Marouane Fellaini | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Moyes' system at Everton was his level. He would struggle there now imo, is he a better player than Gareth Barry?
He isn't particularly strong for a big guy and technically he is average at best. He's 4th or 5th choice at a top team, hopefully we bring two midfielders in that relegate him firmly to the bench.

Kag

Fellaini is thrice the player that Young is. Fellaini has put in more good games since February than Young has in two whole years.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its funny how last month when he first came back from injury many people were encouraged by what they saw and wondered if he might be useful to us but now it seems the consensus is that he is shite.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I suppose it is a bit unfair to target him for criticism in a season littered with consistently poor performances from the majority of our players.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He looks like he is playing with seriously low confidence right now. One or two good games should get him back on the pace again. He showed perfect strength in his string of good games, but in this streak and low confidence he seems timid.

ManUtd43vr

Ive seen a few people complaining about this moment and ye he needs to be more careful in that area of the pitch, but surely that's a blatant foul by Cisse?
You could say that that is a lack of awareness and strength to shield the ball and withhold pressure. He lost the ball with an arguably bad touch and then he flails his arms complaining instead of fixing his mistake. That is an area of the pitch where it is natural to get pressed a lot and he didn't do his job well there.

jem

Fellaini is thrice the player that Young is. Fellaini has put in more good games since February than Young has in two whole years.
That's simply untrue. Young's first several months at United were far more impressive than anything Fellaini has served (although they obviously play two very different positions.)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You could say that that is a lack of awareness and strength to shield the ball and withhold pressure. He lost the ball with an arguably bad touch and then he flails his arms complaining instead of fixing his mistake. That is an area of the pitch where it is natural to get pressed a lot and he didn't do his job well there.
Ye it is a bad touch and he needs to do better, but it is still a foul as well!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That's simply untrue. Young's first several months at United were far more impressive than anything Fellaini has served (although they obviously play two very different positions.)
Ye but that is almost 3 years ago now!

NM

Its still a foul

ManUtd43vr

Ye it is a bad touch and he needs to do better, but it is still a foul as well!
If that is a foul, Fellaini shouldn't last on the pitch for a minute going by what he does! Yeah that's a foul, but nothing a midfielder brought to "add steel" couldn't deal with. Smaller players like Mata hold on to the ball under a lot more pressure. Believe me, I kind of believe that Fellaini might come good at United. He has the potential. But that was very bad from him and that is why he gets the criticism from people.

Kag

And that was nearly three years ago. I specified the last two years.

Loublaze

ATLien
Its still a foul
Yet he doesn't complain to the ref and no one else on the team even raises their hands. You know players contest everything. No one on the pitch believes he's been fouled. Not even Fellaini himself. His immediate body language suggests he's mad at himself..who is he complaining to? He showed Cisse the ball with his first touch. If he shielded the ball..i.e put his body behind it, Cisse would really have to take him out, get his legs first before getting the ball. Its not a foul, its an amateurish way to lose the ball. Not even Cleverley gets caught in possession like that.

NM

Yet he doesn't complain to the ref and no one else on the team even raises their hands. You know players contest everything. No one on the pitch believes he's been fouled. Not even Fellaini himself. His immediate body language suggests he's mad at himself..who is he complaining to? He showed Cisse the ball with his first touch. If he shielded the ball..i.e put his body behind it, Cisse would really have to take him out, get his legs first before getting the ball. Its not a foul, its an amateurish way to lose the ball. Not even Cleverley gets caught in possession like that.

Elbowing somebody in the back is a foul. I can't believe somebody is arguing against that.

Loublaze

ATLien
Elbowing somebody in the back is a foul. I can't believe somebody is arguing against that.
He elbows people all the time and gets away with it sometimes. Why do you refuse to accept that he was poor and slow on the ball? The area he was in is a high pressure area, right in front of the 18, you can't mess about there. The most fouls are given away in this area and as a DM you have to be aware of your surroundings. Five things went wrong

1. His first touch and control let him down, he at least could have led it in the opposite direction, i.e away from goal
2. He didn't shield the ball effectively, as i've mentioned already. His body should've been behind the ball, this is basic shielding in a high pressure area, every player worth their salt should know this
3. He didn't complain and niether did any of his teamates, a dead give away that it wasn't considered a foul. Even you can't deny this. If you were elbowed on the pitch while playing wouldn't you raise your hands to the ref? Don't tell me he's just an honest player that moves on with it because Fellaini bitches a lot on the field.
4. His immediate reaction to raise his hands directed at nobody implies self disappointment
5. For someone his size and supposed upper body strength, he showed very little of it. No wonder skilled and aggressive players brush him aside more easily than you'd expect

In conclusion, there's little to nothing to defend here, the man was brushed aside like a lightweight and he didn't complain. It wasn't a foul. Your excuses for him simply don't hold water. We won the game 4-0 against a very poor team but even still, Fellaini failed to impress once again overall.

LR7

1. Marouane Fellaini, accused of elbowing Pablo Zabaleta during last month’s Manchester derby, got lectured again by referee Kevin Friend for two clumsy challenges as Manchester United won 4-0 at Newcastle.

In a game where United were in cruise mode and committed only six fouls in all, the big Belgian was responsible for two of them before he was taken off with 20 minutes left.

His disciplinary record is poor, with 39 fouls conceded in 1,286 minutes on the pitch. Only Tottenham’s Sandro (25 in 740 minutes) has given away free kicks more often.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ng-good-thing-Wes-Hoolahan.html#ixzz2yAY8iqOp
Foul machine. Constantly giving away needless free kicks.
Awful, awful player.

NM

He elbows people all the time and gets away with it sometimes. Why do you refuse to accept that he was poor and slow on the ball? The area he was in is a high pressure area, right in front of the 18, you can't mess about there. The most fouls are given away in this area and as a DM you have to be aware of your surroundings. Five things went wrong

1. His first touch and control let him down, he at least could have led it in the opposite direction, i.e away from goal
2. He didn't shield the ball effectively, as i've mentioned already. His body should've been behind the ball, this is basic shielding in a high pressure area, every player worth their salt should know this
3. He didn't complain and niether did any of his teamates, a dead give away that it wasn't considered a foul. Even you can't deny this. If you were elbowed on the pitch while playing wouldn't you raise your hands to the ref? Don't tell me he's just an honest player that moves on with it because Fellaini bitches a lot on the field.
4. His immediate reaction to raise his hands directed at nobody implies self disappointment
5. For someone his size and supposed upper body strength, he showed very little of it. No wonder skilled and aggressive players brush him aside more easily than you'd expect

In conclusion, there's little to nothing to defend here, the man was brushed aside like a lightweight and he didn't complain. It wasn't a foul. Your excuses for him simply don't hold water. We won the game 4-0 against a very poor team but even still, Fellaini failed to impress once again overall.
1. You clearly have an agenda against him.
2. Him elbowing people isn't relevant to whether it was a foul
3. I accept he was poor and slow on the ball. That doesn't change the fact that it was a foul.

My argument is simple: Elbowing somebody in the back is a foul. Yours seems to be: He was poor so it wasn't. That simply doesn't make sense to me.

Not bothering with the rest of it.

Loublaze

ATLien
1. You clearly have an agenda against him.
2. Him elbowing people isn't relevant to whether it was a foul
3. I accept he was poor and slow on the ball. That doesn't change the fact that it was a foul.

My argument is simple: Elbowing somebody in the back is a foul. Yours seems to be: He was poor so it wasn't. That simply doesn't make sense to me.

Not bothering with the rest of it.
I don't have an agenda. I've actually praised him before believe it or not. More times than not he fails to impress. He's done nothing to change the minds of people like me who never rated him good enough for this team to begin with. Its hard for me to sit back and accept rubbish at a team I support. Fine enough lets say it was a foul and should've been given, do you have any theories as to why he didn't complain to the ref? As to why no one 'stood up' for him either?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
After watching the past few matches, I struggle to see what else Fellaini offers us other than on the attack. Defensively, he's shown himself to be woeful against players who believe in themselves enough or are of decent quality. He's horrible at covering spaces and areas, and he's horrible at recovering from situations other than through fouling opponents. His passing is woeful from deeper areas. Plus, his positioning to receive the ball in midfield's also not good enough for us.

His main strengths, i.e. his physicality and his link-up plays, seem suitable enough for a team without players who are good enough to hold on to the ball under pressure or make first-touch passes. He can't fit into our team, where more is expected and where he can't just have many players make up for his weaknesses. In my earlier posts, I've noted that Fellaini may be able to fit in if we implement a short-passing system where he can support the more creative, attacking players, but Cleverley and Anderson can do this job well, too. I've also said that Fellaini will require someone who's better at reading the game and more capable of passing the ball from the deeper areas, which highlights how much he lacks as a midfielder for the top level.

His main strengths mainly involve his physical qualities and rarely involve his footballing abilities. Now that I've realised that, I struggle to see how Fellaini will be anything other than a squad player for us.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
His main strengths mainly involve his physical qualities and rarely involve his footballing abilities. Now that I've realised that, I struggle to see how Fellaini will be anything other than a squad player for us.
The thing is though, he is not using his physical qualities/attributes. Players half the size of him just bully him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
that's pushing it a bit too far.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: at those quotes from Moyes and round.

Move over barca and bayern, sexy chest control is where it's at.

Loublaze

ATLien
Thrice huh? This is better than anything Fellaini has done. Young is wank but at least he's had moments of brilliance

2 goals 1 assist is also still better than 0 goals and 0 assists

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The thing is though, he is not using his physical qualities/attributes. Players half the size of him just bully him.
And that's what really bugged me about him, recently. He has been so weak on the ball, recently, and it's really annoyed me as to how bad he is at holding the ball up and shielding it.

Shark

@NotShark
He'll be a squad player next season, as I'm sure we'll bring in at least two CM's that are better then him in the summer. It'd be difficult for us not to.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
And that's what really bugged me about him, recently. He has been so weak on the ball, recently, and it's really annoyed me as to how bad he is at holding the ball up and shielding it.
The thing about Fellaini is that he was able to use his size and strength at Everton because most of the time he'd be contesting for the ball in or around the opposition's crowded penalty box. It was all about throwing himself at the ball, and making a nuisance of himself. If he didn't keep hold of the ball it didn't matter, all that he needed to do was put himself about.

Now in a more critical part of the pitch, the ball spends less time above his head and more time under hip level. He's a player who needs a few touches before he can steady himself to pass. And you can almost see his brain slowly ticking as he goes to control it. It takes so much of his focus that he just leaves his body exposed (for example against Cisse, in the GIF above)

Also, winning headers in the oppositions box doesn't really take skill. It didn't matter if his headers were even accurate back at Everton as the second striker. All he needed to do was challenge for it and flick it toward the 'danger zone'.

Now his headers need to be well timed, well directed, well thought out. And he struggles to do that.

I've lost count of the times he's jumped to header the ball only to completely miss it or jumped too late/early resulting in a terrible header.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Feck me the big fella gets some stick. He will be a quality addition for us once we get the team playing well.

SiRed

The thing about Fellaini is that he was able to use his size and strength at Everton because most of the time he'd be contesting for the ball in or around the opposition's crowded penalty box. It was all about throwing himself at the ball, and making a nuisance of himself. If he didn't keep hold of the ball it didn't matter, all that he needed to do was put himself about.

Now in a more critical part of the pitch, the ball spends less time above his head and more time under hip level. He's a player who needs a few touches before he can steady himself to pass. And you can almost see his brain slowly ticking as he goes to control it. It takes so much of his focus that he just leaves his body exposed (for example against Cisse, in the GIF above)

Also, winning headers in the oppositions box doesn't really take skill. It didn't matter if his headers were even accurate back at Everton as the second striker. All he needed to do was challenge for it and flick it toward the 'danger zone'.

Now his headers need to be well timed, well directed, well thought out. And he struggles to do that.

I've lost count of the times he's jumped to header the ball only to completely miss it or jumped too late/early resulting in a terrible header.
I think your first paragraph is quite insulting to both Fellaini as a footballer and Everton under Moyes. They only really played route one football in games such as against the likes of us, Chelsea etc. In games where they were favourites to win they played some really good football - just most people wouldnt have watched those games - only the games against the big teams where route 1 was implied. And guess what??? it worked. Our record against Moyes' Everton was not great, same for Chelsea, and you can even throw City in there for another big team where Route 1 under Moyes was effective.

The bolded part can easily be applied to Carrick also, but everyones tongue is so far up his arse nobody seems to say anything.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Its fairly obvious to me he didnt get a shout here. The movement of his arms after losing the ball suggest so. Cut him some slack guys
I've noticed that, too, but even then, a decent midfielder must not leave the ball so open in such a dangerous area. They must keep the ball close to them at all times and make sure that it's not easily available for the opposition. Fellaini clearly didn't take into account this danger, hence why he lost it so easily. Decent midfielders wouldn't make the ball this easily available...

Status
Not open for further replies.