Martial Number Change Fallout

OldTrevil

He got a shirt upgrade.

There is no evidence he wasn't informed prior.

If I arrived at work and found that my workplace had been taken over by someone & I'd been given an upgrade, I honestly wouldn't give a care. But these players are not office workers & have short careers where they move around a fair bit, so why would anyone get precious over a number on the back of a shirt?

Seems a lot of people are assuming he is upset with very little evidence, if it were Fellaini or Rojo, I'm certain fans would be less understanding.

He plays 11 for France without any issue, now we've matched him up. Lad should be well pleased. Had he not got a shirt number and been told he was training with the kids, then yes I'd have some sympathy.
The thing is 11 may not be an upgrade, maybe he is actually looking to change to 9 for France after he eastblishes himself in the team. People are going by his social media branding as proof of his preference for 9. Let's just hope he comes back in form so we can enjoy his performances instead.

InfiniteBoredom

If I'm being perfectly cynical, this could be a contract negotiation ploy. After the season he's just had, a bump is definitely being discussed and it doesn't hurt him to play the 'not being appreciated' card in those negotiations.

LLMU

The next fallout will be Januzaj cos his number is taken away too. Typical no story but being cooked up by the media

Steven7290

Well that put an end to it conveniently. A rumour started by someone that no one is even sure who he is then proved wrong by some other random guy with a photo of Martial on Twitter :wenger:

This is why teams should play all year round so we can have other important things to talk about rather than made up stories to sell newspaper.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Well that put an end to it conveniently. A rumour started by someone that no one is even sure who he is then proved wrong by some other random guy with a photo of Martial on Twitter :wenger:

This is why teams should play all year round so we can have other important things to talk about rather than made up stories to sell newspaper.
Well some supporter was bound to ask him

prath92

Next rashford will get pissed that we took his number and gave him welbecks number.

jojose

If I'm being perfectly cynical, this could be a contract negotiation ploy. After the season he's just had, a bump is definitely being discussed and it doesn't hurt him to play the 'not being appreciated' card in those negotiations.
That's what thought

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Im hoping this is some random joke ive missed
No! It's a new agenda I have.

I've noticed more nutters on the Caf lately - people who are paranoid about the freemasons and so forth. And, well, I thought it'd be a nice change of pace to join these people. Embrace the weirdness, in a manner of speaking.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
White text is lame. The real jokers take all the flak that comes with people not understanding your irony. That's the funniest part.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Do you know if the guy is legit previously though?
He could have of just grabbed a random 'fan meet' photo off of Google and made up whatever the feck he wants claiming the fan is him, as @Steven7290 alludes to.
Could be but same swimming trunks as in the boat picture. So it absolutely must be a legit posting or at least legit as all the media stories saying he is upset when they obviously have not spoken to him or his people.

RedCurry

As the poster above said, even if it's not a big deal it is simple courtesy which should be expected everywhere. It breaks down some trust to not be told of something like that.

The analogy of arriving at work one day and your office being moved because a new director wanted it, is quite accurate I think. Even if the new office is just as good, everyone would be at least slightly pissed off at that. It's worrying how many people in this thread don't seem to be aware of such common courtesy.

Regardless, hopefully it is not true that no one told him.
Arriving at work analogy is quite apt. I am sure Martial would be a little annoyed. But it's a situation that is easily fixable. Using the same analogy, if after losing your office to the big director, if your CEO comes to your office to welcome you with a bag of goodies and invites you on a fancy lunch with him where he tells you that they see you as the man to one day carry one of the biggest firms in the world but the firm really needed the said director for short term success, I am sure any rational person gets it.

It'll also help if all the supporters from Caf went on his social media accounts and showed how proud we are to have a worthy #11. That should also take care of the apparent marketing team that people here are so worried about. They should know that Martial could be wearing #79 and we'd still be obsessed with him.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
People are overdoing the importance of #11 at United. It's all about #7.

Not many think about #11 when they think about United, in all honesty.
Not any more than they do #9 or 10 (and arguably 16, 18 and 2)

XdanielredX

Lol cause Martial is going to spill all the beans and tell his complete inner feelings and truth to some random he met in another country.

Eitherway, I hope it's true and he doesn't care... cause really it's not a mssive deal, or shouldn't be..

iKnowNothing

Wonder why it is so hard to grasp the concept of a "brand name"? If AM9 was trademarked then that means that a sports firm (or whatever that is called) representing him is trying to set up AM9 as a brand similar to CR7.

What is a number change to most of us mortals is an unnecessary headache/additional work for his management firm and they're the ones who are trying to create a fuss.

And for those saying "Martial who?", well he was our best outfield player last year, that's who.