which is exactly his point.
So you believe he wanders around the midfield deliberately throwing elbows? Tell me, who is he throwing them at? He is, after all, deliberately throwing them. Correct?

Lance Uppercut

His movement towards the player was deliberate. You'd have a sense where the player is without having eyes in the back of your head. Happens too often to be an accident.
If a player is deliberately trying to elbow someone, they look right before they throw it.

Lu Tze

So you believe he wanders around the midfield deliberately throwing elbows? Tell me, who is he throwing them at? He is, after all, deliberately throwing them. Correct?
If you read the original post, it's saying he's got the Gattuso effect, that is - the ability to not get sent off, despite being a dirty bastard throughout games. Not any comment on his ability or intent.

He really should learn to keep his elbows down while running and jumping, I think half of them are unintentional.

Sam

He deliberately threw one at Zabelleta that's for sure, despite the fact he was the one in possession of the ball.

He's a strange player.

Lance Uppercut

If you read the original post, it's saying he's got the Gattuso effect, that is - the ability to not get sent off, despite being a dirty bastard throughout games. Not any comment on his ability or intent.
I was responding to this.

He's half the player without his flailing hands and deliberate elbows.

LR7

They're definitely not unintentional. He knows exactly what he's doing.

kps88

He's been doing this for years and somehow keeps getting away with it. I guess refs just assume he's being clumsy and awkward. He'll cost us in Europe if he keeps it up though.

Brwned

I don't know why you've quoted me but yes he is obviously aware of what he's doing when he shoves his arms and elbows in people's faces. He obviously knows they're there which is why he sticks his arms out in the first place, and he has a rough idea of where they are when he sticks his arms out there. He's not necessarily intentionally elbowing them every time, but he's obviously intentionally sticking his arm in their face and if they happen to hit his elbow then all the better it seems.

Lance Uppercut

He's been doing this for years and somehow keeps getting away with it. I guess refs just assume he's being clumsy and awkward. He'll cost us in Europe if he keeps it up though.
He IS clumsy and awkward. Agree that it could cost us with European refs. Obviously I hope it doesn't.

Lance Uppercut

I don't know why you've quoted me but yes he is obviously aware of what he's doing when he shoves his arms and elbows in people's faces. He obviously knows they're there which is why he sticks his arms out in the first place.
Just so we are clear here, you believe he deliberately attempts to elbow opposition players in the face?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
This elbowing issue was brought up before we bought him. It's no surprise. He did it a lot at Everton.

It's weird. Can't see why Fergie thought a manager who sets his teams up like this was right for us.

Fergie had it spot on. Fellaini is a 'big tall gangly lad' with sharp elbows who is a handful and suits having the ball limp lumped up to him all game. He's no use here given that we don't play like that. He's not good at anything else.
He's also deemed good enough to play for Belgium NT, who don't play like that so it's not like being handful is the only thing he can do.

Lance Uppercut

The evidence is there, just look...
He certainly threw the arm to fend off the player. Unfortunately, being a lanky goon, the player caught the elbow.

The alternative is, that a professional footballer is attempting to viciously assault opposition players in full view of the ref. Sorry, I don't buy it.

LR7

He's also deemed good enough to play for Belgium NT, who don't play like that so it's not like being handful is the only thing he can do.
I haven't seen too much of Belgium. He has no redeeming qualities imo. He's just about ok-average at a few things but the only thing I think he's particularly good at is bringing the ball down on his chest which is something we rarely utilise here and I'm glad because I'd rather the ball spent more time on the floor. For me Fellaini suits West Ham or Stoke. I don't even think he'd suit the current Everton. They're too good for him now.

Revan

Assumptionman
Erm Gattuso effect? Gattuso got sent off 4 times in his career which are nothing compared to other players in his role ( De Rossi (7), Viera (9) and Keane (11)).
That was exactly what I was saying. Despite that he averaged 3000 fouls for game, he barely got booked, let alone got send off.

Fellaini in that aspect seems to have that thing on him. Does a lot of fouls (some nasty ones) and rarely gets booked.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That was exactly what I was saying. Despite that he averaged 3000 fouls for game, he barely got booked, let alone got send off.

Fellaini in that aspect seems to have that thing on him. Does a lot of fouls (some nasty ones) and rarely gets booked.
Ah ok i misunderstood you. Apologies

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I haven't seen too much of Belgium. He has no redeeming qualities imo. He's just about ok-average at a few things but the only thing I think he's particularly good at is bringing the ball down on his chest which is something we rarely utilise here and I'm glad because ind rather the ball spent more time on the floor. For me Fellaini suits West Ham or Stoke. I don't even think he'd suit the current Everton. They're too good for him now.
If I'm being honest I quite liked his performance today. Is he worth £27m? No, he's not. He did a good job today, though. All of this criticism strikes me as 'I'll choose one moment in the game to prove he's shit'. Going by that route you can bollock just about every player on the planet.

What I don't like is his concentration issues. And I'm not sure he can cut it completely. The fact he didn't even follow the Newcastle player who dispossessed him was quite awful as well but I won't judge his performance only because of that.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think we should stop this conversation just in case any Premiership refs are reading. ;)

Brwned

Maybe you're taking some strange technical fighting POV on this Lance but I'd describe what he did to Turner as a deliberate elbow to the face. And he managed it without even looking at him.

Lance Uppercut

Maybe you're taking some strange technical fighting POV on this Lance but I'd describe what he did to Turner as a deliberate elbow to the face. And he managed it without even looking at him.
I am taking the strange, technical fighting POV that he clearly doesn't elbow him in the face. Presumably you know where the elbow is. Watch it again.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He's gone from average to improving and now back to being bad. :( He could have easily been sent off for the past couple of games or even more for the same thing, elbowing someone in the face while running with the ball.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I am taking the strange, technical fighting POV that he clearly doesn't elbow him in the face. Presumably you know where the elbow is. Watch it again.
What the hell is that in the video that brwned posted if not an elbow? In fact he does 2 pretty deliberate and nasty elbows in a second. Just because Turner didn't roll around after doesn't mean he didn't do it. The guys a limited player and a thug on the pitch, always has been.

Brwned

Fair point. I'd describe that as an attempted elbow then. Unfortunately he didn't have enough space to work in there so ended up just hitting him multiple times with his arm. I think that's besides the point though. I can definitely see someone like that deliberately elbowing someone in the face. And I can guarantee you there will be examples of the very point of his elbow hitting someone in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.