Martial contract news| United confirm new contract signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

I don't think Mourinho's position at the club is all that strong to be honest. Most of his signings seem to regress under him and he's living pretty close to the edge of the cliff. I think Woodward will make this happen if Martial is willing. Obviously the player has to believe in the manager rating him.
Why would he though? Why would Jose want to get rid of Martial on a free?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, Rooney was a generational talent himself and he's obviously played with a Balon D'or winner and potential GOAT in Ronnie. These guys know what they're talking about.
Martial being a special talent is very obvious. It's ironic to be saying this given how he failed, but I wish Mourinho over the last 2 and a bit years had managed Martial the way LVG did. No one questioned his attitude, he worked extremely hard and he was treated like he was clearly a brilliant young player with an important future at the club.

Mourinho just threw him into the box that said "rest" or even in the one that says "don't like". I'm sure he had his strong reasons too. But then again, I've often felt that the manager wasn't the best fit for this club and theres elements of that which are relevant to Martial's development.

Green_Red

Martial >>> Sanchez... sell Sanchez and use some of his salary for Martial.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think Mourinho's position at the club is all that strong to be honest. Most of his signings seem to regress under him and he's living pretty close to the edge of the cliff. I think Woodward will make this happen if Martial is willing. Obviously the player has to believe in the manager rating him.
my biggest (and probably Martial's as well) is that if the manager gets overridden on this then he will refuse to give him a fair shot. We all know how petty Mou can be on this regard.

devilish

What makes you think he would do that?
There's at least 2 hints suggesting that.

A- Mou's obsession in bringing in a big name as LW despite having Martial at his disposal. He first fixated on Perisic then he went on bringing Sanchez on a ridiculous salary
B- Mou's criticism about Martial.

SirAF

Ageist
my biggest (and probably Martial's as well) is that if the manager gets overridden on this then he will refuse to give him a fair shot. We all know how petty Mou can be on this regard.

Eric's Seagull

Would be perfect to have his contract renawal announced tomorrow on the back of his winning goal against Juventus...
Agree with this. Would be great for that to happen been waiting to hear something about his contract. Hope it happens soon as I have always been a fan of his and hope he gets a good run in the side.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There's at least 2 hints suggesting that.

A- Mou's obsession in bringing in a big name as LW despite having Martial at his disposal. He first fixated on Perisic then he went on bringing Sanchez on a ridiculous salary
B- Mou's criticism about Martial.
A- I think Jose brought Sanchez in because he felt Martial was not yet ready to make that LW position his own, not because he doubted the lad's talent. Martial is one for the future, it's a safe bet that Jose would feel the same way given his experience within the game. I do think Jose had an issue with his attitude though, but in a recent interview Martial indicated he was prepared to knuckle down and work towards a common goal (he also indicated, in no uncertain terms, that Jose would absolutely not be receiving a Christmas card this year. But that's another story). The contract was offered shortly after said intervew.

B- True, but Jose has criticised everyone at the club (including non-playing staff) during the 3 years he has been at the club. I would hope by now the players have learned to take his (largely unwarranted) criticism with a grain a salt.

If Jose didn't wish for the club to extend Martial's contract, would he not have transferred that information to Woody beforehand? I mean, you would expect the club chairman to seek the manager's approval before he offers one of his players a new contract.

James Peril

That's 2 different things. Saying he signed cause he knows Jose wont be here is silly. Do you think Ed whispered that to him?
Why on earth is that silly to suggest? The players know what’s going on behind closed doors, we do not (in any capacity). His agent has direct communication with Ed over contracts, it would not be crazy to suggest there’s been a wink or two. I’m not saying I know the facts here, but Martial is probably the one with the biggest reason to leave United whilst Mourinho is still here. Above all the others, he’s the one that finds the bench even after a very good game.

SirAF

Ageist
Why on earth is that silly to suggest? The players know what’s going on behind closed doors, we do not (in any capacity). His agent has direct communication with Ed over contracts, it would not be crazy to suggest there’s been a wink or two. I’m not saying I know the facts here, but Martial is probably the one with the biggest reason to leave United whilst Mourinho is still here. Above all the others, he’s the one that finds the bench even after a very good game.
I don’t buy that at all. If that was the case then Martial would surely yap to his team mates - which would undermine the manager as they would know he’s basically a lame duck.

SER19

I can’t fathom that somebody can suggest man united are revealing to Anthony martials agent or the player directly that mourinho is going to be sacked at a certain date or a date to be decided. The sheer volume of common sense reasons this is an absurd notion is overwhelming.

Funny that I think this thread would be about ten times longer were it saying martial has decided not to sign a contract. In that case would it mean mourinho is ‘staying’ as If anything in football management is so bloody predictable. If united go out and beat juventus 3-0 with a lukaku hat trick then turn over city in 2 weeks I assume the club turns around and reassures martials bloody agent that mourinho is still going. Get real.

devilish

A- I think Jose brought Sanchez in because he felt Martial was not yet ready to make that LW position his own, not because he doubted the lad's talent. Martial is one for the future, it's a safe bet that Jose would feel the same way given his experience within the game. I do think Jose had an issue with his attitude though, but in a recent interview Martial indicated he was prepared to knuckle down and work towards a common goal (he also indicated, in no uncertain terms, that Jose would absolutely not be receiving a Christmas card this year. But that's another story). The contract was offered shortly after said intervew.

B- True, but Jose has criticised everyone at the club (including non-playing staff) during the 3 years he has been at the club. I would hope by now the players have learned to take his (largely unwarranted) criticism with a grain a salt.

If Jose didn't wish for the club to extend Martial's contract, would he not have transferred that information to Woody beforehand? I mean, you would expect the club chairman to seek the manager's approval before he offers one of his players a new contract.
Rashford can cover the LW role + we could have easily signed an experienced cover/competitor for Martial. Instead we opted for the experienced WC option on a huge salary which was meant to basically relegate Martial in a reserve role. That's hardly translates as a vote of confidence for Martial's ability. One could argue that Perisic's signing would have added a different skill set to the one offered by Martial. That's not the case with Alexis Sanchez whose basically another inside forward.

Regarding your second comment, I think Jose's opinion is being challenged at the moment which explains his 'I am a head coach' comment at the beginning of the season. I am no big fan of Woody but I can't blame him on that. Martial is a top top talent and Mourinho is developing quite a reputation of quickly fall out of love of very talented players including the very ones he brought in. It happened with Mkhitaryan. It also happened with Bailly and Lindelof (Mou's is aiming for a top CB after previously spending 60m on the pair) and by the looks of it, its happening with Sanchez, Fred and Dalot all of which are struggling to make it as first teamers. Such situation is not without downsides. The player might think that he's bigger then the manager while the latter might refuse to play players who are being forced upon him.

Red_toad

you don't expect Mourinho to spit in Martial's eyes after the latter had bailed him out, right?
You honestly 100% buy into everything published by the media that reflects badly on Jose don't you? Such a stream of negative posts, based on half truths, lies and quotes distorted to heck and you're in there like a shot. Shame you can't be happy that the team is performing and some of our players are performing at the levels they should be. Seems to be an awful lot of posters on here who just can't move on and post bile over and over again.

Jose has spoken many times on Martial's talent and it's always been very positive. Martial is very much looking like he's cemented his place back in the team. Then there's news he's looking to extend his stay at the club. But none of this suits some people and they just want to rinse and repeat bile that's been posted repeatedly for months and stuff that's no longer valid.

devilish

You honestly 100% buy into everything published by the media that reflects badly on Jose don't you? Such a stream of negative posts, based on half truths, lies and quotes distorted to heck and you're in there like a shot. Shame you can't be happy that the team is performing and some of our players are performing at the levels they should be. Seems to be an awful lot of posters on here who just can't move on and post bile over and over again.

Jose has spoken many times on Martial's talent and it's always been very positive. Martial is very much looking like he's cemented his place back in the team. Then there's news he's looking to extend his stay at the club. But none of this suits some people and they just want to rinse and repeat bile that's been posted repeatedly for months and stuff that's no longer valid.
I believe what I see and hear including the many times Martial had been criticised by the same Mourinho, his famous 'lack of squad inheritance' dig towards LVG and Mou's obsession with LW which lead to big bids for Sanchez and Perisic. There again, we all know how quickly Mou falls out of love with his own players which means that he'll eventually have to eat some humble pie and rely on players he had previously thrown under the bus. Which might explain why Woody might not trust him as he once did in terms of money and which ended up triggering Mou's famous 'I am a head coach' jab

Red_toad

I believe what I see and hear including the many times Martial had been criticised by the same Mourinho, his famous 'lack of squad inheritance' dig towards LVG and Mou's obsession with LW which lead to big bids for Sanchez and Perisic. There again, we all know how quickly Mou falls out of love with his own players which means that he'll eventually have to eat some humble pie and rely on players he had previously thrown under the bus. Which might explain why Woody might not trust him as he once did in terms of money and which ended up triggering Mou's famous 'I am a head coach' jab

Jose is the head coach! Unless you've a direct line to Woody, how do you know who dictates transfer policy?

Did we every actually bid for Perisic? Was there ever any concrete evidence? And if we did, did Jose disclose his tactics that shows him playing on the left wing?

Pogba's happy as well, but you won't believe his quotes as obviously he's trying to stay on Jose's good side.

When you set up to twist everything to suit, maybe you need to freshen it up once in a while, as its stale as mouldy bread. Players and manager now showing a United front toward the media, yet some fans are firmly onboard with yesterday's gutter trash.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

You know what I love, when people think just because a player is good enough in their minds to start every game then that should be it. None of you lot who complain about team selection are watching training day in and day out. Players have to perform to the required level and be consistent with it, just because they are a fan favourite doesnt mean they should automatically start. ALSO just because someone is bought for a huge fee doesnt mean they should automatically start either.

Last edited:

devilish

You what I love, when people think just because a player is good enough in their minds to start every game then that should be it. None of you lot who complain about team selection are watching training day in and day out. Players have to perform to the required level and be consistent with it, just because they are a fan favourite doesnt mean they should automatically start. ALSO just because someone is bought for a huge fee doesnt mean they should automatically start either.
It seems that very few players reach the level of consistency needed as Mou keeps on chopping and changing most of his squad. The irony is that those who actually feature regularly this season barely show any football to justify such loyalty (ex Matic, Lukaku)

Ramshock

It seems that very few players reach the level of consistency needed as Mou keeps on chopping and changing most of his squad. The irony is that those who actually feature regularly this season barely show any football to justify such loyalty (ex Matic, Lukaku)
Chopping and changing is of course the managers doing but if you think he is doing it just for the fun of it then I dont know what to tell you.

devilish

Jose is the head coach! Unless you've a direct line to Woody, how do you know who dictates transfer policy?

Did we every actually bid for Perisic? Was there ever any concrete evidence? And if we did, did Jose disclose his tactics that shows him playing on the left wing?

Pogba's happy as well, but you won't believe his quotes as obviously he's trying to stay on Jose's good side.

When you set up to twist everything to suit, maybe you need to freshen it up once in a while, as its stale as mouldy bread. Players and manager now showing a United front toward the media, yet some fans are firmly onboard with yesterday's gutter trash.
You're right I am pretty sure everyone is happy with a manager who constantly throws them under the bus when things go wrong. That's why most are commenting about players-manager relationship.

devilish

Chopping and changing is of course the managers doing but if you think he is doing it just for the fun of it then I dont know what to tell you.
If you ask me, that's due to the typical knee-jerk reaction Mou's show in his many press releases were he basically throws the very players he needs to sweat blood for him under the bus. Which in my opinion counterproductive as it demoralise players and it doesn't allow the team to settle down

devilish

If its typical of Jose then why has he won so many trophies?
I think its the reason why he lost two dressing rooms and his past two jobs. SAF believed in a stable side and in keeping personal issues under wraps if possible. He won far more then Mou did and he hasn't been sacked since his times at St Mirren

Ramshock

I think its the reason why he lost two dressing rooms and his past two jobs.
Nobody is denying he is difficult. But the club knew this before hiring him and then giving him a new contract. If Jose cut out his cnutish side he would be probably up there with Pep imo. There is no denying he is a good coach though and there is no denying in my mind that our fan base just doesnt have the patience for him and the press picks up on this and fueled everything thats been going on recently.

If Im Woodward I back him to the hilt and give him what he wants, he if doesnt deliver then you say goodbye. To be honest I wouldnt be surprised if he isnt back at the Bernebeu next season regardless.

R'hllor

Gold fish mode enabled i see or just trying to ignore specific instances in the past.

devilish

Nobody is denying he is difficult. But the club knew this before hiring him and then giving him a new contract. If Jose cut out his cnutish side he would be probably up there with Pep imo. There is no denying he is a good coach though and there is no denying in my mind that our fan base just doesnt have the patience for him and the press picks up on this and fueled everything thats been going on recently.

If Im Woodward I back him to the hilt and give him what he wants, he if doesnt deliver then you say goodbye. To be honest I wouldnt be surprised if he isnt back at the Bernebeu next season regardless.
On that first 2 sentences we both agree and don't think for one second I am in the pro Woody camp either. In my opinion we should bring in a joint CEO on football matters and let Woody do what he does best ie focus on money generating plots and nothing else.

Regarding your second comment its easier said then done. Its difficult to work with a man who falls out of love with players so quickly especially when they happen to be big transfer signings. I mean he threw a fit because he wasn't able to add his annual 30m+ CB signing. Meanwhile Mkhitaryan is gone, he seem to have lost trust in Bailly and Lindelof, his three new signings has barely featured (Fred vanished after scoring a goal) and his jabs with his biggest signing ie Pogba is annoying.United have big pockets but we are still a business.

Some might say we go for the middle ground ie we bring in a DOF who can sympathise with him regarding the football side of things while concurrently defend the club's corner when the manager ask for ridiculous things. I am not against that either. However don't forget that Mou had always struggled with DOFs. He threw a hissy fit at Emenalo, Grant and Valdano

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
On that first 2 sentences we both agree and don't think for one second I am in the pro Woody camp either. In my opinion we should bring in a joint CEO on football matters and let Woody do what he does best ie focus on money generating plots and nothing else.

Regarding your second comment its easier said then done. Its difficult to work with a man who falls out of love with players so quickly especially when they happen to be big transfer signings. I mean he threw a fit because he wasn't able to add his annual 30m+ CB signing. Meanwhile Mkhitaryan is gone, he seem to have lost trust in Bailly and Lindelof, his three new signings has barely featured (Fred vanished after scoring a goal) and his jabs with his biggest signing ie Pogba is annoying.United have big pockets but we are still a business.

Some might say we go for the middle ground ie we bring in a DOF who can sympathise with him regarding the football side of things while concurrently defend the club's corner when the manager ask for ridiculous things. I am not against that either. However don't forget that Mou had always struggled with DOFs. He threw a hissy fit at Emenalo, Grant and Valdano
The truth is the guy will blame everyone and anyone when things don't go his way. It doesn't matter if its Woodward or a DOF or the clubs scouts, Jose will blame someone

Christie

I think its the reason why he lost two dressing rooms and his past two jobs. SAF believed in a stable side and in keeping personal issues under wraps if possible. He won far more then Mou did and he hasn't been sacked since his times at St Mirren
Which modern coach does not lose dressing rooms? Some are just better at noticing early and bail before his team can let him down. I can't think of a winning coach that has a stable side and keeping personal issues under wraps if possible.

Bringing up Fergie is irrelavant, Fergie belongs to a time long gone.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Wasting your time. Some of Devilish's posts on football have been amongst the worst on the caf in all my 17 years on the forum.

He used to know better than sir Alex most of the time too.... Well at least according to him he did

SirAF

Ageist
Wasting your time. Some of Devilish's posts on football have been amongst the worst on the caf in all my 17 years on the forum.

He used to know better than sir Alex most of the time too.... Well at least according to him he did
:D

devilish

Which modern coach does not lose dressing rooms? Some are just better at noticing early and bail before his team can let him down. I can't think of a winning coach that has a stable side and keeping personal issues under wraps if possible.

Bringing up Fergie is irrelavant, Fergie belongs to a time long gone.
Zidane, Ancelotti, Pochs and Allegri to mention a few. I agree that its becoming more difficult to manage players these days which is why having managers with top man management skills is becoming a must

Christie

Zidane, Ancelotti, Pochs and Allegri to mention a few. I agree that its becoming more difficult to manage players these days which is why having managers with top man management skills is becoming a must
Zidane? Zidane struggled to motivate his team in the league last season and was clearly losing the dressing room. CL wasn't a problem as the players were all motivated to go for the threepeat. After winning the CL he immediately got the feck out of there before he got ousted this season to protect his reputation. This was a sign of knowing went to bail out.

If Mourinho quit on a high last season and let someone take over to flop right now, he would be seen as a great hero.

Ancelotti has lost so many dressing rooms at Real and Bayern, much more than Mourinho. He should also learn how to bail out early.

Poch? I thought we were talking about successful winning coaches here.

devilish

Zidane? Zidane struggled to motivate his team in the league last season and was clearly losing the dressing room. CL wasn't a problem as the players were all motivated to go for the threepeat. After winning the CL he immediately got the feck out of there before he got ousted this season to protect his reputation. This was a sign of knowing went to bail out.

If Mourinho quit on a high last season and let someone take over to flop right now, he would be seen as a great hero.

Ancelotti has lost so many dressing rooms at Real and Bayern, much more than Mourinho. He should also learn how to bail out early.

Poch? I thought we were talking about successful winning coaches here.
Zidane won the CL so I can hardly think of him losing the dressing room. Ancelotti didn't lose the dressing room at Real. Also I doubt that a manager can leave a club as a hero after a season were he won feck all. Oh well.

Red_toad

If you ask me, that's due to the typical knee-jerk reaction Mou's show in his many press releases were he basically throws the very players he needs to sweat blood for him under the bus. Which in my opinion counterproductive as it demoralise players and it doesn't allow the team to settle down

Shaw doesn't agree with your opinion. Some players find it a challenge.
It's all about opinions and how frequently you should state the same stale boring opinion. We get it you think he throws players under the bus, you mention it virtually every post you do. Change the record...

Christie

Zidane won the CL so I can hardly think of him losing the dressing room. Ancelotti didn't lose the dressing room at Real. Also I doubt that a manager can leave a club as a hero after a season were he won feck all. Oh well.
So to you, winning a trophy = not losing the dressing room.

I wonder why you even bother analysing anything, because winning something = everything is rosy, not winning anything = all is doom and gloom. Why bother caring what actually goes on under the hood?

Which is why Jose needs to leave for Real ASAP, he can't win here under this circumstances and haters will always find things to nag about if he cannot bring the big trophies.

devilish

Shaw doesn't agree with your opinion. Some players find it a challenge.
It's all about opinions and how frequently you should state the same stale boring opinion. We get it you think he throws players under the bus, you mention it virtually every post you do. Change the record...
Luke Shaw is a curious case. The guy's career was inflicted by injuries which surely impacted his performance. You expect Mourinho to sympathise with the player or at least get rid of him quietly as it would be insensitive towards a players who might have ruined his career playing for us. But no, that's not Mourinho's way. Then during the summer we went for Sandro but we weren't able to sign that up mainly because Juve was asking for silly money. After the summer Mou was forced to give Shaw a last chance and Shaw took the opportunity. He certainly couldn't rock the boat and had to say all the right things considering that he was in his last year of contract and no one would be willing to sign him up on the big money we signed him up following his disastrous stint with us.

Apart from him everyone seemed to have regressed from last season and that includes the very players Mourinho had signed ie Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic and Bailly (Lindelof was never good). We've got a 50m signing who vanished in the reserves after having the temerity of scoring a goal and last game he justified his inability to change tactics mainly because he didn't had Fellaini at his disposal to throw him on the pitch and spray him with crosses and long balls. Special one indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.