g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Martial Number Change Fallout

ChrisG11

The fact of the matter is he's not even a striker yet. He's been given a much more iconic number from the club which relates to the position he's going to play. Yeh, might be a bit inconvenient due to his "brand" but would he even have one without United? I'm pretty sure it's all been blown out of proportion as it usually is.

parisite

Unless of course it's a punishment for letting the new shirt be partially seen on FIFA 17 before it's official launch last week.
Then again that would be really petty wouldn't it.

Ferguson

The media create a frenzy for no reason, so we'll all get excited to hear them report that Martial was told about it after all

They sell papers whether the story is real or not

gaucho_10

Martial is your biggest asset and my favorite EPL player. Perez should make you guys pay for what you did there!

Jaybomb

Heh. Good joke, pal.
Sorry, wheres the joke? Zlatan is easily top 5 in the world. 50 goals last season, arguably the best or second best striker in the world next to Suarez and one of the biggest players going today. But you're an Arsenal fan, so I guess all that brilliance went out the window when he joined United, right?

We could sign Messi and rival fans would say "Oh he couldn't even win an International tournament, he'll flop in the Premier League"

Jealousy is a horrible thing.

we really need to get over this "can you imagine Keane or Scholes or Giggs" approach to things, football and times have changed a lot, romanticising how things used to be does nothing to address the reality of "now". Giggs shirt being iconic may not mean as much to Martial as it does to you. "We have lost better and survived" is also another terrible approach, the kid is arguably our best player with potential to get even better, and considering recent years, the club is not really in a position to lose this type of talent all because we have lost better and survived before. United's recent reality is 7th, 4th, 5th. Many shrugged at Pogba leaving and here we find ourselves about to break a few transfer records to bring him back in hopes it will propel us to past heights, and when he left he wasn't as good as martial is now.

Fact of the matter is clubs make money of players' images and the players, rightly so, exploit their branding to make money themselves. Football career is a short one and can end at any moment with a bad tackle, I certainly don't begrudge players trying to get the most out of their brand, and that's without mentioning that no one likes having something that's theirs taken and given to the new shiny toy, especially without being alerted of such thing happening. If true, it's bad form from the club.

This whole ordeal is highly speculative anyway. I don't think anything major will come out of this.
You're right. We should bend over backwards for a 20 year old who isn't honoured to wear arguably our biggest legend's shirt number after all these years. Who needs Zlatan and all these big signings when we have the great Martial. He's 100% guaranteed to win the Ballon d'Or over Neymar, Pogba, Hazard, Bale, etc. I mean, Monaco put it in his contract, right?

:rolleyes:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The media create a frenzy for no reason, so we'll all get excited to hear them report that Martial was told about it after all

They sell papers whether the story is real or not
There's hardly a storm. Only a tweet from a French journalist.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Sure, it matters to some small extent, but the Ronaldo and Beckham examples show how trivial it is in the grand scheme of things. At that time they were the world's most marketable player and they changed number - reluctantly or otherwise. People might kick up a fuss about it but it's an incredibly minor thing. In Martial's case, he doesn't even have a "brand" yet so if he's anything more than a little disgruntled then to call the reaction childish would be a huge understatement. I suspect it's just media bluster. Easy to make up a story about it.
It's problematic because players are particularly precious nowadays

This is the era of players being 'angry and confused' over some minute point a new manager made in passing , 'sad and not know why ' or get angry over not getting a cake.

And I really doubt this story is made up. The journalist involved is fairly reliable and Martial has responded in kind with AM9 material. He could have easily denied it otherwise. We also did the same thing for our other golden oldie Bastian taking over Fellaini's number.

You don't want to be causing unnecessary morale problems . Martial is our best player. We should treat him as such. See the embarrassing lengths Barca went to defend Messi for example. The only reason is because he is their best player.

monosierra

Regardless of Martial's role in the team, the club should've treated players fairly. It's just a simple act - inform the player first - but the fact that the club didn't see it necessary to do such a simple thing speaks a lot about professional communication standards or careless treatment of its employees.

Also concerned about Ibra's big man attitude, which might have worked in other clubs with under-dog mentalities (Even PSG in Europe) but may have a tougher time here.

Dinghy

It makes sense. But the club absolutely should have informed him. It's common courtesy.
Maybe they did, but Martials brand had already been in process for some time which the club didn't know about. He has had one year on a high level in football so far, and isn't exactly a club legend just yet, so when a new manager comes in there will be new players coming in, and there might be a change off numbers. -11- fits better with his position on the field as well. I don't know how you can blame the club for this if they didn't know about his brand-thing. If they knew, I agree it's a litte bit shitty.

3KDré

I don't know if it has been said yet but he unfollowed the club on twitter and insta. He seems pissed but will probably get over it.

K2K

Martial is your biggest asset and my favorite EPL player. Perez should make you guys pay for what you did there!
your wumming is really getting annoying

Madrid are 11 times European championship and one of the greatest clubs in football yet you as a fan have nothing better to do with your time than constantly wum another teams forum over issues with little to do with them .

Although some people get their kicks from strange things.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm surprised we didn't give Zlatan #7 to be honest. It's our most iconic number, he's already had the little bit of banter/PR with Cantona and it'd take the pressure off Memphis too.

But then if Zlatan has asked for it then it's not a surprise. I'd rather he gets his way than Rooney does at least.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Maybe they did, but Martials brand had already been in process for some time which the club didn't know about. He has had one year on a high level in football so far, and isn't exactly a club legend just yet so when a new manager comes in there will be new players coming in, and there might be a change off numbers. -11- fits better with his position on the field as well. I don't know how you can blame the club for this if they didn't know about his brand-thing. If they knew, I agree it's a litte bit shitty.
The person that broke he news says Martial and his people weren't informed.
And considering he was the one who broke the a martial transfer, I'm inclined to believe he's been told so by someone in Martial's camp.
Even if a new manager is ding in common courtesy demands you tell a player he's losing his shirt number. It's not hard. A simple fecking phone call will do.
Clubs get new managers every year. How many times do you hear things like this?
No one is saying the club doesn't have the right to change his number. Of course they do. But you have to go about these things in a decent way.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Regardless of Martial's role in the team, the club should've treated players fairly. It's just a simple act - inform the player first - but the fact that the club didn't see it necessary to do such a simple thing speaks a lot about professional communication standards or careless treatment of its employees.

Also concerned about Ibra's big man attitude, which might have worked in other clubs with under-dog mentalities (Even PSG in Europe) but may have a tougher time here.
How exactly has Zlatan showed his ”big man attitude” in this case?

Jaybomb

What "big man attitude"? :lol: It would be different if he took Rooney's number. Martial has been here for one year. Nobody even associates him with the 9. He even wears 11 for France.

gaucho_10

your wumming is really getting annoying

Madrid are 11 times European championship and one of the greatest clubs in football yet you as a fan have nothing better to do with your time than constantly wum another teams forum over issues with little to do with them .

Although some people get their kicks from strange things.
It's not wumming, the Perez thing was a joke and you should be able to take it. I stand by what I said. I think it's a bad decision to give the number to Zlatan just because he's here to pick up his last fat paycheck.

Turamb

Horribly handled by the club if they didn't ask Martial before giving away his number

Dinghy

Clubs get new managers every year. How many times do you hear things like this?
I don't know, but it seems it's the brand-thing thats the issue here. How many players creates a brand after just one good year? Somehow this seems to be a trend with our players as TC23, M7 and now AM9 comes to mind. Is this a phenomena only at United or does this happen at other english clubs as well? Does James Milner have JM7? It's so fecking cringeworthy in my opinion, but thats for another debate...

K2K

It's not wumming, the Perez thing was a joke and you should be able to take it. I stand by what I said. I think it's a bad decision to give the number to Zlatan just because he's here to pick up his last fat paycheck.
It's a bad decision .

And its not the first time you've done this. The Pogba thread being another. We get it You think Madrid are the best thing since sliced bread.

Some of us don't care and would never go out of their way to wum other club forums. They are better things to do in life I think.

parisite

How have you any idea that they didn't?
Martial seems to think they didn't. Why would he act all funny and get his undershorts in a bunch if they had.
He's changed his pages on social media (And i only have the images printed in L'Equipe to back that up) to photos pronouncedly showing him wearing his number 9 shirt. I'm sure that you can all check that out for yourselves. If the club had informed he wouldn't let it be said that they hadn't and get all huffy about it now would he.

arthurka

How is this picking up? This isn't anything not even a storm in a cup..
Martial gets nr 11 great for him, now we need to get the 7 from Depay..

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Looks to me like some moron working at the club didn't think this through. What a surprise.

parisite

Looks to me like some moron working at the club didn't think this through. What a surprise.
Could be. For those that remember this sort of thing, was Zlatan not presented to the nation's press with the Number 8 shirt ? Did that not provoke a lot of Mata's on his way out stuff ?..

Fully Fledged

Just make sure we send him a birthday cake and all this will be forgotten. Players these days are not happy with multi million salaries They need their every ego massaged.

Dreaded

Why would he launch a brand a week before as AM9 then?
Surely he wouldn't have done it if he was informed, right?
That doesn't mean he wasn't informed by the club.

It could mean he wasn't informed before that launch or that he didn't inform the club he was launching an AM9 campaign.

Dreaded

Martial seems to think they didn't. Why would he act all funny and get his undershorts in a bunch if they had.
He's changed his pages on social media (And i only have the images printed in L'Equipe to back that up) to photos pronouncedly showing him wearing his number 9 shirt. I'm sure that you can all check that out for yourselves. If the club had informed he wouldn't let it be said that they hadn't and get all huffy about it now would he.
That could be his social media manager who got the hump because they have some rebranding to do.

gaucho_10

It's a bad decision .

And its not the first time you've done this. The Pogba thread being another. We get it You think Madrid are the best thing since sliced bread.

Some of us don't care and would never go out of their way to wum other club forums. They are better things to do in life I think.
I'm here for years, not as a wum, but as a football fan and I intend to stay. I like this place and you should be happy that other club fans come in such a big number.

In Pogba thread I was only reacting to some idiotic comments from United fans and I was trying to explain what and why. Wumming is what you get when you write nonsense.

There's another post there from few minutes ago, you should check it out, it says that Veratti is more special then Pogba, pure controversy.

Honestly, I'm just amazed at how badly the club is run on football and man mamagememt level from the moment SAF retired. I mean, whatever you do, yo do wrong. You're a club trying to get back to where you've been for the last 20 years and then a decision like this one. Such a trivial thing and the way it was done, Martial will have problem with. You can count on that. The people at the club should have used this oportunity to do the opposite and show the kid that he is special (which he is, because he's great and he is the future). Instead, all you did was fuel the ego of a egomaniac who is way past his best. Instead of making Zlatan feel honoured to be a part of Man United at his age, you're the one feeling honoured to have him put on the red shirt. That's just wrong.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Zlatan can feck off give Martial whatever number he wants.

Stupid ass decision if they didn't ask martial first.

parisite

Zlatan can feck off give Martial whatever number he wants.

Stupid ass decision if they didn't ask martial first.
Not ask necessarily but at least inform him in advance.
Why didn't Zlatan keep the number 8 shirt that he was presented to the press with?
Did Mata kick up a fuss ? Did Adidas kick up a fuss? Did José not want to be seen as victimising Mata again?
Who knows.

Bruno8

Now that Zlatan has already announced that he is getting No 9 there is no chance Martial will get his number back even if its realised that they made a mistake. Although there is still a window of opportunity to use the "provisional numbers" as an excuse

Gasolin

I'm here for years, not as a wum, but as a football fan and I intend to stay. I like this place and you should be happy that other club fans come in such a big number.

In Pogba thread I was only reacting to some idiotic comments from United fans and I was trying to explain what and why. Wumming is what you get when you write nonsense.

There's another post there from few minutes ago, you should check it out, it says that Veratti is more special then Pogba, pure controversy.

Honestly, I'm just amazed at how badly the club is run on football and man mamagememt level from the moment SAF retired. I mean, whatever you do, yo do wrong. You're a club trying to get back to where you've been for the last 20 years and then a decision like this one. Such a trivial thing and the way it was done, Martial will have problem with. You can count on that. The people at the club should have used this oportunity to do the opposite and show the kid that he is special (which he is, because he's great and he is the future). Instead, all you did was fuel the ego of a egomaniac who is way past his best. Instead of making Zlatan feel honoured to be a part of Man United at his age, you're the one feeling honoured to have him put on the red shirt. That's just wrong.
It's the main problem right now, the money is flowing but somehow the management is poor.
Some of those details should never be handled this way.
Hopefully, the focus will be better once the results on the pitch are better.
But they are not supposed to be correlated, normally...

Gasolin

Now that Zlatan has already announced that he is getting No 9 there is no chance Martial will get his number back even if its realised that they made a mistake. Although there is still a window of opportunity to use the "provisional numbers" as an excuse
In football, everything is possible. The club just has to do it.

K2K

It's the wrong decision and if you bothered to see what some of us have said in this very thread ,we actually agree.

But the Madrid taunts are unwarranted. Yes we have made many big mistakes ,but Madrid themselves are far from immune from making stupid decisions .

Just because someone posts stupid things doesn't mean you respond in kind. Most of the opposition fans on here are great without responding to childish taunts.

TsuWave

Sorry, wheres the joke? Zlatan is easily top 5 in the world.
he's really not "easily" top 5, just off the top of the head, messi, neymar, ronaldo, suarez, griezman. then you could start arguing bale, muller etc. ibra is still amazing though

You're right. We should bend over backwards for a 20 year old who isn't honoured to wear arguably our biggest legend's shirt number after all these years. Who needs Zlatan and all these big signings when we have the great Martial. He's 100% guaranteed to win the Ballon d'Or over Neymar, Pogba, Hazard, Bale, etc. I mean, Monaco put it in his contract, right?

:rolleyes:
dear me, if that's what you got from my post. yikes.

1. "honoured to wear our biggest legend's number", this romantic and poetic approach to football can be quite hilarious sometimes. martial is 20 year old kid from france, not a local longsight lad. maybe he grew up watching united an idolising giggs, maybe he did not, maybe he is flattered the 11 was given to him, maybe he's not. all that is besides the point the club changed his number without informing him, a change that affects his branding and potential income. a change that was allegedly very poorly handled by the club. Any decent manager will tell you that appreciation towards their workforce creates a better working environment, boosts productivity and breeds loyalty. If what has been reported truly transpired, then united is not really showing that it is appreciative of their best outfield player last year, its just simply poor by the club. I don't know how or where you got "bend over backwards" from something so simple.

2. Ibrahimovic has a great track record but he has done nothing for the club besides signing, we are yet to see what it will turn out like. Martial at least, was the bright light of yet another dreadful campaign. 3. Funny that you mention our "big money signings" and yet even after they are all done the likelihood of martial still being our best player remains high.

4. I didn't even imply at him winning the balon d'or, odd that you mention that. actually, the entire last paragraph of your post just reads like filler people add to their posts to make it look like they are making poignant arguments. I don't know how you got all that from my post.

gaucho_10

But the Madrid taunts are unwarranted. Yes we have made many big mistakes ,but Madrid themselves are far from immune from making stupid decisions .
We used to be the kings of stupid decisions. Last few years we're doing shrewd business for a change. Long may it continue.

Just because someone posts stupid things doesn't mean you respond in kind.
Fair enough.