Martial agent looking for a new club for him

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
By counting the attacking players we have? Left - Sancho, James, Pogba and even Lingard. Right Sancho, Greenwood, James and even Mata. Strike Cavani, Greenwood who needs games to develop. And, we should be able to cope with that group of players until the end of year when Rashford will be back. Next season? Well, we will have a new striker.

Those are senior players. We still have a few youth players who can play in some cup games to let senior players rest.
So two strikers? One old and injury prone and another not ready who is currently a better option on the right. Seems sensible to sell then.

dinostar77

Would be a brilliant summer if Utd can get Inter to take Martial on loan with an obligation to buy at £50mil. We get our money back on him.

MiceOnMeth

Would be a brilliant summer if Utd can get Inter to take Martial on loan with an obligation to buy at £50mil. We get our money back on him.
Our profit? Didn't the fee only rise to 50 if we won Balon D'ors and stuff?

Siezard

If Martial moves, United will probably move in quick for a 2nd rated striker like Callum Wilson. Then end of season get Haaland.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We can cope with Cavani and Greenwood until Rashford is back. Then we have Rashford as a third choice ST as well as him playing on the left primarily obviously.

50m for Martial (if it's true) would be too good to turn down. He's had 2 good seasons in 6 years.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Martial's performance remains stagnant after 4-5 games, id rather give Greenwood time to develop honestly. Greenwood is young but his talent for scoring goals is unmistakable, his technique is ridiculous, he can easily be one of the best finisher the club has ever had. His runs and pace arent bad either. Whether Martial leaves or not I'd rather put Greenwood as 2nd choice. Its better to develop an exciting talent than give inconsistent player time when in the end that player is never gonna make the CF position his own. Six years should be enough surely?

Last edited:

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
No chance we sell him now, only way that happens is if a straight up cash offer come in that suits our valuation, even that would be dumb of us to let him go without a proper replacement, to make it worst Rashford is out until November, For now he's worth more to us than flogging him for 50m.

The Urban Goose

I think it'd be a good move for all parties, Martial would do very well in Italy where his "economy of movement" would not be as much of a hindrance as it is here.

Jacob

If Martial's performance remains stagnant after 4-5 games, id rather give Greenwood time to develop honestly. Greenwood is young but his talent for scoring goals is unmistakable, his technique is ridiculous, he can easily be one of the best finisher the club has ever had. His runs and pace arent bad either. Whether Martial leaves or not I'd rather put Greenwood as 2nd choice. Its better to develop an exciting talent than give inconsistent player time when in the end that player is never gonna make the CF position his own. Six years should be enough surely?
It's not like Greenwood isn't getting minutes. He's one of the first names on the team sheet now.

11reds

If Martial moves, United will probably move in quick for a 2nd rated striker like Callum Wilson. Then end of season get Haaland.
We missed the boat here. Danny Ings would be a good back up striker to Cavani and Greenwood spread over the course of our season. He went for relatively small money.
Martial has been at the club around 6 years, he has had good spells but he has been terrible and sulky at times. I always ask if we sell a player will it come back to haunt us and with Martial I believe it will not.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Wouldn't be bothered about replacing him. Let amad and elanga have his minutes and spend the money on trippier and a midfielder.

After yesterday's game he was constantly rotating with Greenwood, and no reason either of those lads couldn't play that role. Our front 3 is likely to be Sancho, Cavani and Greenwood anyway.

Pavl3n

Coming off of injury and a bad season, no concrete links for him, nor for the club looking for a striker - I doubt he's leaving. It just doesn't make any sense and it goes against what Ole's said about squad depth and his desire to be covered in all positions. Tony's talented and there's still some lingering hope that he'll improve on his first full season under Ole.

Definitely next season will be determining for his future. I doubt we'll actively try to move him away, even if he's doesn't hit top form. With Cavani leaving and probably looking to bring a top replacement, Greenwood hopefully stepping up his contributions from CF, we may find it needless to bring in a second striker to replace Anthony and we could feel content that he sits on the bench as 3rd striking option. That scenario may not suit with Martial and he might start looking more actively for a new club, which saves us the work and maybe makes it easier to demand a higher fee for him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I can't believe someone offered 50m. Give me the coordinates and I'll take him myself.

So two strikers? One old and injury prone and another not ready who is currently a better option on the right. Seems sensible to sell then.
Cavani, Greenwood, Elanga and Rashford are all better options up top than Martial.
Rashy, Greenwood, Sancho, Elanga, Pogba and Amad deserve to be ahead of Martial for the wide positions.

Martial's only reason for being in the squad would be because he has the second best holdup play (after Cavani). 50m and getting rid of his ridiculous salary is too much to pass up on for player like that.

We'll get a CF next year. Someone like Haaland is actually not that great at receiving the ball with his back to the goal, so we might as well get used to playing with CFs that don't have that one trait Martial is second best at.

laughtersassassin

I don't see how we can sell him with Martial out.

We would then end up having to play Dan James in games. That would be really bad

-Supreme-

Yeah right. We have Cavani would isnt even ready for the season and Rashford who isnt a 9. Doubt we will sell Martial
Yep, and plus Cavani can't play 2 games a week, no doubt he will get injured at some point this season.

Abraxas

I don't think the depth argument applies, I think if there is a reasonable offer and chance to shift this player and his wages we will do it. It may mean getting in a lesser name striker for the short term, but let's be honest, Igahlo would have done as well as Martial last season, he scored hardly any goals. I don't think it would be too hard to replace what Martial gives, which is why he's representing terrible value to us at the moment. He'll be gone if there's a good offer but chances are there won't be, there isn't a queue around the block for an underperformer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah right. We have Cavani would isnt even ready for the season and Rashford who isnt a 9. Doubt we will sell Martial
Yeah, there’s no chance we will. He’s also on a bit of a hefty wage too. If he has another stinker season (I don’t really think he will), then he’s off next summer.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Would be stupid at this point. We have a bucket load of wingers but no one apart from Cavani that can play the 9 role. I like Greenwood way better on the right

still time to get someone all the same so this could happen

Pavl3n

Oh, so there are links about him going away.

Who could we bring on such short notice that won't break the bank and we'll be a good option?

DickDastardly

Its all if's and but's....

Simple fact is - if he continues to play like he did for the last two years, we should snap Inters hands off.

But - should he start to dig his heels and work his ass off, there is a undeniable talent there.

Just the matter of work and mind.

Is he in the right state of mind?
Hope Ole knows.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Oh, so there are links about him going away.

Who could we bring on such short notice that won't break the bank and we'll be a good option?
Id go for Alexander Isak as a right footed striker that replaces Martial and then sign Haaland to replace Cavani. I don't think he would break the bank too much.

Sell James to even things out a little.

Not realistic though.

Pavl3n

Id go for Alexander Isak as a right footed striker that replaces Martial and then sign Haaland to replace Cavani. I don't think he would break the bank too much.

Sell James to even things out a little.

Not realistic though.
Haven't seen him play. Haven't seen many games except our games in the last year or so. Will check some highlights.

Not sure we're selling James this summer. Maybe next, when Amad and Pellistri get more experience.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We didn't miss him at all last season and honestly he was poor last season in every games and probably the only games I can remember he was good were the City away and Aston Villa home games. If Inter want him then we should tell them to either buy or loan with option of obligation to buy. If we sell him then buy a DM or a midfielder, push Pogba as LW option and have Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood as our striker option while Haaland will be a long term striker option as he will be available next year.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Cavani, Greenwood, Elanga and Rashford are all better options up top than Martial.
Rashy, Greenwood, Sancho, Elanga, Pogba and Amad deserve to be ahead of Martial for the wide positions.

Martial's only reason for being in the squad would be because he has the second best holdup play (after Cavani). 50m and getting rid of his ridiculous salary is too much to pass up on for player like that.

We'll get a CF next year. Someone like Haaland is actually not that great at receiving the ball with his back to the goal, so we might as well get used to playing with CFs that don't have that one trait Martial is second best at.
None of Greenwood, Elanga or Rashford have ever performed as well up front as Martial has done. Cavani hasn't performed as well for us as Martial has.
None of Greenwood, Elanga, Pogba or Amad have performed as well out wide as Martial has done.

Martial had a shit last season. Before that he'd been our best player over the previous season. If he can get back to that form he is easily ahead of almost everyone you mention. The big question is whether he will get back to that and nobody can know that for sure, but pretending it's simply not an option is ridiculous. If we get a big offer then it's something we'd have to think about since he has unfortunately been inconsistent, but you are going way overboard.

Oh, and Martial's hold-up play is comfortably better than Cavani's most of the time. He is inconsistent with it, but he's the only player in our team capable of actually having good (or even decent) hold-up play and bringing other players into the game. Greenwood and Rashford are both very poor at it, and Cavani is average at best.

Haven't seen him play. Haven't seen many games except our games in the last year or so. Will check some highlights.

Not sure we're selling James this summer. Maybe next, when Amad and Pellistri get more experience.
I think you'd be mad to buy isak, or one of these other players who have been suggested as Martial replacements, and expect them to match Martial's output in goals and assists this season. Isak is good but raw, and I don't think he's even better than Martial at dribbling - which is his main strength. You can't expect a 21 year old striker to come in from Sociedad as 2nd or 3rd choice and make an impact in front of goal.

If you're gonna get Martial out now it's only value if we get someone cheaper and premier-league proven in to replace him - someone who you could trust to start 1 game in 3 and still score like 10 goals. So someone like Chris Wood or Danny Ings (at Villa now). I don't think there are options that would definitely improve our team and make financial sense.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
None of Greenwood, Elanga or Rashford have ever performed as well up front as Martial has done. Cavani hasn't performed as well for us as Martial has.
None of Greenwood, Elanga, Pogba or Amad have performed as well out wide as Martial has done.

Martial had a shit last season. Before that he'd been our best player over the previous season. If he can get back to that form he is easily ahead of almost everyone you mention. The big question is whether he will get back to that and nobody can know that for sure, but pretending it's simply not an option is ridiculous. If we get a big offer then it's something we'd have to think about since he has unfortunately been inconsistent, but you are going way overboard.

Oh, and Martial's hold-up play is comfortably better than Cavani's most of the time. He is inconsistent with it, but he's the only player in our team capable of actually having good (or even decent) hold-up play and bringing other players into the game. Greenwood and Rashford are both very poor at it, and Cavani is average at best.
:lol: How old are you? Were you around for Rashford's debut?

Martial has been here for 6 years, he obviously has had some great performances up top. He also had a lot of shit ones, like the entirety of last season. It's not like apart from last season Martial was consistently good, more like hit and miss.

Rashford, Greenwood and James were all better out wide last season and even Amad and Elanga have looked better in their limited appearances. Mata was just as productive as Martial if you look at goals assists per minutes played (with Dan fecking James being twice as productive as both of them)

Stop living in the past. Last season Martial had one good game against City because he's big, strong and has a good touch. He looks like he can't be arsed for a very long time now.

KennyBurner

I can't believe someone offered 50m. Give me the coordinates and I'll take him myself.

:houllier: :houllier: :houllier:

Martial has been here for 6 years, he obviously has had some great performances up top. He also had a lot of shit ones, like the entirety of last season. It's not like apart from last season Martial was consistently good, more like hit and miss.

Rashford, Greenwood and James were all better out wide last season and even Amad and Elanga have looked better in their limited appearances. Mata was just as productive as Martial if you look at goals assists per minutes played (with Dan fecking James being twice as productive as both of them)

Stop living in the past. Last season Martial had one good game against City because he's big, strong and has a good touch. He looks like he can't be arsed for a very long time now.
Rashford can't hold the ball up. He's good at running in behind. 80% of games we will have no space in behind, so Rashford is not gonna be useful as a no9.

Greenwood is also best with the ball at his feet running at a defence. He isn't gonna get many of those opportunities as a no9. All his best games for us so far have been off the right, cos he has more space there.

Elanga has played 2 competitive games for us.

None of them have shown that they are able to play regularly as a lone striker. Martial has. Therefore it would be a massive risk to sell Martial - fortunately it's a risk Ole is not going to take. Because why would he? It would just mean weakening our team for no reason.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Rashford was good when he broke through up front, but certainly not to the level of Martial in 19/20. Martial was literally our best player over the course of the season and was the main one driving us to the CL spots for the final month or two of the season.

'Stop living in the past'? We're not talking a couple of seasons here. If it were I would agree with what you are saying. It's been one season of terrible form, which is far too soon to go as ridiculously overboard as what you have. If he can turn it around (and after only one season of poor form there is still a fair chance of that) he is still probably our best striker or at least easily one of our top two. An on-form Martial isn't just better than Rashford or Greenwood up front, he's far better.

Overall Martial has been inconsistent during his time here. He's had two very good seasons, two poor seasons, and two seasons where he's mostly been good but through no real fault of his own wasn't able to maintain it (Mourinho stupidly dropped him when he was easily our best performing attacker, and injuries and illness destroyed the other season). Is it more inconsistent than what we want? Yes of course. Is there an argument for selling him and replacing him with somebody else? Yes. Should we sell him and replace him with players who are nowhere near as good as him when he's performing well? No. But that is what you want to do.

Devil may care

Barella's a creative box to box, isn't he? Wouldn't this be swapping a player in a position we're short for a player in a position we're stacked in?
We don't really have a creative box to box who can actually play in the midfield, we have an aging holder and 2 Jack of all trades master of none #8's and Pogba who can't be trusted defensively so needs a more free role, getting Barella would be a proactive step for when Pogba leaves next summer.

Giggsy13

Unless he’s agitating for a move why let him go? Depth was our problem last season, and Martial can cover on the left side of our attack and as a no. 9 if needed. He had an unusually poor season by his standards and will definitely get back to his level this season.

We don't really have a creative box to box who can actually play in the midfield, we have an aging holder and 2 Jack of all trades master of none #8's and Pogba who can't be trusted defensively so needs a more free role, getting Barella would be a proactive step for when Pogba leaves next summer.
I get what you're saying, especially if we lose Pogba, but I feel like this is a window too soon for that move. Also I just have a bad feeling about Italians moving to United on the back of a good international tournament (reminds me of Darmian). I reckon Barella really benefitted from the way Italy's squad fitted together, and I'm not confident that he could come into our squad and have a big immediate impact, which could mean that we just have another box to box player who doesn't really stand out much over McTominay, fred and vdb but who is on big wages and is difficult to shift.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Can’t see us selling or loaning him with Rashford out.
One injury to Cavani and we will be extremely light in the CF position.

On another note, I remember when Scholes suggested Martial was not a traditional or top class CF and therefore we should buy Kane (rather than Sancho).
Now I don’t agree we should have bought him instead of Sancho, however Scholes’ comments about a pure CF got called out a lot here. “The game has moved on from pure CFs, blah blah.”
Well, only a few months later both Chelsea and City are trying to buy traditional CFs for record fees.

Last edited:

Pavl3n

I think you'd be mad to buy isak, or one of these other players who have been suggested as Martial replacements, and expect them to match Martial's output in goals and assists this season. Isak is good but raw, and I don't think he's even better than Martial at dribbling - which is his main strength. You can't expect a 21 year old striker to come in from Sociedad as 2nd or 3rd choice and make an impact in front of goal.

If you're gonna get Martial out now it's only value if we get someone cheaper and premier-league proven in to replace him - someone who you could trust to start 1 game in 3 and still score like 10 goals. So someone like Chris Wood or Danny Ings (at Villa now). I don't think there are options that would definitely improve our team and make financial sense.
Then we better demand a high fee or we stay with him.
As I said in a post a little above, there's still lingering hope that he'll come at the right end.