Martin Ødegaard - Next season

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I recently read an article saying that Madrid are quite disappointed by the fact that he has chosen the Dutch league, apparently influenced by his father, to be closer to Norway.
The club considers that there is little competition and it will not mean an improvement

What's the difference between going to Holland and going to Germany for instance? Isn't that more or less the same?

arthurka

That Real move was the worst career move in history. A move to Ajax or Dortmund would have been something to help him progress, hell even staying in Norway would have been better. Threw away the most important developing years .

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
What's the difference between going to Holland and going to Germany for instance? Isn't that more or less the same?
It is not the same to play against Bayern and Borussia than against Ajax or PSV.Fortuna,Alkmaar,Breda..
Look how well Achraf is doing in Germany, meanwhile we only know about Odegaard when he scored goals (I think in 2017 there was also a news from him for a nice free kick). In any case, I think the idea was to go to Leganés as Óscar Rodríguez or a similar team

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It is not the same to play against Bayern and Borussia than against Ajax or PSV.Fortuna,Alkmaar,Breda..
Look how well Achraf is doing in Germany, meanwhile we only know about Odegaard when he scored goals (I think in 2017 there was also a news from him for a nice free kick). In any case, I think the idea was to go to Leganés as Óscar Rodríguez or a similar team
No, I agree with you on that. I mean in terms of being close to Norway. I think it would be more or less the same if he played for Cologne or Dortmund for instance.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No of course I dont but the way things are going and going by how youth is normally treated by Real its not that far fetched.
It's incredibly far fetched. You've claimed playing in the Norwegian league is better than receiving the highest level of training at Real, training with the best players in the world and also getting regular game time in the third tier of Spanish football. Which is complete non-sense in itself. You've then claimed this is such a massive difference that he was guaranteed to become a top player before but now spending a couple of years at Madrid means he has no chance of even making it in a top league. It's not just far fetched but just downright nonsense.

That Real move was the worst career move in history. A move to Ajax or Dortmund would have been something to help him progress, hell even staying in Norway would have been better. Threw away the most important developing years .
He'd have been miles better off joining Ajax or Dortmund, if you put aside the economic aspect. These kind of clubs would have done everything to help him reach his potential, the likes of Madrid were never going to do that, was always going to be some crappy loan moves etc which are nowhere as beneficial to a player as playing for his mother club.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I am not sure he'd be able to get many minutes on a loan to any team in a big5 league...
Those loans must be studied well and sometimes it is not done. In the case of Lunin it has been a disaster, and apparently they are going to look for another destination.
I think that in Rayo, Villarreal, he could get 20/25 matches. I agreed to stop him and be calm but now he has to dare more

arthurka

It's incredibly far fetched. You've claimed playing in the Norwegian league is better than receiving the highest level of training at Real, training with the best players in the world and also getting regular game time in the third tier of Spanish football. Which is complete non-sense in itself. You've then claimed this is such a massive difference that he was guaranteed to become a top player before but now spending a couple of years at Madrid means he has no chance of even making it in a top league. It's not just far fetched but just downright nonsense.
Ok whatever suits your agenda.

Going to Real instead of going to Ajax or Dortmund was a terrible move for his development even if you try to point out that playing in third tier spanish league might do him the world of good. Real has not been known for nurturing talent and its very likely that this move was finacially or status motivated. Sadly it hasnt done him any good career wise so of course it easy for me to point to it but at the time of his move I said as much.

The Norwegian league point still stands for me he was already playing there at the age of 16 and would have gained experiance playing games in a very competitive league. Playing there for two more years and then move to Germany or Holland wouldnt have hurt him at all.

I am no Nostradamus and he might get back on track but sadly he looks very mediocre in the Dutch league even after training with all those stars and playing in the mighty third tier in Spain.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I am not sure he'd be able to get many minutes on a loan to any team in a big5 league...
Exactly. It's not like he's tearing the Eredivisie apart. It's just his level and I'm not sure why he should be ready for the next step.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
No of course I dont but the way things are going and going by how youth is normally treated by Real its not that far fetched.
It's actually not as bad as it seems either. In the current squad all of Casemiro, Marcelo, Carvajal, Nacho, Lucas Vázquez, Reguilón, Mariano, Valverde, Casilla, Vinicius :D and Llorente played for Castilla, thus 11 players. The real problem is that you have to be among the absolute best to triumph there and that happens very rarely.

arthurka

It's actually not as bad as it seems either. In the current squad all of Casemiro, Marcelo, Carvajal, Nacho, Lucas Vázquez, Reguilón, Mariano, Valverde, Casilla, Vinicius :D and Llorente played for Castilla, thus 11 players. The real problem is that you have to be among the absolute best to triumph there and that happens very rarely.
I agree you have to be the absolute best to have a chance and I am not sure Ødegaard was.

Eriku

He's become way better at asserting himself in matches the past year or so. I still think he might become one of football's biggest attractions. His vision and passing is tremendous, coupled with great technique.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
His final day as a teenager. Feels like he has been a teen forever.

Rest of this season is vital for him. He has said that he isn't interested in more loan spells so this is probably the last shot he has to prove he is worthy of an opportunity at Real. I doubt they'll keep him but if he can continue this recent form I'm sure the likes of Ajax and possibly even Dortmund would be interested in the summer.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You can see that he's special. If he learns to utilize his footballing abilities properly he's got a very very high ceiling. Possibly the highest of all youngsters out there currently making head lines..

Plassryss

As for todays situation Ødegaard is not a Manchester United quality player and we dont need more ifs!

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I don't know what is Real Madrid thinking back then offering an unproven 16 year old teenager £80k a week, yet they tried to lowball on Mbappe's salary who is already highly regarded as the world's best teenager and proven himself on the biggest stage. Hindsight is a bitch. This couldn't be such a huge contrast in comparison. Was this kid even that good in the first place to get all those hype? Maybe Odegaard himself knew he wasn't that good in the first place, so he took the money to join Real Madrid instead of going to a club like Ajax or Dortmund for his development. Fair play to him, he's a millionaire now and he can retire back home in Norway.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know what is Real Madrid thinking back them offering an unproven 16 year old teenager £80k a week, yet they tried to lowball on Mbappe's salary who is already highly regarded as the world's best teenager and proven himself on the biggest stage. Hindsight is a bitch. This couldn't be such a huge contrast in comparison. Was this kid even that good in the first place to get all those hype? Maybe Odegaard himself knew he wasn't that good in the first place, so he took the money to join Real Madrid instead of going to a club like Ajax or Dortmund for his development. Fair play to him, he's a millionaire now and he can retire back home in Norway.
Very well put. Fully agree. Good luck to the Odegaards.

Stadjer

He clearly has talent but lets not forget he plays in the Eredivisie. The Eredivisie is really really bad. It is PSV and Ajax and after that a lot of nothing. After a lot of nothing there is subtop with Feyenoord, AZ and Utrecht and after that it is just really really bad.

Classical Mechanic

He clearly has talent but lets not forget he plays in the Eredivisie. The Eredivisie is really really bad. It is PSV and Ajax and after that a lot of nothing. After a lot of nothing there is subtop with Feyenoord, AZ and Utrecht and after that it is just really really bad.
It is poor after PSV and Ajax granted. I think The Championship is a harder league. That said, it’s a good starting point for talented youngsters.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It is poor after PSV and Ajax granted. I think The Championship is a harder league. That said, it’s a good starting point for talented youngsters.
The amount of 7-0 and 5-0 games are insane they do not care about defense in that league.

SportingCP96

Supports
PSV and Ajax already have +50 GD.
Ya it's a joke I understand that they are the two top clubs ( as well as Feyenoord ) but do teams just not know how to stay back? In Portugal the smaller clubs make it hell for the big 3 at times very defensive minded football.

Gfooty

Ya it's a joke I understand that they are the two top clubs ( as well as Feyenoord ) but do teams just not know how to stay back? In Portugal the smaller clubs make it hell for the big 3 at times very defensive minded football.
Its not any different in Eredivisie. All teams park the bus against PSV and Ajax; it's just that the quality difference, especially this year, is night and day. They simply cannot hold ground.

Besides not every manager parks the bus as good as Jose
:lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Its not any different in Eredivisie. All teams park the bus against PSV and Ajax; it's just that the quality difference, especially this year, is night and day. They simply cannot hold ground.

Besides not every manager parks the bus as good as Jose
:lol:
It is not just this season for years now the most average of players can bang in 20 goals in the Eredivisie. But like I said the dutch are not really known for their defense.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It is not just this season for years now the most average of players can bang in 20 goals in the Eredivisie. But like I said the dutch are not really known for their defense.
But at the same time some of the top defenders who have been signed outside the top 5 leagues on recent years come from there.

SportingCP96

Supports
But at the same time some of the top defenders who have been signed outside the top 5 leagues on recent years come from there.
I was talking the teams as a whole not individual players. The league is an attack based league. PSV and Ajax have both a +50 GD.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I was talking the teams as a whole not individual players. The league is an attack based league. PSV and Ajax have both a +50 GD.
Yes it is even less balanced than in Portugal and I have the idea the last placed team tries to play the same way as Ajax, I know it isn't like that but still strange. Not that I know these days the GD of the top teams in Portugal, shows how much I watch unless Sporting is playing, and that only after Peseiro. :lol:

Eriku

Vitesse struggling to see off the Kozakken boys, up pops Ødegaard in the 93rd minute.

Lovely to see him finally delivering when it matters, even if it’s against lower opposition. Seems to have taken serious strides in terms of consistency and involvement.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Impressive showing.
Need to move somewhere else though, he is never getting into that Real Madrid squad unless he literally becomes the best player in the Eredivisie, just playing good there isn't gonna give him the credibility he'd need to get into their squad.