Martial agent looking for a new club for him

Tallis

I think we keep him another year until we can resolve the No 9 position (Mason steps up or we get another 9). He can be replaced on the left by Elanga and / or Pellistri but we need a backup 9 when Cavani is injured (and assuming Mason is still learning his trade at 9). But if we get a €50m + offer this summer, I would be ok moving him on.

Tarrou

for £50m would you REALLY drive Martial to Italy yourselves, though?

It's a long-ass drive and he's a sulky bastard, what would you even talk about for like 35 hours?

I'd like the club to get £50m if it came down to me to drive him there, I'd rather just keep him :lol:

Drainy

It's a long-ass drive and he's a sulky bastard, what would you even talk about for like 35 hours?

I'd like the club to get £50m if it came down to me to drive him there, I'd rather just keep him :lol:
It would be an awkward conversation! Especially since you're driving him down because you think he's crap.

sugar_kane

Going by their careers Martial always responded well when he had to fight for his position.
Has he? Fairly certain his worst two seasons were when we brought in Zlatan and Cavani respectively.

Rather than rise to the challenge like Shaw when we brought in Telles he seemed to shrink and sulk both times.

arthurka

I would sell him for 50m and just write 45m into the books so I could rent a shuttle for him to drive him to Milano.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Has he? Fairly certain his worst two seasons were when we brought in Zlatan and Cavani respectively.

Rather than rise to the challenge like Shaw when we brought in Telles he seemed to shrink and sulk both times.
Zlatan signing had nothing to do with Martial. He was LW back then, it was Rashford who used to play as CF, so everyone thought Zlatan will be stop gap for a year or 2 and Rashford will be our next CF. Martial played as LW.

Andersons Dietician

Whether Martial or Greenwood starts up top should give us an indication of the manager's intentions.
Martial might not even be deemed fit enough yet to start as he just played his first game in 4 months and not that long back in training. Think we’ll get some sort of combo of Sancho, James Greenwood with Martial coming off the bench. So I don’t think anything can be gathered from who is selected that first game as they’ll still be all trying to gain fitness.

Lingard has covid right.

Redcy

Martial might not even be deemed fit enough yet to start as he just played his first game in 4 months and not that long back in training. Think we’ll get some sort of combo of Sancho, James Greenwood with Martial coming off the bench. So I don’t think anything can be gathered from who is selected that first game as they’ll still be all trying to gain fitness.

Lingard has covid right.
Yeah Martial has barely been back to training he has taken all summer off and as far has been discussed elsewhere not even done basic training.

Chances are we start with Lingard, Sancho and Greenwood, or probably James, but I wouldn't be surprised to Jesse play at the start.

crossy1686

career ending
Big season for the lad! Rumours that he was offered to Inter this summer, but you can only imagine that's with the intention of a move next summer if he doesn't tear things up this year. With Cavani missing the first few games, and being 34, he really needs to dig in this year if he wants to make it.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah Martial has barely been back to training he has taken all summer off and as far has been discussed elsewhere not even done basic training.

Chances are we start with Lingard, Sancho and Greenwood, or probably James, but I wouldn't be surprised to Jesse play at the start.
I had Jesse down first too but then remembered he I think has Covid so that would write him off I would think unless its not true.

There aren’t really that many options. Elanga has a knock but might be alright by then. don’t think Cavani is back yet, Amad??, Jesse possible Covid, Rashford out, Martial fitness.

So kinda leaves

Greenwood
James
Sancho**
Martial**

guess Pogba could play off the left or Bruno and VDB somewhere in there or even Mata.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ok but you know he is a sulky bugger. He might even vanish on you if you stop on the way half way through.
I'll learn some patriotic French folk songs and start to sing them in the car. No French person can resist that, if there's anything they love to do it's loud singing of French songs on a journey, he will chime in and be occupied.

Scholsey2004

Lingard has covid right.
I dont know and i doubt it would affect team selection if he has, not because i think he's a bad player but because we've got far too many senior players competing for the front four positions.

sugar_kane

Good to hear we’ve put the speculation to bed, it would be daft to sell him now with Rashford out and Cavani not even back training.

Get it done in 12 months when (fingers crossed) we have Haaland and Greenwood has another years experience under his belt.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Good to hear we’ve put the speculation to bed, it would be daft to sell him now with Rashford out and Cavani not even back training.

Get it done in 12 months when (fingers crossed) we have Haaland and Greenwood has another years experience under his belt.
Martial is not ready to play serious football either. Mata looks more ready to play than Martial at this point. If we keep him, it'll be because of other reasons.

sugar_kane

Zlatan signing had nothing to do with Martial. He was LW back then, it was Rashford who used to play as CF, so everyone thought Zlatan will be stop gap for a year or 2 and Rashford will be our next CF. Martial played as LW.
I honestly don’t think that’s true but am happy to be proven wrong.

We signed Zlatan in Mou’s first season, and LVG played Martial as a centre forward, it was Jose who pushed him out to the wings.

That was also the season he had a strop because he lost the 9 shirt, I thought that was a shitty move by Jose but again not a great showing from Martial mentality wise.

Raven

As expected.

40+ pages of wanting Martial to leave because of Duncan Castles report. Only on redcafe.
The hatred is real man, I can't understand for the life of me why there is a gang of posters tying themselves up in knots to discredit him and justify his sale.
Yeah posters can park their cars for now, no need him drop to Italy.
Yup, although I'm sure Anto would have loved their company.

Raven

Yes, it is.
Though it was funny reading all these stupid comments)
Hopefully, Tony plays well this season. This season will be crucial for him, he needs to deliver.
Agreed, if he doesn't perform this season, he'll be out I'd imagine.

roonster09

Scout
I honestly don’t think that’s true but am happy to be proven wrong.

We signed Zlatan in Mou’s first season, and LVG played Martial as a centre forward, it was Jose who pushed him out to the wings.

That was also the season he had a strop because he lost the 9 shirt, I thought that was a shitty move by Jose but again not a great showing from Martial mentality wise.
Martial was already a winger in his first season, Jose moved Rashford to wing position. Rashford was CF and Martial was LW in the second half of Van Gaal's season.

It was pathetic move to take his shirt number without telling him, that was the problem. Any first team player would have done the same, manager should inform player and ask him, not just take away the number as if he is some youth player just promoted. Maybe Jose thought he can do whatever he wants and bully whoever he wants (I have no doubt considering how he treated Shaw, Martial)

Player being disappointed when he lost shirt number tells nothing about mentality, player after being scapegoated just because he was with his wife during the labor and took extended leave (It was reported there was some complications) and then won his position with his on pitch performance tells more about his mentality. He did same thing in the second before too, in 2017-18 when he started from bench and then won the position against Rashford with his on pitch performance. Those things tells more about his mentality than when he reacted badly for the dick move by Jose.

OL29

Martial is not ready to play serious football either. Mata looks more ready to play than Martial at this point. If we keep him, it'll be because of other reasons.
It’s a bit unrealistic to expect him to look ready after 1 pre season game, following a 5 month injury lay off. Pretty sure the coaching staff will give him a few games to get his match sharpness back.

Djemba-Djemba

I think the Rashford injury, Cavani staying another year and the fact Covid has made all but the oil clubs, who don't want him, skint has meant he's got another chance at Utd this season.

Let's hope he takes this chance.

When he's playing well he's fantastic, he was disgracefully poor last season so it would be tough for him to be worse.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
As expected.

40+ pages of wanting Martial to leave because of Duncan Castles report. Only on redcafe.
I'd say that is a symptom of 6 years of watching Martial and waiting, hoping he would eventually come good. Most posters have realised that will not happen now and we need to move him on.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It’s a bit unrealistic to expect him to look ready after 1 pre season game, following a 5 month injury lay off. Pretty sure the coaching staff will give him a few games to get his match sharpness back.
Obviously. I think it'll take him weeks to get up to speed. Which is why I believe there are other reasons we're keeping him than "we need him at the beginning of the season". Maybe we still see the future with him, maybe we think we can get better money next year. I'm fine with whatever Ole decides.

Redcy

we wont be selling him in 12 months when he is on effectively 250k per week, and worth around 20m.

BorisManUtd

I'd say this is a 'make or break' season for both him and van de Beek. Martial was our best player in 2019/20 season next to Bruno imo, so deserves another chance.

Redcy

Martial was already a winger in his first season, Jose moved Rashford to wing position. Rashford was CF and Martial was LW in the second half of Van Gaal's season.

It was pathetic move to take his shirt number without telling him, that was the problem. Any first team player would have done the same, manager should inform player and ask him, not just take away the number as if he is some youth player just promoted. Maybe Jose thought he can do whatever he wants and bully whoever he wants (I have no doubt considering how he treated Shaw, Martial)

Player being disappointed when he lost shirt number tells nothing about mentality, player after being scapegoated just because he was with his wife during the labor and took extended leave (It was reported there was some complications) and then won his position with his on pitch performance tells more about his mentality. He did same thing in the second before too, in 2017-18 when he started from bench and then won the position against Rashford with his on pitch performance. Those things tells more about his mentality than when he reacted badly for the dick move by Jose.
So what was Ole's dick move toward Martial last year? Only playing him in 1500 minutes?

Bristol_Red_87

I'll learn some patriotic French folk songs and start to sing them in the car. No French person can resist that, if there's anything they love to do it's loud singing of French songs on a journey, he will chime in and be occupied.
What's your back up for when you lose your voice?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I like Anthony but if there was a serious offer on the table from the likes of Inter if they lose both Martinez and Lukaku then I wouldn't say no as I think we would have enough to cover him. It would be sad to see him go because there is clearly a great player in there somewhere. I just don't think we will see the very best of him at United. It happens sometimes.

roonster09

Scout
So what was Ole's dick move toward Martial last year? Only playing him in 1500 minutes?
:lol: At least should properly check how many mins he played and for how many games he was available.

He played 2422 mins and he was injured for months

CL - He was available for 5 games and he played all 5 games, only game he missed was due to injury (played 95% of the mins he was available for)

Europa league - He stared 2/3 games he was available, other game he came on as a sub. Then missed all other games because of knee injury.

PL - He started 17/23 games he was available. 5 games he came on as a sub. Rest he missed due to suspension and injuries. (He played 71% of the PL mins he was available for)

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
:lol: At least should properly check how many mins he played and for how many games he was available.

He played 2422 mins and he was injured for months

CL - He was available for 5 games and he played all 5 games, only game he missed was due to injury (played 95% of the mins he was available for)

Europa league - He stared 2/3 games he was available, other game he came on as a sub. Then missed all other games because of knee injury.

PL - He started 17/23 games he was available. 5 games he came on as a sub. Rest he missed due to suspension and injuries. (He played 71% of the PL mins he was available for)
It's actually not 100% clear who Ole sees as first choice because there hasn't been a long spell when both him and Cavani have been fully fit at the same time.