g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Martial agent looking for a new club for him

Gurtej

Anyone who is willing to pay 50m for him… we should just sell.

At 250k, and despite 5 years with us, still can’t establish and be trusted as our main striker…I don’t know why we would want to keep him….

Put that money back to get a proper CDM so we can have Pogba, Sancho and Fernandes in one team.

yes we will be short specially when Rashford is out, wondering if there is a 12 month loan available somewhere (of course getting Kane would be perfect but Martial won’t go to a non CL club and I am sure Spurs won’t match his salary).
Together we Cavani, Greenwood we should be fine till Rashford come back. Another short term option would be great though !

Next year add, Halland and another top player and we would-be ready to win PL

Hackman2210

Martial at Inter - 20 goals a season guaranteed. I'd bet my favourite child on it. Then they sell him to PSG £100mil in 2 years...........

Alemar

Martial at Inter - 20 goals a season guaranteed.
So? It’s flawed logic to expect a player to do badly at a new club when we try to sell him for good money - simply because (usually) the buyer understands if a player fits new system or not.

Flying high

I would not be happy with our CF options being a relatively old Cavani, Greenwood who is yet to really impress in that position, or Rashford who's not great there. It's not even close to being enough for a title challenge, never mind a deep run in the CL as well.

Martial leaving only makes sense if we are getting Kane or preferably Haaland.

Raven

The purpose of his comment was to belittle me for my opinion on Martial out (it's literally the topic) because it happens to upset him, without actually engaging in a meaningful way (crying about post length, completely off topic)

There's longer posts by people with an opposing view and there's many people that share my view (sell him).

How am I wasting everyone's times when I have been discussing the topic with other posters, who've been reading my posts (and me theirs)?

If the topic upsets you because you're a Martial fan, read a different thread.

If you can't stomach opposing views longer than 140 characters, I recommend Twitter.
Please explain to me how a statement like the following can be considered as anything but an outright lie.

"if he doesn't score a single goal come winter it'll be like a typical Martial season"

I'll save you some time, this has never happened.

You've now suggested we bring in Hugill, someone who's never even made a match day squad as our back up striker. You've said Rashford is ok cover at CF, which is bullshit because he's a fecking terrible striker. Greenwood is a great talent but has shown nothing to suggest he's good enough up top yet.

You realise that we're trying to challenge for the league, right? You think that's possible with Cavani, who can only play 1 game a week and a bunch of lads who range from terrible to unproven?

You're in fecking la la land.

Kaos

Martial out, Kane in??
I hope not. It would mean Haaland to City next season, and we'd be stuck with a potentially injury prone Harry Kane. I'd rather we keep Cavani and Martial this season to rotate as our CF options, and go balls to the walls for Haaland next summer. Let City and Chelsea be stuck with Kane and Lukaku respectively.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Please explain to me how a statement like the following can be considered as anything but an outright lie.

"if he doesn't score a single goal come winter it'll be like a typical Martial season"

I'll save you some time, this has never happened.

You've now suggested we bring in Hugill, someone who's never even made a match day squad as our back up striker. You've said Rashford is ok cover at CF, which is bullshit because he's a fecking terrible striker. Greenwood is a great talent but has shown nothing to suggest he's good enough up top yet.

You realise that we're trying to challenge for the league, right? You think that's possible with Cavani, who can only play 1 game a week and a bunch of lads who range from terrible to unproven?

You're in fecking la la land.
It's hyperbolic. Martial's first league goal last season was december 17th. His other 2 goals were the 5-0 Leipzig win and the 2-1 Istanbul loss. He'll score less now that he's a squad player and he needed 1000 minutes to make those 3 goals. Would you consider me to be "in la la land" too for thinking Elanga can do better than those numbers as a squad player than Martial, who just recovered from a ruptured knee ligament?

This is what I wrote in response to someone saying we need to keep Martial for depth because Rashford is out for 3 months:
Rashford will be back around November. Oh, the absolute horror of having to play Elanga and putting Hugill on the bench if we run into the unlikely scenario of having 2 injuries in the same position within 3 months. My ass will be so clenched if Elanga gets injured and we have to play Hugill or Bruno up top for 10 minutes! :eek:
The point is that it's unlikely we'll have have 3 injuries (Cavani, Greenwood, Elanga) in the same position within 3 months ('till Rashford returns). I don't know how you interpreted this as "bringing Hugill in".

MatchdayDateVenueForOpponentResultPos.
Group A6/19/21A(6.)Argentina (4.)1:0CF90'
Group A6/21/21H(7.)Chile (3.)1:1CF90'
Group A6/24/21A(9.)Bolivia (10.)0:2CF190'
Group A6/29/21H(9.)Paraguay (10.)1:0CF168'
Quarter-Finals7/4/21H(9.)Colombia (10.)2:4 on pensCF90'

"can only play once a week", my brown arse.

Raven

It's hyperbolic. Martial's first league goal last season was december 17th. His other 2 goals were the 5-0 Leipzig win and the 2-1 Istanbul loss. He'll score less now that he's a squad player and he needed 1000 minutes to make those 3 goals. Would you consider me to be "in la la land" too for thinking Elanga can do better than those numbers as a squad player than Martial, who just recovered from a ruptured knee ligament?

This is what I wrote in response to someone saying we need to keep Martial for depth because Rashford is out for 3 months:

The point is that it's unlikely we'll have have 3 injuries (Cavani, Greenwood, Elanga) in the same position within 3 months ('till Rashford returns). I don't know how you interpreted this as "bringing Hugill in".

MatchdayDateVenueForOpponentResultPos.
Group A6/19/21A(6.)Argentina (4.)1:0CF90'
Group A6/21/21H(7.)Chile (3.)1:1CF90'
Group A6/24/21A(9.)Bolivia (10.)0:2CF190'
Group A6/29/21H(9.)Paraguay (10.)1:0CF168'
Quarter-Finals7/4/21H(9.)Colombia (10.)2:4 on pensCF90'

"can only play once a week", my brown arse.
Right, so you admit you were not telling the truth. At least we're getting somewhere now. Why did you feel the need to be hyperbolic exactly, rather than just tell the truth?

You also seem to be using last season as your only point of reference, which is interesting because the 3 previous seasons, he started like a house on fire. There is an extremely slim chance that Elanga would out perform Martial, but there's absolutely no fecking way anyone at the club is willing to take that chance.

Cavani is injury prone, Greenwood is yet to show anything that convinces me he's ready to be a striker at this level and mentioning Elanga, in my view, is beyond ridiculous.

International tournaments are not gruelling 9 month long seasons though are they? You'll notice that last season, Ole only ever played him once a week. Why do you think that is?

If we are to get rid of Martial, the only way it'll work is if we bring in a good striker to replace him. In this event, I'm completely open to the idea, otherwise, let's keep him until we have a replacement.

You've decided to throw together another long post filled with nothing but absolute nonsense. I'm not sure if it's just a blind hatred towards Martial causing you to do this or if you're just completely underestimating the challenge we're facing this season, but I think you need to have a longer think about the situation.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Right, so you admit you were not telling the truth. At least we're getting somewhere now. Why did you feel the need to be hyperbolic exactly, rather than just tell the truth?

You also seem to be using last season as your only point of reference, which is interesting because the 3 previous seasons, he started like a house on fire. There is an extremely slim chance that Elanga would out perform Martial, but there's absolutely no fecking way anyone at the club is willing to take that chance.

Cavani is injury prone, Greenwood is yet to show anything that convinces me he's ready to be a striker at this level and mentioning Elanga, in my view, is beyond ridiculous.

International tournaments are not gruelling 9 month long seasons though are they? You'll notice that last season, Ole only ever played him once a week. Why do you think that is?

If we are to get rid of Martial, the only way it'll work is if we bring in a good striker to replace him. In this event, I'm completely open to the idea, otherwise, let's keep him until we have a replacement.

You've decided to throw together another long post filled with nothing but absolute nonsense. I'm not sure if it's just a blind hatred towards Martial causing you to do this or if you're just completely underestimating the challenge we're facing this season, but I think you need to have a longer think about the situation.
I couldn't be arsed to look up the stats at the time of writing, because I didn't think someone would be so pedantic to take it literally. If the stats surprise you and you couldn't tell he was shite before winter, you should drink less. If you still think it's a lie read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

You drivel on about the length of my posts, but your word count was higher than mine, Dorsey. Take your own advice:
You can keep writing essays but everything in them will still be shit. You should save yourself some time and effort by shortening them.
You've been writing essay upon essay spouting nothing but complete and utter shit. It's annoying. You clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about so my suggestion is to keep it short and sweet to prevent you wasting everyone's time.
Save yourself time and effort and shorten your shit-filled essays. It's annoying and your wasting everyone's time!

I'd love to stay and chat but I'm afraid I'm out of characters.

Raven

I couldn't be arsed to look up the stats at the time of writing, because I didn't think someone would be so pedantic to take it literally. If the stats surprise you and you couldn't tell he was shite before winter, you should drink less. If you still think it's a lie read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

You drivel on about the length of my posts, but your word count was higher than mine, Dorsey. Take your own advice:

Save yourself time and effort and shorten your shit-filled essays. It's annoying and your wasting everyone's time!

I'd love to stay and chat but I'm afraid I'm out of characters.
I'm glad you've decided to shorten your posts, thanks. If you'd like to engage on a few of the points I've made, I'd be happy to converse but I suspect you don't have anything to add. You have a good one.

DavelinaJolie

Lukaku is 28 and has hit average goalscoring returns in most seasons. What was it before he left? 12 in 30+ games in the league? Well, average is not the right word… but for 100M you don’t want to buy stable, decent or whatever. Chris Wood scored more goals last year than Lukaku did for us in his last season.

Guess the price for Martial is fair given his low status right now and the fact that United are horrible at hiding just that. Lukaku however, the price is ridiculous and way too high for a heavy 28 year old and the notion that he’s going to struggle with keeping levels once he turns 30. Last part is entirely my opinion of course, but he has had a long career and is so big, I struggle to see how he’s going to stay as agile and fresh - we’ll see.
It's weird. I was just thinking if It's could shift Martial maybe they could get a player like Wood relatively cheap as a backup striker.

UncleBob

Why do some still think it's realistic that we're even interested in selling him this season?

It makes no sense, whatsoever

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If we are to get rid of Martial, the only way it'll work is if we bring in a good striker to replace him.
I think part of people's thinking here (wanting him sold ASAP) has to do with a suspicion that he isn't suitable for a backup role.

If we can trust him to give 100% trying to prove himself at either CF or LW as someone who is - per now - behind several others in those positions (at least according to fan opinion), there's no urgency to move him on: if he actually steps up, everybody's happy. But many have simply started to doubt that he'll ever amount to much - AND that he won't react well to being, essentially, a backup option.

If he'd been an unproven kid, none of the above would worry anyone. But he isn't - he's on a huge contract and should, by normal standards, be the default starter in whatever position is considered his best (he's 25 now and on more money than anyone in our squad except Pogba and DDG according to most sources).

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'm glad you've decided to shorten your posts, thanks. If you'd like to engage on a few of the points I've made, I'd be happy to converse but I suspect you don't have anything to add. You have a good one.
Ironic, considering you couldn't even manage to engage on my tiny little paragraph :lol:

You took the words right out of my mouth. What more could I possibly add?

Raven

I think part of people's thinking here (wanting him sold ASAP) has to do with a suspicion that he isn't suitable for a backup role.

If we can trust him to give 100% trying to prove himself at either CF or LW as someone who is - per now - behind several others in those positions (at least according to fan opinion), there's no urgency to move him on: if he actually steps up, everybody's happy. But many have simply started to doubt that he'll ever amount to much - AND that he won't react well to being, essentially, a backup option.

If he'd been an unproven kid, none of the above would worry anyone. But he isn't - he's on a huge contract and should, by normal standards, be the default starter in whatever position is considered his best (he's 25 now and on more money than anyone in our squad except Pogba and DDG according to most sources).
All of what you've said makes sense but it doesn't change the fact that if we sell a striker, we need a new striker.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we'd sold Martial for 50m and signed someone like Ings for 30m, great. We would have made 20m in transfer fees swapping one player for another who has played more games and scored a better rate in each of the last two PL seasons.

Just selling Martial and not replacing him though? Less keen. If anything the concern is we're a bit short at CF as is given Cavani can't play every week, Greenwood is a kid and Martial is Martial. We don't make it better by reducing ourselves to two thirds of those options.

Raven

Ironic, considering you couldn't even manage to engage on my tiny little paragraph :lol:

You took the words right out of my mouth. What more could I possibly add?
I addressed your points, hence my essay. I also asked you a number of questions, which, so far, you've failed to answer.

Suedesi

Is that entirely an above board term? Nothing wrong with abbreviating the name - calling Australians Aussies is just a norm, for example. But then, to call a German a Jerry would be a little bit of a faux pas.
Are you asking me? I certainly didn't use it in a derogatory way and that name has been used on the CAF for decades so unless something changed overnight it is above board.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
All of what you've said makes sense but it doesn't change the fact that if we sell a striker, we need a new striker.
Yes - and I wouldn't simply sell him here and now either (unless someone offers genuinely great money for him, which seems very unlikely).

As it stands, with Rashford's situation and whatnot, I'd rather keep him and gamble on him being semi-useful at least.

Might add that the above holds true if we're actually serious about challenging this season - and not just happy with entering yet another stage of a rebuild process.

Desperado

It’s tricky. Ideal scenario is we replace Martial with Haaland next summer, but what if we could get more for Martial this month? Other clubs might low-ball us next year if they know we’re selling Martial to fund Erlin.

We have Rashford, Sancho and James for the left wing and Cavani, Greenwood and Rashford (not his best position) for CF - I think that’s enough cover to get us through the season.

Of course, Martial has been hot and cold but he may have a great season and increase his value; either way I don’t think he’s long for this club, not with a potential superstar CF signing a year away. I’d let him go now for the right price.

eltigreFalcao

Talk to me abou outright lies please

Raven

Yes - and I wouldn't simply sell him here and now either (unless someone offers genuinely great money for him, which seems very unlikely).

As it stands, with Rashford's situation and whatnot, I'd rather keep him and gamble on him being semi-useful at least.

Might add that the above holds true if we're actually serious about challenging this season - and not just happy with entering yet another stage of a rebuild process.
Exactly.

I still think he can comeback and have a big season this season but I have no issue with those who don't. I just feel we need to be sensible and not weaken our squad for the sake of it.

UncleBob

Some don't like him and want to sell him just for the sake of selling him, being proven right. It's hardly more complicated than that, heck, some are still unhappy about Mourinho being sacked, whatever floats their boat i suppose. Martial kept fighting to get back into the starting lineup when he kept being benched by Mourinho, he was one of the few feckers that actually performed well at the start of the 18/19 season. The notion that he's sulking and being detrimental to the rest of the squad is make belief. He didn't shy away from it then and there's little to suggest he'll do it now. Ole tolerates quite a lot, but not that.

If we get rid of Martial this summer then we have to bring a striker in as backup\alternative to Cavani.

Rashford
Greenwood
Cavani
Martial
Sancho

We're unlikely to play more than 3 of them together, 5 players to rotate between 3 positions is hardly overkill, especially when we'll have to be careful not to play Cavani too much...With Rashfords surgery and resting period, Sancho just returning to training, Cavani returning late, we're not exactly well stocked for the start of the season.

Everything points in the direction that we'll go all in for Haaland next summer, so trying to go for a first choice up front this summer when available strikers (quality ones) are difficult to sign makes no sense at all.

So no, it makes no sense to sell him this summer.

tomaldinho1

This forum genuinely amazes me. why sell him? Guy scored 20+ goals in his first season upfront, then had a poor season when - let's be honest - none of our strikers were that amazing (Rashfod was top with 11 goals). He's hardly an old player or a crock and you can't replace him with a netter player for £50m. Greenwood, Cavani, Martial as three ST options is excellent depth

Suedesi

Raven

This forum genuinely amazes me. why sell him? Guy scored 20+ goals in his first season upfront, then had a poor season when - let's be honest - none of our strikers were that amazing (Rashfod was top with 11 goals). He's hardly an old player or a crock and you can't replace him with a netter player for £50m. Greenwood, Cavani, Martial as three ST options is excellent depth
There is literally no point in selling him and we can just be thankful that the people making the decisions aren't as short sighted as some posters on here.

Teja

250k per week is including all bonuses which won't be achieved if he is not starting games.
Please stop perpetuating this. He is on 180k a week. The 250k comes from end of year bonuses if targets are met which is then broken down over a weekly fee so people like us can wrap their heads around it and it sounds more dramatic. Many many many players are on deals like this. What we hear from papers is the exaggerated and maximum fee they could earn in a year.
180k p/w is pretty steep as well right? Reports say Salah / Mane are on something like 170k / 220k p/w and that's all-in. Very few players in the world make >180k p/w and almost every one of them is a nailed on starter for their club (I think literally everyone except Bale?).

City for instance have just KdB, Grealish and Sterling on that money.

TheNorwegian

I really think Martial has got his chances. Should not say much about his efforts against Everton, since he has been out for 4 months.
But I think his development has been bad in the years he has been here. In addition, his attitudes are very bad. Seems like it's going to be hard to sell him too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
180k p/w is pretty steep as well right? Reports say Salah / Mane are on something like 170k / 220k p/w and that's all-in. Very few players in the world make >180k p/w and almost every one of them is a nailed on starter for their club (I think literally everyone except Bale?).

City for instance have just KdB, Grealish and Sterling on that money.
How do City and Liverpool have bigger wage bill than us?