Martial Number Change Fallout

Steven7290

Wonder why it is so hard to grasp the concept of a "brand name"? If AM9 was trademarked then that means that a sports firm (or whatever that is called) representing him is trying to set up AM9 as a brand similar to CR7.

What is a number change to most of us mortals is an unnecessary headache/additional work for his management firm and they're the ones who are trying to create a fuss.

And for those saying "Martial who?", well he was our best outfield player last year, that's who.
Even Ronaldo, an ego maniac had to accept number 9 for a season or two before he was returned his CR7. Not a big deal whatsoever if he is to get the #9 again in the future.

Jaxdan

Be loyal and proud of the badge on the front, not the number on the back. So he recently trademarked his number without anything in writing from the club? Maybe he should have thought it through and made sure of it first.

Scholsey2004

He might feel a bit awkward for Januzaj who he's mates with and might have wanted to let him know it wasnt something he asked for. storm in a teacup though surely.

Someone

Something
Could you imagine fergie giving a player a bollocking for unfollowing the club on twitter?

"You follow the club right now our you're fecking out of here!"

He retired at the right time.

Zen

#GetOverIt

Hey look that's 9 letters. Coincidence?

iKnowNothing

Even Ronaldo, an ego maniac had to accept number 9 for a season or two before he was returned his CR7. Not a big deal whatsoever if he is to get the #9 again in the future.
True. However in that case, Ronaldo was moving clubs for a record high fee and makes it just that much easier for his marketing team.

Martial on the other hand has his number taken away after a great performance in his debut year. So it's slightly different from Ronaldo's scenario.

(I'm just pointing it out. Doesn't mean it makes a difference to me what number he wears)

Jaxdan

But Ronaldo is Ronaldo. Martial is a 20 year old who has turned in one very solid season. But no, I don't give a crap about his #. I care more about the Badge.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I like to wear number 15. If i walk in to the changing room and somebody is wearing ny number i usually punch them in the throat and shit in their mouth. I don't usually unfollow them on twitter though, that is bang out of order.
When MUTV flashed up the squad numbers ahead of the Dortmund friendly, the commentator was making a point of saying that the list hasn't been finalised and can change.

Also i feel there is a lot of over reacting to this nonsense in this thread, why is it even news? Has Martial even said anything? Has the club? The manager? Does Martial even run his own twitter account?

Why am i even in here? Nonsense thread on a nonsense subject.

Last edited:

RedCurry

I'll just put it out there since I didn't see anyone mentioning it.

Martial idolizes Brazilian Ronaldo. I can see why he might be obsessed with the number.

Percy17

Oh come on, his missus left him because he's been tupping a reality TV "star". They're even putting their holiday photies about on social media now. You can't claim to be pissed off about something like that when you caused the problem anyway. I really don't care about his shirt number myself, I do care about Zlatan imposing his whims and caprices regardless on the club as he has a previous record of doing.
I don't think he is 'pissed off' as you say. However being happy in Manchester is debatable. It was always kinda weird to me how he was married at 19 with a kid already

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I can't believe some people are advocating selling him because he might not have wanted to change his shirt number. Madness.
I hope he does leave and becomes the next world superstar within a year. Let's see them crowing about what a bad move this all was by United.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'll just put it out there since I didn't see anyone mentioning it.

Martial idolizes Brazilian Ronaldo. I can see why he might be obsessed with the number.
Brazillian R9 wore 11 at Madrid. Also why can't he do a Zamarano.. 1+8

parisite

Well according to L'Equipe this morning Martial shirts were the third best seller of all last season, only Messi and Ronaldo sold more. Utd were of course the best shirt sellers of all with just under 3 million shirts sold in total. If you want to see the figures for yourselves you can find them on Totalsportek.

MD7

Well according to L'Equipe this morning Martial shirts were the third best seller of all last season, only Messi and Ronaldo sold more. Utd were of course the best shirt sellers of all with just under 3 million shirts sold in total. If you want to see the figures for yourselves you can find them on Totalsportek.
I thought that was Memphis, or did that all changed halfway season? Which would be weird, because most shirts are sold at the beginning of the season.

parisite

I thought that was Memphis, or did that all changed halfway season? Which would be weird, because most shirts are sold at the beginning of the season.
First Martial and then Schweinsteiger followed by Rooney. Your beloved Memphis is, as is usual, nowhere to be seen. Just give it up, he's a bust on every level. The Daily Mail just got it all wrong as is their habit.

MD7

First Martial and then Schweinsteiger followed by Rooney. Your beloved Memphis is, as is usual, nowhere to be seen. Just give it up, he's a bust on every level. The Daily Mail just got it all wrong as is their habit.
They aren't wrong, check the sources, both Daily Mail & Totalsportrek are quoting Kitbag. Yours is more recent, and thus the correct one, but no reason to be ignorant.

ReDDHDevilS

If and thats a massive IF he leaves where will he go? Madrid? Take the no.9 off benzema? Barca? Take it off Saurez? PSG?.....dunno who their no.9 is. If he seriously hands in a transfer request then I have to question his mentality and his commitment to the club. This is a guy who said "its his dream to come to manchester united" he maid claim to it being the pinnacle of where he wanted to be as if he is a fan.

If he asks to leave then so be it. Cya later mate. He is a huge huge talent and the no.11 is a much much more coveted shirt than the no.9. Were clearly going places and have an insane squad and seem to have morale at an all time high. If he wants to piss on those cornflakes bacause of commercial reasons then feck off to Madrid. Were probably paying him more than they would and the fee woulf have to break the world record considering he cost us 80m+.
Absolute non sense.
We live in times where players have a stupid amount of power over clubs. Usually we accept that an established players (although i hate to use the term for players of the age) of 23 are considered superstars and above any kind of repremand and discipline. This is why the english game has gone to the shitter.

I am probably one of the most realistic and up front football fans you will talk to and this utter mon sense about Martial leaving or being "upset" about a squad number change us utterly and embarassingly cringe worthy and if he even doesmt like it he should be shipped out.

I know I sound crazy but I can not accept a 20 year old throwing his toys out of the pram being in such a privledged position. Its lunacy. He must be an utter fecking baby. (If true)
After reading the comments I'm not sure if you're describing yourself or Martial in the second one! You talk about Martial throwing toys out of the pram while in the comment below you yourself throw the biggest one out!

Nah man love Martial. Favourite player at the moment. But this has to be rubbish its beyond stupid otherwise. If it is true he needs to go. Hell be replaced.
Martial needs to go for what?

He'll be replaced by whom? Oh yeah, I forgot we've a lot of WC talents in Valencia, Young who easily can replace Martial and if they can't, we can still get the likes of Neymar, Bale etc. after all they're all tripping over their feet to join us!

Caf at its absolute best!

MartialsBeard

After reading the comments I'm not sure if you're describing yourself or Martial in the second one! You talk about Martial throwing toys out of the pram while in the comment below you yourself throw the biggest one out!

Martial needs to go for what?

He'll be replaced by whom? Oh yeah, I forgot we've a lot of WC talents in Valencia, Young who easily can replace Martial and if they can't, we can still get the likes of Neymar, Bale etc. after all they're all tripping over their feet to join us!

Caf at its absolute best!
Id like to point ou I was completely and utterly battered whilst I wrote those Id even forgotten I had went off on one.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Pogba, Martial and Bailly... just the thought of how cool these bastards are, could there be any more swag in one football team.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He looks absolutely fuming. Gritted teeth. Eyes closed, envisaging how he's going to put Zlatan in a world of pain. Both hands are out of shot, but he's obviously holding a transfer request with one of them. PSG bound.