Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Trading Martial for Dybala would be a bit pointless as we would be just adding another player that seems to operate in the exact same areas as Pogba and Sanchez.
Dybala does fine on the right.

iphone5

I am so devastated with this news. Almost feels like losing Ronaldo. First time i have been disappointed in Mourinho.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He apparently seriously considered moving to us before you got him. He just got too expensive. So he must have had some sort of interest in moving to us. I don't think Real or Barca would be interested, PSG seem to be a long shot, especially considering FFP and Neymar's position, so this would leave us with the English clubs you wouldn't want to sell to, Atletico, Juve and us. And quite frankly, I think becoming the successor to Ribery is far the most attractive option for him.
Obviously I'm just guessing. But I think it would be quite likely.
Think it would come down to whoever pays the most money out of Juventus, Atletico or Bayern if all 3 put in offers for him, or if any of them include players as part of the deal. Doubt United would be pressured by Martial into a worse deal for the club just because he would prefer one team over another.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Woody likes to make a massive signing. Mourinho so far has signed Pogba in his first season, and Lukaku in his second. It may not be Bale, but if Martial does leave, then I see a big player coming in.

Two years my club paid lot of money for Paul [Pogba], last summer paid a lot of money for Lukaku, I’m pretty sure next year is going to pay a lot of money for one player.
Maybe but I was specifically responding to Utd getting Bale. It makes no sense to go after him. Pogba did make sense, as did Lukaku.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Martial doesn't seem to have the right mindset to reach the top, sadly. Other big teams won't take the high risk on him imo. He has to work more on and off the field.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's got buckets of talent, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jose is open to his exit. Despite all his ability, he doesn't seem to do what Mourinho wants a wide player to do, where as Sanchez, Rashford, Lingard and Mata do.

Mourinho doesn't hold players back from leaving if they are set on leaving so long as they get what the player is worth. By that token, there aren't many who can afford him.

I'd be surprised if it's just a "give my client a better deal" angle. I imagine Martial feels he's good enough to be starting every week, because he is, but he's still very rough around the edges. He doesn't seem interested unless the ball is at his feet, and he needs to add more to his game than just being a dribbler. He needs to make runs and sacrifice himself to disrupt defences, but he doesn't do that nearly enough. Personally I think he's worth persevering with from a coaching perspective, but perhaps Mourinho doesn't think so.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Rashford was trending on twitter about leaving United this morning and now Martial is

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Why play him on the right when he already played through the middle with Pogba before?

Pogba as a supporting midfielder for Dybala at no.10 got to the CL final. If we can get some other good acquisitions in the market to make our defense more solid that's a top top team.

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
What does martial offer? He can't finish like Lukaku and he isn't a dribbler like Sane.

After all the years I still don't know which is his best position. Rash Ford is far better then him and has more Potential

He is another Zahara and Welbeck

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Martial doesn't seem to have the right mindset to reach the top, sadly. Other big teams won't take the high risk on him imo. He has to work more on and off the field.
Silly to question his mentality. He was dropped, so he worked hard and was first choice before Sanchez was signed.

Paxi

Feck sake. Can't say I'm surprised.
Neither am I. I think he's lacking the mentality to break into the first team and stay there. So why lose sleep over a player like that?

Snafu17

Dybala is a no.10 so no idea where you got that from. Dybala also played very well with Pogba in the team at Juventus.

You've basically just made it up.
Well yeah, either of those spend large portions of the match in roughly the same position.

But he prefers to be a ten right? Because that's sounds very similar to the talk before the Sanchez transfer and now we barely ever play him outside of the position he is most comfortable in.

Handré1990

That would make sense if he was enjoying time here. He is barely getting any minutes, and is having to play third fiddle on the left after Sanchez and Rashford. You can see why he would want to leave.
This is going to be one of Mourinho's mistakes, again. Salah, KDB, Lukaku and now Martial.
Whoa now! I’m a big fan, and firmly believe he will be class, but as of now you might as well compare him to Messi and Ronaldo.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Some of the worship Martial gets on here is beyond ridiculous. He'll end up a good player, someone like Nani or Quaresma. Like them, Martial has the talent but also doesn't really have the mentality and drive to be the best he can be, you can see that in his performances on the pitch

Wouldn't be surprised if Wenger shows an interest though, if he's still Arsenal's manager next season
I don't understand these comparisons to guys like Nani and Quaresma. Those guys are tricky wingers, with flair and the type of players who have very inconsistent decision making, are often caught in between wanting to entertain and once in a while coming up with some end product.. whereas Martial is a much more simpler player, very efficient.. not really thrills and skills sort of player. Yet he's being painted as some sort of freestyler who is some sort of youtube legend.

I think he'll comfortably end up a more productive footballer than either of those guys, (though I do rate Nani and think he was underrated - different player to a Martial though IMO). He just needs an environment which is more patient, where he's give more freedom to play his natural game and a manager who believes in him. That said, going to Arsenal would ruin him as he wouldn't be pushed to reach the next level.

Spurs, Juve, Atletico, Bayern.. good teams - can see him doing well there.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What does martial offer? He can't finish like Lukaku and he isn't a dribbler like Sane.

After all the years I still don't know which is his best position. Rash Ford is far better then him and has more Potential
You're having a laugh. He's a better finisher than Romelu and his close control is insane. He lacks consistency which isn't helped by not getting a decent run in the team.

Vanya

if Martial leaving makes room for Griezmann then im all for it. That would also give us more balance.

Martial is a big talent and i really like watching him play but he's not a genrational talent like Mbappe. I dont think we'll regret losing him.

FerociousCorgis

Go on then, would you honestly put money on him having the desire Alexis showed and drag the team into getting those goals and winning the match?

Try to be logical not emotional and you would see I am bang on. The kid has room to grow yet and staying at the club would do him a world of good. He should stay and learn from Alexis about desire and drive etc. Skills will only take you so far minus desire and hunger.
hes a 22 year old french international player. He isnt some 16 year old kid who can sit on the bench and watch some 29 year old player run around and turn the ball over 30 plus times while trying to get a couple assists. All this sit and learn talk implies martial hadn't already proven he could adapt to the premier league and be effective. His numbers are pretty damn similar to sanchez's for the year, and yet he has gotten completely shafted throughout the year at various times by mou. As others have said it just looks so shortsighted, and really calls into question once again our point of buying sanchez. So overlooked is the fact that rashford also has been shunted out of any consistent playing time with sanchez. Would be curious with us knowing now that sanchez wasn't brought in for the RW slot, or even the 10 slot, would still want to sign him. I sure as hell wouldn't.

And where the hell was this "desire" from sanchez when we limped out embarrassingly in the champions league? Swear one comeback against city and all is forgiven for his past with us. I saw more from martial when he came on against sevilla desire wise than sanchez over his two legs of running around like a headless chicken.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
All the moaners out in full flow for a guy who has regressed from his first season. Would sell him to the highest bidder but with 2 years left on his contract, not worried he'd leave unless there are suitors who'd pay us what we want.

Zlatattack

Player plus cash for Dybala.
Feck Bale.
That would be nice. Not sure it'll happen. I like Martial, but like i said in the other thread, to play at Manchester United you have to be the best player in the position. We're not going to baby sit anyone. Him and Rashford should be looking to force the coach to play them, or give them games because they're just as good as Lukaku and Sanchez in training and then on match day when given the chance. Lingard did it, he forced himself into the spot that should be Mikhitaryans.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Think it would come down to whoever pays the most money out of Juventus, Atletico or Bayern if all 3 put in offers for him, or if any of them include players as part of the deal. Doubt United would be pressured by Martial into a worse deal for the club just because he would prefer one team over another.
Possible. But I honestly don't get the feeling you really want to keep him, or Mourinho wants to keep him and I don't think he's very keen on staying, either. Selling him now would make most sense, as you could make the most money now. But you can't forget the player in the equation. If Martial doesn't want to go to Juve or Atletico or prefers us to those clubs, you can demand all you want. That's what makes situations like these so difficult. And this is why I would expect him to cost about 60-70 million if he moves to us. Simply because we would most likely be his only real option.
It all depends on him, really. If he's open to move to multiple clubs you'll get good money. But if he has his head set on a single club, you won't get that much.

Silas

Neither am I. I think he's lacking the mentality to break into the first team and stay there. So why lose sleep over a player like that?
That's just nonsense though. That's exactly what he did before we signed Sanchez.

We'll most likely be looking for another LW in a couple of years, so this isn't a smart move at all.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's hard to know whether his unhappiness is a ruse for a better contract here, whether it's justified in that he's tried everything under Jose who just doesn't fancy him or whether he's sulked his face off in training and hasn't shown enough hunger.

Personally this season I've seen a player making the effort, winning his mini-battle with Rashford on the left and developing a good understanding with Lukaku being pushed aside by a 'luxury' signing (in that Alexis hasn't been deployed to solve an existing problem in the team, NOT that I regret his signing outright). From that standpoint, and though I like a player who will stay and fight through adversity as much as the next fan, I could see why a young in-demand player would put his feelers out.

I tend to believe Jose's terrible record with young players is largely a myth perpetuated by rivals and shit-stirrers but he seems to have a huge test of his credentials coming up this summer with Martial and Rashford.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Go on then, would you honestly put money on him having the desire Alexis showed and drag the team into getting those goals and winning the match?

Try to be logical not emotional and you would see I am bang on. The kid has room to grow yet and staying at the club would do him a world of good. He should stay and learn from Alexis about desire and drive etc. Skills will only take you so far minus desire and hunger.
Martial has scored match-winning goals for us before. Sanchez has stunk the place out when we needed a result (Sevilla comes to mind).

Dr. StrangeHate

The offer rejected by him, right? So let's just sell him and focus on building our team for the future. We have other positions that need more attention like midfielder, RW, RB, LB, even CB. And we have Rashford as Sanchez backup. Young and very talented.
Be completely honest here. If Mourinho was in charge of United when De Gea was making all those mistakes in his first two years, what would have Mourinho done:
1) Sell De Gea and get an established replacement in, as Goalkeeper is too important of a position to allow these mistakes.
2) Recognize De Gea's talent and coach him to become the goalkeeper he is today. Play him every game.
Now apply the same to Martial, Shaw, Periera, TFM, Alex, Chong, Gomes.

Rojofiam

Just fecking great...this is the news I’ve been the most afraid of since Mourinho’s arrival.

He’ll probably go on to become one of the best left wingers in the world...

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Well yeah, either of those spent large portions of the match in roughly the same position.
Sanchez is an inverted forward, Pogba is a dynamic centre midfielder. Dybala is a no.10. Where is this same position you are talking about?

Do you expect players to restrict themselves to a set position on the pitch, how are they supposed to link up? Positional overlap is normal for any team.

Paxi

Why play him on the right when he already played through the middle with Pogba before?

Pogba as a supporting midfielder for Dybala at no.10 got to the CL final. If we can get some other good acquisitions in the market to make our defense more solid that's a top top team.
Well if you are playing 4-2-3-1 then of course Dybala can be played as a ten but then we would need to buy another winger. If we don't then surely we would play Mata as a number 10 and Dybala out wide who plays there quite proficiently. Also Dybala would offer more pace than Mata. This is all highly speculative as we haven't even signed Dybabla and we would still need another RW imo.

Jig1234

If he leaves it says more about Utd as a club.

Poor business to sell a 22 year old with that much potential for short-termism. We beat Man City 3-2. It's great but we beat a team with a forward line of Sane, Sterling & Jesus. All early 20's.

Rashford, Martial, Pogba & Shaw - These should be clutch players at Utd. I still don't understand why we signed Sanchez when we are already stocked on the LW. We needed a RW because Mata does not have the pace. After Sanchez arrives, Martial is moved to the RW.
Rashford/Martial have flipped flopped out of the side a lot.

Lingard has been good but he has been rewarded when he has played well. Countless times Martial scores, gets an assist and is dropped the next game.

I think selling him will be Pogba 2.0. Backwards move. It's not just Martial because I've heard Rashford wants to leave too.

Both these players should be starting and playing at Utd. The fact that they're not is another example that Mourinho is not the best at working with young players. Which is why he buys players like Matic, Sanchez and wants Perisic. Ultimately we are creating a problem because the average age of the squad matters. It makes it harder to move people on in 2-3 years.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
If Rashford was french we wouldn't have this discussion. I find Rash the more exciting prospect of the two but Martial is also talented. Good balance, technique, acceleration, decent vision and decision making. He's only missing that determination and work rate. Don't know about his behaviour off the field but probably not the best.

I'm a big big fan of Rashford though. He's the best english youngster since Rooney and this is from an almost neutral fan! Electric, powerful and fast. The kid is being slowly introduced while fixing some of his errors but i can't wait to see him becoming a regular.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Martial has scored match-winning goals for us before. Sanchez has stunk the place out when we needed a result (Sevilla comes to mind).
Martial likely wouldn't have set up 3 goals quite like Alexis did.

Martial is not a better performer than Alexis. I cant believe this is even being discussed. He doesn't touch the left wing spot when Alexis is fit.

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
Ah the unforgivable Sevilla game. That’s it. Mate, humor me for a bit. Your starting front 3 for United as of today (based on form and no emotions), what would it be?