Martial exit?

foolsgold

At his peak in 2019 - 20 he was good, but there wasn't enough of it. At most two acceptable years in 9 years here.

Worst post Fergie striker? Depends on your criteria, he's earned in excess of 100m pounds in wages, plus his fee. Maybe 160m all up? We've not had an remotely acceptable return for the investment.

lex talionis

I'm not having any excuses for Martial's leeching of the club of income he did not earn. Every footballer deals with injuries, some more than others (see Phil Jones) but Martial's repeatedly poor performances over the last decade cannot be excused on injuries alone.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sure but Zlatan added more than just goals. Zlatan just 'had it' and made others better too. Pogba was really good when Zlatan was the striker. Zlatan had some very important goals in the Europa League before he picked up that major injury that ended his Manchester United career. Lukaku was more of a 'flat track bully' and scoring his goals against weaker opponents. I dont really remember any defining Manchester United Lukaku moments. I mostly remember his bad first touch. Ronaldo was good in his return season. Won some games by himself (Spurs game for example) but his arrival didnt improve the team while Zlatan his arrival did.
Maybe, you just don’t like him. If you did, his significant contribution to ‘that night in Paris’ would be the first that comes to mind. We talk/talked about that game so much, and nobody ever seems to talk about how two Lukaku goals got us right back in the tie. Then there was ‘that night at Palace’ too!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not having any excuses for Martial's leeching of the club of income he did not earn. Every footballer deals with injuries, some more than others (see Phil Jones) but Martial's repeatedly poor performances over the last decade cannot be excused on injuries alone.
More like last 3 years mate, but carry on.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
martial is here to stay. and i think he’s worth investing in. he’ll be able to play well into his forties as he’s not taken anything out of his legs over that last 8 years.

Spark

Is this a serious question? He produced high level skill weekly in his first season, and several times since then.

Just one example: https://youtube.com/shorts/f4LPu-1SbGQ?si=H8L2aaa6suew_PSJ

And then the very next week, if I remember correctly, he picked up the ball from the halfway line away at Brugges and ran through to score.

The man has lost his way since he did his cruciate about 3 years ago. But the re-writing of history I'm seeing is a bit ridiculous. Even just a few days after his infamous debut goal, he went to St.Mary's, sat Van Dijk down on his arse, and scored. If he left here 3 years ago, he'd be undoubtedly our best forward signing since Fergie. Talking of him as our 'worst', which I'm seeing in here, is laughable.
Are you serious? Look up a compilation, and look at what he could do at his best. It's a shame how injuries and his own attitude ruined his talent.
He hit a purple patch in 2019/2020 - e.g. that Watford goal - where he managed 17 league goals. He hasn’t come close since.

Moments of brilliance once in a blue moon (Watford and the Brugge goal are class) aside, my main memory of him throughout his time here has been one of severe frustration. Only during the games behind closed doors during covid, under Ole, did I believe that he might have finally found his feet.

You mention compilations, for an attacking player that is in his 9th year at United it is surprisingly short. Yes he is technically gifted, but he is a total disappointment and I struggle to remember anything decent about him bar the odd silky goal.

Went to Sevilla and was shite. We should have flogged him to Spurs when they were supposedly looking a few years ago.

Big shame.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We keep saying what a shame, he has the talent, etc but its been 7 years now. Felt like its only yesterday he came to replace Falcao.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When is the last time he score a goal for us though? Seems ages.

Son

At his peak in 2019 - 20 he was good, but there wasn't enough of it. At most two acceptable years in 9 years here.

Worst post Fergie striker? Depends on your criteria, he's earned in excess of 100m pounds in wages, plus his fee. Maybe 160m all up? We've not had an remotely acceptable return for the investment.
Totally agree. Despite what some on here claim when he’s fit. He’s just not a good footballer consdiering

Apart from the single season you mentioned he’s made a career of basically his promise as an 18 year old in that breakout year.

He’s a 60k a year player earning 200k+ for basically zero reason but one of the owners likes him apparently.

Not many top coaches in world football rate the guy. Doesn’t even play for his National team yet earns twice what most French first 11 players do I imagine :lol:

edgecutter

The only way this guy is leaving is if his gurney runs downhill away from Carrington.

zaafi

He hit a purple patch in 2019/2020 - e.g. that Watford goal - where he managed 17 league goals. He hasn’t come close since.

Moments of brilliance once in a blue moon (Watford and the Brugge goal are class) aside, my main memory of him throughout his time here has been one of severe frustration. Only during the games behind closed doors during covid, under Ole, did I believe that he might have finally found his feet.

You mention compilations, for an attacking player that is in his 9th year at United it is surprisingly short. Yes he is technically gifted, but he is a total disappointment and I struggle to remember anything decent about him bar the odd silky goal.

Went to Sevilla and was shite. We should have flogged him to Spurs when they were supposedly looking a few years ago.

Big shame.
I'm not talking about goals only. I'm talking about his dribbling ability, how he got out of tight spaces, brilliant link-up and great hold-up play. It was absolutely not a purple patch, and it's quite frankly shocking some people look at him that way. Since you're mentioning his output:

15/16: 11 goals, 4 assists (2632 minutes)
16/17: 4 goals, 5 assists (1554 minutes)
17/18: 9 goals, 5 assists (1582 minutes)
18/19: 10 goals, 2 assists (1621 minutes)
19/20: 17 goals, 6 assists (2624 minutes)

Look at his minutes played those seasons, and you'll see the numbers he put out are actually decent. His problems have always been lack of work rate, injuries, and mentality. Injuries ruined his dribbling ability and pace, so he is not close to the same player as he was, but to call it a purple patch is ridiculous. You simply remember him wrong if you "struggle to remember anything decent about him".

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Big shame.
Well this is obviously a different argument you are now presenting. Nobody will deny that his entire spell here is ultimately a disappointment. A claim that he hasn't shown silk/skill since his debut is just false though. He peaked in 19/20 where he scored 20 goals. That doesn't mean everything he did before that was rubbish. He scored 17 goals in 16/17 for example. He was the shining light in our attack. He scored a big goal away at Wolfsburg in the CL, although we still ultimately went out in that game because we were poor. He tried his best and scored two goals away at West Ham in the final game at Upton Park to try and get us into the CL, but we ultimately lost 3-2 because we were just poor. He scored a big winner in the 90th minute in the FA Cup Semi-Final, which he made himself, picking the ball up just inside their half, carrying it, playing a one-two with Herrera and then finishing beautifully.

After that, there were a number of other good spells. Lukaku was bought and he was benched, but he came off the bench every game to score or make something happen. Some beautiful goals too. Fought his way back into the team. Came on and scored the winner vs Spurs. The following season, it was a running narrative on the caf that 'ironically, Martial and Pogba are the ones keeping Jose in a job'. He had some good form in the early part of the season, winners against Newcastle and Everton. Ole came in and he started well. Great goal against Cardiff in the first game. Took the ball from the halfway line against Fulham and scored after that. He faded towards the end of the season, as did the team, but as we know, the following season, he was our top scorer.

The season after that, he didn't hit the same level, did his cruciate, and has never really looked the same since then. Injuries began to plague him, and even when fit, he couldn't glide as he used to. If his United career ended in 2020 - he'd have been a firm fan favourite. And it would have still been a 4 year career, not a 4 month spell. I'm not saying he has been an overall success by any stretch, but to say he's done nothing since his debut is false, and he was generally one of our bigger threats for a few years. He should have gone a few years back, although that is largely with hindsight. There's a reason why a decision was made to keep him too, and that is because of all the things I had mentioned above that he had showed, while still being only 24 at the time.There was cause for optimism, which has since been revealed as unfounded.

And a 20 goal season isn't a 'purple patch'. It's a great season. Especially when he was a non-penalty taker, although he took and missed one (I remember we had PK troubles first half of the season, with Pogba, Rashford and Martial all missing).

didz

Good suggestion, but does he beat out Moffi for a spot there?
Martial can only compete for a place when fit, so right now there isn't really a striker on the planet who'd worry about losing their spot to him.

While we could technically loan him to Nice no problem, the PL would be extra thorough in their investigation into a Todibo deal if it officially included Martial going the other way.

poleglass red

Sure but Zlatan added more than just goals. Zlatan just 'had it' and made others better too. Pogba was really good when Zlatan was the striker. Zlatan had some very important goals in the Europa League before he picked up that major injury that ended his Manchester United career. Lukaku was more of a 'flat track bully' and scoring his goals against weaker opponents. I dont really remember any defining Manchester United Lukaku moments. I mostly remember his bad first touch. Ronaldo was good in his return season. Won some games by himself (Spurs game for example) but his arrival didnt improve the team while Zlatan his arrival did.
Let's be honest Ibra did that as well, he scored 2 goals in league matches v the following, Southampton, West ham, Swansea and West Brom. He scored another 2 in league cup final v Southampton and he popped up with a hat trick v St Etienne in efl. There's 15 goals alone against "weaker" opposition as you call it. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not make out Ibra was smashing goals in v the top sides. I liked him, but feel in his absence, his legend has grown beyond what it was, somewhat.

Partridge

I don't know what more needs to be said about this guy. I blame the club as much as martial. Sulky french fecker who performs periodically. Total waste of space. he's only worth about £7 now.

Golden Nugget

Let's be honest Ibra did that as well, he scored 2 goals in league matches v the following, Southampton, West ham, Swansea and West Brom. He scored another 2 in league cup final v Southampton and he popped up with a hat trick v St Etienne in efl. There's 15 goals alone against "weaker" opposition as you call it. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not make out Ibra was smashing goals in v the top sides. I liked him, but feel in his absence, his legend has grown beyond what it was, somewhat.
[/QUOTE

From memory, he was an odd one at his time here. In terms of hold up play and his overall game, he’s definitely one of the best since the post Fergie era. He still maintained his class in that regard.

In terms of finishing however, it was inconsistent. I recall him missing quite number of easy chances - but he usually made it up with outrageous finishes.

lex talionis

Surely you're not suggesting that Martial was brilliant for all but the last three years -- only three years, which doesn't make me feel any better even if true -- mate.

GueRed

Imo the most overrated United player the past ten years

He is/was a world class talent but has ZERO fighting spirit on the pitch.

The board should've allowed Mourinho to get rid five years ago but I think populist Woodward feared the social media backlash by selling a fan and Joel Glazer favourite...

Almost certain to leave on a free next summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Surely you're not suggesting that Martial was brilliant for all but the last three years -- only three years, which doesn't make me feel any better even if true -- mate.
There’s no need to infer any suggestion when what I literally said is there. You know exactly what is said, because it’s exactly what I said. And you also know exactly it was in response to, as you know exactly what you said.

Rockets Redglare

He did score against City and the Scousers too, all top strikers get the majority of their goals against the weaker teams.

lex talionis

There’s no need to infer any suggestion when what I literally said is there. You know exactly what is said, because it’s exactly what I said. And you also know exactly it was in response to, as you know exactly what you said.
What I see right in front of me are the following words:

Which clearly conveys the impression that you believe Martial has been crap for only the "last 3 years". It's fine if you believe that Martial wasn't crap for most of the previous 5 years, but by stating as fact that Martial has been crap for only the "last 3 years" it is more than a reasonable inference that you believe the statement that Martial has been crap for most of the previous 5 seasons as well is incorrect.

Of course I could be wrong about that, that Martial was in fact brilliant for most of those previous 5 seasons or at least that was misused or in some way underappreciated as a special talent who only turned to crap over the last 3 years. But to hedge against the correct claim that Martial had one productive season I specifically qualify my claim by saying "most of the previous 5 seasons". Opinions only and reasonable minds may disagree, but it's demonstrably the case that not only has Martial has been crap the last 3 years (it's safe to describe that as fact) but he's actually been crap for most of -- but certainly not all of -- his 8 seasons as a United player. In response to my assertion, your counter was the following -- "Most like last three years mate, but carry on.", from which it is reasonably and I would argue necessarily inferred that you disagree that Martial was crap for most of the previous 5 years, which is ok but it is what it is.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I don't know why people are blaming Martial. We gave him a stupid contract just as we've done with many undeserving players before him.
I hope we are much more ruthless in the new Set-up. We gave Jones a 4 year contract and he played about 3 games during that period.
We've made a lot of dumb decisions over the past decade.

Scholsey2004

He'll end up leaving on a free when his contract expites. Nobody will be buying him at this stage.

Scholsey2004

Imo the most overrated United player the past ten years

He is/was a world class talent but has ZERO fighting spirit on the pitch.

The board should've allowed Mourinho to get rid five years ago but I think populist Woodward feared the social media backlash by selling a fan and Joel Glazer favourite...

Almost certain to leave on a free next summer.
Sadly thats s bold claim given the players whove come and gone in that time, which of itself says a lot about our transfer dealings.

Son

Can you imagine Weghorst doing this?

That was a pre season friendly… Andreas Periera used to look like Zidane July until September too.

Martial is a waste of space at the club and has been for the majority of his career. He’s had two good seasons in a decade and will go down as one of the most overpaid / overhyped players in history.

Gordon S

I just thought the idea of watching giraffe man Weghorst trying the same was a bit funny. They were compared in the post i responded to.
I know very well how disappointing Martial has been, thank you.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That was a pre season friendly… Andreas Periera used to look like Zidane July until September too.

Martial is a waste of space at the club and has been for the majority of his career. He’s had two good seasons in a decade and will go down as one of the most overpaid / overhyped players in history.
More of a Ronaldinho imo