Martial / joined Sevilla on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshaw

Think he'll do well if handed the responsibility as the main striker or left sided attacker.

I hope United don't end up paying part of his wages in a loan move. The team taking him are getting a top player for a short time and should pay his alleged 200k if they want him. Yes it's quite a lot but not high enough that clubs can't do it as a one off or short term. I think many clubs would take the chance if United hold strong.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I had such high hopes after his debut, he had one outstanding season and a couple of decent ones. It’s all gone to pot the last year or so. Looks devoid of any confidence

crossy1686

career ending
This guy’s development has been destroyed by the chopping and changing and lack of proper training at Man Utd. Sure he’ll score for fun elsewhere in a system that suits him, while still blowing a bit hot and cold in all-around play. Replace Vlahovic or Martinez in Italy?
How does that stack when most have improved?

Oldyella

Have most improved? Aside from youngsters like Elanga who will obviously improve with experience who can you look at hand on heart and say they have improved

Noir

The injuries have taken their toll on his body too. The last few times he came on he looked stiff and as if he lost most of his agility. Plus he did have off field dramas in his early years and his attitude isn’t Manchester United quality
That's not stiff, that's lazy. At the club of this size, on that kind of money he should look like fireworks in Sidney on new years eve whenever he enters the pitch.

The guys gets into an argument with his GF and he ends up sulking, on the pitch. We thought he looks cool as ice, seems like he's just uniterested.

Just get rid of him already.

AndySmith1990

We'll end up having to pay half his wage to get rid of him, as once again we've massively overpaid a mediocre player.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
So underwhelming when he comes on or starts now, if he was half interested in performng you would see an increased work rate from him, it just all too slow and languid. Hopefully get a decent return on a player for a change and invest it in the squad.

dinostar77

I think the only realistic option is some sort of loan deal unless he's willing to take a part cut - which he will have to if we want to sell.

Just serves to highlight some of the contract mismanagement of the past few years. Ridiculous when you think about it. We really have been so quick to "retain value" :houllier:
Is there any clubs out there that genuinely want him? He cant play as a no9 up front as he hasnt a clue how to play that position, as has been highlighted numerous times on MOTD and MOTD2 by the pundits.

Mr.Plow

Been dreadful for two years and has no desire to prove himself under a new manager. Good riddance.

OL29

:lol: Who’s improved? Rashford’s been regressing for the last couple of years, Lingard’s regressed, Bruno, Pogba, etc
I've said it before but you’re blinded by hatred when it comes to Martial and it’s very weird to me. He’s not good enough but the amount of lies you tell about him is bordering on deranged. I think you even said Bellion and Obertan were better ffs, you may think he’s been overrated but there’s no need to be so dishonest.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We'll really miss his 0 goals and assists if you buy him Newcastle, please don't steal our jewel.
:p

Jacob

He shouldn't play a minute until the summer and miss out on the WC. Then again, that might've been his motive to move on (WC).

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
He shouldn't play a minute until the summer and miss out on the WC. Then again, that might've been his motive to move on (WC).
World cup is in the December so a move in the summer would work for him.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’s correct, it is the right time for a change. He’d be expected to put effort into training now and give a toss about football. It’s just not the Martial way. Unfortunately for him Ole didn’t get another job.

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: Who’s improved? Rashford’s been regressing for the last couple of years, Lingard’s regressed, Bruno, Pogba, etc
I've said it before but you’re blinded by hatred when it comes to Martial and it’s very weird to me. He’s not good enough but the amount of lies you tell about him is bordering on deranged. I think you even said Bellion and Obertan were better ffs, you may think he’s been overrated but there’s no need to be so dishonest.
I don’t hate anyone, I think he’s simply not good enough to be anything more than a bit part player at United or any big team. My posts are a response to those saying he’s potentially world class, or he’s not been managed right, or he’s had too much competition, or whatever other lame excuses people are making for him that no other player seems to get.

Other players have “regressed” - Martial: hasn’t been managed correctly, the double standards are wild around here.

dave1956

Appears that when asked about him, the manager indicated that there had been no interest from any club.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t hate anyone, I think he’s simply not good enough to be anything more than a bit part player at United or any big team. My posts are a response to those saying he’s potentially world class, or he’s not been managed right, or he’s had too much competition, or whatever other lame excuses people are making for him that no other player seems to get.

Other players have “regressed” - Martial: hasn’t been managed correctly, the double standards are wild around here.
Are you new to the site? Every player in this whole United team if you look around the performance thread have people making the same or very similar comments. Mostly because there is a grain of truth in them. Take martial and Rashford for example. Anyone that says they don’t have the raw talent and ability to be proper world class players is kidding themselves. For whatever reason be it attitude, injuries or most likely coaching as of right now neither have lived up to the obvious potential both have that we’ve seen in glimpses. We have many other players like this.

So no there is t a double standard. Just a case of people seeing or believing what they want to.

As for Martial if he wants to go then he can go. Always hoped he’d come good and will always remember his debut but it’s just not happening here so yeah it’s the right time to move on especially since he’s probably around 4th/5th choice right now.

Like Pogba if he leaves I expect both to do well elsewhere.

crossy1686

career ending
Are you new to the site? Every player in this whole United team if you look around the performance thread have people making the same or very similar comments. Mostly because there is a grain of truth in them. Take martial and Rashford for example. Anyone that says they don’t have the raw talent and ability to be proper world class players is kidding themselves. For whatever reason be it attitude, injuries or most likely coaching as of right now neither have lived up to the obvious potential both have that we’ve seen in glimpses. We have many other players like this.

So no there is t a double standard. Just a case of people seeing or believing what they want to.

As for Martial if he wants to go then he can go. Always hoped he’d come good and will always remember his debut but it’s just not happening here so yeah it’s the right time to move on especially since he’s probably around 4th/5th choice right now.

Like Pogba if he leaves I expect both to do well elsewhere.
I try not to spend time in the player performance threads unless there’s a potential transfer on the cards. They tend to be a circle jerk of “world class” or “not good enough for the PL”. I appreciate that my posts probably fit that extreme when it comes to Martial but I would of thought with the world class forwards we’ve had over the years we’d all be on the same page when it comes to knowing a good striker when we see one.

There’s no doubt Martial has ability, he wouldn’t be at United if he didn’t. He just doesn’t possess anywhere near the right mental attributes to make it at an elite level. Same applies to Jesse, their ceiling is top 6.

OL29

So you react to those double standards with more hyperbole? Like I say, some may overrate him but you’re at the other end of the scale, finding any little reason to criticise and discredit him over, which to me is much worse, at least the others are supporting our players. You say it’s not hatred but it’s bordering on obsession.

Statue of Limitations

I have a feeling his career will reignite in a different environment similar to Depay.
I really wish it would have worked out, his potential is phenomenal, hope he does well wherever he ends up.

That debut goal v Pool :drool:

crossy1686

career ending
So you react to those double standards with more hyperbole? Like I say, some may overrate him but you’re at the other end of the scale, finding any little reason to criticise and discredit him over, which to me is much worse, at least the others are supporting our players. You say it’s not hatred but it’s bordering on obsession.
I haven’t though, you won’t find me in here when he’s played bad, or good for that matter. This is a martial transfer thread.

I don’t have to discredit marital, he’s done it to himself with his performances, or lack thereof, and now lack of interest despite making it well known he wants out.

We’re at a point again where we’ve got players that are on big contracts that aren’t pulling their weight, it’s impossible to run a team that way. We need a clear out, and Martial isn’t the only one.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
All the best for the festive season, mate.

I personally think he will likely give his best if doesn't get a move this January. My reasoning he'll want to showcase his ability for any possible future employees.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sorry he wants to leave but best for both parties in that case. Loved him in his first season, then felt he was badly mismanaged by Jose. A definite confidence player with world class ability. It’s crazy how quick football changes. Two seasons ago was our top scorer and player of the year. The last 18 months he’s fell off a cliff in terms of performance and injuries.

I’d hoped we’d build a fluid front three around Greenwood, Rashford, Martial that post Covid period was some of the best football we’d seen for years with Bruno behind them.

captaincantona

For me it’s all about expectations...Martial has not lived up to expectations but similarly, expectations have never been high ie. we have never really relied on him to play a leading role in the team...and his lack of consistency or application has never had a huge detrimental effect on the team. When he has been bad, he has been benched for the most part.

In that regard, no big loss and excited to see who we get in. I think that’s what RR was on about in the presser. Martial has to understand what’s good for the team. If Cavani is also going, we are short on strikers and he has to stay till we get someone. Not sure Elanga is ready but would still like to see more of him.

crossy1686

career ending
You have to wonder who advised him to change his game from a pacy inside forward to a back to goal centre forward?

Maybe it’s something he wanted to transition to, like all great CF’s end up there at a certain age but his movement and hold up play are so poor it doesn’t make any sense to do that after having a really good few months playing a totally different role. It’s not like we’re the kind of club where we can afford a £50m CF to casually learn his trade again either. Such a weird decision from him to bulk up and lose all of his edge.

MattofManchester

You have to wonder who advised him to change his game from a pacy inside forward to a back to goal centre forward?
It doesn't seem like he's at all worked on his fitness after injuries this season or last. He looks too bulky and slow compared to previously.
Like he's not in control of his own body. Very awkward when he plays.

Frankly I'm of the opinion he can't be bothered.

Utd Clem

All I keep hearing on this is that it is agreed aside from salary. But again a wantaway player wants to go but won’t budge on his own salary requirements. Sounds exactly like me martial, was never one to move much

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Maybe it’s something he wanted to transition to, like all great CF’s end up there at a certain age but his movement and hold up play are so poor it doesn’t make any sense to do that after having a really good few months playing a totally different role. It’s not like we’re the kind of club where we can afford a £50m CF to casually learn his trade again either. Such a weird decision from him to bulk up and lose all of his edge.
His hold up play (like the rest of his game really) is quite inconsistent, but when he's playing well it's actually quite good. Easily better than anyone else in our squad. It's all about that consistency though which is obviously where he struggles. He'll have one match like against Chelsea last season where I swear a 6 year old could easily take the ball off him, then he'll turn around and have a match like against City where he bullies their defenders and they just bounce off him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm surprised that he has given up so easily . He isn't even giving himself a shot under Ralf. Best thing he could have done is wait until Summer and take it from there.

Well not surprised though. That's Martial in a nutshell. Bags of talent but just don't have the motivation.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He should be embarrassed really, been here 7 years and he still finds himself behind a 36 year old Ronaldo, a 34 year old Cavani, a Rashford bang out of form, a Sancho still yet to find any form, a youth prospect who’s had Covid and has played less than two seasons at top flight and now a kid who’s just turned 19 and barely played any first team football.

On top of all that United are STILL in the market for another forward, which shows you exactly what the club think of him.
Funny thing though, I considered him the potentially best offensive weapon United have had in the last 6 years.
But, he never, never put in the effort to get there. He must have the worst work ethic in your entire team.

crossy1686

career ending
Funny thing though, I considered him the potentially best offensive weapon United have had in the last 6 years.
But, he never, never put in the effort to get there. He must have the worst work ethic in your entire team.
I think we were all under the impression that he had the potential to be great, he’s shown flashes of it anyway, but the total lack of consistency and mollycoddling he seems to need is makes him unpickable. Even the best strikers in the world are willing to track back and put a shift in.

AndySmith1990

On a scale of work ethic you'd have Ronaldo as a 10 then Martial as a 1. He's a lazy sulking waste of space. Too often our fans have made excuses for him and I don't know why. Our greatest successes have come from building teams of highly motivated, hard working and dedicated professionals. Martial is everything we should be trying to avoid in a player.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I think we were all under the impression that he had the potential to be great, he’s shown flashes of it anyway, but the total lack of consistency and mollycoddling he seems to need is makes him unpickable. Even the best strikers in the world are willing to track back and put a shift in.
Absolutely. At some point you need to show you want to get there. You have given him enough time and thus opportunities.
On a scale of work ethic you'd have Ronaldo as a 10 then Martial as a 1. He's a lazy sulking waste of space. Too often our fans have made excuses for him and I don't know why. Our greatest successes have come from building teams of highly motivated, hard working and dedicated professionals. Martial is everything we should be trying to avoid in a player.
He could probably thrive for a Dortmund or Leverkusen type of team - teams who play attractive offensive football, but ultimately there are no expectations. Trouble is that there is no such team in the PL. And there are fewer and fewer teams around Europe where he could fit. Sevilla would be probably a good fit as well.

Tarrou

Interesting how people here forget Martial has basically been fighting for that no.9 spot for the past 5 years against some of the best strikers on the planet in Ibra, Lukaku, Cavani and Ronaldo. Once he had clear reign of that position, he was our best forward who worked well with Bruno, Rash and Greenwood. I’d be looking to leave as well. The strange injuries have done him no favors; I remember time and time again the Caf wanting him to replace Rashford down the left but Ole wouldn’t bench his golden child. He would probably work wonders with a strike partner in Ralfs system (like he did with Rashford) but a lot of posters here seem to think it’s actually been 50 million down the drain. Outrageous.
did you forget the entire season after that when he turned to absolute shite?

Status
Not open for further replies.