Martial | Di Marzio thinks he will stay

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Anyone who ever lead a group of subordinate will know that teamwork is valued greatly.

Jose is the manager and if his player cant follow his instruction then the fault lies in the player. Anything happens on the pitch the manager will be held responsible at the end of the day and it's hard if one player decided to do his own thing.
Tragically, Sky, you're in the wrong place. Mostly subordinates in here. And not the up and coming, go-getter types either.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
So if all you Martial lovers still think he's being held back by Sanchez, after that performance. Please put your hand up.

Shocking.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Selling Martial and bringing William does not seem like a bad idea
Letting Martial go and bringing in Timmy Mallet, at this point, would be an improvement. I can't actually believe how many people defend him here.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I have no idea why we didn't play him as a striker tonight tbh such was Rashfords 'performance' as one

Litch

Martial is a brilliant footballer but playing in the wrong era. Playing 4-4-2 with him as a winger or playing with another forward, he'd be outstanding. The world has turned a few times since playing that formation and front players need to be more 'rounded' footballers, they need to work harder too. The need to press, tackle at times to win the ball back higher up the pitch, be adaptable in playing across the three and score goals!!

I'm not sure he can adapt his game enough to play in a 3, and he's not good enough to change a system to accommodate him. We want to keep all the Aces in the pack but we already seen in Sanchez given he's only been here 4 months and not 2 years how round pegs in round holes actually works.

Martial find a club that fits your style of play but you'll struggle as I'm not sure any of top clubs are looking for 'wingers'. I also know the French team def aren't.....

GM K

It's simple really. If Martial is determined to leave, then he should be allowed to go. As long as he is properly replaced, I see no problem here at all. Players, no matter how good they are, need to fit in well into a club and feel a sense of happiness and loyalty to thrive.

Hawks2008

That's a deal that makes sense for us.
Finally a proper RW
A proper RW who's defining trait is his workrate and along with that inconsistent crossing and poor end product. Not a bad player but this wouldn't be a smart move.

Patrick08

We should play a 4312/442 diamond next season and use Martial and Lukaku together up front with Sanchez in behind them.

I don't personally see Martial leaving, for 2 reasons mainly one being united board reluctant to sell him and other being the clubs who dominate the ball aren't really interested in him where he would thrive in that possession based philosophy. Juventus ain't a club who likes to dominate the ball and play possession based football. Psg don't have the space to start him in first team and the only one who is a proper fit to play him on his strengths are bayern Munich who doesn't show enough ambition to buy players on extortionate prices and certainly not after Renato Sanches transfer and are not interested as per reports.

I see Martial only seeking assurances over playtime and his positions which is why he is reluctant to sign an extension. I have stopped believing in the crap paper talk these days.

Last edited:

SATA

So we are going to push Lukaku to the right wing and have Marital up top just to please him? He can do one to be honest. Your manager tells you where to play and you deal with it

peridigm

If he's been promised he will play as a center striker next season he will most likely leave. Jose plays with one striker so his minutes will be limited. I'd like us to play with two strikers but I don't see Jose doing that.
We wanted to see Martial and Rashford play at the same time. Didn't work out.
We wanted to see Martial on the left and Sanchez on the right. Didn't work out.
Maybe a loan would be on the cards.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
So we are going to push Lukaku to the right wing and have Marital up top just to please him? He can do one to be honest. Your manager tells you where to play and you deal with it
The story is a load of bollocks. If there was any truth then he would have played as a striker against Brighton instead of being mostly on the left. It was only the week before that Mourinho talked about subbing Martial on to give us width. Never in a million years would he promise Martial that he'd be playing as striker next season if he stayed at the club.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
My thinking hasn't been changed in the last few weeks. I love the player and his potential but too often we don't see the desire when things aren't coming off. An offer has been made and he doesn't seem to be interested unless it comes with playing time guarantees. That's certainly his prerogative, so no judgment but when you see players like Lukaku, Sanchez, and even Fellaini refusing to hide even in their poor matches, you have to wonder if he's got the personality to succeed for us. Mourinho wouldn't have made the offer if he didn't see a role for him so if he leaves, this should be judged as Martial's decision and not United/Mourinho.

Christopher Ellison

Martial has shown flashes of being very good. But, he does disappear during games and nothing. He is young, I still believe he can be a great player at United. The real question is, will he get the playing time here?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Never understand the underrating of Willian, I think he's a classy and consistent player. I honestly think he'd provide a lot of assists for Lukaku and has speed for on the counter.
He's excellent at transitioning the play on the counter but if you are expecting an assist machine you will be in for a very rude awakening, his end product is very hit and miss and that's being kind, his burst of form in that regard February-early March was an anomaly.

reddaz71

If we really are ready to let Martial go then surely there has to be a buy back clause involved, simply cannot risk letting him fulfill all that potential elsewhere!

haram

He's excellent at transitioning the play on the counter
This is what we struggle with though. From deeper areas we need to be transitioning better and I am sure Willian would help us with that.

Last edited:

Patrick08

The story is a load of bollocks. If there was any truth then he would have played as a striker against Brighton instead of being mostly on the left. It was only the week before that Mourinho talked about subbing Martial on to give us width. Never in a million years would he promise Martial that he'd be playing as striker next season if he stayed at the club.
What about change of systems, with 2 up front?

Micky Targaryen

What I find most baffling in this thread is that posters on here think that Willian is not as good as Martial. Willian is a brilliant player, twice the player Martial is currently, love his work ethic and desire to win games. Would love to see him in a United shirt.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You're talking about personality, I'm talking about someone's attitude towards perceived setbacks. You can not agree with the manager and their tactics but you have to have that 'I'll show you' attitude or be the type of person that see's a setback as a challenge to overcome, not something you lie down and accept. All the players you mentioned have that, whether they're professional or not is a different matter.
And what if you have that "I'll show you" attitude and even when you perform well you get dropped or played sparingly? And then get bagged for getting a game and the game goes badly? If you also aren't getting encouragement/support from the coach behind the scenes (and I have no idea if Martial is or isn't) then this can be very destructive for a young player and they can often need to move on for the sake of their career and mental health. Players aren't machines and young players need nurturing even if they are paid well.

Charles Miller

A proper RW who's defining trait is his workrate and along with that inconsistent crossing and poor end product. Not a bad player but this wouldn't be a smart move.
There is an obsession with end product in the English football. Players have their role and tacticals instructions according to their characteristics.

Willian is not playing as a wide striker or as a "Dutch" winger, like in Barcelona or Liverpool. He has a lot of defensive duties and is not always up front. He needs to be in the middle many times to provide some possession and help the transitional game.

Its not like Basket that stats tell the entire history. Just look some examples of minutes played in the league to produce a goal or assist:
  1. Mane 125 minutes
  2. Willian 136
  3. Isco 136
  4. Baley 142
  5. Hazard 145
  6. Mahrez 154
  7. Asensio156
  8. Alexis 158
  9. Zaha 223

haram

I know this is the Martial thread, but Willian would definitely be a fantastic signing for us.

Patrick08

There is an obsession with end product in the English football. Players have their role and tacticals instructions according to their characteristics.

Willian is not playing as a wide striker or as a "Dutch" winger, like in Barcelona or Liverpool. He has a lot of defensive duties and is not always up front. He needs to be in the middle many times to provide some possession and help the transitional game.

Its not like Basket that stats tell the entire history. Just look some examples of minutes played in the league to produce a goal or assist:
  1. Mane 125 minutes
  2. Willian 136
  3. Isco 136
  4. Baley 142
  5. Hazard 145
  6. Mahrez 154
  7. Asensio156
  8. Alexis 158
  9. Zaha 223
Football matches are largely decided by what happens in both the boxes than what happens in between. So for a work horse player it is very important that how efficient and effective he is in an opposition box.

mu4c_20le

What I find most baffling in this thread is that posters on here think that Willian is not as good as Martial. Willian is a brilliant player, twice the player Martial is currently, love his work ethic and desire to win games. Would love to see him in a United shirt.
You know what else is baffling? The fact that they have the same output this season. I like his work rate but I do not understand why people would want us to sign and probably overpay for yet another aging star, at the expense of a young prospect who hasn't even hit his prime yet.

dpansheth

You know what else is baffling? The fact that they have the same output this season. I like his work rate but I do not understand why people would want us to sign and probably overpay for yet another aging star, at the expense of a young prospect who hasn't even hit his prime yet.
Chelsea havent been in any good rhythm has something to do with that. Willian is a good player, played in a good team will earn him better stats I believe. IF Chelsea demands less than 60M I'd say lets get him. His abilities on and off the ball is what we desperately need on the right side. May provide good cover for Valencia as well till we figure out whom to play there. Valencia is on his last legs I am afraid.

VanGaalEra

Get him to sign a new contract and send him on a 2 year loan. Jose might not be here when he gets back and gives Martial the opportunity to play, improve and develop his game.

Janson

Yeah sure, Willian's defining trait is workrate. First time I've seen anyone claim this.

R'hllor

What ever people think of him and seems there is a trend of posters basing their opinions on their relationship with a manager, decision regarding Martial should be made without manager`s input shouldnt be trusted in this specific case.

Andersons Dietician

Chelsea havent been in any good rhythm has something to do with that. Willian is a good player, played in a good team will earn him better stats I believe.
couldn’t the same currently be said for us. That we aren’t in a good rhythm.

Anyway so Chelsea last year league winners he scored 8 and assisted 2 and created 0 big chances. He’s actually had a better season this year 6 goals, 7 assists and 6 big chances created. As I said earlier in this thread Martials stats are compatible to Hazards and better than Williams.

He and Hazard also both play in a system that allows them a lot more freedom than we allow our players.

Anyway he is a decent player, I just doubt he’d have that great of an impact on us as he is sort of another Lingard.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
couldn’t the same currently be said for us. That we aren’t in a good rhythm.

Anyway so Chelsea last year league winners he scored 8 and assisted 2 and created 0 big chances. He’s actually had a better season this year 6 goals, 7 assists and 6 big chances created. As I said earlier in this thread Martials stats are compatible to Hazards and better than Williams.

He and Hazard also both play in a system that allows them a lot more freedom than we allow our players.

Anyway he is a decent player, I just doubt he’d have that great of an impact on us as he is sort of another Lingard.
He is far better than Lingard. I used to argue how average Willian is going by his productivity which before this season was as good as Young and Young played as fullback for years.

I can easily say I was very much wrong. Willian is superb player and Conte had made a big mistake not playing him regularly. Even Hazard said how much he likes to play alongside Willian.

For me Willian's impact cannot be measured on stats alone, he has superb acceleration, very good shot from outside the box and he is very good dribbler. The way he shits the ball and crosses in one move just very good and catches so many defenders off guard.

He is also right winger and we don't have any. If we have a chance, we should sign Willian without doubt, not by exchanging Martial though. At the moment Willian is better but Martial will be better when he reaches peak and Willian will be 30 at the start of the next season. So if we can buy him for cash alone then we should. His work rate is very impressive and very much suited for counter attacking football.