Martin Ødegaard | Arsenal player

LazyGoal

I think Odegaard feels Madrid wasted him up till this point, and broke a lot of promises. He has had enough. He knows, and has shown his worth. For him, its like either Carlos is in or he is out for him - not the other way around. Carlos is not in on Ødegaard, so Ødegaard moves like he should to coach and a club that belives in him and will make him their main man.

Remember also that Ancelotti was manager back when Perez signed him at the age of 16. Ancelotti was way over the line later on in his book calling Ødegaard a PR-signing just to make him self bigger. I dont think this is forgotten by team Ødegaard, and this is a bit of the reason they might not be so keen to trust him white Martins development to next crucial years. You can also add that Martin is tight with Joshua King, which Anclotti made promises to last season at Everton but had no problem with breaking them when it came down to business.

Coaches like Slutsky (Vitesse) and Alguacil (Real Sociedad) really brought out the best in him. I think Martin see the same in Arteta, and absolutly not in Ancelotti.

If Arteta can contiune where they left of last season (3 best teams since Martins first game), they will be fine.

Last edited:

MattofManchester

I think it's a good move for him, to play regularily in the PL instead of being loaned out for the 50th time, or be squad player at Real.
Moving to a failing Arsenal side? I don't agree, tbh. I think he'll stagnate and never realize his level.

His time under Zidane was a nightmare, and he perhaps didn't see a home anymore at Real, but there were other clubs.
He is a prodigious talent, but unlucky with injuries and seems to have lost his confidence. However, still very young.

I just don't think Arsenal is the place for him, especially under a manager who looks like he's playing chess blindfolded. Clubs like Villa or Leicester would have been better options.

Womp

idiot
Remember him and Halalovic being touted as the next Messi's. :lol: Ryan Gauld was another one.

Halftrack

You missed the point. The other guy was claiming that he was the best player in the league after to Messi, so the fact that Real Madrid 1) sold him 2) sold him cheap, kinda invalidates that claim.

I have nothing against the player, hope he achieves his potential at Arsenal.
It often helps to actually read what people write. At no point did @onetwo3oclock4oclockrock claim he was the second best player in La Liga. They said that many experts regarded him as the second best player in La Liga back in 19/20 before his jumper's knee (reportedly) caused his form to dip, which is true. In his first few months at La Real, many experts did say that, on current form, only Messi was better.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Such a narrow minded view point.

So far we've:

- Upgraded Ryan with Ramsdale (not worth the fee, but it's a homegrown upgrade so we will see)
- Upgraded Luiz with White (again, too expensive but we'll see)
- Upgraded Kolasinac with Tavares (not too hard to get better on)
- Replaced Ceballos with Lakonga, who has looked quite good so far.
- Signed Odegaard permanently for £30m, which is a great fee. You can mock all you want but we improved A LOT (statistically and fluidly) with him in the team, and he is a leader.
What a way to paint a narrative. Firstly I underlined upgraded because this is an opinion. You then realize one of your signings not be an upgrade and instead of saying possible downgrade (at least in the present) you use replace to give that positive spin on it.

Secondly you call a relatively inexperienced player a leader. If a 22 year old came to Chelsea and immediately became one of the main leaders in the team I’d be extremely worried.

What people have said is you guys have spent over £100 million and don’t have much to show for that. Like City buying Grealish for £100 million who isn’t an obvious upgrade over their other attacking players. The difference between Arsenal and City.. is well.. they have a world class squad and you don’t. They have money to burn.. you don’t.

I look at those transfers and they might grow in the future but in the present, they are not upgrades in the sense that they dramatically improve your team.

the_cliff

A lot of people here are talking about him having Bruno/KDB potential, personally I don't see it, they are very different types of players. Odegaard judging by his stats and from watching is a very safe player and prefers to choose the safe option rather than risk losing the ball. (while Bruno and KDB could care less).

His stats with Arsenal aren't that impressive tbh:
14 Apps
1 Goal
2 Assists
3 shots on target 3 off target
1 Big Chance Created
2 Through Balls

All of that in 866 minutes.

Don't mean to sound like a hater but those stats sound like what Bruno/KDB would get in a 90 min game against a mid table side.

He does however, have a 91% pass completion percentage which is better than both KDB/Bruno which proves my point of him being a safe player. He is technically gifted and at times a brilliant footballer he just seems a very different type of player to a Bruno/KDB so don't get the comparisons. I think a Bernardo Silva would be a more apt comparison.

Nogbadthebad

In fairness to him, arteta is a coward of a manager and its hard to blame the player for playing the safe option every time when that is clearly what he is told to do.

Having said that, he seemed to have the world at his feet when he joined Real, and when you look at the progress of the likes of Sancho, Mbappe, Haaland and even Rashford, you have to think he's not really where he should be at 22.

Be interesting to see how he goes with arsenal, I don't think he is the difference maker some believe him to be, and never will be.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He's one of those players who needs confindence and comfortable enviorment at least that's what I hope he gets at Arsenal as I'm still curious about him reaching his potential. Figured an ideal team for him would be Dortmund but Arsenal is a good team as well and if he can make it in the Premier League then he can thrive everywhere.

Robbie Boy

The nationality bias in here :lol:

He's an average player who didn't live up to the early hype, it happens so no need to stress about it.

Suedesi

It often helps to actually read what people write. At no point did @onetwo3oclock4oclockrock claim he was the second best player in La Liga. They said that many experts regarded him as the second best player in La Liga back in 19/20 before his jumper's knee (reportedly) caused his form to dip, which is true. In his first few months at La Real, many experts did say that, on current form, only Messi was better.
:lol:

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Remember that time he was whored around Europe at 15 years old and he had a pick of the clubs? I completely forgot this happened. A year later Rodgers was sacked and I wonder now how his trajectory would have gone under Klopp.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I have to laugh at the title just because 'Arsenal player' sounds like a damning indictment even when stated neutrally and factually. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Odegaard feels Madrid wasted him up till this point, and broke a lot of promises. He has had enough. He knows, and has shown his worth. For him, its like either Carlos is in or he is out for him - not the other way around. Carlos is not in on Ødegaard, so Ødegaard moves like he should to coach and a club that belives in him and will make him their main man.

Remember also that Ancelotti was manager back when Perez signed him at the age of 16. Ancelotti was way over the line later on in his book calling Ødegaard a PR-signing just to make him self bigger. I dont think this is forgotten by team Ødegaard, and this is a bit of the reason they might not be so keen to trust him white Martins development to next crucial years. You can also add that Martin is tight with Joshua King, which Anclotti made promises to last season at Everton but had no problem with breaking them when it came down to business.

Coaches like Slutsky (Vitesse) and Alguacil (Real Sociedad) really brought out the best in him. I think Martin see the same in Arteta, and absolutly not in Ancelotti.

If Arteta can contiune where they left of last season (3 best teams since Martins first game), they will be fine.
Most likely Arteta will continue being a bang average manager while playing incredibly boring football. Hopefully that's not considered fine by Arsenal fans.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Or maybe Madrid think he isn't good enough to be a Madrid player, someone who wants to play as first team regular. That also might be an option.

DelPotro

He should have joined Dortmund or Ajax when he was 15. Those two teams would be perfect for him. Instead he chose RM and got loaned out to 3-4 different teams. Obviously he is still very young and can improve a lot but I highly doubt Arsenal or the EPL is the right choice for his development.

MattyLT

I have to laugh at the title just because 'Arsenal player' sounds like a damning indictment even when stated neutrally and factually. :lol:
Arsenal player
[ahr-suh-nl pley-er]

noun

1. A person of above average esthetic skill, but lacking in end product and the mentality to see things through. Usually describing a football, but can also be applied to other trades.

Example:

"Who the hell did your electrical wiring? Those sockets and dimmers look really nice and tidy and all, but every time I touch anything, the whole thing just short-circuits."

"Ah yes, clearly the company sent me an Arsenal player to set it up. I shall immediately send a written complaint."

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He hasn't yet put his foot on the Emirates grass after the transfer and is just 22. From reading this thread I have impression of Özegawr as a washed up veteran of 28. That he supposedly "failed" at Madrid doesn't mean much, as a lot of factors contributed. Hopefully his jumpers knee is completely healed, and I suppose it is since Arsenal bought him. Also hope he's ready for the PL mentally, as the impression is in some matches he hide himself. Now he is out of the shadows and it's up to him to prove himself.
Huh? He played for them last season and did very little of note.

DWelbz19

He was very good when he played for Arsenal the 3 months he was here, did you watch him. Pretty much Bruno level, may even be better.. Was also great with Sociedad. I don't know why people that have actually watched him play would need tone it down just because you're in a Utd forum.
:lol:

feck me, man. Even in the lowest I’ve ever seen this club, Arsenal fans still manage to remain batshit crazy.

DWelbz19

The nationality bias in here :lol:

He's an average player who didn't live up to the early hype, it happens so no need to stress about it.
Yep. Worst I’ve seen it on this forum with was James McCarthy. Some of the Caf was absolutely devastated he never got it going.

Bogga

Wonder why he uses the norwegian version of "Ö" on his shirt while Lindelöf doesn't use ours?

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
It just goes to show how far Arsenal have fallen recently.

From Henry and Bergkamp to Pepe and Odegaard.

United fell a long way after Sir Alex but I don't think they would ever have accepted the mediocrity that Arsenal now seem to take for granted after Wenger.

Last edited:

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Maybe because his name is Ødegaard and it is pronounced different than with an O? Haaland actually changed his name, as it originally was Håland (but the pronounciation is the same there). Ødegaards name is Ødegaard, not Odegaard.

Bogga

Because Lindelöfs name is written with Ö, not Ø.
Well duhhh... still the same letter more or less and pronounced the same. My best guess would be since it's the first letter in his surname, while Lindelöfs isn't

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Well duhhh... still the same letter more or less and pronounced the same. My best guess would be since it's the first letter in his surname, while Lindelöfs isn't
Just saying it has nothing to do with the letters on the shirt, it's his name. Why his name is spelled like that, no idea.

Wonder why he uses the norwegian version of "Ö" on his shirt while Lindelöf doesn't use ours?
In Norway it's Ø, in Sweden it's Ö. Same pronunciation, but written differently in the two countries.
Sorry, think i misread the question. Guess Øde think Ø is cool, while Linde is a ö-hater.

Yet RM sold him for how much?
30 mill, or something. Ødegaard isn't developing like he should in RM, and the player wants to leave, so not surprising that they are offloading him.

Remember Bruno was sold from Samdoria and back to Portugal for 8,5 mill, and KdB from Chelsea to Wolfsburg for 18 mill, when they were one year older than Ødegaard. So, you really can't tell where they'll end up at that age.

Remember Bruno was sold from Samdoria and back to Portugal for 8,5 mill, and KdB from Chelsea to Wolfsburg for 18 mill, when they were one year older than Ødegaard. So, you really can't tell where they'll end up at that age.
Yeah but literally thousands of other players, a la Keiran Richardson, Adnan Januzaj, hell even Reyes at Arsenal etc etc etc have gone the other way.
KdB and Bruno are special cases indeed. A player would have to do something outrageously special to have me claiming he has KdB potential; as KdB exists in the tiny tiny 0.1% of exceptional elite footballers. A few decent months in Spain isn’t close to enough.

LazyGoal

Or maybe Madrid think he isn't good enough to be a Madrid player, someone who wants to play as first team regular. That also might be an option.
Well. Would kinda be the same if Solskjær gave the same message to Greenwood last season after injurys, that england trip and how many games without a goal?

Thing is that Ødegaard proved himself in Holland on the same level as de Jong in a lesser team, and created stats on Messi level in La Liga (which madrid have none of) before he got injured. Martin wanted another year at Real Sociedad, but Madrid brought him back a year early just to not give confidence and a good postion.

Madrid dosent really have midfielder like him for the next 3-4 years and are pretty broke, so the whole thing dosent add up. At least not from a 22 years old perspective.