Marseille win French Ligue 1 2009/10

Doogie

Fans dived in the sea at the Vieux Port as Olympique Marseille ended an 18-year wait for the French title when late goals by Mamadou Niang and Lucho Gonzalez secured a 3-1 home win over Stade Rennes on Wednesday.

The Provence side moved on to 75 points, an unassailable eight-point lead over second-placed Lille with two games left, triggering wild celebrations in the soccer mad city.

At the Stade Velodrome, Rennes striker Jimmy Briand cancelled out Gabriel Heinze’s early opener before the break, but Marseille struck back late in the second half.

Senegal striker Niang made it 2-1 in the 76th minute and Argentine midfielder Lucho Gonzalez wrapped it up two minutes later.

“It rewards nine months of hard work,” coach Didier Deschamps, who was the last OM captain to lift the national trophy, told French TV channel Orange Sport.

“The first half was not easy for us, with all the expectations weighing on our shoulders.”

Marseille, stripped of the title in 1993 following a match-fixing scandal the same year they won the Champions League, also won the League Cup this season but the title had an even sweeter taste.

Fans dived in the sea at the Old Port minutes after the final whistle was blown despite the driving rain and low temperatures in southern France.

“I was too young to enjoy Marseille’s last titles so tonight I’m going to celebrate hard,” Thomas, a 21-year-old fan, told Reuters, his OM scarf wrapped around his neck.

Police officers were patrolling the city’s main streets as thousands of fans chanted ‘We are the champions, we are the champions’.

Heinze opened the scoring with a 25-metre free kick in the fourth minute as OM got off to a perfect start in a capacity stadium.

Rennes, however, controlled the game and Briand grabbed a deserved equaliser seven minutes from the break.

The French international, linked with a move to Marseille next season, headed home from Asamoah Gyan’s cross after he was left unmarked by Heinze.

LONG WAIT

Two minutes before the interval, Valbuena found Niang in the box with a defence splitting pass, but keeper Nicolas Douchez dived at the Senegal striker’s feet.

Niang was pushed in the box by France defender Rod Fanni on the hour but referee Ruddy Buquet did not award the penalty.

Deschamps replaced Brandao with Hatem Ben Arfa and the move spurred OM back into the game.

Douchez failed to block a Valbuena strike and Niang, who had followed up, fired home from close range.

Lucho put the result beyond doubt two minutes later after benefiting from excellent work by Ben Arfa on the left flank, the Argentine’s curling shot from just outside the box effectively sealing Marseille’s ninth French league title.

Earlier, Lille moved up to second with a 2-0 win at Toulouse, leapfrogging AJ Auxerre after the Burgundy side slumped to a 2-1 defeat at fourth-placed Olympique Lyon.

Lyon, who grabbed all three points when Bosnia midfielder Pjanic netted with three minutes left, stayed fourth on 65 points and they have a game in hand.

Girondins Bordeaux dropped to sixth following a 1-1 draw at Nice which dashed their hopes of playing in the Champions League next season.

The 2009 French champions trail Lille and Auxerre by six points.

The top two teams in Ligue 1 qualify for the Champions League and the third-placed side go into the playoffs.

Second-from-bottom Boulogne, who lost 1-0 to St Etienne, and 18th-placed Le Mans, beaten 3-2 at Nancy, were relegated.
League table with 2 rounds left

Since I don't have much knowledge of the league nor did I watch many Marseille games I really can't comment on if this was expected or not, but I think I remember Bordeaux being the favorites before the season started.

Credit to Deschamps, his first season and they win the league and the league cup. Worth mentioning that he did get Juventus promoted from Serie B in his only season there and in two or three seasons his Monaco team reached the CL final.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Seems it's gone from a boring League with Lyon winning every year to something much more exciting.

kietotheworld

Just looked at their results recently, 4 wins; 6 draws and 7 defeats in their last 17 games. Christ alive that's bad.

Doogie

Just looked at their results recently, 4 wins; 6 draws and 7 defeats in their last 17 games. Christ alive that's bad.
In April alone they lost 5 league games.

I don't know what happened. Maybe they suffered a lot of injuries, maybe their key players were tired or maybe they couldn't handle the pressure.

Wonder if Laurent Blanc will keep his job.

Ekeke

In April alone they lost 5 league games.

I don't know what happened. Maybe they suffered a lot of injuries, maybe their key players were tired or maybe they couldn't handle the pressure.

Wonder if Laurent Blanc will keep his job.
I think Gourcuff's form was said to have dipped and they rely on him quite a lot.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
What a season in Ligue 1, though I thought it would come down to the final day once Bordeaux kind of slipped up, Marseille jumped on the occassion and took it, well on them

french88devil

I think Gourcuff's form was said to have dipped and they rely on him quite a lot.
Laurent Banc didn't use his bench enough in the first part of the season. Therefore, in 2010, his starters were tired and his subs were out of form when they had to play. End of story.

Deschamps, on the other hand, changed his starting eleven on regular basis from the start of the season, keeping every player motivated (I'm talking about the likes of Ben Arfa and Valbuena, who wanted to leave the club due to lack of playing time) and in good shape all season long. He also brought in some quality at very important positions (Heinze and Diawara as CB, M'Bia as holding midfielder and Lucho Gonzalez as playmaker).

Epic

Thats what I was thinking, what happened?
Blanc all along said that the maximum result with this squad would be 3-4. They did incredibly well in the first part of the season, but the games really caught up with then in the end. They've been without Carrasso and Gourcuff in recent weeks amongst others and look very far from the side they were last year.

Marseille started slowly, but had the luck of having a couple of games in hand for a long time and caught the opposition of guard in the end. Deschamps made some risky tactical choiced in the middle of the season, playing Hainze ahead of Taiwo, moving M'Bia to central defense, giving Eduard Cisse a regular role, but it payed off in the end.

Lille were fecked up by the African Nations Cup and looked out of all sorts without Gervinho. Plus he had an injury, but in recent weeks have started to pick form again and if Marseille wouldn't have won the match vs Rennes, it still would've been very interesting with Lille and Marseille meeting in the next round.

Lyon really were always more interested in European success.

Montpellier had a long fairy tale, but also probably because the lack of squad depth have now fallen.

Auxerre are just a very well disciplined defensive side, which had brought them success, thanks to striker Jelen managing to put away the few opportunities they have in a game.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Congrats Kouroux(pretty sure he's a Marseille fan).

Ligue Un has been much more exciting in the past couple of years.

Aboutreika18

I actually thought Marseille were fecked after Deschamps massive overhaul last summer.

The side Gerets built came close last season and I thought it only needed a few tweaks.

But Marseille's side's gelled together very well, although we'll see next season if they can challenge for the title while going far into the CL like Lyon and Bordeaux did. There's no doubt that Lyon and Bordeaux's squads being stretched by going quite far in the Champions League has benefited Marseille.

Mighty Boosh

Deschamps seems to be devoloping into a top class manager, all credit to him

Is he still favourite for the French job ?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Congrats Kouroux(pretty sure he's a Marseille fan).

Ligue Un has been much more exciting in the past couple of years.
A fan would be too strong of a word but yeah I really like Marseille.
@Mighty Boosh:I still think Deschamps isn't a very good manager.Some of his tactical choices are still baffling (Brandao starting and on the left,Cheyrou on the bench,Ben Arfa not more given playing time as before) but at the end of the day who can argue with a league title and a league cup.
Marseille (with PSG and Lyon) is the toughest job in France due to the constant presence of media but Deschamp (while being provided great funds last summer) delivered.A title the entire town was waiting for 17-18 years

I hardly watch Ligue 1 - how good was Lucho for them? Always looked a great signing. Judas still struggling?
Lucho was poor by his his standards in the first half due of the season due to repetitive injuries and low physical condition but once he sorted that out he's been their best player.He sees spaces behind and between defenders like no other can in this team and his vision and set piece deliveries has lead his team to silverware.

VoetbalWizard

Funny how Lucho wins the double in his first season with Marseille, having won the double last season with Porto, who are now struggling without him.
lucho is fecking quality. i have no clue why he's at OM. He's top class, easily united quality. I would have him here in a heartbeat. He would be in our first XI, NQAT.

Epic

Deschamps seems to be devoloping into a top class manager, all credit to him

Is he still favourite for the French job ?
Deschamps wants to stay at Marseille I think. There have been talks about Blanc already having been offered the job by the FA president.