Martial agent looking for a new club for him

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Rashford can't hold the ball up. He's good at running in behind. 80% of games we will have no space in behind, so Rashford is not gonna be useful as a no9.
Many of the games in which we won't have space in behind will be parked busses where good hold up play isn't necessary.

Good hold up play from your CF is nice to have, but not a complete necessity, especially if that CF is below par. Haaland's hold up play isn't that good and Dortmund even went out and bought a CF who's worse at it! (Malen). It's not really Mbappe's strength either. You know, 2 top strikers we should be looking to get next season.

Greenwood is also best with the ball at his feet running at a defence. He isn't gonna get many of those opportunities as a no9. All his best games for us so far have been off the right, cos he has more space there.
Does Mbappe not get a chance to do so when he plays up top? Martial hasn't attempted to make a run in behind for a long time now btw.

Elanga has played 2 competitive games for us.
He's looked good though. If Rashy is a reliable 3rd choice, what's wrong with a promising player being 4th choice?

None of them have shown that they are able to play regularly as a lone striker. Martial has.
What does able mean?

Having played up top and having convinced are two different things. Lingard has also shown to "be able" to play RW. He's also shown he's shit at it. Martial has never hit any sort of consistency for an extended period of time.

Therefore it would be a massive risk to sell Martial -
Selling an inconsistent player who has been shite lately and only excels at holding up the ball. Yeah, we might crash the housing market if we're not careful.

fortunately it's a risk Ole is not going to take. Because why would he? It would just mean weakening our team for no reason.
50m and his 13m annual salary are two good reasons. Also if he keeps stinking up the place we may never get rid. Right now there's some gullible people out there thinking he can come good. He looks like he can't be arsed, which is why I think he won't come good for us.

Can’t see us selling or loaning him with Rashford out.
One injury to Cavani and we will be extremely light in the CF position.
Rashford will be back around November. Oh, the absolute horror of having to play Elanga and putting Hugill on the bench if we run into the unlikely scenario of having 2 injuries in the same position within 3 months. My ass will be so clenched if Elanga gets injured and we have to play Hugill or Bruno up top for 10 minutes! :eek:

Last edited:
Many of the games in which we won't have space in behind will be parked busses where good hold up play isn't necessary.

Good hold up play from your CF is nice to have, but not a complete necessity, especially if that CF is below par. Haaland hold up play isn't that good and Dortmund even went out and bought a CF who's worse at it! (Malen). It's not really Mbappe's strength either. You know, 2 top strikers we should be looking to get next season.

Once Rashy is back, Sancho may well be our primary RW. And Greenwood up top (and Elanga for that matter) can do a lot better than that shit Martial's been serving up. He can score goal and he isn't a statue. Martial's been shit at running in behind for a long time now

He's looked good though. If Rashy is a reliable 3rd choice, what's wrong with a promising player being 4th choice?

What does able mean?

Having played up top and having convinced are two different things. Lingard has also shown to "be able" to play RW. He's also shown he's shit at it. Martial has absolutely never hit any consistency for an extended period of time.

Selling an inconsistent player who has been shite lately and only excels at holding up the ball, because he can't be arsed to move off it. yeah, we might crash the housing market if we're not careful.

50m and his 13m annual salary are two good reasons. Also if he keeps stinking up the place we may never get rid. Right now there's some gullible people out there thinking he can come good. He looks like he can't be arsed, which is why I think he won't come good for us.
Good decision-making and hold up play from our striker has been crucial to all the best football we've played over the last few years. When our striker hasn't been good at this, either because they have a terrible touch (Lukaku) or their physique has not been enough to hold of defenders (which I see when Rashford and Greenwood play up front), it has been really hard for us to play out from the back, and teams have been able to keep us under sustained pressure.

Cavani has great decision-making and physicality as well as movement, and maybe he can pass lots of that on to Greenwood/Elanga this year, but it doesn't make sense to sell the one other player we have who can do this.

I reckon Martial will play this season like he has something to prove. I don't buy the 'he doesn't give a shit' line - I think that's the work of idiot pundits and armchair body language experts. In early 2020 I remember him being a monster who was pushing us to win games when noone else was. I just think that he's a form/confidence player who got affected by things this year, just like what happened to Lingard last year.

Martial convinced me as a no9 for a calendar year in 2019-2020. None of Greenwood, Rashford or Elanga have done anything close to that. To sell him would seriously weaken us up top for me. And I doubt we could sell him anyway, as his wages are high and we'd want £50m. Where would he go? Inter are broke.

So we give him another season here, by which point our main target - Haaland - is attainable. We don't go for a stopgap like Chris Wood or a punt like Isak, and we don't stack loads of pressure on Elanga, Amad and James. We continue building our squad in a sensible way.

Selling Martial now would undermine our chances for the new year and would basically be cutting off our nose to spite Martial FC.

Devil may care

I get what you're saying, especially if we lose Pogba, but I feel like this is a window too soon for that move. Also I just have a bad feeling about Italians moving to United on the back of a good international tournament (reminds me of Darmian). I reckon Barella really benefitted from the way Italy's squad fitted together, and I'm not confident that he could come into our squad and have a big immediate impact, which could mean that we just have another box to box player who doesn't really stand out much over McTominay, fred and vdb but who is on big wages and is difficult to shift.
Barella was performing well before he moved to Inter though, but I do agree that Italian players don't have the greatest record in travelling well. The way I'm looking at it is an opportunity to get a potentially great addition to the weakest area of the team while moving on a player on huge wages who shrinks when he has to fight for his place. I like Martial but he's at an age where he should be more consistently productive but he's stagnated.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Good hold up play from your CF is nice to have, but not a complete necessity, especially if that CF is below par. Haaland's hold up play isn't that good and Dortmund even went out and bought a CF who's worse at it! (Malen). It's not really Mbappe's strength either. You know, 2 top strikers we should be looking to get next season.

Does Mbappe not get a chance to do so when he plays up top? Martial hasn't attempted to make a run in behind for a long time now btw.

What does able mean?

Having played up top and having convinced are two different things. Lingard has also shown to "be able" to play RW. He's also shown he's shit at it. Martial has never hit any sort of consistency for an extended period of time.

Selling an inconsistent player who has been shite lately and only excels at holding up the ball. Yeah, we might crash the housing market if we're not careful.

Rashford will be back around November. Oh, the absolute horror of having to play Elanga and putting Hugill on the bench if we run into the unlikely scenario of having 2 injuries in the same position within 3 months. My ass will be so clenched if Elanga gets injured and we have to play Hugill or Bruno up top for 10 minutes! :eek:
No idea where even to start. As if Cavani would be out for just 10 minutes if he got injured (I know such an unlikely scenario with Cavani’s excellent injury record in the last 3 seasons).
I wouldn’t even trust the much more proven player Greenwood yet to replace Cavani upfront for several games, and here you are talking about Elanga and Hugill.
Dream on, but we are talking about the real Premier League here, not some U23 competition.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
No idea where even to start. As if Cavani would be out for just 10 minutes if he got injured (I know such an unlikely scenario with Cavani’s excellent injury record in the last 3 seasons).
I wouldn’t even trust the much more proven player Greenwood yet to replace Cavani upfront for several games, and here you are talking about Elanga and Hugill.
Dream on, but we are talking about the real Premier League here, not some U23 competition.
Start by reading the post you're quoting.

That scenario is one where both Cavani and Greenwood get injured and Elanga gets injured mid game before November.

We should decline 50m for Martial and his 13m annual salary. What if Hugill makes a mistake in those 10 minutes in that <1% scenario that Martial would maybe not have made!?

No team needs 4 senior CFs, not even Pep and him doing it because he's overly cautious doesn't mean it plays a factor in his success.

You wouldn't trust Greenwood to replace Cavani up top for several games, yet you trust Martial to do what exactly? Stink up the place like the entirety of last season?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Start by reading the post you're quoting.

That scenario is one where both Cavani and Greenwood get injured and Elanga gets injured mid game before November.

We should decline 50m for Martial and his 13m annual salary. What if Hugill makes a mistake in those 10 minutes in that <1% scenario that Martial would maybe not have made!?

No team needs 4 senior CFs, not even Pep and him doing it because he's overly cautious doesn't mean it plays a factor in his success.

You wouldn't trust Greenwood to replace Cavani up top for several games, yet you trust Martial to do what exactly? Stink up the place like the entirety of last season?
We don’t have 4 senior CFs bloody hell. We have 1,5. Martial (yes last season was rubbish, but after Cavani I still see him as our 2nd best option upfront) - which says more about our lack of world class CF options than about Martial‘s quality.
0,5 is Cavani as even if fit he can‘t start even 3 games in a row.
Elanga is completely unproven and Greenwood is better on the right than upfront.

Polar

Greenwood is better on the right than upfront.
Hope Greenwood develop to become the CF we dream about. The RW position is occupied for many years (Sancho), but we off course need good squad players so we can rotate and rest our first choices or step in if example Sancho have to play on the right side until Rashford is back.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Unless he’s agitating for a move why let him go? Depth was our problem last season, and Martial can cover on the left side of our attack and as a no. 9 if needed. He had an unusually poor season by his standards and will definitely get back to his level this season.
Definitely? I don’t think anyone can say for sure

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We don’t have 4 senior CFs bloody hell. We have 1,5. Martial (yes last season was rubbish, but after Cavani I still see him as our 2nd best option upfront) - which says more about our lack of world class CF options than about Martial‘s quality.
0,5 is Cavani as even if fit he can‘t start even 3 games in a row.
Elanga is completely unproven and Greenwood is better on the right than upfront.
4 senior CFs clearly refers to overly cautious people that want to keep Martial because they don't "trust" Elanga to be a 4th choice backup. Cavani, Greenwood, Rashy, Martial are the 4 senior players for them.

The fact that it's not the primary position of some of them, doesn't matter. Do you not consider Rashford to be a backup RW in case of injuries if his best position is LW? Of course not! The same is true for Greenwood ability to play multiple positions. We'll have at least 3 class players (Sancho, Greenwood, Rashy) for 2 positions come November, so Greenwood being slightly better on the right doesn't matter.

I agree that we lack world class CF options. Martial isn't world class. Haaland, Mbappe, Kane should be available next year. We have to get one of them. 50m for a backup player like Martial is a lot of money.

What the hell does it actually matter that Elanga only has played a few games? We'll only find out he's good enough by playing him. Right now, he looks to be in terrific form and he seems to have the strength and stamina to play senior football. It's not like he plays a defensive position, where a 'mare will instantly lose us the game. Worst case he doesn't score or loses the ball a lot in the final 3rd. So basically a Dan James or Martial performance. How shit does he need to be to perform worse than them, and what is the likelihood of that happening?

Giggsy13

Definitely? I don’t think anyone can say for sure
Of course but his past production is a good indicator that he’s not as bad as last season. The pressure may be off now with the Sancho signing, which may help where he is no longer expected to be the focal point of our attack.

djembatheking

It shows how much of a let down he has been when you think he had a clause for winning a balon d`or in his contract. You would get laughed at for suggesting that now .

4 senior CFs clearly refers to overly cautious people that want to keep Martial because they don't "trust" Elanga to be a 4th choice backup. Cavani, Greenwood, Rashy, Martial are the 4 senior players for them.

The fact that it's not the primary position of some of them, doesn't matter. Do you not consider Rashford to be a backup RW in case of injuries if his best position is LW? Of course not! The same is true for Greenwood ability to play multiple positions. We'll have at least 3 class players (Sancho, Greenwood, Rashy) for 2 positions come November, so Greenwood being slightly better on the right doesn't matter.

I agree that we lack world class CF options. Martial isn't world class. Haaland, Mbappe, Kane should be available next year. We have to get one of them. 50m for a backup player like Martial is a lot of money.

What the hell does it actually matter that Elanga only has played a few games? We'll only find out he's good enough by playing him. Right now, he looks to be in terrific form and he seems to have the strength and stamina to play senior football. It's not like he plays a defensive position, where a 'mare will instantly lose us the game. Worst case he doesn't score or loses the ball a lot in the final 3rd. So basically a Dan James or Martial performance. How shit does he need to be to perform worse than them, and what is the likelihood of that happening?
I think everyone agrees that we should be going for a new striker - preferably Haaland - next year. Where everyone thinks you're crazy is that, in this season where we are expecting to go for silverware for the first time in ages, we would weaken our first team squad substantially by selling Martial, a striker who we know can score goals and perform in the premier league, and replace him with our first choice left winger (who is out for the 1st 2 months of the season anyway), a 20 year old who has played 80% of his matches at right wing, and a teenager who we were expecting to go on loan up until about a week ago. That is weakening our squad and our forward line for no reason.

When I read your opinions on Martial I wonder if you've even watched him. There are issues with Martial's game, but he rarely loses the ball cheaply.

Why not keep Martial for one more season and sell him when we get Haaland?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

What does able mean?

This is spot on analysis of many aspects. Great post.

I can't imagine Ole not wanting to sell Martial, he knows better than most what a good striker looks like and that Martial is not it and won't be it. We have Cavani and a selection of youngsters to fill the gap. We have no use fot Martial. But we could absolutely use 50mil to buy a CDM if we can sell Martial.

So the obvious conclusion is - nobody is paying us enough to get rid of Martial? That sucks

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I think everyone agrees that we should be going for a new striker - preferably Haaland - next year. Where everyone thinks you're crazy is that, in this season where we are expecting to go for silverware for the first time in ages, we would weaken our first team squad substantially by selling Martial, a striker who we know can score goals and perform in the premier league, and replace him with our first choice left winger (who is out for the 1st 2 months of the season anyway), a 20 year old who has played 80% of his matches at right wing, and a teenager who we were expecting to go on loan up until about a week ago. That is weakening our squad and our forward line for no reason.

When I read your opinions on Martial I wonder if you've even watched him. There are issues with Martial's game, but he rarely loses the ball cheaply.

Because Martial cannot be relied upon to get us goals. If you start him, he will waste 65 minutes putting us in bad position for somebody needing to produce a miracle in the last 25. We have seen this too many times and we cannot win shit like this. So he will be a bench warmer, and he will be so bad that nobody will want to buy him in a year. We would have wasted a lot of money for no reason. Meanwhile, if we sell him now maybe we can buy a CDM and make our squad much better THIS SEASON

bosskeano

Why would we care about that? That money has been recorded on our accounts already.
how has that money been recorded on our accounts when Inter still owe us 55m for the lukaku deal that we have yet to receive?

so they still owe us money yet they want to take Martial potentially on loan to replace a player that we sold them that they still owe us money for? Mental that lot

ghagua

Because Martial cannot be relied upon to get us goals. If you start him, he will waste 65 minutes putting us in bad position for somebody needing to produce a miracle in the last 25. We have seen this too many times and we cannot win shit like this. So he will be a bench warmer, and he will be so bad that nobody will want to buy him in a year. We would have wasted a lot of money for no reason. Meanwhile, if we sell him now maybe we can buy a CDM and make our squad much better THIS SEASON
If we sold Martial, he would not be missed at all, however, if we can use the funds to get a top midfielder then it would make a huge difference.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Of course but his past production is a good indicator that he’s not as bad as last season. The pressure may be off now with the Sancho signing, which may help where he is no longer expected to be the focal point of our attack.
no it’s not. His past production says there’s a one in five chance he’ll be good this season. Last season everyone said “he’ll have something to prove” but it looked like he sulked when Cavani came in. Same as when Zlatan came in and it’d be the same if we buy Haaland or another forward next year. Except his value would go down more and we’d have spent another £10m+ of wages.

With Rashford out, I’d only want to sell if Glazers reinvested funds. But if they would and anyone offered £30m up, I’d sell
It shows how much of a let down he has been when you think he had a clause for winning a balon d`or in his contract. You would get laughed at for suggesting that now .
Balon no. Balloon maybe, but he’d probably moan it was the wrong colour and sulk

Who are you gonna replace him with who is more likely to get you goals? I don't think that player exists - at least not without spending £100m. If we want to improve our squad THIS SEASON then we should sell players who are worse than Martial and for whom we have backups - Lingard, Pereira, Jones, maybe Matic or Dalot - and use that money to buy a DM. Without Martial we are one injury away from looking threadbare THIS SEASON - it would mean a front three of Greenwood, Sancho, James/Diallo/Lingard/Elanga, with 2 or 3 of those being our 1st subs. That looks weak to me, and I wouldn't want to be relying on that for a month. That's why it's a good idea to keep a squad together.

As of right now, Martial has shown more for us than any of that prospective starting front 3. The only players at Manchester United who are reliably more productive than him are Rashford (out for 3 months) and Bruno (who isn't gonna start in Martial's position anyway). It's too soon to be conclusive about Greenwood, though this is his season to show he can do it.

Martial was massive in our last FA cup win. It's ludicrous to say we can't win things with him in the team. You guys have incredibly short memories if that's all you can remember of Martial.

Reactions: Sultan

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Martial was massive in our last FA cup win. It's ludicrous to say we can't win things with him in the team. You guys have incredibly short memories if that's all you can remember of Martial.
When was the cup win? 5 years ago? You want the cafe to remember something that long ago when they can’t even remember things from 12 months ago?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Where everyone thinks you're crazy is that,
There's plenty of people in here saying yes to a rumoured 50m and I'm only debating you and united99 :lol:

in this season where we are expecting to go for silverware for the first time in ages, we would weaken our first team squad substantially by selling Martial, a striker who we know can score goals and perform in the premier league, and replace him with our first choice left winger (who is out for the 1st 2 months of the season anyway), a 20 year old who has played 80% of his matches at right wing, and a teenager who we were expecting to go on loan up until about a week ago. That is weakening our squad and our forward line for no reason.
We'd only be weakening our squad by selling Martial if (1) we have a bunch of injuries and if (2) he goes back to being the inconsistent player he was before his awful season.

With his lethargy, I have no idea why you would believe such a thing, other than wishful thinking. I could get it if Martial was raving and energetic. But even when he was dropped and got a chance to impress Ole with subs, he looked like all he had in the tank was jumping up for headers. Even that City game he completely bossed was due to his freak talent (phenemonal touch, close control and strength).

You could also go with a younger player who's physically ready and performing right now. I don't care if he turns out to be not good enough in a few years. He's scoring right now, if he doesn't score a single goal come winter it'll be like a typical Martial season, and that's also an if. Never mind that Greenwood and Rashford are always there as more trusted options and Cavani's injury proneness is overstated:

610/24/20H(7.)Chelsea (10.)0:0CF32'
711/1/20H(10.)Arsenal (13.)0:1CF15'
811/7/20A(13.)Everton (5.)1:3CF18'
911/21/20H(10.)West Brom (18.)1:0CF90 + 1'27'
1011/29/20A(7.)Southampton (5.)2:3CF2145'
1112/5/20A(4.)West Ham (7.)1:3CF45'
1212/12/20H(4.)Man City (5.)0:0 Knock
1312/17/20A(5.)Sheff Utd (20.)2:3 Knock
1412/20/20H(2.)Leeds (13.)6:2CF19'
1512/26/20A(2.)Leicester (3.)2:2CF115'
1612/29/20H(2.)Wolves (11.)1:0CF90'
171/1/21H(2.)Aston Villa (4.)2:1Suspension through sports court
11/12/21A(10.)Burnley (12.)0:1CF90'
191/17/21A(1.)Liverpool (5.)0:0CF29'
181/20/21A(1.)Fulham (18.)1:2CF190'
201/27/21H(2.)Sheff Utd (20.)1:2CF24'
211/30/21A(2.)Arsenal (10.)0:0CF90'
222/2/21H(2.)Southampton (12.)9:0CF145'
232/6/21H(2.)Everton (6.)3:3CF190'
242/14/21A(2.)West Brom (19.)1:1CF90'
252/21/21H(2.)Newcastle (17.)3:1 Muscle Injury
262/28/21A(2.)Chelsea (5.)0:0 Muscle Injury
293/3/21A(2.)Crystal Palace (12.)0:0CF76'
273/7/21A(2.)Man City (1.)0:2 Knock
283/14/21H(2.)West Ham (4.)1:0 Knock
304/4/21H(2.)Brighton (16.)2:1CF82'
314/11/21A(2.)Spurs (6.)1:3CF141'90'
324/18/21H(2.)Burnley (16.)3:1CF145'
334/25/21A(2.)Leeds (10.)0:0CF5'
355/9/21A(2.)Aston Villa (9.)1:3CF125'
365/11/21H(2.)Leicester (4.)1:2CF24'
345/13/21H(2.)Liverpool (6.)2:4CF185'90'
375/18/21H(2.)Fulham (18.)1:1CF187'

The 50m can also help us get a player. We could use a Pogba replacement next year (a DM would help us now, too), a backup RB and maybe even a new no1 in addition to paying that fat cnut agent an enormous fee for Haaland next year.

Losing the ball a lot was a reference to Dan James and not scoring to Martial (or both).

We don't need him with Sancho coming in, Greenwood a year further in his development and some really good talents playing much better than Martial has played for almost a year and looking ready and hungry instead of lethargic.

I get that you seem much more hopeful than I am that Martial goes back to the player he was before the stinker season, but 50m (and 13m/y salary) can actually get us a bigger improvement in the squad than losing him could be. See, I don't think Martial is ever gonna fulfills his potential, that ship has sailed. At best he goes back to his usual hit and miss and becomes a good squad player.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
how has that money been recorded on our accounts when Inter still owe us 55m for the lukaku deal that we have yet to receive?

so they still owe us money yet they want to take Martial potentially on loan to replace a player that we sold them that they still owe us money for? Mental that lot
Because that's the way both transfers and accounting works. It's standard for transfers to be paid in installments, I'm sure we owe and are owed payments on multiple other deals as well. But the money we're due as part of a deal still gets recorded as an asset even before we've actually received it. Even if they handed it over to us right now it wouldn't mean we have any extra money to spend as it has (literally) already been accounted for.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Because in accounting there are two ways to account for your books - cash basis and accrual basis. In cash basis you only report what you have actually earned. In this case we wouldn’t have reported the €55m they still haven’t paid us. In accrual basis you report when the money is incurred not when received. So we incurred the revenue back when he sold him. Hence it’s already in our books.

There's plenty of people in here saying yes to a rumoured 50m and I'm only debating you and united99 :lol:

We'd only be weakening our squad by selling Martial if (1) we have a bunch of injuries and if (2) he goes back to being the inconsistent player he was before his awful season.

With his lethargy, I have no idea why you would believe such a thing, other than wishful thinking. I could get it if Martial was raving and energetic. But even when he was dropped and got a chance to impress Ole with subs, he looked like all he had in the tank was jumping up for headers. Even that City game he completely bossed was due to his freak talent (phenemonal touch, close control and strength).

You could also go with a younger player who's physically ready and performing right now. I don't care if he turns out to be not good enough in a few years. He's scoring right now, if he doesn't score a single goal come winter it'll be like a typical Martial season, and that's also an if. Never mind that Greenwood and Rashford are always there as more trusted options and Cavani's injury proneness is overstated:

1212/12/20H(4.)Man City (5.)0:0Knock
1312/17/20A(5.)Sheff Utd (20.)2:3Knock
252/21/21H(2.)Newcastle (17.)3:1Muscle Injury
262/28/21A(2.)Chelsea (5.)0:0Muscle Injury
273/7/21A(2.)Man City (1.)0:2Knock
283/14/21H(2.)West Ham (4.)1:0Knock

The 50m can also help us get a player. We could use a Pogba replacement next year (a DM would help us now, too), a backup RB and maybe even a new no1 in addition to paying that fat cnut agent an enormous fee for Haaland next year.

Losing the ball a lot was a reference to Dan James and not scoring to Martial (or both).

We don't need him with Sancho coming in, Greenwood a year further in his development and some really good talents playing much better than Martial has played for almost a year and looking ready and hungry instead of lethargic.

I get that you seem much more hopeful than I am that Martial goes back to the player he was before the stinker season, but 50m (and 13m/y salary) can actually get us a bigger improvement in the squad than losing him could be. See, I don't think Martial is ever gonna fulfills his potential, that ship has sailed. At best he goes back to his usual hit and miss and becomes a good squad player.
I think we do need him, because Cavani won't come back straight away and be ready to start, Rashford is out for 2 months, and that means we're relying on Greenwood (has barely played as a 9), Sancho (new to the league) and youth/James/Lingard a lot at the beginning of the season. If we want to do well this year - which is what we're aiming for - we are gonna need better than that.

I don't think Martial is a hit and miss player. It's more like when he's in form/confident then he'll get you one in 2 or more, and when he's not then he'll look bad. That's a lot like any other striker we could get in. We will need to replace him if we let him go. Sancho fills a hole on the right wing and, as I see it, doesn't change Martial's role in the squad.

I think we need to be looking at building our team, and I think we tend to be extremely impatient with players we have had for a while. Keeping Martial just seems like a logical part of our squad-building, as he fits the way we want to play (and I think how Ole speaks about him confirms this), he has shown he can score goals in this league, and he does not need to adapt to our team, the league, or anything.

If we had the option of selling Martial now and getting Haaland for £100m I'd be all for it. But that isn't happening. If we had the option of selling Martial for £50m and getting a £30m bench striker who would reliably score goals and deputise for Cavani/Greenwood where necessary, I'd at least think we should consider it. But letting go of Martial and not replacing him, on the back of one bad season (which will always have a covid asterisk over it and also happens to follow a season where he was our top scorer and player's player of the year) just seems like a really bad idea - especially when we are actually looking like we might be ready to challenge for the league.

Hammondo

I think it's better to sell now, chances are next season we wouldn't get that much for him.

Suedesi

Who are you gonna replace him with who is more likely to get you goals? I don't think that player exists - at least not without spending £100m. If we want to improve our squad THIS SEASON then we should sell players who are worse than Martial and for whom we have backups - Lingard, Pereira, Jones, maybe Matic or Dalot - and use that money to buy a DM. Without Martial we are one injury away from looking threadbare THIS SEASON - it would mean a front three of Greenwood, Sancho, James/Diallo/Lingard/Elanga, with 2 or 3 of those being our 1st subs. That looks weak to me, and I wouldn't want to be relying on that for a month. That's why it's a good idea to keep a squad together.

As of right now, Martial has shown more for us than any of that prospective starting front 3. The only players at Manchester United who are reliably more productive than him are Rashford (out for 3 months) and Bruno (who isn't gonna start in Martial's position anyway). It's too soon to be conclusive about Greenwood, though this is his season to show he can do it.

Yes.

Wanting to sell Martial for 50m in this climate you'd be barking mad.

Foxbatt

Yes.

Wanting to sell Martial for 50m in this climate you'd be barking mad.
Especially with Rashford out for a few months. We are going to rely on an old Cavani and a youngster in Greenwood? Martial had a terrible season but the previous season he was great. He certainly has the ability to be among the top players. It would be stupid to sell him unless we can replace him this season with a better player.
Sometimes I wonder if some people just don't want United to win anything?

Raven

1212/12/20H(4.)Man City (5.)0:0Knock
1312/17/20A(5.)Sheff Utd (20.)2:3Knock
252/21/21H(2.)Newcastle (17.)3:1Muscle Injury
262/28/21A(2.)Chelsea (5.)0:0Muscle Injury
273/7/21A(2.)Man City (1.)0:2Knock
283/14/21H(2.)West Ham (4.)1:0Knock

You can keep writing essays but everything in them will still be shit. You should save yourself some time and effort by shortening them.

The United

So two strikers? One old and injury prone and another not ready who is currently a better option on the right. Seems sensible to sell then.
And, both of them outperformed Martial last year and Marital was injured for many months.

The one thing people forget is that Martial does not tend to do well when being rotated. I am not against Martial staying.

But, I would sell him if someone pays a decent fee this season.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think we do need him, because Cavani won't come back straight away and be ready to start, Rashford is out for 2 months, and that means we're relying on Greenwood (has barely played as a 9), Sancho (new to the league) and youth/James/Lingard a lot at the beginning of the season. If we want to do well this year - which is what we're aiming for - we are gonna need better than that.
  • Greenwood had 15 appearances up top last season.
  • Greenwood and Elanga have played the entire pre season and taken turns up top.
  • Martial had a shit season followed by serious injury he just returned from.
  • Elanga and Greenwood are in form right now
Where's the logic in expecting Martial to perform better at the start of the season? Because that's the implication when you say we need him for the beginning of the season due to Rashy's injury.

Cavani will be back this week, he'll probably not start against Leeds and that's about it.

I don't think Martial is a hit and miss player. It's more like when he's in form/confident then he'll get you one in 2 or more, and when he's not then he'll look bad.
That's a hit and miss player, because you never know when Martial will go on his half a season near dry spell unless you find out by playing him. If there was litmus/pregancy test for Martial that could tell us beforehand then you'd have a point.

That's a lot like any other striker we could get in. We will need to replace him if we let him go. Sancho fills a hole on the right wing and, as I see it, doesn't change Martial's role in the squad.
Sancho's played on the left plenty for Dortmund and actually has better stats there. If Cavani's fit, Sancho, Rashy, Mason will compete for 2 positions. I would add Elanga (and Ole is considering it too). If Greenwood or Elanga are needed up top, you play Sancho and Rashy on the wing. How is Martial irreplaceable here?

I think we need to be looking at building our team, and I think we tend to be extremely impatient with players we have had for a while. Keeping Martial just seems like a logical part of our squad-building, as he fits the way we want to play (and I think how Ole speaks about him confirms this)
Managers say a lot of shit, including Ole. I think we can agree that if he was honest about Martial last season he wouldn't have said a single positive thing. Didn't he say "Donny played well" a couple of times too?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
£60m up front, no way should we be selling him cheap. They're desperate.
Nobody is paying us 60m after the season he just had and the fact he's not first choice anymore either. Nobody at all. Had we sold him last summer then maybe we would have got around that I suppose.

40-45m tops. If Inter offer anymore I'd bite their hands off as we'd be getting our money back which I'd say is a result for a very inconsistent player.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
£60m up front, no way should we be selling him cheap. They're desperate.
They're looking to get as much money back as possible, I don't see them paying a big lump sum for Martial.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can't believe someone offered 50m. Give me the coordinates and I'll take him myself.

Cavani, Greenwood, Elanga and Rashford are all better options up top than Martial.
Rashy, Greenwood, Sancho, Elanga, Pogba and Amad deserve to be ahead of Martial for the wide positions.

Martial's only reason for being in the squad would be because he has the second best holdup play (after Cavani). 50m and getting rid of his ridiculous salary is too much to pass up on for player like that.

We'll get a CF next year. Someone like Haaland is actually not that great at receiving the ball with his back to the goal, so we might as well get used to playing with CFs that don't have that one trait Martial is second best at.
It’s posts like this that make it impossible to debate about Martial. It’s just plainly nonsense.