Martial agent looking for a new club for him

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is £40m for Abraham the same £40m for Martial? :lol:
Mad isn’t it. I know English tax is a thing but there’s some obscene fees being thrown around for average players. Martial is worth 40m in this market, easily.

Suedesi

If we are doing this, this has to be a swap for Lautaro.

Maybe we can give them Matic or Lingard to make up the difference.
Martial is easily a better player than Lautaro.

This thread is complete madness.

Next we'll try to exchange Martial for Icardi by the looks of it

dinostar77

Lautaro Martinez is a much better striker than Martial.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The caf would make that deal, it rates players like Icardi and Paredes for some strange reason.

Polar

Not very smart to sell him now. His performance and market value can only go upward compared with last season. Besides, we can’t rely on only Greenwood and Cavani on top and we also need backup on RW as long as Rashford is out.

My advise is to keep Martial until Rashford is back; let him prove himself another six months. It’s a fair chance Martial surprise us and his market value increase.

The January window could be perfect timing to sell Martial and buy Haaland. Maybe Martial could be included in a swap deal for Haaland (€100m + Martial):cool:

Silas

Nobody is paying us 60m after the season he just had and the fact he's not first choice anymore either. Nobody at all. Had we sold him last summer then maybe we would have got around that I suppose.

40-45m tops. If Inter offer anymore I'd bite their hands off as we'd be getting our money back which I'd say is a result for a very inconsistent player.
Just another reason why it'd make no sense to sell right now.

R'hllor

Good on him if he leaves, from his debut vs Liverpool to all shit recieved from JM acolytes to today, he is probably number two on weirdos list that cant stand Pogba.

SinNombre

Icardi is a joke, and that’s without his wife agent.

Lautaro is younger and more productive than Martial, even if the latter has a higher ceiling.

Suedesi

I'm not sold on Lautaro and I've seen him for a few years. I think he's one of those players who can do well in Serie A or La Liga. Personally think he'll struggle in the PL, let alone Man Utd. Far more talented Argies have failed here.

• Greenwood had 15 appearances up top last season.
  • Greenwood and Elanga have played the entire pre season and taken turns up top.
  • Martial had a shit season followed by serious injury he just returned from.
  • Elanga and Greenwood are in form right now
Where's the logic in expecting Martial to perform better at the start of the season? Because that's the implication when you say we need him for the beginning of the season due to Rashy's injury.

Cavani will be back this week, he'll probably not start against Leeds and that's about it.

That's a hit and miss player, because you never know when Martial will go on his half a season near dry spell unless you find out by playing him. If there was litmus/pregancy test for Martial that could tell us beforehand then you'd have a point.

Sancho's played on the left plenty for Dortmund and actually has better stats there. If Cavani's fit, Sancho, Rashy, Mason will compete for 2 positions. I would add Elanga (and Ole is considering it too). If Greenwood or Elanga are needed up top, you play Sancho and Rashy on the wing. How is Martial irreplaceable here?

Managers say a lot of shit, including Ole. I think we can agree that if he was honest about Martial last season he wouldn't have said a single positive thing. Didn't he say "Donny played well" a couple of times too?
I can see that we just really disagree about this, and I can respect that. I think that you're wrong, and that you're unfairly criticising one of of our better players to an extent that you'd be happy to see our team weakened as long as we sold him, but hey, you gotta have confidence in your opinions!

Honestly, one reason why I think it's essential we keep Martial is that, with the exception of Cavani, he's the oldest forward we have and the only one over 24. Him, Cavani and Rashford are the only ones who have overcome adversity. I have faith that Martial will come back stronger after last year's disappointment because I've seen him do it before. He is used to receiving heavy criticism from Manchester United fans, and the national media, and coming back stronger. If you sell him then you're putting that same pressure that's normally on him on Greenwood and Elanga. United fans and pundits started criticising Martial after he didn't score for 2 games last season. I don't want us to feck with the development of our youth by putting that pressure on them this season.

Greenwood has played a few games at 9, but has never looked particularly comfortable or effective there. His best performances have come off the right, while Cavani or Martial have played at 9 and held the team's shape. To ask him to be our main goalscorer from 9 while also holding the shape of the team, in the way Martial and Cavani have done, is a lot. We don't know how he'll deal with that pressure when he hasn't scored for 3 or 4 games in a row but he keeps getting played at 9 because we don't have another option. We know how Martial will do though.

Elanga will not play at 9 this year unless we are desperate. And that's right. Greenwood is a natural 9, and he spent his first year learning the game from the right, where there's less pressure and less heavy challenges. I really think it's crucial to protect our young players if we want them to be successful, and that means not putting loads of pressure on them by asking them to be out main goalscorer/focal point in a campaign where we're expected to challenge.

No point in reading too much into pre-season form, otherwise we'll be starting Pereira, the pre-season Pirlo. I think you're reading far too much into pre-season form here. From my eye test, Greenwood has been sort of lethargic and hesitant for much of pre-season and Elanga/Lingard/James/Pereira have all looked sharper. None of that changes the fact I'd start Greenwood over all of them. And I thought Martial looked up for it on Saturday, especially considering he's just back from injury. I saw him putting in energy and aggression to win the ball back high up, as if he had a point to prove. That bodes really well for his attitude for the new season.

Again, I disagree with your review of Martial. It's more like he's on form for a year, during which time he's about 50/50 to score in any game. That was his form for 2019/2020. Or he's off. When he's been on in his career for us, he's more or less on a par with any striker in the league who's not called Harry Kane. And I mean that over the course of a season. And he's better at scoring important goals than Kane.

jesperjaap

Not very smart to sell him now. His performance and market value can only go upward compared with last season. Besides, we can’t rely on only Greenwood and Cavani on top and we also need backup on RW as long as Rashford is out.

My advise is to keep Martial until Rashford is back; let him prove himself another six months. It’s a fair chance Martial surprise us and his market value increase.

The January window could be perfect timing to sell Martial and buy Haaland. Maybe Martial could be included in a swap deal for Haaland (€100m + Martial):cool:
Yes footballing wise, we should keep him as he offers an option on the left while Rashford recovers and an option up front if Cavani does other than Greenwood.

IF the attitude is awful though, then maybe dressign room harmony and togetherness is more important. We dont know what he is like in that regard.

Personally I would keep him this season, he can be part of the funding for a new striker when Cavani probably leaves.

Would rather we sold other players at the moment to fund another signing this summer

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I trust the club to not be stupid enough to do it this season.

Next season if we’ve secured someone like Haaland maybe but right now we need a striker with his skill set whether or not he’s been in world beating form.

People are forgetting what he can bring to the squad quite easily and I worry this is very much a grass is greener approach from some.

sugar_kane

Probably makes sense to hold onto him for now considering our lack of depth up front, but in any other situation we should be selling if a decent offer comes along. He isn’t going to make it at United.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You can keep writing essays but everything in them will still be shit. You should save yourself some time and effort by shortening them.

I agree with the dude you're debating, but I'm too dumb and/or lazy to write a response myself, so please pay attention to me instead.
fixed & noted.

I can see that we just really disagree about this, and I can respect that. I think that you're wrong, and that you're unfairly criticising one of of our better players to an extent that you'd be happy to see our team weakened as long as we sold him, but hey, you gotta have confidence in your opinions!

Honestly, one reason why I think it's essential we keep Martial is that, with the exception of Cavani, he's the oldest forward we have and the only one over 24. Him, Cavani and Rashford are the only ones who have overcome adversity. I have faith that Martial will come back stronger after last year's disappointment because I've seen him do it before. He is used to receiving heavy criticism from Manchester United fans, and the national media, and coming back stronger. If you sell him then you're putting that same pressure that's normally on him on Greenwood and Elanga. United fans and pundits started criticising Martial after he didn't score for 2 games last season. I don't want us to feck with the development of our youth by putting that pressure on them this season.

Greenwood has played a few games at 9, but has never looked particularly comfortable or effective there. His best performances have come off the right, while Cavani or Martial have played at 9 and held the team's shape. To ask him to be our main goalscorer from 9 while also holding the shape of the team, in the way Martial and Cavani have done, is a lot. We don't know how he'll deal with that pressure when he hasn't scored for 3 or 4 games in a row but he keeps getting played at 9 because we don't have another option. We know how Martial will do though.

Elanga will not play at 9 this year unless we are desperate. And that's right. Greenwood is a natural 9, and he spent his first year learning the game from the right, where there's less pressure and less heavy challenges. I really think it's crucial to protect our young players if we want them to be successful, and that means not putting loads of pressure on them by asking them to be out main goalscorer/focal point in a campaign where we're expected to challenge.

No point in reading too much into pre-season form, otherwise we'll be starting Pereira, the pre-season Pirlo. I think you're reading far too much into pre-season form here. From my eye test, Greenwood has been sort of lethargic and hesitant for much of pre-season and Elanga/Lingard/James/Pereira have all looked sharper. None of that changes the fact I'd start Greenwood over all of them. And I thought Martial looked up for it on Saturday, especially considering he's just back from injury. I saw him putting in energy and aggression to win the ball back high up, as if he had a point to prove. That bodes really well for his attitude for the new season.

Again, I disagree with your review of Martial. It's more like he's on form for a year, during which time he's about 50/50 to score in any game. That was his form for 2019/2020. Or he's off. When he's been on in his career for us, he's more or less on a par with any striker in the league who's not called Harry Kane. And I mean that over the course of a season. And he's better at scoring important goals than Kane.
Of course preseason form is an important consideration if you're looking to replace starting players that aren't up to speed yet for the first game of the season. I only mentioned the preseason forms of Elanga and Greenwood in response to your suggestion that we shouldn't sell Martial because Rashford's out for the first 3 months. So you can straw man me with Pereira all you want, if our only senior no 10 had a shit season followed by a 4 month long knee injury with only 45min played, where he looked active but far from good, then I would consider an in form talent for the opening game as well.

I really don't see the point in starting Martial against Leeds. If you think he's capable of going back to his 19/20 form (which is still a one off season), fine, but lets not pretend he'll get to that level in less than 3 months after having had an entire stinker season followed by a 4 month long knee injury. He's also deservedly not a starter, so how you think he'll get back into that form with limited minutes before Rashford's back is a mystery to me.

Last edited:

Eli Zee

Good on him if he leaves, from his debut vs Liverpool to all shit recieved from JM acolytes to today, he is probably number two on weirdos list that cant stand Pogba.
Him and Pogba rub people The wrong way because they don't put in as much effort, at least as far as we can tell from the stands. If you aren't gonna be efficient and get goals/assists consistently, then you arent afforded the luxury of not working as hard as other players in the team. A player like Bruno will have 1G+1A, been sprinting up and down all game, and will still be working harder in the 80th minute than Pogba or Martial, even if they just got substituted on

Raven

fixed & noted.

Of course preseason form is an important consideration if you're looking to replace starting players that aren't up to speed yet for the first game of the season. I only mentioned the preseason forms of Elanga and Greenwood in response to your suggestion that we shouldn't sell Martial because Rashford's out for the first 3 months. So you can straw man me with Pereira all you want, if our only senior no 10 had a shit season followed by a 4 month long knee injury with only 45min played, where he looked active but far from good, then I would consider an in form talent for the opening game as well.

I really don't see the point in starting Martial against Leeds. If you think he's capable of going back to his 19/20 form (which is still a one off season), fine, but lets not pretend he'll get to that level in less than 3 months after having had an entire stinker season followed by a 4 month long knee injury. He's also deservedly not a starter, so how you think he'll get back into that form with limited minutes before Rashford's back is a mystery to me.
You've been writing essay upon essay spouting nothing but complete and utter shit. It's annoying. You clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about so my suggestion is to keep it short and sweet to prevent you wasting everyone's time.

Scholsey2004

Always loan deals with Italians.

They're getting €100+ million from Chelsea. They have money to reinvest.
Inters Chinese owners have apparently decided to asset strip wherever possible, so i wouldnt be surprised if the Lukaku money isnt reinvested in players.

fixed & noted.

It's not a straw man to say that pre-season form, especially for young players, doesn't necessarily translate into first team starts. Every season, in pre-season we get a couple of young players who play a few games and look good. Those players usually go out on loan or back to the reserves. It's not a knock on Elanga to say that he's not ready to be relied on as a first team squad player - if you'd read the whole of my post you'd have noticed I made that point.

You'd also have noticed that I answered the questions you ask here as well. Greenwood has not played as a loan striker in the PL and done well for us in the past. Martial has. Martial has the experience of going on droughts and recovering, and of being harshly criticised by everyone and proving them wrong. Being a striker for a team like us is a really thankless, high-pressure position. You are suggesting getting rid of one of our 2 players who we know can do that role on the hope that a 20 year old and an 18 year old can cover for him. I think that that is putting far too much pressure on 2 kids. Martial is used to having the shit kicked out of him due to playing on his own against 2 CBs for most of a game. I don't want Greenwood or Elanga to have to do that this year l.

Martial was a starter against Everton, and we scored 3 goals in 30 minutes. He started that game cos Ole views him as a starter and wants him fit. This is because, when Martial plays up front, we tend to play better football and build attacks better. When Greenwood played up front in the league last year we looked disjointed and were worse at holding onto the ball in the final 3rd (not his fault, it's just not how he's learned to play). Both Rashford and Bruno tend to play forward quickly, and with that you need someone who can control and lay off or hold onto the ball. At this stage I definitely trust Martial to do that better than Greenwood or Elanga, therefore he has to be 2nd choice striker behind Cavani.

I don't really know why I'm still arguing with you - you're clearly fixed in your opinion and you've been ignoring the points that you can't argue against and trying your best to patronise and/or insult everyone in the thread, but here you go - this is why you're wrong to demand we sell Martial.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Hey, no need to insult (dumb and lazy) other members. That kind of behavior is not viewed too kindly here.
The purpose of his comment was to belittle me for my opinion on Martial out (it's literally the topic) because it happens to upset him, without actually engaging in a meaningful way (crying about post length, completely off topic)

There's longer posts by people with an opposing view and there's many people that share my view (sell him).

You've been writing essay upon essay spouting nothing but complete and utter shit. It's annoying. You clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about so my suggestion is to keep it short and sweet to prevent you wasting everyone's time.
How am I wasting everyone's times when I have been discussing the topic with other posters, who've been reading my posts (and me theirs)?

If the topic upsets you because you're a Martial fan, read a different thread.

If you can't stomach opposing views longer than 140 characters, I recommend Twitter.

Green_Red

How the feck are we only looking to get 50 mil for Martial but Chelsea are buying Lakaku for 100? feckin madness. No matter who we get in it seems we are crap at making money from selling players. Martial had one bad season in the Premier League compared with Lakaku who couldn't control a football when he was here. Ludicrous.

Bondi77

I have been a fan of Martial but right now I classify him as our third choice striker so obviously I rate him as a squad player.
At his age now I think it is more about product and not potential so unless he can put up some numbers this season I think it will have to be time to move on and if there is any truth in parties prepared to pay 50mil for him at this moment in time (which I highly doubt) we should seriously consider it.

SplitzMagic

I don't know why nobody would take Lautaro. He reminds me of tevez and I think he would be extremely useful in our team. Imagine him and Bruno together with their high octane energy.

Martial has had his chances. We can't keep allowing him to have a good season then a bad one hoping his next will be good again. He's had his time so now I think we should change and take Lautaro.

I'm sure that inter still owe 40m for the lukaku transfer so if they took martial that's actually almost the whole lukaku fee spent. I might be wrong.

They should just give us lautaro for free then pay 50m for martial in an ideal world but we'll probably end up with some random ST for the future instead.

Lautaro and sancho with Bruno false 9 could actually bang! But eitherway I wouldn't be upset if we sold them martial. He's too much of a sometimes player.

KennyBurner

How do you back and forth with posters that believe Rashford is an option for the CF role and also want us to compete for the title? I think many of you are okay with just finishing top 3.

CG1010

Only way I would sell Martial is if he is himself wanting to move out (meaning he doesn't have the stomach for a fight here) and we are going to try a plan B system with Bruno as false 9. Else we can't have a successful season with Cavani (who can't surely play more than 60% of minutes) and Greenwood (who is relatively unknown quantity at CF) as our strikers. Purposefully not including Rashford here because he is settled in wing position now and apart from being stop gap arrangement for a couple of matches I wouldn't want him to get confused over what's his long-term position again.

SmithLogic

Sancho will open up spaces that Tony hasn’t had before. Pointless sale at the moment.

pav1790

To be honest, I like Martial and I can't stand Pogba. More specifically the circus around Pogba.

pav1790

I'm not sold on Lautaro and I've seen him for a few years. I think he's one of those players who can do well in Serie A or La Liga. Personally think he'll struggle in the PL, let alone Man Utd. Far more talented Argies have failed here.
Is that entirely an above board term? Nothing wrong with abbreviating the name - calling Australians Aussies is just a norm, for example. But then, to call a German a Jerry would be a little bit of a faux pas.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Lautaro looks okay. His record is nothing like as good as Martial's was at the same age though. With Rashford out, Martial should get game time and when he gets games he usually produces goals/assists. I think you give him the season, maybe look at how he's done by January. He's probably never going to reach his absolute potential but that doesn't mean Lautaro is better or could handle playing for United.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His an enjoyable player for me to watch - the only reason I feel like we should sell him is because he is on a wage that highlights him as our main starting striker when he is not.

Teja

His an enjoyable player for me to watch - the only reason I feel like we should sell him is because he is on a wage that highlights him as our main starting striker when he is not.
Agree with this. If we're paying someone 250k p/w, they should be starting every game. Maybe it's a bit too late to go shop for a replacement because Rashford / Greenwood / Sancho / Cavani (4 players, 3 spots) is a bit light squad depth wise.

Elanga, Pellestri and Amad are clearly not ready to start every week. James won't cut it against PL level opposition, but he can probably do a job in the earlier stages of the league / FA cup.

Assume Lingard will leave but let's see. Maybe he can cover for both Bruno and LW.