Martial agent looking for a new club for him

UncleBob

He perhaps is not ready to get into our best starting XI, but at the very least he is ready to get all the minutes that James was receiving earlier - it will help him further develop.
James had 26 appearances in the 20/21 season, around 1521 mins, there's nothing that suggests Amad is ready for that.

Alemar

James had 26 appearances in the 20/21 season, around 1521 mins, there's nothing that suggests Amad is ready for that.
There is a lot that suggests that James himself is not good enough for that. We need to discontinue playing average players if we want to challenge for big things

UncleBob

There is a lot that suggests that James himself is not good enough for that. We need to discontinue playing average players if we want to challenge for big things
Hardly changes the fact that Amad doesn't look ready.

With the signing of Sancho, we'll see far less of James.

A realistic view on things is that Amad and Mejbri will be given chances in the league cup, early fa cup, a few appearances in various league matches depending on score/situation, and hopefully they can feature more for the first team in the 21/22 season. Maybe one of them will be impressive enough to warrant more time this season, but that would be a positive surprise and not something to expect

Getting rid of first team players in positions where we're light, and hoping that Amad is ready when called upon, is a fairly daft idea if we want to challenge for anything..

arthurka

I might actually clandestinely make a stop before the Alps and drop him off at Säbener Straße in München, as I think he's a good player and absolutely wouldn't mind having him as a backup attacking option instead of, err, Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting.
Good thing he is in a good mood after all you're French singing. Then he won't mind either.

bosskeano

saw reports this morning that Inter were going to offer 50m for Martial once the Lukaku deal was done but Ole wasn't going to sign off on it

eltigreFalcao

I've called out lies in this thread but not to do with any of the above, everything else is an opinion. Saying things like "in my opinion" is so redundant because if I say it or write it, it's my opinion, unless stated otherwise. I suggest you work on your comprehension skills.

Rashford spends his entire time offside when he plays up top and offers nothing in terms of hold up or link up play.

Greenwood has had a couple of good performances up top but generally has struggled with the physicality of CBs.

If there is an example of Cavani playing twice in a week, it's an exception, nothing more. It was pretty obvious last season that Ole was only willing to play him once a week generally speaking so you saying it happened once means nothing.

All I'm saying in here is that selling Martial without replacing him is stupid, would you agree?
I definitely would agree to that

Raven

I definitely would agree to that
Great stuff. Sorry for coming across a little argumentative but I'm constantly seeing people pushing false narratives about Martial and have grown a little tired of it. I see now that we're on the same page regarding any potential transfer even if we disagree on the player himself.

United in sin

Some of our fans seem to really dislike our black French players and to spend loads of time making assumptions about their character and ignoring anything they've done well on the pitch in order to justify their belief that the club would be better off just getting rid.

I understand it more with Pogba, that has some basis in fact - even when the venom directed at him is well over the top - but with Martial it just seems like a vendetta.

Just saying...
I agree. It begins with the media and pundits like Gary Neville and Souness. Rashford and Lingard have been at the end of this as well despite being Brits and academy players who are often fiercely protected on here generally (look at McTominay).

I'm not saying these players are above criticism, but you can definitely see a difference in the very worst criticisms they receive (and the frequency of it) and calls for them to be sold while showing signs of acute amnesia when it comes to discussing their positive contributions on the pitch

Last edited:
Bollocks.

Every fan supports the club, every fan has players they like and dislike - some fans moaned at Maguire last year for turn of pace, some moaned at McTominays ability, some moaned about James’ shooting, some moaned about Lindelofs physicality and plenty moaned about the attitude/workrate of Pogba and Martial.

Leave the insinuated racism comments out of it.
What stands out to me about people's treatment of Martial is that poor performance is treated as evidence that he's lazy or sulking - i.e. that there's some kind of problem with his character. And then people are saying that selling him is necessary for our team, as if he is incapable of contributing, which is palpable bollocks. And they ignore or ridicule any argument that says that he might be useful to us.

I wouldn't say racism, that's too strong. More like unconscious bias.

Redcy

What stands out to me about people's treatment of Martial is that poor performance is treated as evidence that he's lazy or sulking - i.e. that there's some kind of problem with his character. And then people are saying that selling him is necessary for our team, as if he is incapable of contributing, which is palpable bollocks. And they ignore or ridicule any argument that says that he might be useful to us.

I wouldn't say racism, that's too strong. More like unconscious bias.
This is not about his poor form, it was about a lack of effort during that form, United fans tend to forgive a lot if you look like you are putting the effort in. People claim its Martials style, but it certainly looked like he couldn't give a rats arse about playing for United. Only Martial will know what was wrong with him, was he demotivated by having to fight for his place, was he being asked to play differently, was there another problem? Fact is he got a lot of minutes and lots of opportunities to fight his way back into form and rarely looked like he was making an effort. People have never said he doesnt have talent, that much is clear, its whether he has the desire is what people question, and the evidence was last season that his effort was lacking. Martial may be one of those players who has to be in a run of confidence to churn out performances, some players can fight through bad spells, Martial didn't and he never looked like he was getting better.

poleglass red

Be interesting now that Lukaku has signed for Chelsea, will Inter go for Martial. Interesting that Utd have put out stories in press that Ole has said Martial is not going anywhere. Is that really true or are we trying to force Inter's hand to do a deal quickly, thinking they have stolen a player Ole wants. Difficult to judge at this stage, but we will find out shortly.

redmanx

This is not about his poor form, it was about a lack of effort during that form, United fans tend to forgive a lot if you look like you are putting the effort in. People claim its Martials style, but it certainly looked like he couldn't give a rats arse about playing for United. Only Martial will know what was wrong with him, was he demotivated by having to fight for his place, was he being asked to play differently, was there another problem? Fact is he got a lot of minutes and lots of opportunities to fight his way back into form and rarely looked like he was making an effort. People have never said he doesnt have talent, that much is clear, its whether he has the desire is what people question, and the evidence was last season that his effort was lacking. Martial may be one of those players who has to be in a run of confidence to churn out performances, some players can fight through bad spells, Martial didn't and he never looked like he was getting better.
And we turned down an offer of £50 millin for him! I have a lot in faith in Ole but his desire to hang on to Martiall, Jones, Pogba and others baffles me, we dont need them.

Gandalf

And we turned down an offer of £50 millin for him! I have a lot in faith in Ole but his desire to hang on to Martiall, Jones, Pogba and others baffles me, we dont need them.
I don't believe for 1 second we were offered 50 million for him. Inter are broke and selling players to balance the books, they are signing Dzeko for 100 Lire and a plate of Gnocchi to replace Lukaku. If Inter did come in for Tony it would be something daft like a 2 year loan for 5 million a season with an option to buy at the end of the second year for a further fee which they will almost certainly never exercise.

Marwood

It's not that he doesn't understand movement.

To me it looks like Martial believes in a minimalist approach to football. Few shots, few dribbles, little aggression(the biggest problem), little closing down etc.

I don't know why this is, I feel how he looks playing football is to him more important than what actually works.

If he just did more of everything he'd be twice the player. Take more shots, be aggressive, go out of your way to annoy a centre back. Then the talent can come through. It doesn't matter how much talent you have if you simply don't apply enough quantity.

But it's not his style. He reminds me of Berbatov, they have this urbane sort of ideal they seem to aspire to.

Great if you're an interior designer but they're not. They're paid to run around on grass. So best get running.

Back To Madeira

Tony Martial will get 20 goals for us this season. I think he will have been really disappointed with his return after being in such good form the year before.

I know it may not look like he cares, but surely deep down he wants to be scoring lots of goals for a successful United team. With Rashford out for a few months he can hit the ground running and remind fans of the special player he can be.

Polar

And we turned down an offer of £50 millin for him!
£50m is a fair price today, but during this season his value may increase. I can’t see much of a downside to Martial’s price valuation at £50m, especially when Lukaku was sold for double price.

It’s CF-shortage in international football, and I’ll be surprised if the situation change dramatically within 1y.

tjb

If he stays, we should give our full support to him. He has specific deficiencies in his game that if turned around could make him a star player in the league. Hopefully he picks up on those faults or is happy being rotated across the attacking line. Having him compete with Greenwood and cavani could give us a rotation advantage up top and give Greenwood the time to become our 9.

Redcy

Tony Martial will get 20 goals for us this season. I think he will have been really disappointed with his return after being in such good form the year before.

I know it may not look like he cares, but surely deep down he wants to be scoring lots of goals for a successful United team. With Rashford out for a few months he can hit the ground running and remind fans of the special player he can be.
he isnt fit enough to start yet, did you see him the other day? Its going to be 5 or 6 weeks before he is fit, and thats assuming the issue is fitness.

redmanx

It was an honest question, thought you’d seen something. I’d assume it’s that we can’t find a buyer willing to pay for him/pay his wages but guessing in the same way you are.
To be honest, I thought Ole had moved Jones out, or was about to, so I checked the United website and hes in the squad for the coming season after recently signing a new contract. Its utterly unbelievable and Im very disappointed in Ole and only hope that his hands were tied re Jones, Martial, Lingaard, Pogba and others who are either simply not good enough or simply dont want to be at United.

redmanx

Yes, he might play well, for a while.

redmanx

If he stays, we should give our full support to him. He has specific deficiencies in his game that if turned around could make him a star player in the league. Hopefully he picks up on those faults or is happy being rotated across the attacking line. Having him compete with Greenwood and cavani could give us a rotation advantage up top and give Greenwood the time to become our 9.
Like most supporters I give my entire support to our players...until it becomes clear that they dont carte or dont want to be at United; tickets are not cheap so though I dont expect every player to run his guts out every second of every match I do expect them to at least try.

Like most supporters I give my entire support to our players...until it becomes clear that they dont carte or dont want to be at United; tickets are not cheap so though I dont expect every player to run his guts out every second of every match I do expect them to at least try.
But how can you seriously say Martial doesn't try?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's not that he doesn't understand movement.

To me it looks like Martial believes in a minimalist approach to football. Few shots, few dribbles, little aggression(the biggest problem), little closing down etc.

I don't know why this is, I feel how he looks playing football is to him more important than what actually works.

If he just did more of everything he'd be twice the player. Take more shots, be aggressive, go out of your way to annoy a centre back. Then the talent can come through. It doesn't matter how much talent you have if you simply don't apply enough quantity.

But it's not his style. He reminds me of Berbatov, they have this urbane sort of ideal they seem to aspire to.

Great if you're an interior designer but they're not. They're paid to run around on grass. So best get running.
Probably why Berbatov is such a fan of him.

I'm also not buying the 50m Inter offer, I remember they had gone for him in the past but I don't see them offering close to half the Lukaku fee for Martial who has been injured and missing all of last season.

M Bison

Supports
York City
To be honest, I thought Ole had moved Jones out, or was about to, so I checked the United website and hes in the squad for the coming season after recently signing a new contract. Its utterly unbelievable and Im very disappointed in Ole and only hope that his hands were tied re Jones, Martial, Lingaard, Pogba and others who are either simply not good enough or simply dont want to be at United.
But you’re again assuming it’s Ole wanting to keep him here and there’s nothing to suggest that’s the case. Unfortunately, he’s overpaid so getting someone to take over that level of wages/cost isnt easy, especially when the player has barely played.

Syphon Wallet

50mill for Martial and we should bite their hand off.

The only thing that would make this even remotely true, is they made a profit on Lukaku, they might fancy that again with Martial.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
From memory Jones signed that contract back when Ole was still in his caretaker role. Not sure how much say he would have had in it at that stage.

redmanx

From memory Jones signed that contract back when Ole was still in his caretaker role. Not sure how much say he would have had in it at that stage.
Jones wouldnt be the first player to be sold while still having a couple of years on his contract, and yes he signed a new contract at the end of 2018/19 so he cant have many years left on it; 3 at the most but probably 2 as I dont think even United would have given him a 5 year contract aged 27 with his fitness record. Ole became permanent manager March 2019,

northernfan

I like Martial, however, the problem is that United already has 3 of him in Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood. Great for cutting in from the wing. Can use his speed to get around that 1 v. 1 defender. However, none of them can make space for themselevs in a crowded box. Canvani is the only forward with the ability to create his own space. Send Martial out next season and grab Haaland.

Dante

Average bang
I like Martial, however, the problem is that United already has 3 of him in Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood. Great for cutting in from the wing. Can use his speed to get around that 1 v. 1 defender. However, none of them can make space for themselevs in a crowded box. Canvani is the only forward with the ability to create his own space. Send Martial out next season and grab Haaland.
The worrying thing is the Martial seems to have lost much of his speed these days.

Looks a couple of stones heavier than he was at his peak. And it's not all muscle.

His main weapons at the moment are his strength and his close control. But I don't think either is particularly world class. Though if he can rediscover his finishing, that would be. Big if.