Martial has got to remain at United | No, he hasn't been unfollowing United players on Instagram

Bearded One

There's at least dozen current United players I'd like to see their backs before Martial. Serious question, are bringing in a RW and allowing Martial to stay, mutually exclusive actions? For goodness sake, City have just walked the league and want to add Mahrez to their ranks. Are they stupid? No they aren't. Are we endorsing the idea of letting one of our better players leave? What has come over us?

Yes the argument you'll get is if the guy wants out then rather than loose him on a free, let's get as much money possible for him. Tell you what, nobody would want to stay if it appeared that their manager couldn't give a damn about them. It's not like the attacking formations we've been adopting have been ultra succesful. We can play Sanchez in the middle and give Martial and opportunity on the left but we insist on always playing Sanchez on the left. I feel it not only stifles Martial it hinders Pogba's name too. Give the lad a little light above his head, a little more trust, encouragement, that feeling that you are his manager not his foe.

If we loose Martial, I'd like to see the boy in a pool shirt.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Are the Scholes quotes doing the rounds on social media accurate? Thats the first time I've heard Scholes say something so nice about a young United player since his retirement.

Distracted Steward

Are the Scholes quotes doing the rounds on social media accurate? Thats the first time I've heard Scholes say something so nice about a young United player since his retirement.

Could you imagine Scholes dinging balls into the channel for Martial cutting into the channel in a 4-3-3?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

He said nice words about Martial on BT a week or so ago too.

Thought he was gash...why wouldn't you want him to go to pool if he'd stink the place up?
I'm not one of the many on here who think that. I think that with the right coaching he could flourish.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Could you imagine Scholes dinging balls into the channel for Martial cutting into the channel in a 4-3-3?
Our midfielders inability to release our forwards into space has been a big issue when Carrick doesn't play so yeah that would be delicious attacking wise. Scholes' ability to ping passes made Nani look unbeatable at times and Martial is a bit of a similar player.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Thought he was gash...why wouldn't you want him to go to pool if he'd stink the place up?
Martial is hardly gash, as you put it, the last thing we want is for a player of his talents to arrive on Merseyside and tear the place up.

Moot point either way, there hasn't been a direct transfer between United and Liverpool in over half a century. That statistic is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Bearded One

He said nice words about Martial on BT a week or so ago too.

I'm not one of the many on here who think that. I think that with the right coaching he could flourish.
Well said mate. People do complain about his work ethic but he does a fair bit and though may not be a Willian-type player, has his key strenghts. Afterall Hazard has been criticised in some quarters for not showing enough graft. Not every player is like that. Martial is a rough diamond that we cannot afford to allow to leave just like that. You'd be hard pressed to find a young exciting talent that doesn't frustrate the hell out of you atimes, Dembele and Sane inclusive.

Janson

Don't say that. Otherwise some geniuses will label you as Martial FC.

This is nonsense. It is a valid argument for some players like Valencia, Smalling, Lingard etc. but definitely not for Martial. If anything he is one of the rare intelligent players we've got along with Mata, Sanchez etc.
You can't be serious. If Martial was even close in that department to someone like Mata, he'd be twice the player. He lacks both intelligence and creativity. In modern football, you need this things in those positions.

Hawks2008

Tbf he's had feck all minutes or any run of games since Sanchez joined. How can we expect him to perform or drag us back into a final vs Chelsea's bus with basically no opportunity to gain match sharpness or form? Sad that it was probably the last time we'll see him in our shirt.

Neilwij

Id be so gutted if we let him go. One of those few players that we have that can actually beat a man and make a difference. Sanchez has scored 3 goals for us and not even a handful of good performances in that time yet we still play him when he should be dropped. Martial had scored 11 goals by january including a number of appearences from the bench. Jose dropped him and played his new shiny toy whos pretty much done feck all for us. So frustrating.

Judas

Open to offers
Bit odd to see Martial described as intelligent, his lack of a brain is one of his major downfalls. Good finisher, quick and can take on a man, but the rest of his game really needs work, his decision making is very frustrating.

Still I’ll be sad to see him go, think he’ll do well under a different manager, but we’ll survive.

Tony247

It is clear jose wants a proper no. 9 and other forward line to work with him. Rashford and Martial going to struggle if they do not adapt. They are not wingers. They need to learn to link up with lukaku. Otherwise how Rashford will perform in WC with Kane in center?

Unfortunately at utd there is room for only one. So it is either Martial has to go or rashford. Either way it is a bitter pill to swallow. Unless utd decides this is jose's last season. In that case hold on to Martial. May be loan him out for a year. Let him stay away for a while.

And jose needs to show more love and support to his players. That last chelsea experience has left him a bitter man.

rotherham_red

It is clear jose wants a proper no. 9 and other forward line to work with him. Rashford and Martial going to struggle if they do not adapt. They are not wingers. They need to learn to link up with lukaku. Otherwise how Rashford will perform in WC with Kane in center?

Unfortunately at utd there is room for only one. So it is either Martial has to go or rashford. Either way it is a bitter pill to swallow. Unless utd decides this is jose's last season. In that case hold on to Martial. May be loan him out for a year. Let him stay away for a while.

And jose needs to show more love and support to his players. That last chelsea experience has left him a bitter man.
Except Martial did show promising signs of linking up with Lukaku almost straight away in pre-season. The fact it hasn't progressed further is simply because of Jose being the petulant stubborn pillock of a man that he is.

MUFC OK

Apparently he did the same a year or two ago? Might just be annoyed about WC omission, don't think it 'confirms' anything.

BlueHaze

Such a shame, he is very likely to leave this summer, we will regret this one...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'd prefer to have players who want to play for the club than players that don't. I really like Martial as a player and I think he'll be one of the best in Europe for the duration of his career. However, I've seen bigger and better players leave United. I didn't cry over selling Stam, Beckham, Keane, Van Nistlerooy and Ronaldo. Why am I going to have a meltdown over a player who hasn't achieved half as much at Old Trafford as them?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Rashford leaving wouldn't bother me at all.

I would wish him well (as I did/do with Welbeck), but I don't think his ability is comparable with Martial.

And I don't think he's good enough to be a main option for an Elite team.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm sorry but if he's gone to unfollow players the it goes to show where his attitude is.
Has Mourinho mis-managed him? Possibly. I wouldn't put all the blame on Mourinho though. Martial has reacted like a child and clearly he doesn't have the mindset for it.

He can go and frankly I don't care anymore.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
I'm sorry but if he's gone to unfollow players the it goes to show where his attitude is.
Has Mourinho mis-managed him? Possibly. I wouldn't put all the blame on Mourinho though. Martial has reacted like a child and clearly he doesn't have the mindset for it.

He can go and frankly I don't care anymore.
Consecutively scoring goals, only to be dropped short after, will make on react like a 'child'.

acnumber9

He did the same this time last year (lol). Now he's unfollowed all the United players (but still the United account).
What a twat he is. Good player he may be but this childish nonsense is not what United need right now.

Smores

Consecutively scoring goals, only to be dropped short after, will make on react like a 'child'.
Really defending childish behaviour?

Not that i think he has stropped but if you do and would defend it on that basis thats hillarious

acnumber9

He started three of our four league games after this famous run before he was dropped. Then he was conveniently injured for a couple of games around the time rumours started that he rejected a contract. Huffing because he wasn’t playing exactly where he wanted to is going to get him nowhere and it’s an attitude United don’t need right now.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I was convinced Martial was the real deal after that debut season. If someone told me that 2 years later we would be questioning whether he should remain at the club, I would have laughed it off.

Member 85611

He started three of our four league games after this famous run before he was dropped. Then he was conveniently injured for a couple of games around the time rumours started that he rejected a contract. Huffing because he wasn’t playing exactly where he wanted to is going to get him nowhere and it’s an attitude United don’t need right now.
Started as RW, yes. A position every dog and their nan know, he is not suited to.
He lost his place effectively with Sanchez' arrival.

flappyjay

Started as RW, yes. A position every dog and their nan know, he is not suited to.
He lost his place effectively with Sanchez' arrival.
Sanchez who also happened to score only 3 goals since January. It must be disheartening

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I disagree. He's 22/23. If he can't respond to being dropped for bad performances by making an impact from the bench and not sulk then he doesn't have the mentality for it.

He's more talented than Depay so I understand the leeway to giving him the benefit of the doubt - but he's being more of a douche than Memphis so he can go. He's a player of Manchester United, I don't want any chancer who goes in a hissy fit and unfollows fellow players to try and make a statement.

Damien

Staff
So you're saying he faked the injury? What a load of nonsense. Him being out of the Palace and Pool games was an entire month before RMC said he rejected the contract and was before contract talks even resumed.

Timeline
23rd Feb: RMC says contract talks halted around December with the club not sending an offer for renewal. Arrival of Alexis Sanchez appeared to block talks and Martial interrupted purchase of house he found in Manchester due to uncertain future.
25th Feb: Started v Chelsea in the league, got an assist.
5th March: Left out of Crystal Palace with thigh injury.
7th March: Contract talks to resume.
10th March: Left out of Liverpool with thigh injury.
13th March: Gets 13 minutes off the bench v Sevilla when we're losing.
31st March: Unused substitute v Swansea.
7th April: Unused substitute v City.
10th April: RMC says Martial rejects new contract.

Maybe he was actually injured?

LazyRed-Ninja

Really defending childish behaviour?

Not that i think he has stropped but if you do and would defend it on that basis thats hillarious
Im actually not defending this. Im am merely saying that Martial did all he had to do as a player to start. Sanchez started on the left and as a consequence Martial was moved to the right. Even with his (Martial)
playing time being dropped, he still has the one of the best if not 'best minutes-per-goal ratio'. One can understand that Martial's motivation dropped significantly due to him doing all that he should do on the left only to be dropped by a player who didnt really hit the ground running to say the least.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I was convinced Martial was the real deal after that debut season. If someone told me that 2 years later we would be questioning whether he should remain at the club, I would have laughed it off.
Bizarre isn't it. He was the brighest star of 15/16.

LazyRed-Ninja

I disagree. He's 22/23. If he can't respond to being dropped for bad performances by making an impact from the bench and not sulk then he doesn't have the mentality for it.

He's more talented than Depay so I understand the leeway to giving him the benefit of the doubt - but he's being more of a douche than Memphis so he can go. He's a player of Manchester United, I don't want any chancer who goes in a hissy fit and unfollows fellow players to try and make a statement.
I think many people fail to understand that Martial was moved to the right when Sanchez came. How exactly is that being dropped for bad performances if Martial was in a good spell? Just imagine if it were you. Wouldnt your motivation drop if you did all you had to do as a left winger only to be moved to the right and eventually be dropped in favor of a player who in all fairness hasnt hit the ground running to say the least.

Damien

Staff

He hasn't unfollowed anyone. Look at this archive from January. He still followed the same 6 people then. Him unfollowing people is 'fake news'. All he's done is delete all his posts - same thing he did last summer and last summer he made it clear he wasn't leaving the club on several occasions. It is just a 'tradition' he does.