Martin Ødegaard | Arsenal player

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Which was a perfectly legitimate reaction until you managed to sign him permanently.
There seems to be snobbery with loans with some people. Sometimes loans can be a necessity due to circumstance, especially in the January window, perhaps a budget / FFP issue doesn't allow a permanent signing, perhaps theres little availability in the market, perhaps injuries or Ronaldo / Aubameyang situations require emergency reinforcements.

Basically they can be a decent temporary solution to a problem, and if that loan works well for both sides, can lay the groundwork for a more permanent solution like in the case of Odegaard.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
He seems like one club man to me
Might be, his name sounds basque and they often play for Sociedad or Bilbao. Saw news yesterday that he just returned after 9 months out with cruciate ligament injury. Hope he gets back into it. He could be an important player for Spain and a good UCL side again.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Really owe Madrid for loaning us Odegaard, and then selling him for just 30m even after he proved he was the real deal. They could have charged 120m, and it wouldn't be out of question. Hope all our feeder clubs behave in that way.
RM is not your feeder club. He was useless and did not have the mentality to play for a big club like RM. He wanted to move on and RM is not the kind of club that will keep a player against it's will.

zaafi

RM is not your feeder club. He was useless and did not have the mentality to play for a big club like RM. He wanted to move on and RM is not the kind of club that will keep a player against it's will.
:lol: :lol: He didn't even get a chance. And there's no way he would get picked ahead of a midfield trio of Casemiro, Kroos and Modric.
Funny how you talk about his mentality like you pretend you have any idea what you're talking about.

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Really great player and will be perfect with that Ukrainian winger. Playing for such a likable team too, although I dislike Saka.. There's just something about him that annoys. Odegaard is perfect though.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
I think there is no way anyone is deluded enough to say that Madrid is a feeder club for any club in the world with a straight face. It would seems the poster was having a little fun. (And stay away from Saka/Martinelli/Saliba for the next decade.)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
:lol: :lol: He didn't even get a chance. And there's no way he would get picked ahead of a midfield trio of Casemiro, Kroos and Modric.
Funny how you talk about his mentality like you pretend you have any idea what you're talking about.
He didn't get a chance. Mentality thing is just an excuse because he clearly didn't develop there. He was one of the best 15 year olds we've ever seen. Handling something like that is not Real Madrid's blue print, they buy random ready stars and hope for the best. If a 20 year old is struggling they loan or sell him and buy him back if he makes it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There seems to be snobbery with loans with some people. Sometimes loans can be a necessity due to circumstance, especially in the January window, perhaps a budget / FFP issue doesn't allow a permanent signing, perhaps theres little availability in the market, perhaps injuries or Ronaldo / Aubameyang situations require emergency reinforcements.

Basically they can be a decent temporary solution to a problem, and if that loan works well for both sides, can lay the groundwork for a more permanent solution like in the case of Odegaard.
100% - I think it's mostly PL bigger club fans: we often see the idea of a loans only from an outgoing perspective, either a young player getting experience or a player you want sold to get time elsewhere. Failing to see it from an incoming perspective of a player for 6-12 months fill a void of a profile your club lacks.

In contrast, some of the bigger clubs in Europe seem to have less pride/shame in doing so -- consider the big boys in Italy loaning in players like Morata and Darmian who have helped a title win or two in their time on loan.

Far from the ideal solution, but definitely has its merits.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
We don't regret selling him, a lot of players end up performing better at different clubs due to a variety of circumstances. I think we could do with him but I would also have liked to keep, let's say Kovacic, as a back up for Modric and Kroos.

I'm happy he's doing ok but I regret more having someone like Hazard still in the team. :(

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Arsenal's best player by far. What an amazing steal for them. Soon they will have that insanely fast Ukrainian winger as well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We don't regret selling him, a lot of players end up performing better at different clubs due to a variety of circumstances. I think we could do with him but I would also have liked to keep, let's say Kovacic, as a back up for Modric and Kroos.

I'm happy he's doing ok but I regret more having someone like Hazard still in the team. :(
Ofcourse when you have/had players like Modric, Kroos, Casemiro and then ready with new core with players like Valverde, Tchou, Camavinga then its hard to miss any players. Then all those Brazilian wonderkids in the attack.

fecking hell, what a brilliantly run club you are.

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Ofcourse when you have/had players like Modric, Kroos, Casemiro and then ready with new core with players like Valverde, Tchou, Camavinga then its hard to miss any players. Then all those Brazilian wonderkids in the attack.

The best part is they cut bait when the players burn out . Vini Jr is one that could burn out fast and when he does, Madrid will do the right thing. The heart and soul of Madrid over the years have been guys like Modric/Ramos/Benezma etc etc. Good club.. Although I like Barcalona players move and believe they have more talent.

Gavi and Pedro is more talented than Vini Jr

I see people watched the highlights :lol:

You’d all be slagging him off if he played here like he did last night in a 0-0, screaming about him constantly giving the ball away with his 66% passing accuracy.

Looking a cracking player now.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I see people watched the highlights :lol:

You’d all be slagging him off if he played here like he did last night in a 0-0, screaming about him constantly giving the ball away with his 66% passing accuracy.

Looking a cracking player now.
As annoying as they were, you have to credit Newcastle. By double and triple marking Martinelli out of the game they cut our main offensive route. Even Saka had a quieter game as he was also often double marked. He couldnt go left nor right with his passing. We had to rely massively on Xhaka and Zinchenko's precise passing through the middle to get anything done.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
What is your excuse for Valverde? He is a natural CM but have adapted well to a whole new position(RW) which is/was Ødegaard natural position....

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
As annoying as they were, you have to credit Newcastle. By double and triple marking Martinelli out of the game they cut our main offensive route. Even Saka had a quieter game as he was also often double marked. He couldnt go left nor right with his passing. We had to rely massively on Xhaka and Zinchenko's precise passing through the middle to get anything done.
The game just showed how far both teams have come within the past 8 months. It was a good game of football and Newcastle is a well-coached team.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol::lol:

Fecks sake
He’s not the best player in general but I don’t think it’s that controversial to say he’s should win the POTY this season if this form carries on. He’s been really incredible this season.

mu4c_20le

He’s not the best player in general but I don’t think it’s that controversial to say he’s should win the POTY this season if this form carries on. He’s been really incredible this season.
Club POTY? or the league one over Haaland ?

SAFMUTD

Exactly, he's a great player and was always a youngster with top potential. The fact he had a great season with Real Sociedad and yet he couldn't break through in Madrid is not because lack of quality it's because they had one of the best midfields in history with Casemiro-Kroos-Modric.

zaafi

What is your excuse for Valverde? He is a natural CM but have adapted well to a whole new position(RW) which is/was Ødegaard natural position....
Just because one player does well in a new position doesn't mean everyone can. Ødegaard is absolutely not a right winger, and I have no idea why you think that. He is an attacking midfielder, a creative #10 and that's his best position. Playing him on the right would be denying him to unleash his abilities. Valverde and Ødegaard aren't similar players, and the way Real Madrid are playing, Valverde is the better fit playing on the right side. Real Madrid essentially play with 4 centre midfielders and it allows them to easier control matches, but I personally believe they are less creative than they would be with Ødegaard in this side. Vinicius would absolutely love having Ødegaard in that team now.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
Just because one player does well in a new position doesn't mean everyone can. Ødegaard is absolutely not a right winger, and I have no idea why you think that. He is an attacking midfielder, a creative #10 and that's his best position. Playing him on the right would be denying him to unleash his abilities. Valverde and Ødegaard aren't similar players, and the way Real Madrid are playing, Valverde is the better fit playing on the right side. Real Madrid essentially play with 4 centre midfielders and it allows them to easier control matches, but I personally believe they are less creative than they would be with Ødegaard in this side. Vinicius would absolutely love having Ødegaard in that team now.
RW is his second most capped position, before his move to Sociedad the numbers between the roles 60%-40% in favor for RW. Anyone who has followed him over the years(especially the Norwegians like me unlike you) knew this very well and that he loves to cut inside from the right flank when given opportunity.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I mean Valverde actually has decent pace so playing on the wing for him probably comes easier..

zaafi

RW is his second most capped position, before his move to Sociedad the numbers between the roles 60%-40% in favor for RW. Anyone who has followed him over the years(especially the Norwegians like me unlike you) knew this very well and that he loves to cut inside from the right flank when given opportunity.
Cute how you assume I'm not Norwegian when it literally says "Norway" below my name tag. And by saying he played mostly RW before his move to Real Sociedad, you are indirectly admitting it's not his best role, because he didn't really hit the ground running before his move to Real Sociedad. He had some decent performances for Heerenveen but that's about it. Managers play players in wrong positions all the time, and because he played right wing doesn't make him one. Hell, even Juan Mata played right wing for us. Would you call Mata a typical winger?
And as for the fact that he loves to cut inside from the right flank when given the opportunity, this really applies to every player that is left footed. Vice versa for right footed players. For instance, Bruno Fernandes loves to cut inside from left when given the opportunity. But he isn't a left winger. He doesn't have the dribbling ability, pace or explosiveness so these opportunities are rare.

Ødegaard is majestic as a #10 behind the striker because of his unreal vision and ability to execute passes out of this world, both to the left, middle and right side. Playing him on the right would be wasting his abilities.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

Well yeah, of course it was going to be hard for him to break through and we did pretty ok without him last season to be fair so that's why I don't agree with the notion that we are regretting selling him. We also have other young midfielders that were able to break through into the first team, so it's not like the team doesn't give chances to young players.

It didn't work out for him here, but there's a lot of competition here and I think this move worked out pretty well for all parties involved; Real Madrid, Arsenal and the player. We don't have many players of his profile but at this stage in his carreer it was a good move for him to go for Arsenal and get regular games there. Wouldn't mind having him back in the future but he's doing very well there so it would be for his best interest to stay in Arsenal longer.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Cute how you assume I'm not Norwegian when it literally says "Norway" below my name tag. And by saying he played mostly RW before his move to Real Sociedad, you are indirectly admitting it's not his best role, because he didn't really hit the ground running before his move to Real Sociedad. He had some decent performances for Heerenveen but that's about it. Managers play players in wrong positions all the time, and because he played right wing doesn't make him one. Hell, even Juan Mata played right wing for us. Would you call Mata a typical winger?
And as for the fact that he loves to cut inside from the right flank when given the opportunity, this really applies to every player that is left footed. Vice versa for right footed players. For instance, Bruno Fernandes loves to cut inside from left when given the opportunity. But he isn't a left winger. He doesn't have the dribbling ability, pace or explosiveness so these opportunities are rare.

Ødegaard is majestic as a #10 behind the striker because of his unreal vision and ability to execute passes out of this world, both to the left, middle and right side. Playing him on the right would be wasting his abilities.
I totally agree that he's best cut out for the #10 role behind a front 3, but you are forgetting how brilliant he was on the right flank for Vitesse the season before he went to Real Sociedad. That was the first time since his move to Real Madrid that you really could see his potential and he played 3/4 of his matches on the right flank for them.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Confirmed as player of the month now, and worst part of it for the rest of the league is that I think we will only get better. He seems so mature, considering his age.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Surely will be a contender for POTY if Arsenal end up winning the league?

Seemed so callow not so long ago but has been excellent this season.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He had his turning point last November December and started putting in impressive performances, but then tailed off a little towards the end of the season, especially when teams actively tried to crowd him out.

He’s always had the technical ability and intelligence, but the confidence he’s playing with is really helping him impose himself on games.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Those who called him finished for not dispatching the Casemiro-Modric-Kroos midfield as a teenager are looking a bit silly now.

croadyman

We need to keep him quiet like we managed for most of the game with De Bruyne

Mr PG

We have a Norwegian with more potential in the academy. I actually consider him the most talented player in our academy. Isak Aaron Hansen. I also earmarked Garnacho to be in the first team 2yrs ago.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We have a Norwegian with more potential in the academy. I actually consider him the most talented player in our academy. Isak Aaron Hansen. I also earmarked Garnacho to be in the first team 2yrs ago.
I mean, he’s a great talent from what I’ve seen of him but is there any reason to suggest that an 18 years old player that hasn’t even been remotely close to be playing for the first team regularly has more potential than the guy who was already playing for his national team aged 15, fully establishing himself as a starter at 19 while also playing at a high level at Eredivisie? I’m not sure if Hansen-Aarøen has even made a debut for Norwegian U-21 team yet.

It’s more of a rhetorical question but feel free to answer it if you’d like to.

slored1

Reminds me of a mix between prime Ozil and Cazorla. Tidy but incredibly effective at the same time, what a player. Wish we got him as a Mata replacement a couple of years ago.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Surely will be a contender for POTY if Arsenal end up winning the league?
Definitely. As of this moment in time now, there’s probably a crop of players something like Odegaard, Casemiro, Haaland, Rashford, Saka, and a Newcastle player like maybe Trippier.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I was arguing we go for Martin when he was in Sociedad. With the power of hindsight we probably should have.