Martial contract thread | Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
Serious question mate, you’re labeled as a Chelsea fan, yet all you ever do is post pro Mourinho, anti Woodward stuff. You barely post anything in any Chelsea related threads, besides saying that they play boring football this season. Are you actually a Chelsea fan?
Tired of wasting my daily posts to this same question. Since you have read my reply history surely you have seen my same response to same question?

For the last time, I signed up on a United forum to, yes, challenge certain things I see people say about Jose. Not to talk about CFC, which I do on a CFC forum.

Aloysius's Back 3

Could the lad play as a false 9? There's a lot of talk now about moving Rashford upfront - whilst people may argue about playing martial & Rashford upfront vs Rashford & Lukaku -

Could we not play all 3?

Rashford - Lukaku
Martial

?

OldTrevil

Could the lad play as a false 9? There's a lot of talk now about moving Rashford upfront - whilst people may argue about playing martial & Rashford upfront vs Rashford & Lukaku -

Could we not play all 3?

Rashford - Lukaku
Martial

?
He is more than capable of course. Even Jose once admitted that he's very good in between the lines, but he prefers to shunt him on the wing with responsibilities to cross for Lukaku and track the fullback all the way back to his own goal :lol:

Aloysius's Back 3

He is more than capable of course. Even Jose once admitted that he's very good in between the lines, but he prefers to shunt him on the wing with responsibilities to cross for Lukaku and track the fullback all the way back to his own goal :lol:
There might not be any reason to watch this again - but check it if you have time

He clearly is meant for the central areas - the way he plays football is much more simple l, subtle, clinical when playing centrally. Whilst obviously most goals from any player will come centrally - however keeping him out wide does nothing to his game play as seen by the video. His strengths, his best positioning, his ball control his finishing makes him a CF, a False 9 or a LF - not a LW. Showed two goals where he started or finished off moves from LW whilst the rest he was in positions of a forward.

In my opinion - his most overrated ability is his dribbling & it's because of that he is made to play as a winger. I look at his goals - he has nimble feet to beat players in close situations within the box by twisting and turning his body & the ball with him rather than actually being a dribbler.

He should not be a winger, nor should he lead the line by himself - he should play as a striking partner either behind a striker or to the left.

pascell

You don't sound very confident.

Anyway, back to Martial: the signing must have been close for Mourinho to suggest it was nearly official. Why would there be a u-turn? Surely the conditions now are exactly the same as those which were in place when the two parties first sat down? Martial can't have u-turned on the basis of the Burnley result, can he?
Where did he mention Martials new contract, any quotes?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There might not be any reason to watch this again - but check it if you have time

He clearly is meant for the central areas - the way he plays football is much more simple l, subtle, clinical when playing centrally. Whilst obviously most goals from any player will come centrally - however keeping him out wide does nothing to his game play as seen by the video. His strengths, his best positioning, his ball control his finishing makes him a CF, a False 9 or a LF - not a LW. Showed two goals where he started or finished off moves from LW whilst the rest he was in positions of a forward.

In my opinion - his most overrated ability is his dribbling & it's because of that he is made to play as a winger. I look at his goals - he has nimble feet to beat players in close situations within the box by twisting and turning his body & the ball with him rather than actually being a dribbler.

He should not be a winger, nor should he lead the line by himself - he should play as a striking partner either behind a striker or to the left.
His best play comes as a pair of strikers, he likes to drift wide and work the channels.

He doesn't like having his back to goal with 2 defenders watching him IMO, he likes time to isolate a defender and attack them.

We should have stuck with Lukaku / Martial as a front 2 IMO, buying Sanchez while it seemed a good idea at the time just hasn't worked out, and has killed Martial's progress.

Aloysius's Back 3

His best play comes as a pair of strikers, he likes to drift wide and work the channels.

He doesn't like having his back to goal with 2 defenders watching him IMO, he likes time to isolate a defender and attack them.

We should have stuck with Lukaku / Martial as a front 2 IMO, buying Sanchez while it seemed a good idea at the time just hasn't worked out, and has killed Martial's progress.
I think Sanchez needs a change in position himself because he seems to lack the sudden acceleration more so than a lack of speed.

The frustrating thing is - it is not the Martial who likes to drift wide work the channels =

Lukaku - likes to drift wide right to work on his left foot
Martial - likes to drift left to work his right food & as you said isolate defenders. He also has the ability to drop deep to receive the ball; hence why he would not be a bad False 9
Rashford - he has the ability to work the right and left channel whilst providing a more direct attacking option
Lingard - I'd argue this guy is a forward too - just someone who works from deep to make the runs in between defenders
Sanchez - to me he could do any the roles the above guys are doing by adapting his game a little & do it better than anyone.

All the guys there are made for rotations of LF - RF & False 9/ attacking Cam.

Yet no one actually gets to play that - at least not regularly. From day one we had the opportunity to build understanding between players that are made to play in partnerships - not be in different corners of the pitch playing in positions they show weaknesses in.

Confusing.

acnumber9

Shunt him into the same position he’d played all his best football for United from?

Major

Supports
chelsea
Such a trouble maker this Martial dude. He needs to smile a bit more too. Such poor attitude. A little defensive shift ain't gonna kill you mate.
Just sell him to us and we'll show him......

SATA

Needs to take his chance and show he's desiring to succeed here now that Rashford is out for three games and he will be fresh during the international break now. Can't really see it happening though

Robbyb03

Put Martial/Rashford up top with Lukaku. Have Sanchez/Lingard play, alongside Pogba/Pereira, slight behind the pair of strikers.
GK: De Gea
RCB: Bailly
CB: Smalling
LCB: Rojo
RM: Valencia
CDM: Matic
LM: Shaw
CAM: Pogba
CAM: Sanchez
ST: Lukaku
ST: Martial

Subs:
GK: Romero
CB: Lindelof
CB: Jones
CDM: Fred
CAM: Pereira
CAM: Lingard
ST: Rashford

Mainoldo

Needs to take his chance and show he's desiring to succeed here now that Rashford is out for three games and he will be fresh during the international break now. Can't really see it happening though
How many times does he have to keep proving this?

Red_toad

Shunt him into the same position he’d played all his best football for United from?
We just get the same he's better as a striker blurb, whilst when he plays there, he's been pretty ordinary for us. As far as I've seen, he's at his best starting out on the left wing and having some freedom to move along the line.

OldTrevil

There's never a reason not to watch that again :)
The kid's a baller and he can finish. Needs to play as a forward basically. Funny as even though being a target man wouldn't get the most of his talents, he has the best hold up play out of all our attackers.

Posh Red

We just get the same he's better as a striker blurb, whilst when he plays there, he's been pretty ordinary for us. As far as I've seen, he's at his best starting out on the left wing and having some freedom to move along the line.
Well you don't have to look far. A few posts up there is a video with plenty of evidence showing him doing well through the middle.

redIndianDevil

I don't think he had a continuous run of games there TBF. Even Lukaku who plays every minute of every games is not that consistent, rotate Lukaku like Rashford and martial, his numbers would be abysmal too.

redIndianDevil

There's never a reason not to watch that again :)
The kid's a baller and he can finish. Needs to play as a forward basically. Funny as even though being a target man wouldn't get the most of his talents, he has the best hold up play out of all our attackers.
Yes, his hold up play is pretty good, even Lukaku gets shoved off because of weak first touch.

Red_toad

Well you don't have to look far. A few posts up there is a video with plenty of evidence showing him doing well through the middle.
Playing on the wing and drifting across that line yes, playing as a striker, not really...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He would be stupid if he signs new deal. Sure he will get more money than anywhere else but his playing time will be like it is now. Of course, i hope that he is stupid in this case:wenger:

JohnnyKills

Fook me you ruined him. :lol:
Bloody well said mate. Nothing further to add.
Quoting a load of mathematical jargon and making flawed comparisons with managers who've had lesser clubs or a shorter time in management. Yep, I don't know how I'll recover from that intellectual drubbing.

OldTrevil

Yes, his hold up play is pretty good, even Lukaku gets shoved off because of weak first touch.
First touch and body control are key to good hold up play, and they are Lukaku's main weaknesses but some of Martial's best attributes. So what is Mourinho's solution, is it playing them together? Nope. Is it rotating them? Nah. Instead it is to bench Martial and eternally play Lukaku regardless of form :lol:

JohnnyKills

Something doesn't add up here at all.

The club are trying to tie down a player who apparently wants to leave, and they're confident he'll sign - even though the source of his frustration is still sitting in the manager's office.

Seems there are three possible explanations here:

1. Martial hasn't got a problem with Mourinho at all - his agent said he wanted to leave just to get a fat new contract.
2. Martial's agent has told the club he'll sign a new contract if he's allowed to leave in January or the summer.
3. It's an open secret behind the scenes that Mourinho will be gone by the start of next season.

PepsiCola

The club are trying to tie down a player who apparently wants to leave, and they're confident he'll sign - even though the source of his frustration is still sitting in the manager's office.

1. Martial hasn't got a problem with Mourinho at all - his agent said he wanted to leave just to get a fat new contract.
2. Martial's agent has told the club he'll sign a new contract if he's allowed to leave in January or the summer.
3. It's an open secret behind the scenes that Mourinho will be gone by the start of next season.
I'm feeling the third is most likely. Especially if the season ends with no silverware.

2 and 3 seem the more likelier possibilities.

Personally for the time being I cant see where or when Martial will feature heavily in first team matters.Sanchez,Lukaku,Lingard,Rashford and even Mata seem to be above him in the pecking order for various reasons.

JohnnyKills

2 and 3 seem the more likelier possibilities.

Personally for the time being I cant see where or when Martial will feature heavily in first team matters.Sanchez,Lukaku,Lingard,Rashford and even Mata seem to be above him in the pecking order for various reasons.
Yeah i don't see him playing much either.

Silver

Can't really see this being the driving force behind Martial signing a new contract. A new manager next season won't automatically mean that Martial is going to be a starter. He's not at that level. And if this is such an open secret then we certainly won't be seeing Pogba and his agent behaving the way they are.

Realistically it's probably no 2 especially since Woodward is so intent on recouping transfer fees.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

No. 1 and I've suspected as much for a while.

Silver

You have to remember that players like Van Nistelrooy were sacrificed for the potential of young Rooney and Ronaldo.

Martial was pretty much our best player till Sanchez was signed and then thrown to the way side. I think a lot of this is overblown to be quite honest, but people need to stop being ridiculous. Mid table player :lol::lol:
What rubbish. He scored a handful of goals and barely any assists. Out of all the players last season, Martial was never close to being our best player at any point.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What rubbish. He scored a handful of goals and barely any assists. Out of all the players last season, Martial was never close to being our best player at any point.
He wasn't our best player, but not getting assists is a lie. I believe he had about 10 goals and 9 assists last season.

Litch

Love the lad but just don't see this working out. Rom will always start as he's pivotal to the system, Sanchez can be frustrating but always comes up with 'a moment' in games which often leads to a goal, Lingard again works hard and a very difficult player to track with his good movement, and Rashford is direct and again can create problems for defensives.

Martial can be better than all these players But even when they are not playing well still offer something whilst when Martial isn't, he offers very little and can look one dimensional. He seems to not be able to kickstart his game once things don't happen for him and gets progressively worst as the game goes on. Quite the opposite is Sanchez or Rom, who will misplace passes, Rom will miss chances but they keep going. Despite his criticism, I wasn't annoyed about Rashford's sending off cause at least it showed he's growing a set of balls, and would be good to see some emotion for Martial at times even if it's anger towards an opponent, you can turn that into a positive sometimes in games....like Rooney's volley against Newcastle lol

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I trust him more than any other player we have in one on one situations but I just feel he needs to work so much harder on other areas of his game to really unlock his potential.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I trust him more than any other player we have in one on one situations but I just feel he needs to work so much harder on other areas of his game to really unlock his potential.
Tend to agree

Mainoldo

Isn't that just a fan voted thing? What does it really prove? As this place proves, Martial has quite the devoted fanbase.
So who would you have voted for player of the month for August?